Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 16th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Beginner

Default MOTION SICKNESS

hI ALL
I'm getting VERY excited about my 1st cruise in January.
Has anyone tried the band ( SEA BANDS) for motion sickness? I would hate my cruise be ruined by motion sickness or the side effect of pills.
Any help on the bands would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old December 16th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Admiral

I personally have never tried the sea bands, however, I've seen a lot of them on cruises, and people I've spoken to have praised them and say they do work. In any case, give them a shot, and if you do have trouble, go to the pursers office, and they'll give you pills. (Much better than getting sick) In any case, don't worry about getting sick, as the big newer ships are stabelized, and more often than not, you don't even realize you're aboard a ship.
Have a GREAT cruise.

Ken
"SKY"
Old December 16th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ainsley

I've never used the bands but I have used the patches on every single one of my cruises since my first when I got sick. So worse case just get the patches. You change them out every 3rd day and you dont even realize they are behind your ear =)
Carnival Conquest-02.22.04
Carnival Conquest-02.06.05
Carnival Legend-3.25.06
Royal Caribbean Sovereign OTS-4.16.07
Carnival Fantasy 4.28.08
Carnival Fantasy 10.27.08
Norwegian Pearl 3.13.11
Carnival Elation 11.14.11

Future Cruises
Carnival Ecstasy 5.21.12
Old December 17th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Passenger

The motion of the ship is one of my favorite parts of the cruise, it actually rocks me to sleep at night like a baby! Sitting at dinner I can hardly stay awake as it rocks me. I wonder how anyone could get sick and not just pass out instead!!
Old December 17th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Passenger

I used bonine for the first two days after that did'nt need it anymore and i'm as scary as they come.
Old December 22nd, 2008, 02:20 PM
Captain

I have not tried the wrist bands but my sister did and still took the Dramamine. Our first few cruises I tried the patch and it worked well, but you need to put it on a couple of days prior to sailing. I had to wear it a few days after as well, until I got over the swaying feeling.

I now use the "Dramamine - Less Drowsy" on every cruise. You can take 1 or 2 in a 24 hour period. My DH and I take 1 the afternoon before we sail and then take one each night before dinner and they work great for us. The little bit of drowsiness they might cause just helps you sleep better taking it late in the day.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old December 23rd, 2008, 04:52 PM
Admiral

On my first cruise, I didn't take anything. I felt a little woozy for a few minutes, then I think I gave myself an anxiaty attach because of all the money spent for the cruise. I was worried I wouldn't be able to take the cruise...
but the time I got to the cabin to get the pills... my stomach was much better and I never took anything the entire cruise. I had sea legs for about 4 days afterward, but it didn't really bother me. I just reminded me, I need to book another cruise...
By the way, did I mention????
When I was woozy, we hadn't even left the dock yet.....
Carnival-Splendor Sept 6, 2009

Old December 23rd, 2008, 05:45 PM
Passenger

I take ginger capsules. They are a natural suppliment. I take 1 per day 3 days before & during cruise. They also work with nausea not on ship. No side effects at all. Can be found at Wal mart, vitamin stores, etc. Knock on wood I have never been seasick yet!! I also carry sea bands with me just in case . Enjoy your cruise & be prepared to be totally hooked on cruising

Ecstasy 1997
Imagination 2001
Holiday 2004
Old December 23rd, 2008, 07:51 PM
Beginner

Thanks everyone. I can't wait.
Old December 24th, 2008, 07:37 PM
First Mate

Newer ships sail very smoothly and unless you plan some very unusual areas to sail (such as the far north or far south) you should notice very little rough seas. I am sorry but I can't help you on the specific drugs you mentioned, however friends we travel with have always used a "patch".They never seem to have any problems.
Old December 26th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky Cruiser
I take ginger capsules. They are a natural suppliment. I take 1 per day 3 days before & during cruise. They also work with nausea not on ship. No side effects at all. Can be found at Wal mart, vitamin stores, etc. Knock on wood I have never been seasick yet!! I also carry sea bands with me just in case . Enjoy your cruise & be prepared to be totally hooked on cruising

Ecstasy 1997
Imagination 2001
Holiday 2004
The ginger pills sound interesting. I have known for years that ginger is good for nausea and have even used ginger snap cookies for this. I think I have a little more problem with the motion sickness due to some inner ear problems I have had all my life. Thanks, I think I will try these ginger pills next time too.
2011 Monarch of the Seas
Old December 28th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Passenger

