Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 9th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default New Carnival Pricing Program

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/news/

This is very good news from Carnival.

Though it seems 360 degrees from what they recently announced, saying they would NOT give reductions or onboard credits for price reductions after final payments were made.

I suppose, in this economy, it shows how quickly cruise line policies can react.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Sponsored Links
Old January 10th, 2009, 02:26 AM
Captain

I don't know about you, but I wouldnt lock into that program with the nonrefundable deposit a year or two out like I book now. I might transfer into it last minute at most.

I dont think it's going to help the far out bookings if others are like me. It's going to encourage folks to wait to book if they know they can get a big discount, but have to be ready to commit and sure they wouldnt cancel. Who knows a year or two out what will happen in your life?
Old January 10th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: New Carnival Pricing Program

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki
http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/news/

This is very good news from Carnival.

Though it seems 360 degrees from what they recently announced, saying they would NOT give reductions or onboard credits for price reductions after final payments were made.

I suppose, in this economy, it shows how quickly cruise line policies can react.
Is this applicable to previously, paid in full cruises?
Old January 10th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Cruise Maniac

That article is a good news/bad news one. Carnival has $1,200 of my money right now for a deposit on a cruise in September. There's no way I'd want that money to be a non-refundable deposit. This cruise is 9 months away --you never know what life is going to deal you - will your travel insurance give you that back if you can't go by final payment? Lots of issues here
Old January 10th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Admiral

You're in essence risking 50 deposit to guarantee the benefit of any price reductions.

I'd imagine that insurance would cover the $50 if you had to cancel for an "insurable reason"... but you'll have to check on your individual policies, since this a new policy by Carnival, the insurers will need time to consider what parts they'll insure.
Old January 10th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Captain

Non refundable deposits? That to me is unfair. Even if someone cancels and gets a refund of their deposit, Carnival will still have made some interest on it. Gone will be the days of booking a year in advance.
1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Freedom of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream
2012-Allure of the Seas and Navigator of the Seas
Old January 10th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Admiral

Not such a great deal. So if you book say 8 months in advance on a "Early Saver" then 2 weeks later there is an illness, death or job loss in the family you now lost your deposit money?

I'm not a fan of OBC I want the difference back on my credit card.

CQ's Cruise Resume

Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x2
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old January 10th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Captain

Quote:
You're in essence risking 50 deposit to guarantee the benefit of any price reductions.

I'd imagine that insurance would cover the $50 if you had to cancel for an "insurable reason"... but you'll have to check on your individual policies, since this a new policy by Carnival, the insurers will need time to consider what parts they'll insure.
What $50?? The only $50 I can think of you mean is the $50 pp you can pay to transfer to another date? Better than losing $250 pp deposit, so yes, you could pay to transfer I was thinking.
Old January 10th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Admiral

My cruise went down $225.00 so I called and they adjusted the price. It dosn't reflect the fuel charge until closer to the date it case the fuel price goes up again so as long as it stays the same we saved $75.00 per person ( three of us)
Old January 13th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

I am still wondering how this will work. I was doing some price shopping on www.carnival.com today and I did not see this new fare. Maybe it is going to take a few more days to roll out. Anyone else been able to find these "new fares"? Still want to see how much "cheaper" they are going to be. Thanks!

Royal Caribbean Majesty of the Seas 12/4/2009 Bahamas
Carnival Valor 3/9/2008 Eastern Caribbean
Royal Caribbean Voyager of the Seas 6/24/2006 Western Mediterranean
Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas 5/29/2006
Carnival Conquest 6/20/2004 Western Caribbean
Royal Caribbean Sovereign of the Seas 12/20/2002 Bahamas
Old January 13th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowers
Quote:

What $50?? The only $50 I can think of you mean is the $50 pp you can pay to transfer to another date? Better than losing $250 pp deposit, so yes, you could pay to transfer I was thinking.
Right... you can change to a different sailing date for $50. If you had to cancel entirely, travel insurance should cover all costs as it normally would.
Old January 13th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Captain

