Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 23rd, 2009, 11:51 PM
Captain

Default Mini Spirit Review

Spent 8 wonderful days in Mexico and just got home today. I will touch on a few things I liked and things that could be improved.

I am Platinum so I was able to jump the line which was great. Downside is you still wait for embarkation photo and sail and sign photo with everybody else. One machine was broken so there was one camera for 2000 people. All in all I saved a bunch of time though.

Room... standard balcony on port side near bow. Loved the location as it was quiet and away from the action. Strange smells came from our bathroom as well as hallway.. and no it wasnt something I caused..lol. Steward did his job well but not real friendly. We borrowed a couple of drink glasses from our room and he seemed to be peeved about that. Get over it dude.. the ship has plenty. Had lots of towels and supplies so overall I give this a good rating.

Ship condition.... going into drydock in mid March up in San Francisco. Inside still looks decent and I didnt notice terrible wear or areas in dire need of repair. The hull looked like crap though. Looks like it needs a complete painting overhaul. Lots of rust etc at waterline which is expected I guess. This may be unrelated but beware if you disembark in Manzanillo and watch out for the 5 ft only clearance leaving the ship from deck A. I banged the bejeezes out of my head and hurt my neck doing so. I was so pissed I turned around and punched the door. At that point the photographer says "watch your head sir". Great timing pal.

Food... decent dining room fare. Nothing outstanding or terrible. Lido deck breakfasts are good and selection was great. Tough to find OJ most of the time. Nobody could tell me why. Lunches and lido dinners were pretty good too. I am so sick of lemonade I could spit. Quite often it was overly sour or too sweet. Choices were the lemonade or lame tea, thats it. Where is the apple juice man? Ate one night in the supper club. Reservations dept. screwed up when I asked for a particular night and was told they were sold out. When I called later to see if there was a cancellation there were plenty of tables. When we were there it was maybe half full at best. Somebody messed that one up. Food was good but not as good as some of the other ships supper clubs. Maybe it was just me. Morning room service was on time every time. Good service and I took care of those guys. No midnight buffets and the chocolate buffet was never advertised. Just happened to be there otherwise I wouldnt have known.

Entertainment.... No more red, white and blue teams!! Yea! I never understood it to begin with. Glad its over. Saw only 1 of the major showroom acts with singers and dancers. It was ok but nothing to write home about. Had seen Rudy Lowe about 12 years earlier and I mentioned it to him. His main reaction to me was if he looked older. It was all in fun of course. Chris Roberts was the CD. He in my opinion is average. Not tons of personality but maybe it was this was his first cruise in 2 months and he was rusty. Steve something or other was the piano bar singer. He can play the piano but god he can not sing a note. How did he get that job? Wish I knew his last name as I am curious as to what other people think. To prove you dont need to be a singer I was karaoking one night and after singing two songs Kim the host asked if I would do Elton John in the Legends show. I decided to do it but was scared beyond belief trying to learn Crocodile Rock all week. It almost messed up my cruise all the worrying I did. The other singers nailed their songs but i felt like a complete fish out of water on stage. I am not a singer and I dont pretend to be. I liked the Elton costume but my performance had me sweating and almost puking. Thank god I didnt forget any lyrics. They give you a CD of the entire show to take home and it hurt watching myself today. I did that show less than 24 hours ago and the memory still burns. I gotta say I did feel good about not completly blowing it though. Frank Sinatra drew a blank halfway thru his and it was a bit uncomfortable. Bottom line it was fun I guess.

Platinum perks... loved the priority boarding and disembarkation. I had my laundry done every day literally. Loved that part too. They can keep the petit fours and canapes. They delivered the canapes while I was at dinner with no notice. I dont think they understood that most people dont need food to be waiting for them when they return from dinner. Hope the fish enjoyed them as we didnt touch them. Had a special galley tour. The only thing good about it was it wasnt the 500 people that go on the standard one. Wasnt all too thrilling though. Did the free slot tournament. Didnt do well but it was fun to play. Got my Carnival thermos which is cool. I will use that.

Ports.... Acapulco was nice. Lots of vendors and little kids tugging at your heart strings to sell you chicklets but I know they are products of their parents. I have no problem saying no to them as easy as adults. I never said the word no so much in my life. Life is tough for them Im sure so they are forced to be persistent. Beaches were nice and the cliff diver show was real cool. Glad we did it.

Zihwatenejo had an awesome beach right near the pier with full service bar waiters, tables, umbrellas the works. Water was warm and clear. It was my favorite stop.

Manzanillo.. we just shopped in town and didnt do beach stuff. As I said earlier I got conked pretty good on the head leaving the ship so my mood wasnt great. Mellow place compared to other Mexican towns as they locals dont bother you as much. To that I say bravo.

