Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 8th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Familiar Face

Default Carnival should learn from Royal Caribbean

A friend of mine just got back from his sixth cruise on Royal Caribbean. I was very interested on how they treat their past guests. Not only do they have the past guest party (the only thing Carnival does for past guests) but after just one cruise each guest is given a coupon book. This book has discounts for shore excursions, store purchases, photo purchases etc. Then after the 5th cruise, the discounts get larger and each guest gets a Royal Caribbean ball cap. After the 10th cruise, the discounts get larger again. I really think Carnival should review the past guest treatment.
Dave
2009 (Nov.) Splendor
2008 Destiny
2008 Liberty
2007 Conquest
2006 Valor
2005 Triumph
1983 Carnivale
Sponsored Links
Old February 8th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Admiral

The best part of it is the Diamond lounge (after the 10th cruise). Free drinks each evening along with finger foods and shrimp. For breakfest cappachino and muffins/pastries are served in the lounge. Great on mornings when you don't want to deal with the morning buffet.
Wonderful for meeting and hanging out with other Diamond members and having a pre dinner cocktail.

The coupon book is good if you will use it. Have used the Johnny Rockets coupons, Interent coupons, free slot machine pull coupons and photo and store purchase coupons.

IMO Royal does have the best past guest perks. Hope that does not change.

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old February 8th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Passenger

Yes, RCL has lots of great things about it. BUT.... they don't give us SOLO CRUISERS A GREAT DEAL LIKE CARNIVAL DOES!!

RCL charges me double for what Carnival charges me.
I am only paying $595. and $575. for my next two cruises with Carnival.
I would have had to pay $ 990. for just one cruise with RCL.

I have to consider my budget. I wish RCL would lower their rates for us SOLO CRUISERS. I don't have any friends to cruise with so I end up having to pay more for my cruises.

I will not consider a stranger roomie since I have had a bad experience with a stranger roomie. I also prefer to have my own cabin and not worry about pleasing a roomie.
Old February 9th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Captain

Default Re: Carnival should learn from Royal Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prankster
Then after the 5th cruise, the discounts get larger and each guest gets a Royal Caribbean ball cap. After the 10th cruise, the discounts get larger again. I really think Carnival should review the past guest treatment.
Actually, you start getting a free logo item after one cruise, not after 5. We will turn Platinum next RCL cruise and have 4 of the RCL bags and 2 baseball caps. I cant remember what we got on our 2nd cruise.

After 5 cruises the balcony discount for 7 days is $100, after 10 cruises, it goes up to $200. This is one of my favorite perks, real $$$ off a balcony (or higher). Balcony guarantees on my Voyager cruise were down to $699, so its the equilvalent of getting a balcony for $599 and their balconys are bigger than on Carnival ships for a regular balcony.

I'd like to see Carnival improve their perks for past guests and suite pax, but everyone tells me then they would have to raise the prices. Oh well.
Old February 9th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyR.
Yes, RCL has lots of great things about it. BUT.... they don't give us SOLO CRUISERS A GREAT DEAL LIKE CARNIVAL DOES!!

RCL charges me double for what Carnival charges me.
I am only paying $595. and $575. for my next two cruises with Carnival.
I would have had to pay $ 990. for just one cruise with RCL.

I have to consider my budget. I wish RCL would lower their rates for us SOLO CRUISERS. I don't have any friends to cruise with so I end up having to pay more for my cruises.

I will not consider a stranger roomie since I have had a bad experience with a stranger roomie. I also prefer to have my own cabin and not worry about pleasing a roomie.
Good point ! Now i recall why I never sailed with RCL + some others. 200% room rates for us single folks.... that's discrimination ! :evil:

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Old February 9th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

It seems with the economy the way it is, that, the cruise lines could lighten the pricing for single cruisers.....I could bet some ships sail with cabins that could some how be offered, maybe closer to the sail date.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 10th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Admiral

Royal's solo rates are crazy high!! If I was a solo cruiser I would not pay those prices and cruise on another line.

It is mostly families on Royal.

