Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 9th, 2009, 12:42 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default fly or drive to the cruiseship?

We have been researching this for sometime and still can't seem to make up our minds and come to an agreement..

My husband likes the idea of taking the Carnival Dream cruise out of NY on Nov 15.. inside cabin, for a family of 4... and driving to the pier (13 hr drive) , parking at the pier, etc..

I was thinking of a lower priced cruise on say..the Freedom for half the cruise price of the Dream, still an inside cabin, one less day than the Dream as the Dream is an 8 day and Freedom is a 7 day... yet we could fly there and in total would likely be around the same cost..

He doesn't like the idea of an "old" ship.. he thinks we'd be having to deal with issues like bed bugs, smaller ship/less fun stuff, etc.. he thinks the lower priced cruises are priced lower for a reason.. and he feels airfare is tooo high these days.

What are your thoughts? are there pros and cons to either?
Sponsored Links
Old January 9th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Admiral

The Freedom is not an old ship. It came out in 2007.

Past Cruises:
Carnival Ecstasy (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2003
Carnival Pride (7 Day Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Spirit (8 Day Exotic Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Freedom (7 Day Western Caribbean) 2008
Carnival Elation (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2009
Carnival Spirit (7 Day Southbound Alaska) 2009
Old January 9th, 2009, 12:52 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencercoop
This is definitely good to know! thanks! I know someone posted here once, the years the ships debuted/launched? But I can't find that information anymore?
Old January 9th, 2009, 01:14 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosiegirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencercoop
This is definitely good to know! thanks! I know someone posted here once, the years the ships debuted/launched? But I can't find that information anymore?
I was on the Freedom in 2008 and it seemed just like new.

Past Cruises:
Carnival Ecstasy (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2003
Carnival Pride (7 Day Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Spirit (8 Day Exotic Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Freedom (7 Day Western Caribbean) 2008
Carnival Elation (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2009
Carnival Spirit (7 Day Southbound Alaska) 2009
Old January 9th, 2009, 01:37 AM
Admiral

We were on the Freedom in 2007 and it WAS new

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old January 9th, 2009, 02:15 AM
Admiral

The Carnival Freedom launched into European service March 5, 2007. I took a 14 day Transatlantic cruise on her. She is a great ship lots of great amenities. I put a link to where I got this information; that way you can show you hubby. http://www.carnival.com/cms/static_t...godmother.aspx

Do you have pets you need to board? What is the cost per day to park your car in New York? I designed myself a cost spreadsheet (in excel) so I could compare the costs of up to three cruises . There is a space for parking, pet care, I even put a space to price out gas per mile.

I suggest you do a full prices comparison to see which cruise is less expensive and by how much. Tips is $10 per person per day. So with 4 people an extra day's tips would cost an extra $40 in tips. Plus a 13 hour drive with kids in the car would not be fun.

However, the Dream is interesting to me because it has Inside Spa Rooms. This room is about $100 pp more expensive than a normal 4A inside room because it comes with perks. Below is the description from Travelocity.

Quote:
Spa Interior
This stateroom gives you private access to the spa, extra spa amenities, and unlimited access to the Thalassotherapy pool, the Thermal suite, and more. It also includes two twin beds that convert to a king, carpeting, ample drawer and closet space, private facilities (shower, basin, and toilet), telephone, and color TV showing first-run films. (185 sq. ft.)

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old January 9th, 2009, 02:19 AM
Admiral

I found this video on youtube of Carnival Freedom. http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=IfGkhZvyMSE

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old January 9th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Passenger

For me the difference between fying and driving is a matter of time and how much you have. when I have time I prefer to drive. We enjoy the trip getting there, we stop and do as we want on the way. I have the difficulties at airports now. Flying is an all day event anymore, plust you have to pay almost as much to park there as you do at a cruise termina.
We are sailing out of Miami in just a couple of weeks and we are driving. It is a 16 hour drive from my home. We are leaving on Thursday and stopping somewhere along the way to spend the night. I have a room In Miami for Friday night. We will get up Saturday morning and board the ship. But as a said we enjoy the adventure of getting there. We are thinking of Driving to Key West after we disemarbark from our cruise when we get home. For me it is always a matter of how much time you have and when you have to be home. Air fare is pretty pricey now too.
Just my opinion, I am sure there are many that feel the exact oppisite.
I feel sure you will enjoy your cruise however you get there.
I also dont think you have to worry about bedbugs no matter which ship you choose.
Enjoy
Carnival Fantasy 2008
Granduer of the seas 2005

