Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 11th, 2009, 12:28 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy
Default Alaska excursions - expensive - flights and dog sledding etc

The excursions are finally coming out for my Alaska trip in May. I have been looking over the excursion list it seems like for months! I have had my heart set on the flight and glacier trek in Juneau and the dog sledding on a glacier in Skagway. So far the Juneau excursions are out and the trek is 450.00 per person. YIKES. I have saved and saved but its just so hard to put 900.00 out for the 2 of us for 2.5 hrs. The dog sledding in Juneau is 600.00 PER person! Thats 1200.00! YIKES double! If anyone has been on these excursions (and I want the dog sledding on a glacier, not land) can you please tell me if this price is worth it or should we settle for something a little less expensive. Thanks for all your advice!
Old January 11th, 2009, 01:00 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I did the heli ride and glacial dog sledding out of Juneau, and it was incredible. Loved it, and though I wouldn't do it again, it was worth every penny.

If you want to control the budget, Alaska isn't the best place to do it, as the most exciting tours are expensive.

I'd suggest doing the heli and dog sledding out of Juneau, and in Skagway there are many more options, that are less costly.

You can rent a vehicle, drive up the White Pass, or go out to the Chilakoot Trail. Lots of beautiful country to see without spending big $.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old January 11th, 2009, 01:04 AM
Admiral

i know but I really wanted to also do the helitrek (glacier walk for 2 hours) and its only offered in Juneau. Thats why I might have to do the dog sledding in skagway. did you pay 605.00 for your excursion?
Old January 11th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Admiral

$600 per person? holy !@#%^* I have done Alaska twice and agree that the good ones are costly, but $600 is too much for me at least. That would pay for a Caribbean cruise !!!
I noticed that bus tours are cheaper but if the tour requires riding a plane, helicopter, dune buggy, Jeep, ATV, or anything so exotic,.....better bring full wallet.
If one is just happening to be looking for an inexpensive experience in Juneau, the Mildenhall Glacier and Mount Roberts are worthwhile. I did those two attractions in 2003, and while in Juneau in 2004 I did a nature hike. LOVELY AREA ! None need to go bankrupt simply to enjoy that town.

NEVER THE LESS I have spent $$$ on some of the fancier Alaskan tours. White Pass Railroad was $100 well spent. The Misty Fjords float-plane & boat was $200 and lovely. My only problem was the airplane ride from the Fjords back into town was too short. The boat trip out was much better, at least in my opinion.

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Old January 11th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Admiral

Yep - Juneau 605 and 629 for dog sledding and 450 for the glacier trek. Oh I wish you wouldn't have said it would have cost a cruise - now I have my doubts again. I wish people who have done these excursions would come on this board to let me know if its worth it or not. I planned for expensive excursions - but didn't think they would be THAT expensive you know? When will I walk on a glacier again tho?
Old January 11th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Admiral

This is why my hubby and I did the dog sledding on land and not the glacier. It was quite a bit cheaper and we got to see the camp where the dogs are kept and the little puppies. Aren't they cute.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old January 11th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...ure-090308.cfm

Please read my article on Juneau above. You will see how to book those tours NOT through the ship. FYI: I heard the glacier walk is better than the dog-sledding. On both the main thing is being on the glacier. The dogs are cute, but dogs are cure everywhere. The walk is better because it is cheaper per person and you spend more time on the actual glacier.

I would recommend whale watching over doing two nearly identical glacier adventures. Once again read my article.
Old January 11th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Admiral

This is true - about the 2 glacier excursions. Is the prices of Temsco much cheaper than the cruise ship? I am soooooo scared to have a excursion and miss the ship because i didn't book through the ship. Your article was great. Thanks for sharing
Old January 11th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Don't worry about missing the ship, these people get 90% of their business from cruise ships - if you tell them you are on a ship they will take care of you.
Old January 11th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I am pretty sure the tours are under $200 / person for glacier walk (I don't remeber, could be $120, or $160, not sure). As I recall the do0g sledding was about $240.

I read someplace the "pilot's choice" tour was the best value.

http://www.temscoair.com/tours/juneau.html

FYI: the whale watching in Juneau was also amazing - well worth it. Even a visit to Mendenhall which costs $13 RT was a good adventure. We saw wild bears feeding on slamon, and you get close to the same glacier.

Alaska tourism is very well developed and easy to do on your own. Is the USA after all.
Old January 11th, 2009, 11:57 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Alaska excursions - expensive - flights and dog sledding

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylroy
The excursions are finally coming out for my Alaska trip in May. I have been looking over the excursion list it seems like for months! I have had my heart set on the flight and glacier trek in Juneau and the dog sledding on a glacier in Skagway. So far the Juneau excursions are out and the trek is 450.00 per person. YIKES. I have saved and saved but its just so hard to put 900.00 out for the 2 of us for 2.5 hrs. The dog sledding in Juneau is 600.00 PER person! Thats 1200.00! YIKES double! If anyone has been on these excursions (and I want the dog sledding on a glacier, not land) can you please tell me if this price is worth it or should we settle for something a little less expensive. Thanks for all your advice!
I am going with 14 people including me. So that is going to be a lot of money for whatever shore excursions we do. So I better start saving more!

If you have any info about any of the ports becuase I am doing the Southbound too. It would save me soooo much time becuase I have to worry about 14 people. That is a lot of work for all the tickets, fun pass, etc. So if you would please help me by giving me an info you have, it would be great!

Past Cruises:
Carnival Ecstasy (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2003
Carnival Pride (7 Day Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Spirit (8 Day Exotic Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Freedom (7 Day Western Caribbean) 2008
Carnival Elation (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2009
Carnival Spirit (7 Day Southbound Alaska) 2009
Old January 12th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Yep - Juneau 605 and 629 for dog sledding and 450 for the glacier trek. Oh I wish you wouldn't have said it would have cost a cruise - now I have my doubts again. I wish people who have done these excursions would come on this board to let me know if its worth it or not. I planned for expensive excursions - but didn't think they would be THAT expensive you know? When will I walk on a glacier again tho?
I attempt to offer empathy not discouragement ! 8)

/ticker.png">
Old January 12th, 2009, 06:30 AM
Admiral

Thoth - I know. Thanks!
Old January 12th, 2009, 06:32 AM
Admiral

Paul , will definitely check into it. Will let you know. I havn't found anything yet. Did find the trek off of Mendenhall glacier - but it doesn't include a plane ride. Might do that. Want to do a plane flight seeing ride somewhere - whether its with excursion or not.
Spencer - go to each city and have them send you a guide for each. Very helpful.
Old January 12th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Paul , will definitely check into it. Will let you know. I havn't found anything yet. Did find the trek off of Mendenhall glacier - but it doesn't include a plane ride. Might do that. Want to do a plane flight seeing ride somewhere - whether its with excursion or not.
Spencer - go to each city and have them send you a guide for each. Very helpful.
Thank you for the suggestion.

Past Cruises:
Carnival Ecstasy (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2003
Carnival Pride (7 Day Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Spirit (8 Day Exotic Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Freedom (7 Day Western Caribbean) 2008
Carnival Elation (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2009
Carnival Spirit (7 Day Southbound Alaska) 2009
Old January 13th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Just to you know - temsco is one of the majot companies in Junues, skagway and other cities offering glacier walks - but they use helicopters, not planes. Helicopters are more manueverable and can easily land on glaciers, but planes can cover more distance.

that could be one reason Temsco copters are cheaper, they take off & land on glacier within 15-20 minutes.
Old January 13th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Admiral

Why are they so much more cheaper than when you book directly with cruise line?