Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 29th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Admiral

Hey, I'm already getting some hits !! I'm seriously thinking about setting up to take Visa and M.Card too !! This could be big--really big !!
Old January 30th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Passenger

Ron; can I sign on too? Willing to take $10.00 per person, can give a tax deduction. My organization could be called “Let’s Keep The Old Folks Adrift".
Old January 30th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Passenger

I've been on 7 cruises and every waiter I've ever had told me they were going home next week to finaly see their family after 6 months. So, as others have said, they do tll stories to get you to tip extra. Don't get me wrong, I do tip extra, not because of their stories, but because they gave me excellent service and if you think about it, 2 meals with dessert and appetisers would be a minimum of $60.00 or more. Normal 15 -20 percent tip would be 10 - 12.00. You end up paying 3.50 per per person for head waiter and 2.00 for assistant, so, your tip does cover the normal charge, however, we end up getting 2 appetisers and usually 2 meals each, so, we tip much more! By the way, I know on Carnival, the waiters actually have to go to waiter college which Carnival has before they can become waiters. In addition, turnover is very low and assistant waiters have to wait years sometimes to become a head waiter.
Old January 30th, 2009, 09:56 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galveston
I was a waiter for a time in college, and my base pay was exactly $2.13/hour. I averaged $15-20 in tips an hour so a 5 hours shift usually paid about $100.

The $2.13 when added to my tips had to come out to equal the hourly minimum wage every 2 weeks. If it didn't, the restaurant had to make up the rest. The $2.13/hour was in place to allow a successful restaurant to hire as many waiters as they wanted and stay low on operating costs because waiters didn't need the house's wage. They earned 10X as much through tips and never had to claim them all.
You are right (I got over my laziness and looked it up). Federal Law states the employer must paid at least $2.13 per hour if you get over $30 per month in tips. Here is a link and a direct quote. I can admit when I'm wrong.
http://www.dol.gov/compliance/guide/minwage.htm
Code:
Employers may pay employees on a piece‑rate basis, as long as they receive at least the equivalent of the required minimum hourly wage rate. Employers of tipped employees (i.e., those who customarily and regularly receive more than $30 a month in tips) may consider such tips as part of their wages, but employers must pay a direct wage of at least $2.13 per hour if they claim a tip credit. They must also meet certain other conditions.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old January 31st, 2009, 10:34 AM
Passenger

Speaking of tall stories; we had this wonderful waiter, who could have been a member of the Village People, maybe even the lead singer, we love the Village People and we loved our waiter.
Well, he produced photos of his baby which he showed to each of his tables telling how he had not seen the baby in 7 months; this was done on the sixth night in the dining room. Somehow you just knew it was a “rent-a-baby”.

I am not picking on the crew members, think they are great! Some of their stories are a form of Show Biz and why not, if it works. I dislike the idea that some of the passengers get so upset about “these poor people”. You should see what they say about us on their web-site, yikes, talk about biting the hand that feeds them.
Old January 31st, 2009, 02:02 PM
Admiral

Could you please give me the link to their website? I would love to read their comments. Bob
Old January 31st, 2009, 02:55 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Having worked on cruise ships i can tell you it is a great job.

Everytime I hear these "sob" stories about how little the waiters are paid on ships and that they always have wives & kids back home....

The truth is the cruise lines by far hire a very high percentage of young & single people. If you are looking for someone who will commit to a 6-10 month contract you are not going to hire a mother with three kids from anywhere.

Ship crews are almost always young, single people seeing the world, getting paid well and loving it.

I have worked on 5 different ships, and on all of them I was completely covered for medical, dental, room, meals and utilities. I kept every penny I earned. Now, I was not in a tipped position, but I do understand the math of that.

One thing that is true is that compulsory tipping is much better. There is far too much stiffing when it is voluntary. Everyone should tip at least the recommended amount, and if you want to give extra I personally recommend that you hand it over in cash in private, or else it will probably be pooled.

Personally, I just don't like to hear about these crewpeople telling passengers sob stories. Some of them are true, no doubt, but some are not. Either way it is not the passenger's responsibility to make their lives better. They are not indentured servants.
Old July 16th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Beginner

Default 32 dollars a day in tips alone (on average!)

