Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 11th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to RockChickX51
Default Is May a "slow time" for cruising?

I've read multiple places that September, October, and May are the slowest times for the cruise industry.
May due to the fact that school is still in (usually it's the last weeks of school and no one wants to take their kids out for a vacation, final exams and whatnot) and September-October just for the fact that school just went back in.

The boyfriend and I (ages 26 and 24) and a couple friends (who are both 24) are on the Carnival Liberty leaving May 16. I'm HOPING there's not a ton of kids on board (I have no kids and after a while kids just get nerve racking).

Will anyone agree with me that May is a "slower" time??

Our first and only cruise was in October last year, the boat wasn't full and and I think I saw 10 kids the whole time. Most were toddlers that weren't school age.

Carnival Liberty - May 2009
Carnival Inspiration - October 2008
Sponsored Links
Old February 11th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Admiral

I would agree that early May is slower; but it does pick up the week before Memorial Day.
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old February 11th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Passenger

My wife and I both love to cruise (the Caribbean) in May (our wedding aniversery) and September/October. We find the crowds both on the ship and in port are less and you are less likely to see kids running around. You can sometimes find better "deals" in these months due to repostioning. Being from the NY area it's also nice to get a head start on your tan for the summer.

We have already booked this year's cruise for the week of May 10th on the Caribbean Princess (Princess Cruise Line) for our fifth wedding aniversery.

Last year we sailed on Carnival Liberty (my wife's birthday - June 1st) and was our best cruise yet. The food was excellent and the ship was absolutley beautiful.

Let us know how you make out.
Old February 11th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Admiral

May does seem to be a good time to travel. School isn't quit out and the weather is nice.

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Old February 13th, 2009, 04:03 PM
First Mate

We are going May 25th on a cruise out of Charleston, SC... School is not out so we will how busy it is.
Old February 15th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Admiral

I have never cruised in the month of May but I am considering it this year because of your same thoughts. I have done several in October and they were good as well.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old February 16th, 2009, 10:59 AM
First Mate

Default May slow cruise time

May for us is a great time, take the triumph right out of NORFOLK,VA ten minutes from the house.Nassua is just getting busy, freeport is freeport. but we save money not going south and can spend few extra $
on a suite. We dont necessarily call may a slow time
Bob
Old February 16th, 2009, 11:35 AM
First Mate

Default Re: May slow cruise time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttam
May for us is a great time, take the triumph right out of NORFOLK,VA ten minutes from the house.Nassua is just getting busy, freeport is freeport. but we save money not going south and can spend few extra $
on a suite. We dont necessarily call may a slow time
Bob
We will be on it just before it goes there... try and save you some rum.
Old February 16th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

The one time we cruised in May, there were lots more kids of college/young adult age, then young school age kids.It was also the rowdiest cruise we ever had, but I honestly do think tht mentality is for the most part, a thing of the past.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 17th, 2009, 02:19 PM
First Mate

May used to be a "slow time" for crusing as most kids were in school. That may not be the case today as some schools dismiss earlier for summer vactions and since cost for a May crusie may be lower familes tend to look at those cruise times. That does not mean though that you will find hundreds of kids on board. I assume you are crusing south and not in Alaska. May is one of the best times for an Alaska cruise as all the winter snow is still there and fresh.[/img]
Old February 18th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to RockChickX51

Yeah we're going to the Western Carib.
If I ever went to Alaska I'd drive there or fly to Seattle and drive up there to truly experience it. You really can't do that on a cruise with a day alotted time slot to be there. Cruising past a glacier....eh. I don't think I'd ever take an Alaskan cruise. I like road trips a lot better but to each their own.

Carnival Liberty - May 2009
Carnival Inspiration - October 2008
Old February 18th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

I have cruised in May several times but it was around the 20-25 becuase my kids used to get out of school as early as the 15th. Now they are in until June. Last time we cruised in May, there were quite a lot of High School grads and their families.

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old February 18th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave the Wave
I have cruised in May several times but it was around the 20-25 becuase my kids used to get out of school as early as the 15th. Now they are in until June. Last time we cruised in May, there were quite a lot of High School grads and their families.
the last two weeks of May are the busiest because some private schools get out earlier and college students get out earlier, I try to book May cruised by the 15th because of that reason; I did the last week of May once and I will never ever do that again; I called it the PukeShip; too many drunk "kids" high school kids drunk from Cozumel throwing up and fighting.
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old February 19th, 2009, 02:59 AM
Passenger

You will inevitably encounter younger children on any cruise, given the fact that we have year-round schooling. However, as the previous posters have mentioned, early May should be "safe" for you, if that is the time of year you choose to (or are able to) cruise. We have gone in November (prior to Thanksgiving week) and experienced minimal children on the cruise we were on.

Spring Break....holidays (Christmas, New Years, Thanksgiving, Easter) and of course summer break, those would be the "high risk" times for increased family cruising with children.

Another time of year to be aware of is "hurricane season", which normally runs from June to November (with June and July being relatively tame...and the ensuing months more active weather-wise).

Regardless of when you choose to go....always remember to have FUN!!!
Old February 22nd, 2009, 01:01 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to cruisecouple

Trust me on this, there are children on board but very few and Camp Carnival definitely does their job. I was on Liberty last May (and I've cruised in May since 2006) and saw very few kids. Kids and teens traveling at this time of the year are either there for a family function, maybe they're on a 12-month school schedule, maybe even a private school graduation. May is a wonderful time to cruise because even the young adults that are traveling are there because they've just graduated or they didn't want to be in the midst of a spring break crowd. Most of the 20-somethings this past May appeared to be taking a vacation from work. I think you will have a wonderful time! Just in case you cruise again, me and my husband have had very good luck in October too.

Old February 22nd, 2009, 04:55 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to KACORPARENTS
Default May Cruising

We have been on 2 cruises sofar and both have been in May to the Caribbean. We have found the seas calm, weather wonderful and prices great. May is for us.

http://community.webshots.com/user/K...host=community

Carnival Imagination 5/08
Disney Wonder 5/05