Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 10th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Admiral

Default Ships missing a port of call

Recently there were some posters here complaining about the ship missing a scheduled port of call. I just don't wish any potential first timers to get the impression that the lines advertise a port of call only to routinely cancel that stop on a whim.
I have been on 8 cruise, 4 with Carnival, 3 with HAL, and one Commodore ( now defunct). Out of 28 scheduled ports, I have visited all 28.
At least based my experiences, the cruise industry does indeed honor their promises.

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Sponsored Links
Old February 10th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Admiral

I agree--- The cruiselines and captain don't just get up one morning and decide to skip a port that day for no reason.
Normally the ports that are skipped are ports that require tenders to get the passengers ashore and if the water is deemed too rough ( normally a decision made by the local port authorities and the captain ) to safely operate the tenders, then they will cancel that particular port. The number one concern for passengers and crew is safety.
Grand Cayman is a great example of an " iffy " port. The first 4-5 times we went there, we didn't have a problem--then we had two cruises in a row that the port was canceled because the water was too rough to safely tender. Have been back 2-3 times since and never had a problem--so, you never know. Better safe than sorry.
Let the pilot fly the plane--let the captain captain the ship --works better that way !!
Old February 10th, 2009, 09:33 PM
First Mate

I have been on 10 cruises all with Carnival. That means there are too many ports to list. What I will say is that we have only missed one port in 10 cruises. Even with missing the one port it was still a great cruise. I don't care if I miss a port or if the port is changed. I know that I will have a great time no matter where we go. I'm in it for the fun and I can have fun anywhere.

Fascination 01/02
Imagination 07/02
Glory 07/04
Glory 12/04
Valor 12/05
Miracle 08/06
Fascination 10/06
Triumph 06/07
Inspiration 11/07
Destiny 08/08 (VIP Status)
Inspiration 11/09 (VIP Status)
Inspiration 10/10 (VIP Status)
Destiny 10/11 (VIP Status)
Enchantment of the Seas(RC)04/13
Dream 07/13
Old February 10th, 2009, 09:56 PM
Admiral

On the seven cruises I have had the Captain switch ports only once, because he wasn't able to safely tender in Catalina. So Catalina became a sea day and we did Enseneda and Catalina back to back. I heard someone complain that the ocean wasn't "that bad'. But as I looked around the ship at some of the older people on board I knew the captain made the right decision. I would prefer to skip or delay a port then cause injury or death to anyone on board.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old February 11th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Admiral

I love this web-site ! Everybody is just so nice. Normally one can expect to be flamed by somebody on the Internet today....sign of the times.
"CruiseMates" patrons seems to mostly think the way I do. First we are all friends here, second we only wish to help each other, third we are all headed on vacation which is good reason to celebrate.

/ticker.png">
Old February 11th, 2009, 01:43 AM
Admiral

Default Missed ports

I missed two ports due to hurricane Dean. We lost Belize, Costa Maya but got Key West and Ocho Rios instead. I was bummed I wanted to see Mayan sites. I just rebooked this cruise also during hurricane season so wish me luck everyone I really want to get back to Belize and to see Costa Maya!

Regarding my cruise missing the ports I still got a 7 day vacation. I did enjoy Key West. Jamacia is one of my least favorite ports but I made the best of it.
Carnival Pride October 2006 (Mexican Rivera)
Carnival Legend 2007 (Western Caribbean)
Carnival Glory 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Liberty 2011 Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Spirit 2011 Western Caribbean
Carnival Miracle 2012 Southern Caribbean
Carnival Breeze 2013 Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Valor 2014 Southern Caribbean
Old February 11th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Pocono Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoth
I love this web-site ! Everybody is just so nice. Normally one can expect to be flamed by somebody on the Internet today....sign of the times.
"CruiseMates" patrons seems to mostly think the way I do. First we are all friends here, second we only wish to help each other, third we are all headed on vacation which is good reason to celebrate.
I agree whole heartedly, we are like one functional family. As far as missing ports of call Ive been on 7 cruises and have never missed a scheduled port of call.

Monarch of the Seas 3-92
Celebrity Century 7-96
Dawn Princess 2-97
Enchantment of the Seas 11-98
Rhapsody of the Seas 8-99
CCL Inspiration 8-08, 8-11
CCL Valor 1-09
CCL Glory 11-09
Old February 11th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Missed ports

Quote:
Originally Posted by showcat
I missed two ports due to hurricane Dean. We lost Belize, Costa Maya but got Key West and Ocho Rios instead. I was bummed I wanted to see Mayan sites. I just rebooked this cruise also during hurricane season so wish me luck everyone I really want to get back to Belize and to see Costa Maya!

Regarding my cruise missing the ports I still got a 7 day vacation. I did enjoy Key West. Jamacia is one of my least favorite ports but I made the best of it.
Showcat - you are bolder than I am. September and October are not on my cruising calendar. I guess I'm just a weenie

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old February 11th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

July of 2003 we missed out on Cozumel and Grand Cayman due to a hurricane. Substitute an extra sea day and Nassau (spent the whole day at Atlantis) and it was still a great cruise.

