Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 1st, 2009, 02:35 PM
Admiral

Default 1A cabin info

Anyone done this? Wondering if they are much smaller then the 4a's? Mine is on the Carnival Glory. web sites they are 185ft and 4a are 220ft, I've heard some people say the size is the same, others say they are smaller. Mine is in the very front of the ship, with portholes. Any one who has been in one of these let me know what you thought, how was the view?
Carnival Pride October 2006 (Mexican Rivera)
Carnival Legend 2007 (Western Caribbean)
Carnival Glory 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Liberty 2011 Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Spirit 2011 Western Caribbean
Carnival Miracle 2012 Southern Caribbean
Carnival Breeze 2013 Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Valor 2014 Southern Caribbean
Sponsored Links
Old February 1st, 2009, 02:37 PM
Admiral

I don't know about the view, since we have always done the aft inside 1A's when we book them. But, the cabins surprised me, as they are very well laid out and there was plenty of room. Just no sofa bed area. But, plenty of closet and drawer space, etc. We actually like those cabins.
Marty
Old February 1st, 2009, 02:42 PM
Admiral

Default 1A cabin info

Thanks Marty. Ours is supposed to have a pull down sofa instead of bunk beds or maybe it will just have two on the floor beds not sure yet. If I don't try it I will always wonder. If we don't like it are upgrades on the ship very expensive?
Old February 1st, 2009, 02:49 PM
Admiral

Yes, upgrades once you are on board can be pricey. You are now a captive audience. The only way to move is to complain about somthing other than size, like noise, and hope they will be willing to help you out.

But, I doubt that you will care.

These are really good cabins. We've introduced some local friends to these and now that is all that they will book!

Hope it works out for you. It makes it easier to cruise in today's economy when the cabin price is so tight!
Marty
Old February 1st, 2009, 03:09 PM
Familiar Face

Default what's a 1a

Okay...I had to do a search the Carnival website to find out that a 1A features upper and lower bunks.

Is there any place that has all of the Carnival cabin codes laid out?

Also... are some of these comments here talking about selecting a 1A cabin for just
two passeng
ers?
Old February 1st, 2009, 03:10 PM
Admiral

Default 1A cabin info

How many closets do they have?
Old February 1st, 2009, 03:21 PM
Admiral

Some have a pull out sofa,some have bunk beds. I think they might hold more people I have one booked with a friend. I use the Carnival brocure or you can do a google search to view cabins and deck plans on whatever ship your on.
Old February 1st, 2009, 04:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

I had a 1A on the Carnival Freedom, cabin 1211. Would take it again in a heartbeat. Had the 2 portholes with a single bed and a sofa bed also. Cabin layout was the same as any other typical cabin with the exception of the bed. It backed up to the bathroom and paralled the wall length wise and then the sofa. It gave an appearance of a bigger cabin, lots of room to get around. Same layout for the desk and closets also. The only drawback to me was being close to the bow, hearing noises along with the anchor and such. But I sleep thru pretty much anything. For the price I couldn't beat it.

Turn off your mind, relax, and float downstream

Jubilee July '86
Celebration May '88
Fantasy June '90
Sovereign of the Seas May '93
Windjammer Polynesia June '06
Carnival Triumph May '07
Carnival Freedom Dec.'07
Carnival Imagination Oct.'08
Carnival Destiny Dec.'08
Carnival Liberty May '09
Carnival Freedom Nov.'09
Old February 1st, 2009, 05:44 PM
Admiral

Default 1a cabin info

Thanks for the info sounds like I have the same cabin pretty much as the one you were on in the Freedom. Was the sofa bed just as comfy as the bed?
Old February 1st, 2009, 10:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

Sorry, I can't answer about the sofa bed as I was traveling solo, so I naturally took the bed. Enjoy the cabin and more importantly have a great cruise!!!!

Turn off your mind, relax, and float downstream

Jubilee July '86
Celebration May '88
Fantasy June '90
Sovereign of the Seas May '93
Windjammer Polynesia June '06
Carnival Triumph May '07
Carnival Freedom Dec.'07
Carnival Imagination Oct.'08
Carnival Destiny Dec.'08
Carnival Liberty May '09
Carnival Freedom Nov.'09
Old February 2nd, 2009, 02:44 AM
Admiral

Default 1A cabin

Thanks Jimmy.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 11:20 AM
Captain

Default Re: 1A cabin info

Quote:
Originally Posted by showcat
Anyone done this? Wondering if they are much smaller then the 4a's? Mine is on the Carnival Glory. web sites they are 185ft and 4a are 220ft, I've heard some people say the size is the same, others say they are smaller. Mine is in the very front of the ship, with portholes. Any one who has been in one of these let me know what you thought, how was the view?
Sounds like there is some confusion? A 4A is 185 s.f., a 1A in many cases on Conquest class, like Glory, can be up to 220 s.f. (the opposite of what I think you said?)

The port hole cabins are next to 5As and about 5 feet smaller than a 220 s.f. 5a. The 1A two down will again be smaller again by 5 ft in length as the hull curves. So, the two 1As next to the 5As are largest of the choices and yes larger than 185 s.f.