Old January 10th, 2009, 02:21 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedman420
For me the difference between fying and driving is a matter of time and how much you have. when I have time I prefer to drive. We enjoy the trip getting there, we stop and do as we want on the way. I have the difficulties at airports now. Flying is an all day event anymore, plust you have to pay almost as much to park there as you do at a cruise termina.
We are sailing out of Miami in just a couple of weeks and we are driving. It is a 16 hour drive from my home. We are leaving on Thursday and stopping somewhere along the way to spend the night. I have a room In Miami for Friday night. We will get up Saturday morning and board the ship. But as a said we enjoy the adventure of getting there. We are thinking of Driving to Key West after we disemarbark from our cruise when we get home. For me it is always a matter of how much time you have and when you have to be home. Air fare is pretty pricey now too.
Just my opinion, I am sure there are many that feel the exact oppisite.
I feel sure you will enjoy your cruise however you get there.
I also dont think you have to worry about bedbugs no matter which ship you choose.
Enjoy

We did use the suggestion of the spreadsheet..and it works out we may save a couple hundred by driving to the pier.. not a tremendous savings for a family of four.. but we do enjoy the drives too... so.. its still a toss up on what we will end up doing..
Old January 10th, 2009, 04:12 AM
Admiral

My spreadsheet currently has 12 different 2010 cruises on it. It is nice to know the cost of everything in advance.

Okay, I did enjoy the Freedom; but if you don't mind driving to port I would book the inside spa room 4S on Dream just to have the Thalassotherapy pool (it's probably an adults only pool). Carnival Freedom has steam rooms and sauna rooms (no extra charge to use); but no Thaslassotherpy pool. Also with driving to port you don't have to worry about the weight of your bags or TSA security lines.

A Thalassotherapy pool is a giant hot tub with jets heated to 91 degrees, Celebrity Infinity has one and it was wonderful, however, the infinity didn't charge to use it. Does anyone know if the Dream will charge to use the thalassotherapy pool? If the Dream doesn't charge for the thalassotherapy pool then I would just get a 4A gty.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old January 10th, 2009, 10:12 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
Also with driving to port you don't have to worry about the weight of your bags or TSA security lines.
You also do not have to worry about arriving at the pier with just your passport and carry-on. I remember when airlines would lose your luggage for free.
Sovereign of the Seas 2007
Carnival Fantasy 2008
Carnival Fascination 9/14/09
Freedom of the Seas 11/28/10
Old January 10th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeythyme
Quote:
Also with driving to port you don't have to worry about the weight of your bags or TSA security lines.
You also do not have to worry about arriving at the pier with just your passport and carry-on. I remember when airlines would lose your luggage for free.
Thanks ..thats definitely one thing my husband worries about too.. I think we're going to be driving to NY pier and going on the Dream.. He sort of has his heart on this one..
Old January 11th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Passenger

If you do decide to fly I would be sure my flight were non stop, you stand a much better chance of not loosing your luggage with non stop. No change overs..
I have had my luggage lost on flights before and it really sucks when it happens on your way to your vacation.....
Carnival Fantasy 2008
Granduer of the seas 2005

Old January 11th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Passenger

Have done both but always prefer to drive and feel it is cheaper and less stressful (if within drivable distance of course). You just have more control with your own auto. However, there was one cruise at spring break that we drove from VA to FL that was a nightmare. Had hotel reservations along I-95 in S.C. to stop half way...traffic was horrific and we didn't arrive to our "lay over" hotel until midnight. The hotel had given away our room (even C.C. guaranteed!) and there were no more rooms available at ANY motels until Florida. At least we had a week on the ship to recover!
Old January 12th, 2009, 10:01 PM
First Mate

All I can say is have you checked the price to park at the pier in New York? :evil: :evil: It is crazy high when we checked last year.

Read and post cruise reviews

Fascination 01/02
Imagination 07/02
Glory 07/04
Glory 12/04
Valor 12/05
Miracle 08/06
Fascination 10/06
Triumph 06/07
Inspiration 11/07
Destiny 08/08 (VIP Status)
Inspiration 11/09 (VIP Status)
Inspiration 10/10 (VIP Status)
Destiny 10/11 (VIP Status)
Enchantment of the Seas(RC)04/13
Dream 07/13
Old January 12th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by airforce95
All I can say is have you checked the price to park at the pier in New York? :evil: :evil: It is crazy high when we checked last year.
Yes.. I think its $30 a day.. for 8 days = $240.. I can't get ONE flight at that price.. and we're a family of 4 so it seems worth the $240 to park.. so far.
Old January 12th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to David West Send a message via Yahoo to David West

To me its worth the flight than to drive 16 hrs. But to the DW, she would drive if it was 20 hrs She's not a fan of flying at all :o

We're driving to Tampa in May for our Legend cruise.