On the plus side, it gave us a reason to book the same cruise again next year, only this time we got to visit all scheduled ports.
Voyager - 03/09
Freedom - 10/07
Rhapsody - 08/06
Rhapsody - 07/03
Navigator - 03/03
Old February 11th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Passenger

We missed Grand Turk last year, thanks to Hurricane Ike. It was our first cruise, and we had been looking forward to that port, but we knew it could happen (thanks to research and this site) and didn't let it affect our vacation. Spent the day in Nassau instead and still had a great time!!

Past cruises:
Carnival Triumph Sept 2008 - Eastern Caribbean
Old February 11th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Admiral

Well I wanted to cruise in non hurricane season but my friend and I decided more time gives us a chance to save the money up. Budjets are tighter with the economy and sometimes the deals during hurricane season are good. I did cruise in December once and loved it, the whole ship decorated for Christmas. If I miss my ports again I will be really upset, cause there are no Mayan cities in the Eastern Carrib or in Ocho Rios, Key West or Grand Cayman. So everyone keep your fingers crossed for me as this is my second attempt to see these ports!
Old February 11th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Well I wanted to cruise in non hurricane season but my friend and I decided more time gives us a chance to save the money up. Budjets are tighter with the economy and sometimes the deals during hurricane season are good. I did cruise in December once and loved it, the whole ship decorated for Christmas. If I miss my ports again I will be really upset, cause there are no Mayan cities in the Eastern Carrib or in Ocho Rios, Key West or Grand Cayman. So everyone keep your fingers crossed for me as this is my second attempt to see these ports!
Call me crazy but I like Febuary that prices are good and no hurricanes. I have never cruised in June (my birthday month) the prices are to high and there are more kids.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old February 11th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Admiral

Quote:
my first 3 were in the heart of hurricane season and all worked out. 8)

/ticker.png">
Old February 11th, 2009, 10:59 PM
Admiral

We always cruise in Sept. or October and usually in Jan. Most of our cruises have been in the fall . I know we have been lucky but we have missed few ports due to hurricanes --only two that I can recall. In Sept. 95 we were on the Fascination which was almost new at that time and home ported in San Juan--we missed a call at Guadeloupe due to hurricane Luis. We just had an extra day at sea. Once we were on the western itin. and instead of calling at Cozumel, we called at Progresso instead, which worked out very well. We had been to Cozumel many times and never to Progresso which gave us the opportunity to take a tour to Chichen-Itza, which we loved.

Even now here in Ky. as I type this I feel like I'm in a hurricane ! We have had winds all afternoon and tonight 50-60 miles and hour and gusting higher at times. We have been battered by mother nature badly in the last year. In Feb, '08 we had tornadoes in parts of the state that killed 6-7 people and did a lot of damage. Then in Sept. of '08 we had the remnants of hurricane Ike blow through, causing major damages, power outages, etc. and then a couple of weeks ago we had the ice /snow storm that was the worst disaster in our states history. As of yesterday we still had approx. 45,000 people with out power, statewide. Now these winds today and tonight have undone a lot of work that was done in the last week. It's untelling what daylight will reveal. I know I've lost shingles, siding, maybe gutters or maybe some of all the above.
My wife started to take a bath but decided not to--said if she got blown away, she wanted to be dressed--not naked and soapy !

I guess we can be victims of mother nature ashore or afloat !!
Old February 14th, 2009, 03:08 AM
Admiral

Default missing ports

Is it just me or does there seem to be more hurricanes each year?
Old February 14th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Admiral

Default Re: missing ports

Quote:
Is it just me or does there seem to be more hurricanes each year?
Of course 2005 was BAD ! Real bad
Then it seemed we caught a break, until last year which was a pain the ...
huh...neck ! During one period it seemed like one per week.

/ticker.png">
Old February 18th, 2009, 11:28 AM
First Mate

Missing a port of call is always done for a good reason and sometimes we not know the exact reason. The industry does not skip a particular port unless there is a valid reson. You wll have to trust the Captain on this and not the rumors you may hear aboard ship.
Old February 18th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Admiral

Even though I am a new cruiser(going on my first cruise in October), from my understanding from the brochures, the ports are only skipped or changed when there is a valid safety concern, such as a hurricane, rough waters, or possibly even a terrorist action that the ship recieves report of. As much as the cruiselines make off their passengers, they cannot afford for even one passenger to sue the company and win because a ship put passengers in unsafe conditions.
Old February 19th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Passenger

In six cruises we have missed two ports, both due to rough seas. The first was Costa Maya and we missed the Mayan ruins, the second was last year we missed Half Moon Cay which was one of the main reasons we chose that cruise. It really stinks when you have an excursion planned, it is a sunny day and you can see your destination!
We made the most of the cruises anyway and as always had a great time. You can understand the Captains decision as safety is always first, but then you wish that the would build a harbor or breakwater.
Triumph 2006
Elation 2007
Triumph 2008
Elation 2009