Also, you mention the convertible sofa and someone said something about a pull down. The convertible sofa is just as is, and they take off the coverlet and the pillows to sleep on. It doesnt pull down or fold out. It is a little lower than a twin bed and so you cant push the beds together.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 03:05 PM
Passenger

Hi Carol, it's me... Lucy Ramirez. I had to get a new user name of LucyR. since I forgot my pasword and it was hard trying to get a new password.

I have been in a Cat.1-A with the two portholes. The cabin was beautiful and spacious. It had one lower bed and two upper beds and a sofa on the floor. It had enough space for 4 persons to sleep bed wise.
It was located in the lowest deck so I could see the ocean waves splashing on the portholes at times. It was fun looking at it.

The major flaw was that the ships bounce more in the front of the ships.
So the cabin was moving up and down and I could hear the waves too.

I loved the cabin but it had a major problem with the shower drain and it was stopped up. I talked to the hotel manager and he had me moved to another cabin which was a cat.4-A. I didn't have to pay any extra money.

Always ask for the name of the top person in charge of cabins which is the hotel manager. I didn't tell the front desk workers because they always say they don't have any cabins available.

It was on formal night that the drains got stopped up so I was all dressed up when I met the hotel manager and I said to him, "I would like to take a shower but I can't because the drain is stopped up and the workers are not able to fix the problem. He said to me, "go have a nice dinner and then go to the front desk and they will help you."

I just went to the front desk and said, " the hotel manage has made arragements for me to move to a new cabin." So they moved me.

It is 185sq.feet like the cat.4-A's.

I don't remember the name of the Carnival ship.... except that I had my own cabin real cheap.

I think that Carnival keeps the old photo of the bunk beds to discourage cruisers from buying the cat.1-A's. It looks so dismal but I did talk to a travel agent from Carnival who explained to me that the new Carnival Splendor has one lower twin size bed and the other bed is in the ceiling.
It is also 185 sq.ft. I booked the Carnival Splendor for Halloween and for Dec. 6th for the MEX-RIVIERA. LUCY R.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 04:03 PM
Admiral

I have slept on the sofa bed and it was fine. Seemed a tad narrower than the beds, but that may have been my assumption. In any case, I was quite comfy. And, it has always been hubby and me in these cabins, so that is all I know.
Marty
Old February 3rd, 2009, 04:37 PM
Admiral

Default 1A cabin info

Thanks Luci, it's good to see your back! You have so much valuable information your a cruise expert, that you can help a lot of people here. Thankyou Marty also for the cabin info, I might even try the top bunk one night just to compare with the sofa bed. I'm actually excited about trying a new cabin catagory now! In the future I'd like to try an aft balcony, and a french door cabin they have on some Carnival ships on the lifeboat decks. I hope our shower is ok, and our ride is smooth. We once had a storm at sea and it was actually exciting watching the waves splash our windows and the lightning, though I took an extra dose of Dramaine that night!
Old February 4th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Admiral

I'm attempting my luck with 1A cabins on the Holiday ( U212) and Triumph ( 6226). U212 has a window supposedly 8) .
If I don't like it, I'll spread the word. :o

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Old February 4th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Passenger

Hi Carol, I heard a lady say that the French doors don't open at all.

The best way to cruise is as cheap as we can so we can cruise more.

We all need to book as early as possible so we can get the best locations of cabins that we prefer to get. I like being near an elevator.

Carnival now has the early booking deal that says that if prices go down we will get the lowest rate even if we have already paid up. Lucy
Old February 4th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Admiral

Default 1A cabin

Hi Luci, I've heard the doors do open but you can't step outside, you do get a large window but it's obstructed by a lifeboat. I've never done a french door just considered it, I would love to see on in person, so if you ever get the chance check one out. Maybe a room steward could show you an empty one on the Splendor?

I have considered upgrading my 1A to a window cabin but my roomate figures we save $100 on this cabin which we can use towards a hotel in port or shore excursion. If I decide to upgrade on the ship do you know if it costs a lot more? Also we are cruising in September so that should mean way less kids on board, since they are back in school correct?
Old February 4th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Passenger

Hi, the cruise rates does go down in Sept. I am guessing you both will have to pay $100. more each for a cat.4-A.

If you want to change..... tell your roomie that the ship really goes up and down a lot way in the front of the ship. IT REALLY DOES!!! She may get seasick and not like the bouncing of the waves. It feels like it is hitting a brick wall.

The front of the ship is the last place I want to be because the cabin has too much movement. The port hole cabins are nice but I don't think they are worth it to me if they go up and down too much.

There is still time for you to move to a mid-ship or AFT cabin. Lucy
Old February 4th, 2009, 05:33 PM
First Mate

just had a cat. 1a on the splendor last week. it was on the empress deck mid ship. it was a little smaller tham most inside cabins. but was perfect for the solo traveler. it did have twin bunk beds with one that stays in the ceiling if not needed.
Old February 4th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Admiral

Default 1 A cabin info

Thanks Kevin there will be 2 people in mine it's supposed to have a fold out couch but I can suck it up and take top bunk if needed just hope I wouldn't roll out!