I'm sorry. Yes, that is not a lot of money, but honestly, that's about average for what people living on minimum wage make. I make about 40-60 bucks a day (working at min wage), BEFORE taxes. So, yes, it's piss poor wages, but it's not like Carnival is any worse than most of the rest of the country.
Old July 17th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to cruisingrandma2007

I only have a few things to add to this post. I am a waitress who just turned 60 yrs old. I am so looking forward to retirement. It s avery hard job of lots of walking and lifting. Yes for the past at least 15 yrs my hourly wage in '
Wisconsin is $2.33 peer hour. I work for my tips. At my age I have made many friends who are my regular customers. They are great friends to me. They ask for me to wait on them all the time. So I do understand how it is to work for the tips. They work very hard and its not easy to carry all those trays of food. They are very heavy and the balance is the trick. I also carry the trays up in the air. It can be hard on the arms. But my point is always tip the help on a cruise ship or in any aspect that a person works for the tips. They work hard for there money.It doesnt matter to me that they are making more money then they can at there home country. The point is they have to do this and be away from there families to make a descent living. So yes even in america we only make $2.33 per hour. So next time you go to a restaurant remember how much the wait staff is making and tip the way you should. I believe that the cruise ship workers are doing a fine job. My cabins are always well kept and the wait staff is so courtious and they take good care of us all. Also have a good attitude with you workers. We are not below you becasue we are a wait staff. This is our job. just like u all have a job too. I hate being treated like I am not worthy of waiting on you.(some people have no common sense)Sorry its so long but I do appreciate the tips I get and I try my best to give good service. Becasue thats my come back customers. We are all trying to make a good living. Always tip!!!!
Old July 17th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Admiral

To Paul and others who think cruise workers are well paid.
There is a huge difference between salaried and hourly employees here in the US. It is no different on a cruise.
Since you worked on a ship, Paul, I was surprised at your post. You may not get a mother with kids to take that kind of job, but the dad may well be willing to do it.
I used to live in Miami and knew a lot of folk who worked on the ships. The ones who get tipped would not be working that far from home if it wasn't a way for them to raise the standard of living for themselves and their families. Most are from poor countries where it is hard to find a decent job at all.
Nontipped staff are a whole different situation. Some get paid extremely well.
I'm not suggesting that all of the sob stories and photo's are anything more than an aptitude for acting, but I also think that there is a nugget of truth there as well.
Marty
Old July 18th, 2009, 12:32 AM
Admiral

I expect to be flamed for what I'm writing here but that's ok. I think to go on a ship, go to a hotel or go ask my neighbor what he / she makes money wise is a little on the tacky side.
It's none of my business what the head waiter, cabin steward, captain or anyone on the ship makes. Nor is it my business how much the cab driver, bus driver or porters, make. Nor is it my business how much the security guards at the port entrance make.
If we want get started again on how much or how little people make, lets start with each other here on this site. Who wants to be first to sent a copy of your tax returns ??
Old July 18th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Familiar Face

As been said, what they make working on the ships is considered a lot of money compared to what we think is a good wage. These people work extremely hard and deserve every penny. I can't imagine anyone taking away tip money from them. I also think it's a bit odd and rude to talk to them about how much money they make. I don't care to discuss my earnings with anyone lol.
Old October 7th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Familiar Face

Default tips

did a fast math prob in my brain.

and I'm no math whiz

the Dream, over 3000 guest.

If each person eats in the dining room and pay the boat tip of $3.50.

On a 7 day cruise that one person will be tipped around $500 for the seven days. Plus his $75.00 pay.

Thats what I make in the good old USA for a week.
Plus I have to pay uncle Sam.
Old October 8th, 2009, 12:29 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd
Don't forget waiters in the US "make" about 2 bucks an hour + tips.

Also when thinking about the number of people tipping crew waitstaff you need to double the number of folks you see them serve - there are two seatings.

I just consider the tip a part of the cost of my cruise and will tip extra for serice I believe is over and above.
I'm confused federal min. wage is $6.55; how can waiters make $2 per hour?
He is correct, waiters make between 2 and 3 dollars an hour on average. Think about that next time you go to write out your tip. I actually believe that everyone should have to work as a waiter/waitress at some point in their lives. Gives you a whole nother perspective.

