Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 18th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Passenger

Default A little disappointed with Dining Room Service on Carnival

I am a not a new cruiser. I have taken over 75 since 1977, I just completed number 25 with Carnival. I travel alone they give me the best deal since the older mom and pop companies have since went under. I was somewhat disappointed that many of the lines, yes thou have many food choices have had the mid night buffets or Ice galas have all dissappear. I assume due to maintaining food waste and cruise costs. Also I was glad the dinning room manger made table visits, so he did earn his tip, which I give regardless. The food was great, the assistant waiter was the worst, almost none functional. I gave the postitive approach that he was either new, under trained or had to many guests to serve. In either case I saw 17 quests be serviced by one waiter, a wonderful task. From the bread, beverage, order taking, bussing to the desser and coffee served. I felt as if he was breaking his neck and a record to serve me. I had to ask daily for more bread and my ice tea my beverage of choice, he tried his best. On the last evening I politely told the dining room matirde, I felt not completly satifisfied. His coment was that is there service, some waiters have almost 20 or 22 people to wait on. I did not feel that was a proper excuse. He could have lied and made me feel better. In either case the waiter was great and so was the food. The teamwork sucked from the managers point of view and dont expect better. I dont think this is the Carnivals approach. I still have two cruises due in April, Destiny, and Sept on Imagination. Hope things are better. shipahoy@bellsouth.net
Sponsored Links
Old January 18th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Every once in a while, things happen, for a variety of reasons, we may know nothing about..Your approach with the Maitre'D was on point, sadly, his response was not.

On once cruise, I actually got up to get my own tea, that gave the waiter a heads up. On one of our CM group cruises, the food, lack of service at our table, sent a few diners to the Lido to dine.

Giving credit to the staff, these issues are usually in the minority. Most of the staff, break their backs to make sure all goes well.

The odds are in your favor that, your upcoming cruises will go smoothly.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 18th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Way to go with 75 cruises under your belt-I can only wish that I will travel a fraction of that! Having done so many cruises for so long, it's a given that things are not the way they used to be. That's true of many things. Not only vacations, but just about everthing. No excuses though of the explanation given to you. Good luck on your upcoming plans and good luck to the poor waiter!!
Old January 18th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Admiral

I guess I have been lucky. I have only been on 4 cruises but I have always had awesome waiters or waitresses.

Past Cruises:
Carnival Ecstasy (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2003
Carnival Pride (7 Day Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Spirit (8 Day Exotic Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Freedom (7 Day Western Caribbean) 2008
Carnival Elation (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2009
Carnival Spirit (7 Day Southbound Alaska) 2009
Old January 19th, 2009, 02:04 AM
Admiral

It seems there is a correlation between pre-paid/automatic gratuities and indifferent service.

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Old January 19th, 2009, 07:17 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoth
It seems there is a correlation between pre-paid/automatic gratuities and indifferent service.
I feel the same way.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old January 19th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Passenger

Default Prepaid and Automatic, and the days of the envelops tipping

They are simular in concept just done differently. All are the tipping methods. One method is paying the tips before your sailing either via the booking origination or during the payment of such before the sailing date. The second is the most common way is to pay as you open your sail and sign card, either with cash or via a credit card. The third old fashion way, which dont ask me why I still prefer, even thoug difficult, is paying as desired the correct amount and many times above in cash with envelopes the last night if the cruise and handing the money to each person and shaking there hand. Well so much for cruise grace being passed doen from the generation. I assume, it is to assume everyone gets tipped properly. Not all Europians, some dont tip. Some guests feel service is better when tip is not automaticlly figured and charged to account, matter of opinion. There are some guests that are just cheap and will not tip in any case, I have seen in either methods, people remove the automatic tipping and not tip at all, or remove there children from tips system to save money. In either case my opinion that is cheap and rude. If you cant afford the tips as cheap as they are recomended, you shouldnt be cruising, stay home and BBQ or visit you Super6 Hotel. It is like going to a ellegant resturant and not tipping. These people jobs are funded by our tips, they work damm hard for them, even with rude and pushy guests sometimes. I have seen OK staff and staff that need a noble piece award, PLEASE TIP THESE PEOPLE. shipahoy@bellsouth.net
Old January 19th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Admiral

Oddly enough, on our last Carnival cruise, the dining room service wasn't quite up to par, however it was just the opposite of your situation. The bus boy was busting his @ss, and the waiter was just standing around for the most part! It seems to me, that lately, there is a "cutting back" of staff, and that the wait staff has more tables than they used to serve, but in retrospect, it seems to have gotten a bit worse since the automatic tipping has come into play. As veterans of over 100 cruises, and 22 on Carnival, we have noticed the difference as well. It's not bad,,,,just not as good as it once was.

