Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 23rd, 2009, 11:02 PM
Captain

Default Self assist debarkation

I just got off the Spirit today and noticed they do not offer self assist anymore. Just wondering if anybody knows why? I did notice some people do it anyway and I laughed to myself at the folks lugging heavy bags up and down stairwells while grunting. In my opinion you save very little time shleppin your own stuff. Did Carnival do away with this? I had Platinum so my bags were right by the exit. I was in my taxi in about 4 minutes from the time they sail and signed me out... very nice
1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Freedom of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream
2012-Allure of the Seas and Navigator of the Seas
Sponsored Links
Old January 23rd, 2009, 11:43 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I can only hope that Carnival and ALL the cruise lines who took to offering the "self assist" route discontinue it.

Frankly, I think it rarely works efficiently, and creates undo chaos for the rest of the disembarkation process.

They should also pick up on what NCL does, and allow you to stay in your cabins until your called to disembark.

Rather than rushing to allow earlier embarkation for guest boarding, I'd prefer they end the cruise in a reasonable manner.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old January 24th, 2009, 02:15 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki
I can only hope that Carnival and ALL the cruise lines who took to offering the "self assist" route discontinue it.

Frankly, I think it rarely works efficiently, and creates undo chaos for the rest of the disembarkation process.

They should also pick up on what NCL does, and allow you to stay in your cabins until your called to disembark.

Rather than rushing to allow earlier embarkation for guest boarding, I'd prefer they end the cruise in a reasonable manner.
Can you "choose" to stay in your cabin until they start the process?

Old January 24th, 2009, 02:47 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ainsley

I dont think that you can. Anytime we have done the debarkation we had to meet in a certain area. The past 5 cruises we have done the self assist and are always in our vehicle leaving the terminal within 20 minutes from leaving our cabin. We always try to get home at a reasonable time considering we always drive straight home the day we get back.
Carnival Conquest-02.22.04
Carnival Conquest-02.06.05
Carnival Legend-3.25.06
Royal Caribbean Sovereign OTS-4.16.07
Carnival Fantasy 4.28.08
Carnival Fantasy 10.27.08
Norwegian Pearl 3.13.11
Carnival Elation 11.14.11

Future Cruises
Carnival Ecstasy 5.21.12
Old January 24th, 2009, 02:58 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ainsley
I dont think that you can. Anytime we have done the debarkation we had to meet in a certain area. The past 5 cruises we have done the self assist and are always in our vehicle leaving the terminal within 20 minutes from leaving our cabin. We always try to get home at a reasonable time considering we always drive straight home the day we get back.
We did self debarkation for our last cruise and we love it. We only have one suitcase for each of us and we also drive straight home the day we get back. It's a 14 hour drive for us so we usually get home about 1:00 am.
Conquest Feb 2009
Old January 24th, 2009, 03:02 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ainsley

Its not nearly as far for us. Usually we sail out of New Orleans and its only at 1 1/2 hour drive but my parents love to have the rest of the day to sleep and wash clothes. Gives us a great headstart on the coming week and readjusting to the home life haha. We each have one big piece of luggage and my sister and I have garmet bags that nicely fit into our suitcase coming home =) So all in all I like the self assist.
Carnival Conquest-02.22.04
Carnival Conquest-02.06.05
Carnival Legend-3.25.06
Royal Caribbean Sovereign OTS-4.16.07
Carnival Fantasy 4.28.08
Carnival Fantasy 10.27.08
Norwegian Pearl 3.13.11
Carnival Elation 11.14.11

Future Cruises
Carnival Ecstasy 5.21.12
Old January 24th, 2009, 03:24 AM
Admiral

Can someone explain the self assist debarkation? I am not familiar with exactly what this is? Thanks. Bob
Old January 24th, 2009, 03:33 AM
Passenger

Instead of setting you bags outside your cabin the night before the ship docks, you just take your bags off by yourself.
Conquest Feb 2009
Old January 24th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtiki2005
Can someone explain the self assist debarkation? I am not familiar with exactly what this is? Thanks. Bob
"Self Assist" means you do not put bags outside of your cabin the last night of the cruise, but you MUST be able to carry off ALL of your possessions.

