CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Airport in Fort Lauderdale (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/360791-airport-fort-lauderdale.html)

briguy January 28th, 2009 02:49 PM

Airport in Fort Lauderdale

How far is the pier from the FL airport? As a Platinum customer can I make an 11am flight with wiggle room? Rather get out of town sooner than later but dont want to sweat it if there is a debarkation issue.

ScurvyDog January 28th, 2009 03:01 PM

The airport and cruise port are extremely close. You should be able to make the 11:00 with no problem.

skymaster January 28th, 2009 04:31 PM

ScurvyDog is right. The airport is right next to the cruise port. (You can see the ships docked as you land.) As long as there are no debarkation problems (ie: no body that hasn't checked in with U.S. Customs who is holding up the entire ship, or drug problems, or anything like that.) you should be able to make it with no problems. We're Platinum as well, and are almost always off the ship by 9 A.M. at the latest.

Ken
"SKY"

Trip January 28th, 2009 04:51 PM

I too have made 11;00 flights with no issues, but those pesky custom problems, do pop up occasionally.

Imagine what weekend flights out will be like one the 2 new Genesis class ships from RCI start cruising from Fll...the airports will be a battlefield!!

CA Cruiser January 28th, 2009 05:06 PM

Like everyone says yes you should be able to make it. We met a Geman family, 2 small chlldren, a week ago as we were going to breakfast before we got off the Westerdam who were disembarking to catch a 9 AM flight!!! Our flight wasn't till 3:30 but we got to FLL airport at 10 am because they cancelled our excursion transfer. The security line was soooo long and around the corner. We were in it for over 30 minutes.

kcjdwill February 3rd, 2009 10:25 AM

Good morning.

I am a brand new poster but have been reading and following evryone’s wonderful advice for several months now and have found it extremely helpful in past cruises.

Our entire family (17 in all) will be sailing the Freedom at the end of this month and half of us will be flying down to the port in Ft. Lauderdale. We have never sailed out of a port this big before and have previously just driven to the port. Does anyone know how many ships are in this port at any given time? Will that cause congestion at the airport with multiple debarkings? Our flight is also at 11:00 in the morning and we are a bit concerned about making it in time. Thanks for any suggestions that may be offered.

spencercoop February 3rd, 2009 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcjdwill
Good morning.

I am a brand new poster but have been reading and following evryone’s wonderful advice for several months now and have found it extremely helpful in past cruises.

Our entire family (17 in all) will be sailing the Freedom at the end of this month and half of us will be flying down to the port in Ft. Lauderdale. We have never sailed out of a port this big before and have previously just driven to the port. Does anyone know how many ships are in this port at any given time? Will that cause congestion at the airport with multiple debarkings? Our flight is also at 11:00 in the morning and we are a bit concerned about making it in time. Thanks for any suggestions that may be offered.

What date are you sailing.

kcjdwill February 3rd, 2009 11:09 AM

Hi,

We are sailing the 28th of February

ScurvyDog February 3rd, 2009 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcjdwill
Good morning.

On any given day there may be as many as 6 or 7 cruise ships in port. If you are not a Platinum customer you can use express debark where you carry off all your own luggage. If that is not a good option take your airline tickets to the pursers desk and they will give you a priority debark zone number.

kcjdwill February 3rd, 2009 11:51 AM

Wonderful!!! Thank you so much. I will do that.

Dutchman February 3rd, 2009 11:56 AM

Just got back from cruises out of FLL and if you are Platinum you should be able to get a 9 AM flight. Plats were off by 7:30 -7:45. 10 min to airport. Both the Splendor and Freedom were off at that time. There always could be a problem but your odds are there will not. Spin the wheel, we will next time instead of sitting in the airport 4 hrs.

kcjdwill February 3rd, 2009 12:07 PM

Thanks again,
How does one become platinum?

ScurvyDog February 3rd, 2009 01:29 PM

10 cruises with Carnival.

kcjdwill February 5th, 2009 10:29 AM

Thanks for the info.

I have one more question. Does anyone know if you can print your boarding pass for the flight from the ship the day before or must we wait until we get to the airport on the day we head home to do so. Obviously, I am thinking in terms of time. Will we have enough time to get to the airport, check luggage, print boarding passes, go through security, etc........Will the purses desk offer this service?

Thanks in advance for any input.