Carnival Conquest April 2008
Carnival Conquest April 2009

Old October 8th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Cruise Maniac

To lhp I wonder if the group were Jevhovah's Witnesses - according to their "religious" beliefs they do not tip.

We asked a bartender we became friendly with on our trip on the Miracle recently and she told us the cocktail waiters and waitresses make $75 a month. They earn all 15% of their gratuity so basically they've got to sell, sell, sell to make money. To me, that can make these folks very annoying at times because of their need to hustle for money. The cruiselines may remark this is how they can cut the bottom line, but one must remember they are making money off the drinks sold as well. It's really too bad that people can take off their gratuities. I've seen it done when people are having issues with Carnival, not the employees yet we all know who is losing out. Our bartender showed us the picture of the house she and her husband are building in the Philipines. Cost? $20,000 US money. They also have to pay for their childrens' education. Like other posters said, they are making much more than they can at home and will now be in their first home but look at the sacrifice. Both mom and dad are working on the ship and the kids are being raised by grandparents. That's a big sacrifice to give your kids a better life.

Interesting that supper club employees draw a large salary. Didn't know that.
Old October 8th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonTodd
Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd
Don't forget waiters in the US "make" about 2 bucks an hour + tips.

Also when thinking about the number of people tipping crew waitstaff you need to double the number of folks you see them serve - there are two seatings.

I just consider the tip a part of the cost of my cruise and will tip extra for serice I believe is over and above.
I'm confused federal min. wage is $6.55; how can waiters make $2 per hour?
He is correct, waiters make between 2 and 3 dollars an hour on average. Think about that next time you go to write out your tip. I actually believe that everyone should have to work as a waiter/waitress at some point in their lives. Gives you a whole nother perspective.
Hi Houston Todd you are looking at an old post. I did discover he was right. I posted this reply on 1/30/09:

Galveston wrote:
I was a waiter for a time in college, and my base pay was exactly $2.13/hour. I averaged $15-20 in tips an hour so a 5 hours shift usually paid about $100.

The $2.13 when added to my tips had to come out to equal the hourly minimum wage every 2 weeks. If it didn't, the restaurant had to make up the rest. The $2.13/hour was in place to allow a successful restaurant to hire as many waiters as they wanted and stay low on operating costs because waiters didn't need the house's wage. They earned 10X as much through tips and never had to claim them all.

Katlady Wrote:
You are right (I got over my laziness and looked it up). Federal Law states the employer must paid at least $2.13 per hour if you get over $30 per month in tips. Here is a link and a direct quote. I can admit when I'm wrong.
http://www.dol.gov/compliance/guide/minwage.htm
Code:
Employers may pay employees on a piece‑rate basis, as long as they receive at least the equivalent of the required minimum hourly wage rate. Employers of tipped employees (i.e., those who customarily and regularly receive more than $30 a month in tips) may consider such tips as part of their wages, but employers must pay a direct wage of at least $2.13 per hour if they claim a tip credit. They must also meet certain other conditions.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old October 8th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: spoke to my wait person about thier salary...omg..

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurseypoo5
A head waiter makes a whopping 75.00 per month salary. yup you heard right. I almost fainted. They work 7 days a week, every other day they have to do breakfast, lunch and dinner. the other days are thier days "off" where they just do dinner, or occassionaly dinner and breakfast. 75.00 a MONTH. The 10.00 a day you pay for tips, they get (i might be off a bit) 3.00 or 4.00 a day to be split with thier assistant. So if they have 20 guests at each sitting, that is at most 32.00 a day each. She said on an average day they can work 12-14 hour days, as they set up and break down, clean between each set of meals. They get about an hour off between breakfast and lunch, lunch and dinner. So thier day starts at 5:30 to 6am and ends around 11 pm. Holy moly, i tipped the poor girl 40.00. She said she always splits her tips evenly with ther assistant to which he agree'd she did. We only ate there 3 times that week, but i just couldnt believe how little they get paid! She also said they only provide ship health care, if they are off ship or need surgery they are on thier own. And they have to buy thier own uniforms, at ships cost...her shirt was 20.00 etc.

I really almost dont see how they can save enough money to fly home (she lives in peru) every 6 months. I know expenses are low, but she said she had to have dental work last month in Mexico and it took 2 weeks worth of tips to pay for the root canal..

