Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 9th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Passenger

Default Dominica?

Does anyone have advise on what to do while in Dominica? I have read that kayaking and snorkeling are great there, but, for the moment, Carnival only has one excursion to choose from at that stop for our sailing date. Has anyone ever booked something themselves on this island? We tend to do our own thing a lot rather than paying Carnival for excursions, but I don't know much about Dominica.
Sponsored Links
Old January 9th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

I did Trafalgar Falls and Emerald Pool (the best of dominica excursion) through Carnival and loved it. Whatever, you do, make sure you get something that takes you all over and inland. Dominica is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen.

Google Dominica excursions and you'll come up with some private tour options.

It's pretty. Don't miss it
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old January 10th, 2009, 07:04 PM
First Mate

We did the Trafalgar Falls tour while there. We did not go thru the ship. I have to say it was one of the best tours that we went on. The tour guide was great.

Read and post cruise reviews

Fascination 01/02
Imagination 07/02
Glory 07/04
Glory 12/04
Valor 12/05
Miracle 08/06
Fascination 10/06
Triumph 06/07
Inspiration 11/07
Destiny 08/08 (VIP Status)
Inspiration 11/09 (VIP Status)
Inspiration 10/10 (VIP Status)
Destiny 10/11 (VIP Status)
Enchantment of the Seas(RC)04/13
Dream 07/13
Old January 11th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Passenger

Thank you both for the helpful info. Airforce95, do you remember the name of the company you booked with?
Old January 11th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Admiral

Yes I can second or third that ! Trafalgar Falls & Emerald Pools was a great trip when I took it last year. Don't be discouraged if tours aren't being posted on Carnival's web-site....they will come ! Sometimes they take their time putting them on-line.
My impression of Dominica is that it's a lovely island which hasn't been overly developed to become a tourist trap. It didn't strike me as a beach and party kind of place, it's more the nature lovers destination.
If one is into hiking this is the place! The waterfalls are simply wonderful. Last year I had booked Sari Sari Falls tour but had to back out due to a terrible head cold so I went to Trafalgar & Emerald Pools shore excursion, which is a lot easier. Still I slipped down 3 times so my advice is wear sturdy shoes.
Have fun !

/ticker.png">
Old January 11th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Admiral

Check out dominica.dm. We did the aerial tram - it was fabulous but I would like to do something more active next time around. I found Dominica a beautiful and fascinating island. We did our excursion through Carnival, there cost was not much more than the base cost of the attraction plus included transportation.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Old January 11th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Admiral

I would check site seeing in Dominica to get ideas. There is so much to do on this truely beautiful island. We did an all day tour, including the falls. The biggest problem we had, too much squeezed into one day, it was a private tour and the first time we ever came close to missing the ships departure..Boy were we a bunch of nervous sailors..

Nita
Old January 12th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Cruise Maniac

We did the wacky Rollers adventure through the ship and wished we had picked something different. We went to the falls but we had to ride in old military jeeps. They crammed us in there and it was close to miserable but the falls are really pretty. Worth seeing but I would pick a different excursion then wacky rollers. Also some people we met got into a taxi at the pier and said they felt really unsafe. So if you are going to book an excursion on your own make sure you do your research. I don't know about anyone else but I didn't feel particularly safe here either. It's beautiful but I just sort of had that uneasy feeling when walking around town.
Mariner of the seas 2008
Old January 12th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmith91303
We did the wacky Rollers adventure through the ship and wished we had picked something different. We went to the falls but we had to ride in old military jeeps. They crammed us in there and it was close to miserable but the falls are really pretty. Worth seeing but I would pick a different excursion then wacky rollers. Also some people we met got into a taxi at the pier and said they felt really unsafe. So if you are going to book an excursion on your own make sure you do your research. I don't know about anyone else but I didn't feel particularly safe here either. It's beautiful but I just sort of had that uneasy feeling when walking around town.
wow, how many years ago was this? We felt completely safe except for our nutty race car driver trying to get us to the ship on time.. I guess everyone has his/her own feelings, there are a few ports I do not feel safe, Dominica certainly wasn't one of them.

Nita
Old January 12th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Admiral

The roads are pretty crazy on Dominica so it takes a bit of an iron will to drive there I'd imagine.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Old January 12th, 2009, 08:57 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by alteredtyme
Thank you both for the helpful info. Airforce95, do you remember the name of the company you booked with?
Don't remember the name of the company. We found a tour guide after we got off the boat. It was a group of us so we took up a entire bus. Because we filled up the bus with our group we got the tour for $15 PP.

Fascination 01/02
Imagination 07/02
Glory 07/04
Glory 12/04
Valor 12/05
Miracle 08/06
Fascination 10/06
Triumph 06/07
Inspiration 11/07
Destiny 08/08 (VIP Status)
Inspiration 11/09 (VIP Status)
Inspiration 10/10 (VIP Status)
Destiny 10/11 (VIP Status)
Enchantment of the Seas(RC)04/13
Dream 07/13
Old January 13th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Captain

Dominica is one of our favorite ports of call. What an incredible place! We felt completely safe. We walked to the end of the pier, negotiated a tour with a taxi van, and told him about the highlights that we really wanted to see, he took us all over the island and to many sites. The beach was a little strange with the black sand but lovely none the less. I think we paid about $20 a person and he let our youngest travel free. We were a group of 12 on that trip. We really want to go back to Dominica but I think it will have to be for a true vacation, the one day there at a time is just too much of a tease...
Old January 13th, 2009, 09:15 PM
First Mate

Love Dominica!

We did the rain forest aerial tram. It was pretty expensive, $89 or $98 I think, but well worth it in my opinion. It took us about an hour winding our way through the mountains and then the actual tram is about an hour round trip… a little longer if you take the 20-30 minute hike down from the top and catch the tram again. Not a lot of animals but beautiful scenery.

Old January 14th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Passenger

Thanks! It sounds like we're going to have a hard time making up our minds about what to do on Dominica!
Old January 14th, 2009, 01:54 PM
First Mate

been there three times. falls and emerald pool were ok, but don't expect niagara, though they like to say it is; pool is about the size of a large bathtub. ariel tram was nice, though expensive, but the bus ride there was pretty. last time, i retreated to the ship, too many hawkers and so forth just making life miserable in town, which isn't much to begin with. stick with the tours. personally, i would not trust those locals who hawk tours, but that is just me.