Luci, I was asking if I can change cabins on the ship cause I'd like to try our cabin, I had a 6A just a few far back from the front and it was fine, on an 8 night cruise I did. Do you think the ships make the upgrade prices higher or lower if you change on the cruise it's self?
Old February 4th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Captain

Default Re: 1 A cabin info

Quote:
Originally Posted by showcat
Thanks Kevin there will be 2 people in mine it's supposed to have a fold out couch but I can suck it up and take top bunk if needed just hope I wouldn't roll out!

Luci, I was asking if I can change cabins on the ship cause I'd like to try our cabin, I had a 6A just a few far back from the front and it was fine, on an 8 night cruise I did. Do you think the ships make the upgrade prices higher or lower if you change on the cruise it's self?
Im not Luci, but every Carnival cruise Iv ever been on sailed full, including the one I was on last week. No upgrades or changing of cabins possible (I ran into several who tried).

I still think there is no fold out couch. On Carnival, its just a couch, that you remove the pillows and the coverlet, it doesnt fold out in any way. Carnival calls it a "covertible" sofa, because it doubles as a bed.
Old February 4th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoth
I'm attempting my luck with 1A cabins on the Holiday ( U212) and Triumph ( 6226). U212 has a window supposedly 8) .
I have 6227 on Triumph. The cabin opposite yours. Hope you dont hate yours. I would have picked one of the 1As with two windows or even a port hole had I had any choice. I booked thru sky auction site and their terms are they pick your cabin.

I dont have that cabin until next Dec. PM me how you like it and if its quiet above the theater if you are in it before me.
Old February 4th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Passenger

Hi Kevin, I have booked an Cat-1-A cabin mid-ship on the Empress deck on the Splendor. Can I move the twin bed away from the wall?

I am cruising Solo and I totally do like the small cabins. It makes me feel like a bug in a rug comfy. I don't like big cabins by myself.

Carol, the cruise ship could be cruising with some empty cabins but they always say they don't have any cabins available. In my 35+ cruises I have never heard of anybody being able to change cabins unless there was a serious problem in their cabin.

Since you are petite....you will be able to fit on the sofa. They are big sofas. The cabin steward will make it comfy for you too with bedding. You should take turns sleeping on the twin bed since you are both paying the same price. Be assertive and just say, "Lets take turns sleeping on the bed". Most likely your roomie will agree. Lucy
Old February 4th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Admiral

Default 1A cabin

I can even take the bunk if it's bigger but yes I thought I would ask my roomate if we could swap the bed. Luci you did switch on board from the cabin with the leaky shower to a 4a correct. So if need be I will complain if there is a problem other wise I will make the best of it. Excited to see a new cabin even if it a bit smaller.
Old February 4th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Passenger

Carol, here is my secret advise..... charm your cabin steward by asking sweetly if there are empty cabins on his deck. If he says, "yes".... Don't get him in trouble by telling the front desk that your cabin steward told you there were some empty cabins. Just play dumb with the hotel manager.

Sweet talk the hotel manager to move you. Talk to him privately with no listeners standing around you. You do have a charming personality.

If you want to change cabins it is best to do it now when you do have the opportunity to change cabins. I would choose Mid-ship or AFT. You will not have a port-hole but you will not be bouncing up and down from the waves. Lucy
Old February 5th, 2009, 11:53 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoth
I have 6227 on Triumph. The cabin opposite yours. Hope you dont hate yours. I would have picked one of the 1As with two windows or even a port hole had I had any choice. I booked thru sky auction site and their terms are they pick your cabin.

I dont have that cabin until next Dec. PM me how you like it and if its quiet above the theater if you are in it before me.
8) ....for a solo traveler such as myself I'm sure 1A will be fine. As for being directly over the theater, I don't see a problem. On the Destiny last year, I was in room 6105 down the hall from 6127. Never was affected by the show lounge. Actually it appears there is perhaps an audio/tech room right on that hallway. There was a "secret" door right next to 6127
By the way, I stopped by to chat with the occupant of 6127 and was told that the room was ideal for one person. (Destiny 6127=Triumph 6227, Destiny 6105=Triumph6205 )

/ticker.png">
Old February 6th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Passenger

FLOWERS, I hope you're wrong about the "convertible" sofa not folding out to a bed. If you're right I will be sleeping on a single sofa the entire cruise We were told it folded out to a very comfortable single bed. I can't imagine sleeping on a sofa for six nights, I'm too old for that.
Old February 6th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Admiral

Default 1A cabin info

The sofa is supposed to fold out into a bed if it does not there are bunk beds that can be pulled down from the ceiling by your cabin steward. If they are more comfortable I would give it a shot, to compare.
Old February 7th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Admiral

shirlee and all,
The sofa bed that they use really is quite comfortable. I'm no young'un myself and have a slew of health problems and I found the sofa to be as good or better than my regular bed at home.
Oh, and you will not roll out of the top bunk. They have a railing insert to prevent that!
Happy cruizin snoozin
Marty