Overall I had a great time and Carnival is still doing its part to show you a good time. There are some service issues that need resolving..ie no soaps in the public restrooms, dryers in the same rooms that dont work but that may be solved in drydock as some employees may have mentally checked out already. I didnt let the small stuff ruin my trip as there is always some things that dont go right but for the most part it was great and Carnival cruise #10 was as good as my first...
1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Freedom of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream
2012-Allure of the Seas and Navigator of the Seas
Sponsored Links
Old January 24th, 2009, 12:19 AM
Cruise Maniac

Seems to me that you let the small things get the best of you. My motto is "Don't sweat the small stuff". The idea that you got so angry after hitting your head that you had to punch something tells me you need to lighten up a little bit. Please don't get me wrong-I understand that we pay a lot of money that is hard earned for these vacations but my vacations are few and far between and I try to make the most out of them.
Old January 24th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Captain

My hitting the wall was just a reactionary thing.. I didnt let it spoil anything. I was over it in a few minutes once my head stopped spinning... I had a great time overall as I said..
1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream
Old January 24th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Admiral

Hope your head is feeling better. That must have hurt bad! Bob
Old January 25th, 2009, 02:41 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Formal nights

Glad to hear that you had a good time. What nights were the Formal nights?
I leave this Saturday (Jan 31) on the same cruise. I made reservations for the Supper Club for Monday which is the 3rd night. We are slated to tour Acapulco with Rosie. Looking forward to going back to Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa. Spent a week there in 03.
Thanks
Darren

Carnival Spirit - Mexican Riviera
Carnival Glory 2007
RCCL Navigator of the Sea 2004
Carnival Elation 2002
Old January 25th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Admiral

Good review! We love the Spirit class ships, but haven't sailed "Pride" since she was new sailing out of Port Canaveral, Florida, and never tried "Spirit.
I almost always do the "Legends Show", and really enjoy doing it, and remember very well the first time worrying about the lyrics. After that, you realize that it's all in fun, and hey,,,,if you screw up,,,it's really no big deal anyway, so just enjoy the spotlight, and have a GREAT time. I've been "Frank" several times, and the last time, decided to try something new, so did "Elvis". Lots and lots of fun.
Welcome home, and thanks for the review, and the memories!

Ken
"SKY"
Old January 25th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Captain

Default Re: Formal nights

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2?
Glad to hear that you had a good time. What nights were the Formal nights?
I leave this Saturday (Jan 31) on the same cruise. I made reservations for the Supper Club for Monday which is the 3rd night. We are slated to tour Acapulco with Rosie. Looking forward to going back to Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa. Spent a week there in 03.
Thanks
Darren

Formal nights were night #2 and the 2nd to last night. Its the same as the 7 day trips. Double check your supper club rez, ours got messed up. Get ready for 88 degrees and lots of sun.
1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream
Old January 31st, 2009, 04:40 AM
Familiar Face

[color=#444444]Hola Briguy,

I am putting together a group of buddies from Baja for the October 26 departure on this 8 day Spirit cruise. So I guess that means we will be post dry-dock and the ship will be all fresh for us!

Can you tell me what goes on in the Versailles Lounge? Do they have some sort of entertainment there nightly, or what? I am presuming the shows are all in the Pharaoh's Showroom.

We had such a good time last year on the Elation that I just decided to find a way to do it more often!

I saw your post about OB credits... did they do them, and how? They have offered us a $50 credit, but $140 does sound better!

Thanks for writing the review... it's great to hear from you.

~K
Old February 1st, 2009, 04:35 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenito
[color=#444444]Hola Briguy,

I am putting together a group of buddies from Baja for the October 26 departure on this 8 day Spirit cruise. So I guess that means we will be post dry-dock and the ship will be all fresh for us!

Can you tell me what goes on in the Versailles Lounge? Do they have some sort of entertainment there nightly, or what? I am presuming the shows are all in the Pharaoh's Showroom.

We had such a good time last year on the Elation that I just decided to find a way to do it more often!

I saw your post about OB credits... did they do them, and how? They have offered us a $50 credit, but $140 does sound better!

Thanks for writing the review... it's great to hear from you.

~K

The Versailles lounge mainly had a top 40 rock band. They werent there every night but most of them. A lot of people dont know about this lounge as it is centered right below the Pharohs Lounge on deck 1. They also did the art auction in the Versailles. OB was a result of the fuel fee refund. They just post it to your sail and sign immediately so you are in the black to start with which is nice. We blew thru that pretty quickly though. You will have a great time.. enjoy!
1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream