Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 24th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default booking excursions on your own

I'm thinking about booking my own excursions not with Carnival. I'm traveling to Grand Caymen, Cozumel and Ocho Rios. Does anyone have any good independent excursion companies they have used? Is it really cheaper to go independent? Thanks!
Old December 24th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: booking excursions on your own

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmom
I'm thinking about booking my own excursions not with Carnival. I'm traveling to Grand Caymen, Cozumel and Ocho Rios. Does anyone have any good independent excursion companies they have used? Is it really cheaper to go independent? Thanks!
I do almost all of my own excursions but I am aware that if I do it on my own, I am on my own. The ship won't wait for me and if I'm not happy with the excursion I probably won't receive a refund.

There are a number of good Sting Ray City tours, in Grand Cayman, that you can get from the pier and using a taxi on Cozumel and heading to Paradise Beach, Poncho's Beach or Chankanaab is easy and cheap.

I used to say Ocho Rios was no problem but there I would do a ship's tour rather than on your own. Ocho Rios isn't the best place to go on your own.

Have a great cruise.
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old December 25th, 2008, 12:05 AM
Admiral

Mike is correct, be carefull in Jamaica. Bob
Old December 25th, 2008, 08:45 AM
Admiral

Great Advice....

"the thing to do in Grand Cayman" is Captain Marvins...swimming with the sting rays and going to Hell....

Cozumel is easily done on your own....as long as what you want to do does not have you leaving the island. If you are into the ruins and want to do Tulum...then a ship excursion for that is a MUST. Never leave the island on an independent tour. Anything else in Cozumel...beaches, shopping etc can easily and safely be done on your own.

I agree about Jamaica....definately do a ship tour there. Ocho Rios is getting better....but still not what I would call tourist friendly like Cozumel and Grand Cayman.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old December 25th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ro

We did our own excursion shopping, touring and beach excursion using Sonny Liston in St Thomas for only 25.00 per person and loved every minute of it. In Cozumel in June 2009 we are undecided.

Inspiration-2004, 2005, 2009
Glory- 4/26/2009
Sensation -4/2007, 10/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Old December 25th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Admiral

We'll be traveling to the same ports you are in March 2009 (Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios).

We've been to all of them before and I can give you some advice. We booked Nativeways in Grand Cayman and loved them! So much we booked them again for our March Cruise. While in Cozumel we haven't decided yet. Last time we used the ships tour and this time we'll do independently. Not sure yet what though.

In Ocho Rios we used Peat Taylor last time. He was great! I highly recommend him. We are using Phil Lafayette this time though per recommendations. We wanted to just do Dunns falls only so he has a "recession" tour at only 30/pp and it entails Dunns Falls, beach and shopping, otherwise we would have probably booked Peat Taylor again.
Old December 25th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Admiral

Peat Taylor and Sonny Liston both offer great tours. Have used both. Bob
Old December 25th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

In Grand Cayman we did our own and saved about $40pp and we were swimming in the same exact area as everyone else with the sting ray's.

In Cozumel we had bad weather and many of the ships excursions were cancelled. My private excursion was not so no refund even though we could not do the water sports and the weather was poor (We did get the beach lunch promised but was not really great)

I would call it pluses and minus - Would still book privately over ship even knowing the issues.
Old January 7th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Beginner

We booked an independent tour in ocho rios with Peat Taylor he has a website www.peattaylor.com we did dunns falls and island tour. it was about $40US pp he was good
Old January 7th, 2009, 05:12 PM
First Mate

Usually for shopping, beaches, or sight seeing tours we go on our own. Anything more we book through the ship. It’s cheaper to book at the port, but even cheaper to go outside the port to where the taxis are. The tour operators out there generally price the same tours for $5-$10 less. We’ve had some really nice city, or island tours just by asking a taxi driver how much to drive around and point out the sights. Once in San Juan, five of us got a 1 hour island tour for $40 total counting tips.

2012 Carnival Destiny
2011 Carnival Splendor
2011 Carnival Pride
2010 Carnival Legend (w/ Hurricane Paula)
2010 Carnival Imagination
2009 Carnival Valor
2008 Carnival Freedom
2008 Carnival Facination
2007 Carnival Triumph
2006 Carnival Miracle
2005 Carnival Victory
2002 Carnival Imagination
Old January 7th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Altough I have never used them, over the course of my moderating years, I have only heard positive reports about Capt. Marvin, & Peat Taylor...

We took a tour in Ochos, that took us to Fern Gulley, a botanical
garden, a shopping tour, and Dunns River...we opeted to get off at the shopping tour and nix Dunns...we told the driver, but the host came chasing after us looking for a tip....!

The few times I have booked ship excursions, I always book an early tour..no worry about getting back to the ship on time.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator