CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Carnival Liberty (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/361177-carnival-liberty.html)

missmanger February 8th, 2009 05:33 PM

Carnival Liberty

Can anyone help???????????????????????This will be our first cruise with Carnival, and we are doing Eastern Caribbean for 7 nights in August on the Liberty. I have seen the various mentions of 'formal nights' but have been unable to get any real info about these. Can anyone clarify what the expected attire is for formal nights - I take it to be evening dress for the ladies and a Tux for the men - and do the majority of passengers adhere to this? Having only cruised with P&O from UK previously, you receive a complete itinerary which confirms the dress code, and you know exactly where you are and don't want to get caught out by Carnival. We are travelling from UK and do not want to bring Formal Attire if we will not be wearing it.

wildcrazyatver February 8th, 2009 06:40 PM

Well from my experence i can tell you that there are two formal evenings one for the captians ball which a suit and tie is a must for men,tux can be rented fronm the ship if needed,and a nice dress for the women are needed and the second is not as formal you can wearjust dress pants and a nice shirt if needed or dont have to go to any of the funtions if you dont have to it up to you if you want to go to the balls
i hope this is helpful

misguidedangel February 9th, 2009 08:20 PM

"Elegant" night is what you want it to be. You may choose to bring a cocktail dress and tux, or you might just bring a nice dress/or suit and a mens suit for the elegant nights. Many men/women dress up quite fancy still, but it is always up to you how you want to dress that night...You'll fit in better if you have an outfit that you would wear to a classy restaurant vs a quality family restaurant.

I wear my black dress pants and a nice blose. It is good enough and I don't care what others think. I saw men wearing what they would wear to work if they worked in an office (shirt, no jacket, and dress casual pants) and women wearing pants and a blouse that would/can be work if she worked in an office....

Your comfort level will dictate what you want to wear/bring. Thus, if you want fancy restaurant, wear the cocktail dress/tux, if you want to leave the fancy clothes at home bring office appropriate outfit and all will work well....

PS--you will love the Liberty-the decor is quite pleasing and Steve the CD is really a nice guy, and funny too. I hope James is still the assistant CD!!! Be wary of Carlos, he is a trickster, a awesome guy, but a cheeky trickster!

Mermaid February 10th, 2009 12:35 PM

On a recent Carnival Cruise I observed the following on "Elegant Night":

Men: about 35% still wearing a suit with tie, about another 35% wearing either a dress shirt and tie, or a shirtw/tie or shirt/no tie/jacket, and the remaining 30% just with a collared shirt
Women: About 40% wearing evening gowns/prom dresses, 40% dressy cocktail wear, and the remaining 20% wore whatever.

With most airlines charging now for luggage, I suspect more and more cruisers will leave the formal wear at home.

The following is a cut and paste from Carnival's web site regarding suggested dress for Elegant Night:

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too! Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.