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old February 10th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Admiral

As a solo traveler, I'm thankful to Carnival for their reasonable rates. Holland America too has worked with in the past.
Royal Caribbean has never been in my ball park, Celebrity wanted $3000 for a 7 day Alaska cruise + air....$1000 more than the HAL trip I took.
For that reason, I simply have ceased to inquire with some of these other lines. Now when booking I generally consider only Carnival or HAL.

/ticker.png">
Old February 10th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prankster
Then after the 5th cruise, the discounts get larger and each guest gets a Royal Caribbean ball cap. After the 10th cruise, the discounts get larger again. I really think Carnival should review the past guest treatment.
Actually, you start getting a free logo item after one cruise, not after 5. We will turn Platinum next RCL cruise and have 4 of the RCL bags and 2 baseball caps. I cant remember what we got on our 2nd cruise.

After 5 cruises the balcony discount for 7 days is $100, after 10 cruises, it goes up to $200. This is one of my favorite perks, real $$$ off a balcony (or higher). Balcony guarantees on my Voyager cruise were down to $699, so its the equilvalent of getting a balcony for $599 and their balconys are bigger than on Carnival ships for a regular balcony.

I'd like to see Carnival improve their perks for past guests and suite pax, but everyone tells me then they would have to raise the prices. Oh well.
What are Carnival's perks? I haven't been able to find out.

elizabeth
Old February 10th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Passenger

I don't care that Carnival doesn't have any perks because they always give me the best deals on cruises as a solo cruiser. I can buy my own perks with the $400. that I save from cruising with Carnival.

After one more cruise with Carnival.... I will become a VIP with them which means they will wash my clothes and treat me like a VIP. Yeah!

You have to complete 9 cruises before you become a VIP.

I have saved a lot of money cruising on Carnival.

I totally resent having to pay extra money to the other cruiselines.

I hope they learn from Carnival how to treat us Solo cruisers better.
Old February 10th, 2009, 08:44 PM
First Mate

I don't know about the rest of you, but judging from the cruisequeens photo, there is no way she could ever be a solo cruiser!
Carnival Pride Jan/07 Long Beach
Splendour of the Seas Sept/09 Venice
Adventure of the Seas Jan/11 San Juan
Adventure of the Seas Feb/12 San Juan
Navigator of the Seas Jan/13 N'arlins

<

Read and post cruise reviewsRead and post cruise reviews
Old February 11th, 2009, 01:32 AM
Admiral

[quote="gwinel
What are Carnival's perks? I haven't been able to find out.

elizabeth[/quote]
Huhh
Win the trivia contest and receive a ship on a stick ! ( that's their trophy)
I have found that perks aren't free. The idea here is that I'll buy my own coffee mug, so just charge me less to start with.

/ticker.png">
Old February 11th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Admiral

When it comes to pricing, each cruiseline knows what their cruises are worth.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013
Booked Allure of the Seas....12/27/2015
Old February 11th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Passenger

Carnival has really improved and it is the fun ship!! It has the best changes of meeting some fun people to hang around with on a cruise.
Since I come from a working class background I like to hang around with people from my level. I have nothing in common with the super rich people.
I am just an average lady that loves the ocean and the life-style of cruise ships.
Old February 11th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Carnival has really improved and it is the fun ship!! It has the best changes of meeting some fun people to hang around with on a cruise.
Since I come from a working class background I like to hang around with people from my level. I have nothing in common with the super rich people.
I am just an average lady that loves the ocean and the life-style of cruise ships.
I come from a working class background also, and I certainly respect your preference for Carnival. I have been on two Carnival cruises myself. Now with that said, you will not find super rich people on RCCL or similar cruiselines.
People who are very rich have their own yachts, or they might sail on the super expensive luxury cruise lines.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013
Booked Allure of the Seas....12/27/2015
Old February 11th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel
Quote:
I come from a working class background also, and I certainly respect your preference for Carnival. I have been on two Carnival cruises myself. Now with that said, you will not find super rich people on RCCL or similar cruiselines.
People who are very rich have their own yachts, or they might sail on the super expensive luxury cruise lines.

TM
Nope Carnival isn't a rich person's cruise-line. Neither was Holland America when I sailed.
The wealthy likely sail on the yachts of Seaborn? :o

/ticker.png">