Ken
"SKY"
Old January 19th, 2009, 10:03 AM
First Mate

With over 40 cruises thru the years beginning in Miami in the late 50,s I have seen many changes in the remuneration of those who serve you in both the the dining room and cabin service. I believe the change to automatic tipping was brought about because of the group who would "stiff"the poor waiter at the end of the cruise for no reason at all except for being a cheapscate. There are still those who will go to the front desk and remove at the conclusion of the cruise and I am sure they do the same thing at any restaurant at home.I can remember in years past wher there were some who would not show up on the last night to avoid handing the waiter his much deserved tip.My experience thru the years has been excellent service on all main cruise lines and of some better than others however never bad enough to remove the tip.Our watress on the Splendor last month was so efficient that we have requested her for our 49 day cruise at the end of this month on the same ship.
Old January 19th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Beginner

Default tipping

I do not feel that carousal should add $140 worth of tipping to the bill. I help individuals detox, reasure attempted suicides and family, and help and provide comfort to individuals with alzheimers and demensia. I make minimum wage and have busted my butt to save enough to take this cruise. I do not receive tips and there are days that I go home bleeding. These individuals who work on the cruise ship are paid and all make more than I do by at least double not including tips from people who can afford it. This is just my opinion but I believe that I have the right to go on a cruise even if I can not tip $140 for my husband and I.
Old January 19th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Admiral

Default Re: tipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruicht
I do not feel that carousal should add $140 worth of tipping to the bill. I help individuals detox, reasure attempted suicides and family, and help and provide comfort to individuals with alzheimers and demensia. I make minimum wage and have busted my butt to save enough to take this cruise. I do not receive tips and there are days that I go home bleeding. These individuals who work on the cruise ship are paid and all make more than I do by at least double not including tips from people who can afford it. This is just my opinion but I believe that I have the right to go on a cruise even if I can not tip $140 for my husband and I.
No, if you can not afford the entire cruise...then you should not cruise. For these individuals, the tips ARE their wages.

We are a family of four who have cruised almost 30 times in the past 10 years....so yes....for a family of four at $10 a head per day...it does add up.

But this is not only for your waiters at dinner...this is also for your cabin steward, his assistant, and the work that is done on Lido by the wait staff for breakfast and lunch...as well as breakfast and lunch in the formal dining room.

Sorry you do not have a better paying job...but you should not stiff these individuals because it.

Take vacations you can afford and enjoy them.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old January 19th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Admiral

Thankfully we have not have "bad" service....

I have seen an increase in the number of people the wait staff must handle over the years and I think that is more of the reason for a reduction of service....than the automatic tipping.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old January 19th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Admiral

I can understand the tipping expense and I have experienced both types of services desribed. But, you have the choice of eating in the dining room or at the buffet.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old January 19th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to cruisingrandma2007

Believe me the staff earns every penny they receive. The tips are the main part of there wage. I am a waitress at a nice supper club in our small town central Wisconsin. I have seen so many people come in and order nice meals and I give them good service. I am not bragging I am just stating a fact. i have done this job for many years and I think I am a good waitress. I have many patrons who come inot the restaurant and ask for me to wait on them. But then the ones who Dont understand the concept of tipping........ Well they need to get with the program. So I do understand the work they do on a cruise ship or a restaurant. I am what my husband calls a over tipper. But I want the wait staff to know I appreciated the nice experience I have been givin by them. You would be surprised by how many people actually dont leave a tip at all. They need to stay home or go to McDonalds for there meals. With the economy I understand that the tips will go down some. but to not tip at all is not acceptable. Tip the staff on the cruises. They are making our vacations the experience of a life time for us. Carnival is our cruise line of choice. #8 coming up soon. We have had the most wonderful servers and we have had very nice servers. They dont all have the best personalities but I have never gone hungry or waited too long for my meals. Have patience and keep the tips coming.... Happy cruising......
Old January 19th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster
As veterans of over 100 cruises, and 22 on Carnival, we have noticed the difference as well. It's not bad,,,,just not as good as it once was.

