Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 3rd, 2009, 07:25 PM
Captain

Default Upgrade at check in?

I booked a guarantee balcony and was assigned a room number a couple months ago. As my trip is less than two weeks I noticed there are still plenty of cat 9, 11 and 12 rooms available. Does Carnival ever upgrade somebody to a better category without telling them until they arrive? If they dont sell what would be the upside of having them sit empty? I should point out that I am platinum on this cruise if it would make any difference. Anybody ever heard of this happening?
1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Freedom of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream
2012-Allure of the Seas and Navigator of the Seas
Sponsored Links
Old January 3rd, 2009, 08:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Its unlikely, but you never know...You may want to enquire when you check-in and see if any of those are still available. I just know when I booked a guarantee catagory and was assigned a cabin, that was the cabin I got...

Best of luck, lets hope you get an upgrade, would be a pleaseant suprise.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 3rd, 2009, 09:44 PM
Admiral

I have had my cabin number change maybe 3 days prior to sailing but never at check in. 8)
58 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X3, Triumph X2, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
8 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta X2
HAL Statendam
Old January 3rd, 2009, 10:28 PM
Admiral

An upgrade can happen at any time. In 14 cruises I have never had one yet. But i am always hoping!!
Old January 4th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Admiral

We got one on our last cruise. Booked Inside GUarantee, got a balcony. WooHoo! Not expecting that to ever happen again, but it sure was fun once.
Marty
Old January 5th, 2009, 07:26 PM
First Mate

Back in 2004 we had booked a Ocean View room and our kids had a Interior room directly across from us. We even had room numbers. When we got to the dock we found out that our room numbers had been changed. As soon as we got on the ship we went straight to the pursers desk to complain. Not knowing much about cruising at that time we just didn't think that it was right for them to change our rooms without asking our permission or even telling us. The lady at the pursers desk just smiled at us and I remember saying to my wife "she thinks this is funny". She then asked us if we really knew what was happening. Little did we know that we had been upgraded to a Balcony room and our kids were in the room next to us. The kids room had an obstructed view but ours was perfect. At that point all I could say was thank you very much.

Read and post cruise reviews
Read and post cruise reviews

Fascination 01/02
Imagination 07/02
Glory 07/04
Glory 12/04
Valor 12/05
Miracle 08/06
Fascination 10/06
Triumph 06/07
Inspiration 11/07
Destiny 08/08 (VIP Status)
Inspiration 11/09 (VIP Status)
Inspiration 10/10 (VIP Status)
Destiny 10/11 (VIP Status)
Enchantment of the Seas(RC)04/13
Dream 07/13
Old January 5th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Admiral

Bri - you are most likely to get upgraded when a ship fills up and your keep getting bumped up and out by other pax booking specific cabins. It doesn't make any difference to Carnival whether a cabin on deck 6 or 8 is empty - it's still empty.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old January 9th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Beginner

Default cruise

Hi briguy, sorry I don't have an answer to your question, I have one. I am planning my first cruise and see you have been on Pride several times, Why? Is it great? I am trying to plan a cruise fro my briguy ( husband Brians 50th birthday). thanks
Old January 9th, 2009, 11:51 AM
First Mate

Once, two years ago, we had a balcony on Lido, and I was thrilled. Three days before sailing, I checked online to see that all was well, and learned we had a different room. A suite on Empress at no extra cost. My husband prefers the Lido deck but I was quite happy with the suite!!!!
Thank you Carnival! This is the only time this has happened to us but we were quite appreciative. I've seen room changes listed at the pier by Holland on a blackboard and I assume these are last minute upgrades.
I haven't seen that with other lines. Good luck!