Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 11th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Passenger

Default 45 Day Letter

Got my 45 day letter today. Only said "thanks for cruising with us and sending a letter and we look forward to you sailing on Carnival again". No call this number and get something for free. Has anyone else had this happen?
Sponsored Links
Old December 12th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to JamesRT Send a message via MSN to JamesRT Send a message via Yahoo to JamesRT
Default Re: 45 Day Letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggplant
Got my 45 day letter today. Only said "thanks for cruising with us and sending a letter and we look forward to you sailing on Carnival again". No call this number and get something for free. Has anyone else had this happen?
Yup! Same thing here, just a "Thank You" letter!
Old December 12th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I believe it is a combination of the economy and the over abuse of passengers to get a free bon voyage gift. It was stopped a month or two ago. I sent a letter, but I was not in it for a freebie, I wanted to let them know about how well run the ship was and how much fun it was, even though we we routed West because of Ike.

The era of free stuff for writing a letter, good or bad, is gone! We will all have to get used to it!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old December 13th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Cruise Maniac

That stinks, I won't bother writing the letter I was getting ready to do. I can understand the financia impact all companies are having now. I can't believe some of the prices out there right now. They are almost giving alway cruises to people.l
Old December 13th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I guess I am uninformed. What is the 45-day letter? Was this an official thing, or just something that people found out might get them a little freebie.

Old December 13th, 2008, 11:46 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
I guess I am uninformed. What is the 45-day letter? Was this an official thing, or just something that people found out might get them a little freebie.
me too i have no idea
Old December 13th, 2008, 11:59 PM
Admiral

Where you right to Carnival complaining or telling them how good your cruise was. They will send you a letter back telling you thank you or if you are lucky they will say call us back at this #, 45 days before your next cruise.

Then you will call them 45 days before your next cruise and they will ask you what you want. I can't remember what the choices used to be, but that is basically what it is.

It is a shame they aren't doing it anymore, a lot of people probably won't write anymore. But I guess in these times they have to do, what they have to do. Anyways they are selling cruises pretty cheep now, so that is good.

Past Cruises:
Carnival Ecstasy (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2003
Carnival Pride (7 Day Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Spirit (8 Day Exotic Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Freedom (7 Day Western Caribbean) 2008
Carnival Elation (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2009
Carnival Spirit (7 Day Southbound Alaska) 2009
Old December 14th, 2008, 12:08 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Well, I was thinking how much the fuel supplement changes must be affecting them financially. Think about going from collecting about $140 per cabin to having to give away $140/cabin in onboard credit.

I see cruise fares have already gone up for Carnival, the $329 cruises are long gone now.

Now, fuel IS much cheaper for them than it was before, so they make a lot of money back that way, but still, I'll feel they may be kicking themselves for saying in print they would rescind the surcharges at a certain point (under $70/barrel for 25 days in a row) because I think it came much faster than they ever expected.

Old December 14th, 2008, 01:01 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Well, I was thinking how much the fuel supplement changes must be affecting them financially. Think about going from collecting about $140 per cabin to having to give away $140/cabin in onboard credit.

I see cruise fares have already gone up for Carnival, the $329 cruises are long gone now.

Now, fuel IS much cheaper for them than it was before, so they make a lot of money back that way, but still, I'll feel they may be kicking themselves for saying in print they would rescind the surcharges at a certain point (under $70/barrel for 25 days in a row) because I think it came much faster than they ever expected.
You are right, I also don't think they expected it to drop so fast.

Carnival did it different becuase pretty much all other cruise lines said it had to stay under $65.

Past Cruises:
Carnival Ecstasy (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2003
Carnival Pride (7 Day Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Spirit (8 Day Exotic Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Freedom (7 Day Western Caribbean) 2008
Carnival Elation (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2009
Carnival Spirit (7 Day Southbound Alaska) 2009
Old December 17th, 2008, 02:21 AM
Passenger

[quote="Paul Motter"]Well, I was thinking how much the fuel supplement changes must be affecting them financially. Think about going from collecting about $140 per cabin to having to give away $140/cabin in onboard credit.

Well maybe yes and maybe no. Here is an interesting tidbit of information. We booked our Nov 09 Cruise this past November 08. We booked a Cat 11, aft wrap around balcony, because it was available and we could not resist. At any rate, the cruise fare was $1,349 p/p plus the $72 fuel fee per person, plus taxes, etc....So, now 04 Dec 08 rolls around and the fuel surcharge is suspended (We are waiting to get our refund for this).