She did tell me the supper club folks get 1200.00 per month salary but no tips unless the people eating tip them, which i thought they got something besides what we give. I wish we had known that since we only tipped them 20 dollars each night we were in there. They only work from 4pm till close so they get more money salary wise.

just some randam knowlege to share
An awful lot of misconceptions on this thread.
1. The waiter lied a little bit. Besides his salary, room and board, and MEDICAL coverage [while on board], he gets $3.50 per day per pax at his station. He DOES NOT share that with anyone on Carnival. Other lines have different ways of doing tips, some very close to the same, some very different. DEPENDING on the number of contracts he has done he also gets airfare. It is not unusual for a really good cruise waiter to make $3000.00 monthly. AND HE PAYS NO TAXES.

The room stewards DO share their $3.50pppd with their assistants.

Land waiters in the US most often do get an hourly wage WELL below minimum. $2.xx to $3.xx per hour. Depending on the state, that is allowed. They also often work split shifts and they have to share tips. Some, DO NOT GET ANY WAGE. Some have to PAY for their job. I know one waiter at a very upscale restaurant that paid $250. a week to have his job. His taxable income is 6 figures, he is happy to pay the $250.

The wife and I dine out very often [and not at Micky D's] and are used to good service so we rarely overtip the waitstaff. If they are truly outstanding, we do. Amazingly, the very best service I ever had at any restaurant anywhere was on a Carnival ship. Both the waiter and his asst. were ultra efficient, knowledgeable, polite, both quick and fast. Somehow they kept the table absolutely cracked up while being totally unobtrusive. I'd have said that is not possible, but they did it. They received a noticeable overtip.
Old October 8th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Admiral

Yeah, wait staff here really depend on tips, and often don't get them.
Old October 9th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Passenger

I have a friend who works for Carnival Cruise lines and they pay her airfare to the ship that she is being assigned to (plus her hotel room at the Hyatt the night before the ship leaves), they pay her airfare home. Now they get free room and board (includes meals etc), they get all of their laundry done free, they get one day a week off. Her hours of work are from 8 AM to 12pm then from 6pm to 9PM, then from 1pm to 4PM she is making her room animals for her passengers. She gets an hour off for lunch and 2 hours off for dinner. Her weekly pay check BEFORE tips is $275.00 A WEEK then add the tips to that she makes good money. When I asked her about this business that waiters only earn $75.00 a month, she said that they have in one way become professional beggar's. She said think about it, if the wages were that bad, then why are most of keep coming back for years. She said by the time they become a head waiter they have at least 5 years in with Carnival unless they are the type that really succeeds and shows the true desire to improve.

Janice has no been working for Carnival for over 12 years and loves it, so don't believe everything you hear on board the ships. Like she said they have learned real fast how to cry poor.

As for my tipping, I give my room steward an extra tip, but I also tip is assistant the same amount so he does not have to share with his assistant, to me they both earned it equally, same goes for the waiters in the restaurant, I tip the head waiter and give his assistant the same amount so they do not have to share.
Old October 11th, 2009, 12:59 AM
Captain

I always thought that the suggested $10.00 per day per person tip was to include $3.50 to the cabin steward
$3.50 waiter
$3.00 bus person/assistant

Why would the waiter have to share their tips with the assistant?

AKcruiser
Old October 11th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Admiral

I talked to one waiter his base wage was 200 USD a month . Uniforms where
supplied and medical was free on-board or ashore if required.
The travel to and from their home was paid by the cruise line/contractor.
He told us that of the 50 people that applied with him. Only 2 got jobs ,
they are very picky with who they hire. The cruise line uses a local company
to hire and train the staff (contractor owned by cruise line).

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old October 11th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeythyme
I was a hairstylist and some of the other stylist would leave a $5 bill on there station like it was the last person's tip. Their hope was the next person would see it and match the tip. I never did anything like that, I'm so charming it didn't need to.

I did that when I performed in cocktail lounges; put a few $$ of my own money in the tip jar. I called it "priming the pump". [/quote]

Now THAT is funny....TRUE ... but funny!!!!!!!!