Hello All,

PLEASE don't think me horrible right off the bat, I just want to present a different point of view. I wouldn't risk this on the other boards, but here I feel pretty safe : ) In all the cruises that we have taken, especially those with Carnival I have only ever asked for a rate adjustment once and that was because the rate dropped within 2 hours of me booking and I just thought that was plain unfair. When I look at it, to me asking for a credit because the rate changed when the company couldn't sell a product at the higher price just doesn't seem like you're playing nice. When I see a blouse in a store in the brand new spring arrivals and I like it, I pay the $40 for it. When the same blouse goes on sale once summer gets closer I don't take my blouse in and ask for the difference. I look at it as having the benefit of knowing I got the blouse in my size and exact color preference without having to guess and time the sales to get it for a better price. The blouse may have hung in my closet for two months while I waited for the snow to melt, but it's mine and I have the sure thing. When I book early, I am booking for peace of mind, I can book my airfare, and make plans and I have booked at a price that I can afford, otherwise I would not have bothered to book.

Looking at Carnival's new program I don't see me using that fare code. By the looks of it, you have to select a cabin assignment and so far I've been doing awesome with the guarantees. Plus, the whole nonrefundable deposit just doesn't work for me. The idea of losing my "risk free" until 90 days out just doesn't appeal to me. At $50 pp I lose $200 right off the bat if I can't confirm a new date at the time of cancellation. For many this will appeal but for me and I am sure there has to be at least one other like me, it has no appeal whatsoever.
Old January 14th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

2Littletime, I see and understand what you are saying. Most people that cruise aren't as fully addicted as us on this board. They do not check the price of their cruise 2+ times a week AFTER they book it, and the cruiselines know this. If they keep the 5-10% of people that check the price often happy then the other 90-95% still keep the higher price and they are still happy!

This new pricing is almost like airlines. You gave us this money and we will let you keep that money if you pay a change fee ($50). It will be interesting to see if it works. I am a big planner, and I could see this working for me unless some strange circumstances came up. The price difference would have to be decent (~20% or more) for me to consider it.

And again I will ask ... Has anyone see these fares online anywhere?
Old January 14th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

2Littletime, sorry I forgot one thing

As for Guarantee cabins working out, I hope you keep your good luck. I have done it two times and the second time will probably be the last!! We had a cabin right beside the elevators and atrium. It was not a total nightmare b/c we try to be flexible and know that anything can happen when doing guarantees, but people wake-up early on a cruise ship!!

Old January 14th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncstate7991
2Littletime, sorry I forgot one thing

As for Guarantee cabins working out, I hope you keep your good luck. I have done it two times and the second time will probably be the last!! We had a cabin right beside the elevators and atrium. It was not a total nightmare b/c we try to be flexible and know that anything can happen when doing guarantees, but people wake-up early on a cruise ship!!
Ah yes, I do recall one guarantee that we booked several years back that saw us in a cabin directly under a bar/disco during spring break. That was a little rough, I guess I'd forgotten that. Typically we have had super luck though, 1 lousy assignment in the last 8 or 10 bookings was not too bad. We loved the free upgrade from a 4A to a 6C on the 2nd last cruise, that was a treat that we certainly hadn't expected. You and I wouldn't be good shipmates, I'm an early bird, but I'm respectful, I can sneak out of a cabin with my two kids and husband still sleeping and they don't move a muscle : )
Old January 14th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncstate7991
2Littletime, I see and understand what you are saying. Most people that cruise aren't as fully addicted as us on this board. They do not check the price of their cruise 2+ times a week AFTER they book it, and the cruiselines know this. If they keep the 5-10% of people that check the price often happy then the other 90-95% still keep the higher price and they are still happy!

This new pricing is almost like airlines. You gave us this money and we will let you keep that money if you pay a change fee ($50). It will be interesting to see if it works. I am a big planner, and I could see this working for me unless some strange circumstances came up. The price difference would have to be decent (~20% or more) for me to consider it.