Those ships using "self assist" normally begin between 7:30 and 8:30 AM.... and is allowed for perhaps 45 minutes. You SHOULD be prepared when called for self assist, because once they begin the regular disembark, those dragging all of their luggage does create problems.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old January 24th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Admiral

Okay, thanks for the replies. Bob
Old January 24th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Passenger

does the Liberty do the self assist debarkation? When we were on Fantasy last Feb we did not get off the ship until around 11 am. The folks that did self assist were long gone. I was planning on using the self assit this time. We too only take one bag each so it really would not be that bad.
Carnival Fantasy 2008
Granduer of the seas 2005

Old January 24th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Captain

Still looking for the official word on whether Carny has actually done away with the self assist. It was not offered in the debarkation talk nor was it in the Capers or debarkation sheet left in our room. They never mentioned it one way or another. My feeling is you can still do it but as time goes by and people dont hear or remember about it, it will go away like the midnight buffet has.

Another issue slowing down debarkation are the non US citizens who dont check with immigration in one of the lounges causing delays for everybody. I hate when they have to announce the same names over and over to check out and they are nowhere to be found. Screw em I say...lol
1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream
Old January 24th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Admiral

Briguy I can't speak for Carnival as a whole but I was on the Glory 01-10 to 01-17 sailing and there was self assist debarkation.

I too wish they would do away with it. It started out to be something for people who did and would travel light but unfortunately has evolved into people trying to carry everything but the kitchen sink both on and off the ship. Getting on, there was one guy who had a huge suitcase that was so large that he had been told outside by a Carnival worker he would have to check it. He managed somehow to sneak it past her and actually get in the security line and --you guessed it--got up to the scanner--was told it was too large and he would have to check it but he insisted it would fit--naturally he created a problem trying to wrestle it around this way and that--finally had to go back out with it after holding up the line for 10 minutes. I hope he got a double hernia for his trouble.
Platinum guests are supposed to have priority debarkation and were told to meet port side in the main lobby at 7:15 a.m, which most did . However we were accompanied by numerous others who were not platinum, various others laden with their worldly belongings, etc. and pretty soon it was a just a crowd trying to get off. We were close to the door so were able to get away from the mob and were in the car and driving away pretty quickly. The same exact thing happened the last time I was on the Glory last Jan.
I'm sure with some better planning Carnival could come up with a system to allow people to stay in their cabins a little longer and to monitor the colors called so the debarkation can go a little more smoothly.
There's a lot of folks that think they just have to be first off, regardless of how late their flight is or how close they live to the port.
Old January 26th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Passenger

We did the self assist onCarnival Conquest when we returned to Gaveston on the 4th. We were the first people off the ship. There was a delay in getting to the peer for about 6 hours due to fog. We stayed in our rooms until 30 minutes before time to leaving the ship.

We have done this several times now. If you can handle the baggage safely I would do it. It beats looking around for the luggage in a holding area.
Old January 26th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Beginner

Cruising on Legend March 1st-8th. Have early flight home. Leaving Tampa 11:30. Hope they will allow early departure off ship. If not do they allow passengers who have early flights to get off first.
Old January 26th, 2009, 05:47 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby8950
Cruising on Legend March 1st-8th. Have early flight home. Leaving Tampa 11:30. Hope they will allow early departure off ship. If not do they allow passengers who have early flights to get off first.
Yes, you can take your airline ticket to the pursers desk and sign up for early debarkation. I don't think it requires self assist, you just get an early number (or color for ships still using colors) tag for your bags and get to leave with the first group off.

