Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 28th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to mscreneet
Default Excursions: Refuse to pay a ton-need suggestions

So in my opinion the excursions booked through the cruiseline are just way too expensive. I know some people feel its more safe to do it that way...but Im just not going to . Weve always done our own thing and have had pretty good luck.

Anywhoo. We will be on the seas in just a few days hitting the following ports:
San Juan PR
St Thomas , USVI
La Romana, DR
Nassau, Bahamas

Any suggestions on affordable excursions that we can do on our own.
Were a family of 4. (2 adults and 2 kids age 10 and 13)
Sponsored Links
Old December 28th, 2008, 11:52 PM
Admiral

La Romana.... There is absolutely nothing there. Either take a ships excursion or stay on the ship. There is one small tin building at the dock that has duty free items and $3 beer you can drink under a shade tree.

The other three stops will have all manner of people at the end of the dock wanting to take you on private tours of the area.
58 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X3, Triumph X2, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
8 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta X2
HAL Statendam
Old December 29th, 2008, 12:20 AM
Passenger

I didnt go to any of your destinations, but when we were in Costa Rica, Panama, we walked out and there was tents set up for private excursions, or ppl holding up signs for excursions, We took a trip to the canal, costs us 80.00 total, including tip, and tickets in to see the canal ( tickets for that were 5.00 pp)and we stayed about 3 1/2 hours, we didnt go in and see the locks itself, but im very happy with what we did see and for what we spent.
In Costa Rica, we took a private tour.Local fruit tasting, ( drinking coconut water, mangos, etc) Bananna Plantation, Eco Jungle tour, beach tour and shopping. 45.00 pp. We were gone for 5 1/2 hours. The guide would stop and let us take pictures anywhere we wanted, and some he just stopped cause he knew what we expected ( scenery). He even took pictures for us of us .

December 2008 Carnival Freedom
July 2007 Carnival Holiday

Time for another "fix"........
Old December 29th, 2008, 01:41 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

In San Juan, St. Thomas and Nassau you don't need any type of excursion or tour.

San Juan - walk up from the piers a few blocks into Old SanJuan, and on to Fort El Morro. Just tour using your feet.

St Thomas - you can take a taxi to one of the many beaches. Taxi rates are flat set fees. Or if you like take a taxi to Red Hook Ferry, take a ferry to St. Johns and a taxi to Trunk Bay.

Nassau - take a taxi or water taxi to Atlantis resort to check it out if you like. Though there's a fee to tour the facilities, and you don't get access to the pools and water parks. Personally I find Nassau a bit of a wasted stop.

La Romana is the one stop on your itinerary where I would certainly recommend a tour... whether a ship's tour or one organized in advance with a private tour company.
Old December 31st, 2008, 12:29 AM
Familiar Face

We have those same port of call, you must be on the Splendor. I booked the horseback riding with the cruise line. I feel that they should be looking after my safety. If DR is not a safe place why did Carnival pick it Kuki? I have not heard good things.
Booe's mom
Old December 31st, 2008, 10:15 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by booe's mom
We have those same port of call, you must be on the Splendor. I booked the horseback riding with the cruise line. I feel that they should be looking after my safety. If DR is not a safe place why did Carnival pick it Kuki? I have not heard good things.
Booe's mom
I never felt unsafe at La Romana. The little port area is very clean and well secured. The people actually seemed glad we were there unlike some ports of call. As the Splendor pulled away they were all lined up on the dock cheering and waving goodby. It is just that if you don't choose a ship excursion there is not much else to do.
58 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X3, Triumph X2, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
8 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta X2
HAL Statendam
Old December 31st, 2008, 11:43 AM
Familiar Face

Thank you ScurvyDog,
I feel a little better. My 74 year old parents are going too, should they book one of the beach excursions? One is supposed to be European style bathing. I don't think that is going to work, but it really seems to have alot for the money.
Booe's mom
Old December 31st, 2008, 12:39 PM
Admiral

The one you are refering to is probably "Bayahibe Beach Break". I have been on this one. You are transported by bus to an all inclusive resort and given a day pass arm band. Open bar is included but no food. There is a moderate walk to get from the bus lobby to the beach. Not enough to be a problem if your parents are in reasonably good health. Once at the beach you may see a bare boob here or there but it is not like everyone on the beach is Nekkid. 99% were wearing regular beachware.

The other one Catalina Island Beach Break I have not been on but it sounds really nice.
HAL Statendam
Old December 31st, 2008, 01:10 PM
Familiar Face

So, we have the occational topless. But NO male bottoms? My daughter is 15 topless ok but the other no. The other excusion doesn't provide the towels and beach chair and open bar. That is why I thought this one would be nicer.
Booe's mom
Old December 31st, 2008, 01:27 PM
Admiral

Booesmom, the DR attracts lots of Europeans, therefore why you will see some topless sunbathing, but aside from that everyone keeps their pants on

Read and post cruise reviews
Old December 31st, 2008, 03:25 PM
Familiar Face

Beenie Weenie,
At least I made someone laugh at the end of this year! I am glad everyone keeps their pants on! Have a nice New Year!
Booe's mom[/code]
Old December 31st, 2008, 04:57 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki
Nassau - take a taxi or water taxi to Atlantis resort to check it out if you like. Though there's a fee to tour the facilities, and you don't get access to the pools and water parks. Personally I find Nassau a bit of a wasted stop.
Well I'd have to disagree with Kuki. I dont feel that any stop in a tropical paradise is "wasted". I've been to Nassau 3 times and love it. If you snorkle at all this is a great place to do so. On our last trip we took a cab to Atlantis. We walked around just to say we had been there. We asked the clerk at the check-in desk where the closest free beach was and he directed us about a quarter block past the resort. Not even what I'd consider a walk really. WOW, I'm glad we went. Cabbage beach was beautiful.
Carnival Legend
HAL Eurodam
Caribbean Princess

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/s...avelin&match=1
http://www.igougo.com/profile/profil...emberID=574103
http://picasaweb.google.com/beentravelin
Old January 1st, 2009, 01:59 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by beentravelin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki
Well I'd have to disagree with Kuki. I dont feel that any stop in a tropical paradise is "wasted". I've been to Nassau 3 times and love it. If you snorkle at all this is a great place to do so. On our last trip we took a cab to Atlantis. We walked around just to say we had been there. We asked the clerk at the check-in desk where the closest free beach was and he directed us about a quarter block past the resort. Not even what I'd consider a walk really. WOW, I'm glad we went. Cabbage beach was beautiful.
I'm with you on Nassau. I enjoyed the port myself. There are two intresting forts, straw market, and a pirates museum.

/ticker.png">