Re: Triumph Apr 19th - First Time Family Cruise - some quest
Originally Posted by C_Rath
Hi Everyone -- this forum seems very helpful, so I am hopeful to get some solid answers!
I am taking my family (wife and 3 boys, 11,8,6) on our first cruise this April 19th. West Carib route. Questions may seem silly, but if you have any thoughts, we would love to hear them:
(1) pre-cruise Miami beach hotel -- need 2 nights pre-trip. Nothing fancy but on/close to the beach for family of 5.
(2) clothing -- can we get away with shorts/t-shirts at the 'seated' dining area? or is it khaki pants etc? are night-times on deck cool? do we need sweats?
(3) other then tipping & drinks -- what other on-board costs can we anticipate? I know about SPA .. what about fitness classes (or is it included)?
(4) any MUST do activities while on ship? or at any of the ports?
(5) can someone walk me through what a typical day on board might be for an 8 years old boy?
(6) Kids Club -- any ratings or input on this?
Sorry for all the questions -- appreciate any responses!
Cheers from cold Ottawa.
I can't answer all your questions but here are a few of them.
I'm sure you'll get some good suggestions regarding a hotel, but you might also check under the Embarkation Ports forum.
Shorts and T-shirts are not acceptable in the formal dining rooms for dinner. It depends on the maitre d', but you may be asked to leave and return in approrpiate attire. Or you may just be frowned at
Photos & souveniers are the other leading expenses on board. There is an arcarde which costs $ I'm sure as well as the casino if that is your vice. Of course if you do your shore excursions through Carnival they show up on your sign & sail account. What else ... art auctions, bingo, raffles. Carnival is very clever at separating you from your money. Everything but the casino goes on your sign and sail account so your need for cash on board is very minimal.
All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by; John Masefield
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015