Happy sailing to all ;
david
Legend May 2009
Liberty - Aug.23 2008
Fantasy - Sept.22 2007
Fantasy - Sept.27 2007 (B 2 B )
Holiday- Sept.- 2006
Valor- May - 2006
Conquest- August- 2003
Inspiration-Sept.-2001
Enchanted Isle- Sept.- 1999
Old January 13th, 2009, 01:40 AM
Admiral

Default Re: fly or drive to the cruiseship?

Quote:
We have been researching this for sometime and still can't seem to make up our minds and come to an agreement..

My husband likes the idea of taking the Carnival Dream cruise out of NY on Nov 15.. inside cabin, for a family of 4... and driving to the pier (13 hr drive) , parking at the pier, etc..

I was thinking of a lower priced cruise on say..the Freedom for half the cruise price of the Dream, still an inside cabin, one less day than the Dream as the Dream is an 8 day and Freedom is a 7 day... yet we could fly there and in total would likely be around the same cost..

He doesn't like the idea of an "old" ship.. he thinks we'd be having to deal with issues like bed bugs, smaller ship/less fun stuff, etc.. he thinks the lower priced cruises are priced lower for a reason.. and he feels airfare is tooo high these days.

My thoughts are....take them or leave them....I'm with YOU ! The Freedom offers much better itineraries than the Dream, and for a better price. If you get a good price on airfare, Freedom looks to be the better deal. While the 15 Nov 09 Dream visits the Bahamas, the Freedom offers ...
7 Nov.09= San Juan, St Thomas, Antigua, BVI, and Nassau
29 Nov 09= Key West, Grand Cayman, and Jamaica
24Oct 09= Cozumel, Costa Rica, and Panama
It's been my experience that ports are what make a cruise most memorable and that differences in ships are minor relative to differences in ports of call. But that's just me and my two cent's worth.
I've visited all the islands/counties mentioned with the exception of Key West and BVI, and I were to forced to choose I would have to say that the 7 November itinerary looks great. But again that simply MY taste !! 8)

/ticker.png">
Old January 13th, 2009, 09:06 AM
First Mate

Hi Mosiegirl,

I was on chat last night with you I am also from Canada.

We always drive to either Baltimore or Cape Liberty to take our cruises, I am the chicken in the family and am terrified of flying

You can always use mapquest to see how long a drive it will be from your house to the port, I have used this in the past for our driving directions.

We have found that by driving down the day before, we usually get to the hotel somewhere between 7-9 p.m.(depending on how many pit stops we take) then relax at the hotel and we always make sure they have a restaurant so we can get some food after we get there and have breakfast in the morning. We get up the next morning, have breakfast and drive the 20 minutes to the pier ......it's sooooooo easy.

If you have any other questions, feel free to email or you can PM me on here.

Take care
Gail
Comet Cruiser

Old January 13th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comet Cruiser
Hi Mosiegirl,

I was on chat last night with you I am also from Canada.

We always drive to either Baltimore or Cape Liberty to take our cruises, I am the chicken in the family and am terrified of flying

You can always use mapquest to see how long a drive it will be from your house to the port, I have used this in the past for our driving directions.

We have found that by driving down the day before, we usually get to the hotel somewhere between 7-9 p.m.(depending on how many pit stops we take) then relax at the hotel and we always make sure they have a restaurant so we can get some food after we get there and have breakfast in the morning. We get up the next morning, have breakfast and drive the 20 minutes to the pier ......it's sooooooo easy.

If you have any other questions, feel free to email or you can PM me on here.

Take care
Gail
Comet Cruiser
Hi Gail

From Summerside, PE to NY its 13 hrs.. we were thinking of splitting that drive into two days as my husband is the only driver and I don't want him burned out before we even get on the ship..lol..
Old January 13th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoth
Quote:

My thoughts are....take them or leave them....I'm with YOU ! The Freedom offers much better itineraries than the Dream, and for a better price. If you get a good price on airfare, Freedom looks to be the better deal. While the 15 Nov 09 Dream visits the Bahamas, the Freedom offers ...
It's been my experience that ports are what make a cruise most memorable and that differences in ships are minor relative to differences in ports of call. But that's just me and my two cent's worth.
I've visited all the islands/counties mentioned with the exception of Key West and BVI, and I were to forced to choose I would have to say that the 7 November itinerary looks great. But again that simply MY taste !! 8)
Good ideas here ! thanks... I did look at the Carnival site this morning.. was thinking Jan 10-16 for $439 pp inside .. sounds like a good deal.. I just emailed Nancy Bogert for a quote including airfare.. I'm keeping my fingers crossed she can come through with a good one for us..
Old January 13th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedman420
If you do decide to fly I would be sure my flight were non stop, you stand a much better chance of not loosing your luggage with non stop. No change overs..
I have had my luggage lost on flights before and it really sucks when it happens on your way to your vacation.....
How is this for odd. I didn't lose my luggage on the flight to Miami (non-stop) or my flight from Venice, Italy to Sacramento (two stops). I did however, lose a bag on the transfer from Civitavecchia to Rome (one hour and a half drive). Next time I think I will take a private car. I had to chase down my bag through a couple of Roman Hotels. I was gotta find it if I had to search every hotel in Rome, that bag had my new italian shoes.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old January 13th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Admiral