I just got home from Freedom 8 dayer, and even though its a larger ship, several ppl including my daughter got sick on Christmas Day. It didnt hit until just before dinner 8:15 seating. My daughter ordered her food, as soon as it started to arrive she had to leave the table. Dear HUbby went to the Fun Shop and the clerk said.."its over there" hubby didnt even ask! , They both came back to the table, and she took bonine, and went to bed, she slept 18 hours!!!!!! I didnt take anything, thinking we wouldnt need anything, WRONG!!! Fantastic Cruise, still rocking! lol... s0s

December 2008 Carnival Freedom
July 2007 Carnival Holiday

Time for another "fix"........
Old December 29th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sink0rswim
I just got home from Freedom 8 dayer, and even though its a larger ship, several ppl including my daughter got sick on Christmas Day. It didnt hit until just before dinner 8:15 seating. My daughter ordered her food, as soon as it started to arrive she had to leave the table. Dear HUbby went to the Fun Shop and the clerk said.."its over there" hubby didnt even ask! , They both came back to the table, and she took bonine, and went to bed, she slept 18 hours!!!!!! I didnt take anything, thinking we wouldnt need anything, WRONG!!! Fantastic Cruise, still rocking! lol... s0s
That's why we take meds on a preventive basis - before we ever sail! Big ship - small ship - doesn't matter - I don't want to spend my cruise in the bed being sick!
2011 Monarch of the Seas
Old December 29th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Passenger

I had the meds here, just forgot them!!

December 2008 Carnival Freedom
July 2007 Carnival Holiday

Time for another "fix"........
Old December 29th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Captain

For some reason the patch looks funny behind peoples ears. I know folks who forgot about it and wore it at home for a couple days before they realized they still had it on. I am of the philosophy of not taking preventive things as I psyche myself out about getting sick. If I start to feel queasy I will have the cure ready but I try not to think too much about it. You know the ship is rocking when you see little brown bags all over the stairwells and hallways. Not a good sign of things to come...
1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Freedom of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream
2012-Allure of the Seas and Navigator of the Seas
Old December 29th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Beginner

Thanks for all the comments. I have the bracelet and went ahead and bought DRAMAMINE LESS DROWSEY. Maybe I will try it out a couple days before my cruise and see how it affects me. I too don't want my cruise wasted sleeping or in bed sick.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 10:25 PM
Passenger

I'm very prone to motion sickness, and since the Conquest did not bother to use the stabilizers on our last cruise, I had a lot of problems with queasiness. So I used my patch religiously and took ginger root pills before every meal. My nausea was very vague and quite short-lived, thank goodness. And no thanks to Carnival.
Old January 8th, 2009, 01:13 AM
Passenger

Okay, I think I am the world's worst with motion sickness...I have never let that stop me from flying, sailing, etc. I will take any pill necessary to travel and have a great time. I too have inner ear issues so I have no choice, but to do something. If you are as bad as I am...don't use the patches behind the ear...they don't work for people with inner ear issues. I swear by dramamine and meclazine. I take both. I do not get too sleepy, too much excitement on boat and that acts as an antidote to the pills in my opinion. Space each one out 12 hours apart..and you should be good around the clock. Ginger Pills are awesome also...as an earlier post stated, it is natural... I have a friend that I recommended this too and he had cancer and was taking chemo...he used the Ginger and it helped him tremendously with nausea..so definitely get those. I have purchased candied ginger to keep in my pocket and they taste good too. Sip on Ginger Ale..that's another great option...with this arsenal..you will NOT get sick and you will have the best vacation of a lifetime.
Old January 8th, 2009, 01:59 AM
Captain

i get sooooooooo sick when i fish (esp deepsea) not sure why, i even got sick on a big huge party boat that we went fishing on in florida and no one else did! However, i have never felt the slightest bit woozy on a cruise ship. My first cruise i took everything imaginable including the patches but never used them (i even bought a 100 mecclizines!) the second cruise was much much rougher and to be honest a lot of people were sick...but it didnt bother me in the least. wierd huh? I would diffinatly take something with you but i wouldnt do anything rash, find out how you feel first..you might not need it and who wants to be sleepy on a trip like this?? good luck!
Old January 10th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Passenger

I didn't think I would have a problem, and the first cruise was great. The second was so rocky they had to cancel the stage show, and I felt yucky. A table mate gate me a patch and it did the trick. I had tried the bracelets to no avail. The next trip I just took the patches with me but forgot to put them on ahead of time. So the evening we sailed, I felt a little nauseous, but was fine the rest of the time.
I haven't heard of the ginger capsuls, but if its natural, it has to be better than drugs if it works.
Hope you have a great cruise.
Barbara

Pride 10/03
Triumph 5/04
Triumph 4/07
Splendor 4/0
Dream 5/10