2012 Carnival Destiny
2011 Carnival Splendor
2011 Carnival Pride
2010 Carnival Legend (w/ Hurricane Paula)
2010 Carnival Imagination
2009 Carnival Valor
2008 Carnival Freedom
2008 Carnival Facination
2007 Carnival Triumph
2006 Carnival Miracle
2005 Carnival Victory
2002 Carnival Imagination
Old January 26th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Captain

I second the complete removal of self-assist debarkation. This is bordering on a gripe but I am tired of people who cannot follow basic instructions who clog up elevators, hallways and worst of all stairwells as they wait everywhere they shouldn't with far too much luggage.

We have done self assist in the past, one bag each, easily manageable with one hand to spare to hold documents, etc. And it works not too bad. However, you have to wait with those who are completely loaded down, cannot reach for their sign and sail because they don't have any free hands and have to stop to rebalance luggage every three seconds.

We're spoiled now with Platinum, we have a leisurely breakfast and get off whenever we please after the rush.

And for whoever mentioned those calls for immigration, I could not agree more. As a Canadian we are subjected to the 5 AM wakeup call every single time we debark, unfortunately, we are still listening for other people who once again 'cannot follow simple instructions" to show up for immigration. I think these people should be fined for holding up the ship $500 for every 15 minutes should get their butts out of bed and into the line up with all the rest of us non-US citizens at the appropriate time so that everyone else who needs off the ship can do so quickly.
Old January 26th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

BrigGuy-I sure would like to know which ships make any non-US passengers go toa lounge to clear immigration. I've been on five cruises in two years and I have YET to wait in a lounge with other non-US citizens mmet. I've had to do it ONCE when we were going to St. Thomas from Half Moon Cay. All non-US passengers were checked before we were allowed to get off the ship. We met in the big show lounge and it was a quick and painless 15-20 minutes. The US passengers had a much longer wait than the non-US as there were more of them.......

DUnno waht ships you've all gone on, but I would have to wonder why they want you to meet in a lounge boefore debarkation instead of just clearing US customs in the terminal!!!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old January 26th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by misguidedangel
BrigGuy-I sure would like to know which ships make any non-US passengers go toa lounge to clear immigration. I've been on five cruises in two years and I have YET to wait in a lounge with other non-US citizens mmet. I've had to do it ONCE when we were going to St. Thomas from Half Moon Cay. All non-US passengers were checked before we were allowed to get off the ship. We met in the big show lounge and it was a quick and painless 15-20 minutes. The US passengers had a much longer wait than the non-US as there were more of them.......

DUnno waht ships you've all gone on, but I would have to wonder why they want you to meet in a lounge boefore debarkation instead of just clearing US customs in the terminal!!!
We have now done 12 Carnival cruises and on all but 2 of them we have had to go to customs, which took place in a lounge or disco, on debarkation day. I think I remember from one of your other posts that you prefer western cruises, perhaps the rules are different for western ports of call, since it was our exotic western and one of our first western cruises that we did not have to go to customs on the ship. I think that where immigration takes place depends on the ports of calls that you visited on your cruise and whether they are US jurisdictions or not.

The wait for the lounges is often painless, taking between 15 minutes to 45 minutes in our experience. I don't object to having to go to customs, well I guess I object to the early wakeup call. I only object to those people who get paged for well over an hour to go to customs while the entire ship waits for customs clearance. It's unfortunate.
Old January 26th, 2009, 09:00 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Littletime
Quote:
Originally Posted by misguidedangel

We have now done 12 Carnival cruises and on all but 2 of them we have had to go to customs, which took place in a lounge or disco, on debarkation day. I think I remember from one of your other posts that you prefer western cruises, perhaps the rules are different for western ports of call, since it was our exotic western and one of our first western cruises that we did not have to go to customs on the ship. I think that where immigration takes place depends on the ports of calls that you visited on your cruise and whether they are US jurisdictions or not.

The wait for the lounges is often painless, taking between 15 minutes to 45 minutes in our experience. I don't object to having to go to customs, well I guess I object to the early wakeup call. I only object to those people who get paged for well over an hour to go to customs while the entire ship waits for customs clearance. It's unfortunate.

