Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 17th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Admiral

Default Oh No - Not Again !

Reports this morning of an elderly couple missing from Carnival out of Long Beach Cal. They are suspected of falling overboard OR never returning to the ship (hard to believe they wouldn't be missed). Hope they are found enjoying Catalina Island or whatever.
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Sponsored Links
Old January 17th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

yes, just saw this this morning. Cabin was locked from the inside and balcony unlocked.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28704127/

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old January 17th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Cruise Maniac

If this keeps up they may do away with balconys!!!!
Old January 17th, 2009, 01:03 PM
First Mate

Once again the associated press has used the term" fell "of of the ship. There needs to be a concerted campain initiated by the cruise industry to dispell this mith. Those of us who cruise know how difficult it would be to fall overboard if you use common sense. Notice we don't see many children ( the most likely age group to fall overboad ) going missing. Many people I know use the falling overboard excuse for not cruising. These same people jump into their car and drive hundreds of miles totally oblivious to the fact that it is much more likely that they will be in an accident in an automobile than to fall of a cruise ship. I'll get off of my soap box now.
2004 "Glory"
2004"Victory"
2007 "Liberty"
2007" Explorer of the Seas
2009 "Valor"
2009 "Fascination"
2011 " Pride"
2014 "Adventure of the Seas"
Old January 17th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I read about it yesterday in the newspaper. Who knows what really happened. The fact that the cabin was locked from the inside means they likely went overboard (where else could they go?). I know how high the balcony is and a 90 year old is fairly old and I doubt his 79-year-young wife is capable of picking him up and tossing him over the balcony because that is what would have to happen. If they fell over then they must have jumped, but they didn't say where the chairs on the balcony were located (as in right against the balcony).

I hope they can be located, but it doesn't look good....

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old January 17th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Familiar Face

I honestly believe they commited suicide. One was probably sick. How sad
Old January 17th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

I believe that must be the Paradise they were on.....I just got back from the Imagination, and I have not heard this.
Imagination 2004
Diamond Princess 2006
Emerald Princess 2008
Imagination 2009!
Old January 17th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Passenger

Miami-based Carnival said the couple's cabin door was double-locked from the inside with a "Do Not Disturb" sign on the handle. Their belongings remained inside, and the door leading from the cabin to the private balcony was unlocked.

I'm also thinking they took their own lives one could not live without the other and one was terminally ill possible.
Old January 17th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

I just dont see someone that has lived for THAT long to toss it all away and take a head dive off a cruise ship balcony. I mean why would they do it? It might be possible that they were peering over the balcony at something, one slipped and fell and the other trying to catch the first went over too. I just hope they died a swift death. I would hate to know that they suffered any.

Old January 17th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlauntz
Once again the associated press has used the term" fell "of of the ship. There needs to be a concerted campain initiated by the cruise industry to dispell this mith. Those of us who cruise know how difficult it would be to fall overboard if you use common sense. Notice we don't see many children ( the most likely age group to fall overboad ) going missing. Many people I know use the falling overboard excuse for not cruising. These same people jump into their car and drive hundreds of miles totally oblivious to the fact that it is much more likely that they will be in an accident in an automobile than to fall of a cruise ship. I'll get off of my soap box now.
Nothing wrong with that soapbox ! Those who have never been on a ship don't understand how difficult it would be simply to fall over. Except from the outside promenade, the public areas aren't directly over water so if one accidentally fell they would land on another deck.

/ticker.png">
Old January 19th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

We just got off the Paradise this morning. The rumor on the ship was that it was probably a suicide.
When we boarded on Friday, we were onboard by noon and they stopped letting passengers board for four or five hours. That was a lot of standing for them.
FBI, police, etc. were everywhere. Very sad.
Old January 20th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by misguidedangel
I read about it yesterday in the newspaper. Who knows what really happened. The fact that the cabin was locked from the inside means they likely went overboard (where else could they go?). I know how high the balcony is and a 90 year old is fairly old and I doubt his 79-year-young wife is capable of picking him up and tossing him over the balcony because that is what would have to happen. If they fell over then they must have jumped, but they didn't say where the chairs on the balcony were located (as in right against the balcony).

I hope they can be located, but it doesn't look good....
i know this isnt funny, but i can totally see my 79 yr old mom throwing my 93 yr old dad over board....well...not really but she sure could!

I bet it was a suicide...who knows maybe they both were terminally ill or the 79 yr old was ill and her husband had alzhiemers and she didnt want him to be alone when she died...could be a lot of different reasons but sound suicidal to me Poor people probably spend most of the whole lives together.
Old January 20th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbowman
I just dont see someone that has lived for THAT long to toss it all away and take a head dive off a cruise ship balcony. I mean why would they do it?
Before my Dad (72 yrs old) became ill... he went out dancing every weekend, he was on a dart and bocce ball team and every year he'd take off to Arkansas to visit family.... he had girl friends he chatted with online and even met 1 or 2 in other states....

In March of 2001 he started going downhill in and out of the hospital by Nov. weekend after Thanksgiving that same year he passed. My dad loved life to it's fullest, but the last couple of months he we was in so much pain and he was getting so depressed, he couldn't do anything for himself....

Sometimes it's not about just being Terminally Ill, but the pain and suffering that comes with it... I think maybe after a bit it might just be too much for certain people to handle.

I miss my dad, but he knew when it was time and he got to talk to all 5 of his kids on thanksgiving and (3 of us were with him) He was saved and was ready when the time came.
Carnival-Splendor Sept 6, 2009

Old January 20th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrangi
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbowman
I just dont see someone that has lived for THAT long to toss it all away and take a head dive off a cruise ship balcony. I mean why would they do it?
Before my Dad (72 yrs old) became ill... he went out dancing every weekend, he was on a dart and bocce ball team and every year he'd take off to Arkansas to visit family.... he had girl friends he chatted with online and even met 1 or 2 in other states....

In March of 2001 he started going downhill in and out of the hospital by Nov. weekend after Thanksgiving that same year he passed. My dad loved life to it's fullest, but the last couple of months he we was in so much pain and he was getting so depressed, he couldn't do anything for himself....
I hope they start letting terminally ill people go to sleep and die in peace. Hell, we do it with animals. Quality of life is very important to me.
Sometimes it's not about just being Terminally Ill, but the pain and suffering that comes with it... I think maybe after a bit it might just be too much for certain people to handle.

I miss my dad, but he knew when it was time and he got to talk to all 5 of his kids on thanksgiving and (3 of us were with him) He was saved and was ready when the time came.