If you cruise out of New York, you can look for Park and Fly hotels, then shuttle in and leave the car at the hotel. That may save you a few bucks. Here is a website. However, I didn't know how far JFK is from the cruise terminal.
http://www.park-stay-fly.com/jfk_park_stay_fly.html

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old January 14th, 2009, 12:41 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoth
Quote:

Good ideas here ! thanks... I did look at the Carnival site this morning.. was thinking Jan 10-16 for $439 pp inside .. sounds like a good deal.. I just emailed Nancy Bogert for a quote including airfare.. I'm keeping my fingers crossed she can come through with a good one for us..
Good luck ! 8) Let's face it....it's all good. Whatever you decide on will be great.

/ticker.png">
Old January 17th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Passenger

Yeah what I hate the most about driving is the fact that you have to drive that 13 hours home. The drive there is not so bad because of the excitement but the drive home just seems to take forever!
Old January 18th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Admiral

The only thing I can add is that we just got off the Freedom 2 months ago and she was wonderful.

The only reason I would book the Dream is if you are not a smoker and like the idea of the Spa cabins to have unlimited use of the thalasso pool.

We are booked for Dec 3rd...a Spa cabin. We had a Spa cabin on the Splendor and I loved it.

We just drove 16 1/2 hours straight from Ft. Lauderdale to Memphis... even though we had free points to fly. (that is how much I hate to fly)

But it all depends on how well your kids travel.

Whichever one you choose....I hope you have a wonderful cruise!!

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old January 18th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
If you cruise out of New York, you can look for Park and Fly hotels, then shuttle in and leave the car at the hotel. That may save you a few bucks. Here is a website. However, I didn't know how far JFK is from the cruise terminal.
http://www.park-stay-fly.com/jfk_park_stay_fly.html
thanks.. this may come in very handy..
Old January 20th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Captain

Hi There,

Just looking at the statements that Summerside to New York is a 13 hour drive. In no way do I want to be a wet blanket, but I drive from Fredericton, New Brunswick to Florida two to three times per year and the drive to New York can be 11 hours or it can be 16. The drive south to as far as Boston is normally free sailing, depending on the time of day or the route, Boston could hold you up an hour easily. Then there is navigating New York's traffic and let me tell you that easily affects travel time.

If it were me I'd still drive, because it is far cheaper than flying and you get there with everything you left with. However, just don't set your hopes on getting there in 13 hours unless you are travelling at off peak times in perfect weather. In December it took us 18 hours from New York City to home, we had traffic then unfortunately we ran into bad weather.

I don't mind sharing tips and stuff if you need them just let me know : ) The drive is part of the adventure for us and the kids are so accustomed to it now, they even have their favorite places to stop for a bathroom stop!
Old January 20th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

I was going north to NY not south like you, but I took the amtrak. It was cheaper that the parking at the port.
1 NCL
1 American Hawaii
1 Celebrity
Holland America 1/15/11
Old January 21st, 2009, 07:32 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Littletime
Hi There,

Just looking at the statements that Summerside to New York is a 13 hour drive. In no way do I want to be a wet blanket, but I drive from Fredericton, New Brunswick to Florida two to three times per year and the drive to New York can be 11 hours or it can be 16. The drive south to as far as Boston is normally free sailing, depending on the time of day or the route, Boston could hold you up an hour easily. Then there is navigating New York's traffic and let me tell you that easily affects travel time.

If it were me I'd still drive, because it is far cheaper than flying and you get there with everything you left with. However, just don't set your hopes on getting there in 13 hours unless you are travelling at off peak times in perfect weather. In December it took us 18 hours from New York City to home, we had traffic then unfortunately we ran into bad weather.

I don't mind sharing tips and stuff if you need them just let me know : ) The drive is part of the adventure for us and the kids are so accustomed to it now, they even have their favorite places to stop for a bathroom stop!
My kids are the same way..we drive everywhere, they are used to the long stretches in the car and yes..have their fav bathroom stops too....

We figure we are going to split the drive into two days since hubby is the only driver.. so he's going to push it to his limit on day one, and relax some on day two.. should make for a better drive there.. either way, we're going to have fun..