And again I will ask ... Has anyone see these fares online anywhere?
I must say that I agree that the folks that watch the price are the minority but I remember reading in a corporate magazine a few years back that these price adjustments were being made to almost 20% of the bookings that were made more than 1 year in advance. That has to be hard to run a company when no matter what you don't know what your revenue will be until the last minute.

As for the planning, I'm a planner too but I also know that life is unpredictable: the court clerk will extend a hearing into your vacation schedule, your kids will have their exam schedules changed, etc. these aren't things that insurance covers. I remember how hard I had to fight with the insurance when my basement filled with 2 feet of raw sewage and the insurance company couldn't understand why I didn't think I could cruise only two months after the event.

I haven't yet seen any of these super prices, we'll have to see what they throw our way before I say no way, not ever.
Old January 14th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Admiral

I booked in Oct for a Dec 2009 cruise. It's not a early saver or at least I wasn't told that it was. I did pick my stateroom and I was told that my deposit was refundable up until Oct. Should I be checking into this?
I a little confused

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old January 14th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Captain

I believe the early saver program is for bookings on, or after Jan. 12th. I spoke with my PVP at Carnival, and she said it was as much as 25% savings. She also said it was for all sailings. We are planning one for 2010 and will use it then I would imagine. It is easier for us to plan further ahead. My DW does not work, no kids at home. This means we have less of a chance for our trip to be cancelled at the last min. I am somewhat of a gambler. I sure it is not for everyone.

Gary
Glory Western 2-07
Ecstasy 01-08
Ecstasy Feb. 1st. & Feb. 6th. 2010 B to B
Freedom 12-12-10
Freedom 09-24-11
Triumph 09-10-12
Triumph 09-15-12
Triumph 09-23-13
Triumph 09-28-13

Old January 16th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

Okay, as of now you have to either call Carnival or your TA to get the non-refundable numbers. They will probably make them available soon online to everyone, but for now it is so new and possibly confusing that they do not want any confusion and negative customer issues b/c of this.

Old January 31st, 2009, 05:33 AM
Familiar Face

[color=#444444]Enough time has passed and I have seen the new prices: amounted to a $90.00 pp savings for our little group. We took them up on the offer for an October '09 sailing, and got a OBC besides.

I don't have as many complications in my life as others, so I guess that's why they have different programs. We all get to choose what risks we are willing to take. But for me, I saved $90, plus the $50 OBC, and if I have to change it costs me $50 to change to another cruise. I know I am going to cruise again, so it's a no-brainer for me. The final payment isn't due until August, so even if something happened and I could never cruise again I might not lose it all anyway. If I could never cruise again then the lost money would probably be the least of my worries.

I also was told the the $50 change fee also allows a name change... so if I can't go, I can let someone else go in my place.

I don't accept the "if I bought a blouse" argument because CCL is offering me an inducement and making me a promise that the price won't go down again. How do they make me believe them? By offering to match the lower price. In exchange, they get people to cruise who might have cut back and not cruised at all. We both get what we want.

There are differences between insurance and the $50 change fee, but I certainly think paying a "maybe" $50 fee to move my cruise makes more sense than paying a insurance fee to get my money back and stay home, or pay more for a cruise later on.

But that's why they have the buffet... we all get to choose what we want! Just keep on sailing!
Old February 2nd, 2009, 05:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via ICQ to LeeandKelli

HI... I guess I will offer my opinon. We just got back from a nice five night cruise on the Destiny. I got a good rate on a balcony cabin. We liked that cruise so much we booked the same cruise for 1/25/2010, we saved 200.00 from what we paid for the one we just took. We did have to pick our cabin and we picked another balcony cabin in a better location.

This will be our 20th cruise, not all w/Carnival but the reduced pricing was what made our choice a good deal. We have never had to cancel a prior cruise and we hope that will be the case for next year. We are going to buy trip insurance just in case, that was only 60.00. I guess it all depends on how everyone can make vacation plans? I guess there is no right or wrong way, it just worked out for us! Any cruise is a good cruise!

Lee & Kelli