I think you may be right it is for certain inteniraries. We were in Mexico and all non US folks had to do a brief immigration and they could go back to their waiting areas. It was not a congregation waiting area. It was a passport check only. It held us up for a half hour or so. Then before group 1 was called they snuck the Platinums off the ship. It was nice but I did see a few people try to butt in and they were soundly rejected by the staff. It was nice to see Carnival paying attention.
1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream
Old January 26th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Last week we did self assist on the Imagination...The only part I didn't like was that they told EVERYONE they had to be out of their cabins by 9:00, and of course, their are people on this earth who think rules are not for them, and did not leave their cabins, so, we were on deck 7, and that was the deck the gangplank is on, we were the first allowed to disembark, but because people were in their cabins still and shouldn't have been, instead on standing in a small line like everyone else who followed the rules, they just held up the whole process dragging their stuff out of their cabins and cut in the line wherever they could butt their way in. THAT made the process longer and more frustrating, otherwise I did not have a problem at all with it.
Ok, I now have that out of my system!
Imagination 2004
Diamond Princess 2006
Emerald Princess 2008
Imagination 2009!
Old January 26th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katmom
Last week we did self assist on the Imagination...The only part I didn't like was that they told EVERYONE they had to be out of their cabins by 9:00, and of course, their are people on this earth who think rules are not for them, and did not leave their cabins, so, we were on deck 7, and that was the deck the gangplank is on, we were the first allowed to disembark, but because people were in their cabins still and shouldn't have been, instead on standing in a small line like everyone else who followed the rules, they just held up the whole process dragging their stuff out of their cabins and cut in the line wherever they could butt their way in. THAT made the process longer and more frustrating, otherwise I did not have a problem at all with it.
Ok, I now have that out of my system!
Doesn't it feel better to have it out of your system ? Our complaints are consistent it's the people who feel that the rules/instructions don't apply to them that hold up the process for the rest of us.
Old January 26th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Phil&Liz

Quote:
Originally Posted by briguy
It was nice but I did see a few people try to butt in and they were soundly rejected by the staff. It was nice to see Carnival paying attention.
I agree completely here. If ship crew did a better job of controlling and enforcing the debark it would go much smoother.

We enjoy the self debark for the time savings but would do without if the regular process was handled better.

As far as timing goes....it is never a good plan to book a return flight within 4 hrs of ships arrival time. Why have the stress of rushing off the ship just to get to the airport.

We're VIP (nnot Platinum...yet) for BLOG2NOLA so we will see what we get as far as debark perks. I know we get the priority embark.

Briguy...maybe ask John Heald on his blog about this..just post a comment marked "John Please Reply."

I will try to ask him personally next week.

Phil & Liz

The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money. Margaret Thatcher

Never take an idiot travelling, you can always pick one up when you get there. Billy Connolly

I Didn't Come here and I ain't Leaving.
Willie Nelson

9/01/2013 Carnival Legend
2/16/2014 BC 7

Bill Murray
20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.
Old January 26th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Here's the best part, as we were in line to get off, in one cabin (that should have been empty) were two elderly women, in bed, with the covers up to their chins, and they were watching tv!!! At close to 9:30. When did they expect to leave?
Imagination 2004
Diamond Princess 2006
Emerald Princess 2008
Imagination 2009!
Old January 26th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Admiral

Regarding the names that you hear paged over and over regarding immigration--I've said this before but allow me to pass it on again --
pick up a phone and dial their cabin. Once they kept paging this guy with a Spanish name for what seemed like forever, giving his name and cabin number. After I couldn't take it anymore, I picked up a phone, dialed his cabin and --guess what--after 4-5 rings this sleepy voice answered. I advised they had been paging him forever to report to immigration and if he didn't do so immediately we were coming after his a%%.
We never heard him paged again. I could only wonder as to why some half-wit at the pursers desk couldn't call his cabin rather than spend 45 minutes paging him every 2-3 minutes. It works. Next time you hear them paging and holding up the process, pick up a phone and " advise " the culprit
that he has 2-3 minutes to show up or they will come get him.
Old January 26th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Admiral

That is great Ron! Wish I was there with you. Bob