Now.......Those booking after 04 Dec 09 for this same cruise (for a Cat 11) no longer pay the fuel surcharge ($72.00 p/p).....unfurtunately, the fare p/p is now $1,429.00.....$80.00 p/p more. Those booking now are actually paying more money for this cruise than they were prior to the fuel surcharge suspension. As I recall, all of the stateroom catagories for this cruise (Spirit/Nov 09/8 day Mexican Riviera) went up $80.00 p/p after the fuel surcharge was suspended. No loss of money on Carnival's part here.

As Carnival also stated previously, at some point they were going to rescind the fuel surcharges anyway and go with an increase in the fare per person for the staterooms. It is possible this may have started sooner than we expected.
Old December 17th, 2008, 08:07 AM
Admiral

My last "45 day letter" was without a gift as well. That's O.K.,,,I'll keep writing them and letting them know about the good, and the bad on my cruises. IMO that's the only way things will get fixed, and those aboard who go above and beyond will be recognized. As a matter of fact, I have a note to Carnival on the desk that I just wrote about my recent "Miracle" cruise.

Ken
"SKY"
Old December 19th, 2008, 01:16 AM
First Mate

I agree, keep writing whether good or bad, and never with just the intent of getting a freebie. The only way they can improve on things is to know what they need to improve. Also, think about those that went out of the way to make your vacation more enjoyable. I wouldn't let the fact that I no longer get a freebie keep me from acknowledging them.

As for pricing and the discontinuation of the fuel supplement, I don't think they are losing anything. I had been watching a couple different sailings and found that once the fuel charge was discontinued, the fare increased by a proportionate amount. This may not have been the case on all sailings but it was on those I was watching - all 7 day Caribbean. I ended up booking the Legend out of Tampa for Mar '09.

Old December 20th, 2008, 11:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ro

I got a letter and a free gift of choice to be chosen closer to sailing on our next cruise in June 2009. I sent in the pics of all the people who helped me on The Glory this past May. I wrote their names next to the pic of them and wrote a two page letter listing how they assisted me and how much it was appreciated. I had good reasons to write how these special people helped me with a disability problem I was having on the ship. I wasn't really looking for something for free I truly wanted the staff mentioned by name & thanked since I heard they mention to the staff what you said about them at the staff meetings they hold. The free gift they are giving me is nice though.

Inspiration-2004, 2005, 2009
Glory- 4/26/2009
Sensation -4/2007, 10/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Old December 22nd, 2008, 02:07 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro
I got a letter and a free gift of choice to be chosen closer to sailing on our next cruise in June 2009. I sent in the pics of all the people who helped me on The Glory this past May. I wrote their names next to the pic of them and wrote a two page letter listing how they assisted me and how much it was appreciated. I had good reasons to write how these special people helped me with a disability problem I was having on the ship. I wasn't really looking for something for free I truly wanted the staff mentioned by name & thanked since I heard they mention to the staff what you said about them at the staff meetings they hold. The free gift they are giving me is nice though.

Whoa! I almost couldn't finish reading your post without a Dramamine! What is that wave thingy?
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old December 22nd, 2008, 04:54 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencercoop
Quote:

You are right, I also don't think they expected it to drop so fast.

Carnival did it different becuase pretty much all other cruise lines said it had to stay under $65.

Look at it this way. They basically borrowed everybodys $140, stuffed it into their bank account and when you board the ship they will give it back to you interest free. Carnival didnt lose anything at all. In fact they made money. I dont feel for them one iota.
1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Freedom of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream
2012-Allure of the Seas and Navigator of the Seas
Old December 22nd, 2008, 08:33 PM
Admiral

Nothin that is my "wave" icon" or whatever you call it. You go on a site and pick something to put on your signature. Someone with more experience can tell you where they are located and how to place them on your signature. I love my wave sorry it made you dizzy. If my little wave here makes you dizzy how do you handle the real thing on the ship?

Glory- 4/26/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Old December 28th, 2008, 07:28 AM
Admiral

I forgot to say thanks to "Ferrangi" again on this web site for telling me about the 45 day letter gift. I didn't know about it before that.

Glory- 4/26/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011