Ken
"SKY"
That is pretty impressive. That is 5 a year for 20 years! Or 2 a year for 50 years and I know you are not that old! I am still working on getting to 20! :evil:

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old January 19th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Passenger

Default I love all the replies pro and con for tipping

But lets be fare, If you cant afford the tips chose another choice of vacation plan., maybe camping on the state park? The ticket contract and brochures all mention tipping guide lines. These men and women, except the officers and entertainers average around $50, $ 60 $ 75 a month. Yes they have room and board, they do not have a paid vacation, sick leave, maternity, workmans comp, or a retirement or stock options, or time and a half for overtime. They mostly work six to nine months a year, including all the major holidays. Plus alot of hours and hard work. Many ungreatful bossy quests, alot of tip stiffers who walk out, thinkinf that these people are dumb and will never meet again. They all have families at home, bills, the need to have a life of either betterment in there country or chance to save and relocate to America. When you think of how many Americans either panhandle on streets, get welfare checks, section 8, because of lack of education and motivation, I take my hats off to these crew staff for there efforts. Alan shipahoy@bellsouth.net
Old January 19th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Prepaid and Automatic, and the days of the envelops tipp

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabreeze
...... There are some guests that are just cheap and will not tip in any case, I have seen in either methods, people remove the automatic tipping and not tip at all, or remove there children from tips system to save money. In either case my opinion that is cheap and rude. If you cant afford the tips as cheap as they are recomended, you shouldnt be cruising, stay home and BBQ or visit you Super6 Hotel. It is like going to a ellegant resturant and not tipping. These people jobs are funded by our tips, they work damm hard for them, even with rude and pushy guests sometimes. I have seen OK staff and staff that need a noble piece award, PLEASE TIP THESE PEOPLE. shipahoy@bellsouth.net
AMEN to that ! If an individual can fork out the big bucks for that veranda suite plus expensive shore excursions, they can afford to tip their waiter $20.

/ticker.png">
Old January 19th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

My husband for many years worked as a waiter in expensive restaurants. I can tell you that he made way less than minimum wage as his salary. He could make good money on his tips but worked very hard for it. I believe that a good waiter or waitress deserves a good tip if they work hard for it. I refuse to pay more than required for lousy work. Generally speaking we over tip because we understand the work that goes into a meal. I also feel that if you can afford to go on a cruise then you should have no problem paying for something that was earned. If the service is that horrible, report them early on in your trip and hopefully it will be taken care of.
Old January 20th, 2009, 05:07 AM
Yeoman

As a European, I really can't understand why some parts of the world (for example the US) have the tipping system.

Why not give for example waitresses a salary they can live on without the tip? If they do a good job, they may get a tip anyway, if they don't, why shall the guest give them a tip? Can anyone explain that to me?

Is the tipping system only a way for the restaurants to be able to have lower prices on the menu?

Don't missunderstand me, I always tip when I'm in America because I know that for example the waitress need the tip but I still can't understand why you have that system.

For me a tip shall be something you give when the service has been extra good, not something you have to give because someone needs it to survive.
Old January 20th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave the Wave
Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster
As veterans of over 100 cruises, and 22 on Carnival, we have noticed the difference as well. It's not bad,,,,just not as good as it once was.

Ken
"SKY"
That is pretty impressive. That is 5 a year for 20 years! Or 2 a year for 50 years and I know you are not that old! I am still working on getting to 20! :evil:
Dave, I've been cruising since the '70's, so that's coming up on 40 years of cruising. We didn't do as many in the beginning, but last year we did 6, and it's been quite a few a year for several years now. They do add up! As far as my youthful appearance goes, it's just all that "clean living" and sea air that keeps me young.

See 'ya later,

Ken
"SKY"
Old January 20th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Captain

Default Re: A little disappointed with Dining Room Service on Carniv

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabreeze
His coment was that is there service, some waiters have almost 20 or 22 people to wait on.
I kid you not, when i say, that our waitress had atleast 30 people to wait on. I'm sure it would have been 27 had we not asked to be moved from our larger table to a private table for 3, but still, wayyyy too many. I dont think 20 people is to many to serve at night esp with a helper... but 30, was to many!
Old January 21st, 2009, 02:10 AM
Admiral

Once I worked as a formal dining room attendant, primarily in the capacity of bus-boy. I can empathize with wait-staff on cruise ships and in local restaurants. You serve food you get treated like trash sometimes.
A word of advice though....be very polite to those who handle your food...I did witness covert aggression directed towards rude customers. Their hands touch your food BEFORE it goes in your mouth. hint hint

/ticker.png">
Old January 21st, 2009, 04:14 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Pocono Pug

100 cruises is quite impressive, to do 6 in 1 year is my dream. Not likely to happen anytime soon because I can not get the time or the money to afford that. Ive been on 6 with #7 right around the corner. As far as wait staff in the dining room goes, we were on Inspiration in August and our waiter and his assistant could not have done a better job. We also gave them an extra $50 each on our last night for a job well done.

Monarch of the Seas 3-92
Celebrity Century 7-96
Dawn Princess 2-97
Enchantment of the Seas 11-98
Rhapsody of the Seas 8-99
CCL Inspiration 8-08, 8-11
CCL Valor 1-09
CCL Glory 11-09