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old October 11th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

One point I forgot to make in my previous post. The salary, benefits, tips and conditions of the cruise workers are NO more our business than our incomes are their business!
Old October 11th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Captain

I thought that out of the suggested $10.00 per person per day tip that:

$3.50 went to the waiter
$3.50 went to the cabin steward
$3.00 went to the bus/assistant wait staff

Why would the waiter have to share his portion?

AKcruiser
Old October 11th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Admiral

AK,
Your break down of how tips are allocated is correct. Maybe the "sharing" bit came from a higher end cruise line, was from back in the days of cash tipping only on ships, or was a bit of BS to try and get more money out of pax. Either way, we need to keep in mind that US wage laws do not apply to cruise ships. Actually, none of our laws apply. But, I have seen older crew members. One was our cabin steward on an NCL cruise in the Dawn. He was so grumpy and rude that, for the first time, I went to the purser's office and moved his entire tip to his asst. More than once, I had seen her doing all of the actual work in the cabins.
I never believe any of the "presentation" stories that waiters used to come up with to increase tips. But, we usually ask about their families, their lives at home, etc. just out of curiosity and that is when sometimes you get true stories.
Marty
Old October 11th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Admiral

Dan40, I agree with you whole heatedly re/ what the income of the ship's staff may or may not be. If you read this thread, you'll see I posted my thoughts on this.
But some persist-- I think that cruising is the only thing or vacation mode I've ever seen where people try to delve into other people's incomes.
Why, I've never figured out.
Old October 11th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Admiral

Ron,
I think the reason is that they used to try and hussle more tips with sob stories back when tipping was voluntary and cash only. They opened their own can of worms by trying to make it our business. I would never ask someone private financial questions, even on a cruise, but the unofficial cruise etiquette rules were sprung wide open by the staff themselves.
JMHO,
Marty
Old October 11th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Admiral

Marty. you probably hit the nail on the head. I know that a lot of the service staff would and some still do, come up with some pretty sad sounding stories.

I may have been scammed yesterday--I'm not sure but I still feel good about what I did--it was cool and rainy here and I went to Krogers ( they seem to get most of my meager funds --but the wife and cat like to eat )
and at the lower edge of the parking lot sat a guy with a sign that
said " homeless vet--hungry-please help ".
I kept thinking about him while I was in the store, as I was in the Army once upon a time, and when I came out he was still there. I drove by McDonalds a couple miles away and got a Qtr. pounder, fries and coke and took back to him. He said he was starving . I don't know if he was on the level or not but as it was drizzly and cool, I doubt he would have sat there that long if he hadn't been hungry.
I also told hm to look in the bag before he threw it away--I had put a $5. bill in with the food.
I remember when I came home and got to my small hometown late at night on a Greyhound bus, it was cold and rainy and I had no one to meet me-- so it bothered me to see this guy in the rain saying he was hungry--maybe I was scammed--I don't know but I felt better helping him than ignoring him !!
But I probably should have asked him how much he had taken in yesterday !!
Old October 11th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Admiral

Hi Ron I don't think you were scammed. I think you did a nice thing for somebody and I'm sure they were touched by your kindness.

On another note I don't get a lot of sob stories from the cabin steward or the waitstaff. I have just gotten excellent service. On other issues are unimportant to me while tipping. I tip on the service provided. I have always been impressed with the service I have recieved on the cruise ships.

AK Cruiser here is the tip information from Carnival's website:
http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Gratuities_Tips.aspx
For your convenience, we automatically charge the gratuities for dining and stateroom staff to your onboard Sail & Sign account. The total amount is $10.00 per guest, per day (our recommended guideline) as follows:

$ 3.50 Per Day Stateroom Services

$ 5.50 Per Day Dining Room Services

$ 1.00 Per Day Alternative Services: distributed to other kitchen and hotel service staff

For Cruises-To-Nowhere, gratuities of $10 per guest, per day must be prepaid

I'm not sure how the dining room tip is split.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old October 11th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Admiral

When it comes to money, I've never been subjected to sob stories from the crew. However, as many cruisers know "the speech" about giving high marks on the comment cards is fairly common. It is more often something we hear on Royal Caribbean, but we get it on Carnival too. Frankly this one act can diminish what otherwise was a week of great service, and thus kill any extra tipping above the suggested amount.

I still recall one waiter (RCI) telling the table "anything less than excellent on the card is unacceptable to my supervisor". It really annoyed me.