CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Carneval compared to Princess (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/361285-carneval-compared-princess.html)

eastorcruiser February 11th, 2009 02:08 PM

Carneval compared to Princess

We returned from a wonderful 31 day cruise from SF to Sydney on Princess last fall. We have scheduled an 8 day cruise to Mexico with Carneval next spring. How does Carneval compare with Princess?

katlady February 11th, 2009 03:21 PM

Re: Carneval compared to Princess

Quote:

Originally Posted by eastorcruiser
We returned from a wonderful 31 day cruise from SF to Sydney on Princess last fall. We have scheduled an 8 day cruise to Mexico with Carneval next spring. How does Carneval compare with Princess?

I liked Princess food a little better, but I loved all the different fun activites, trivia and deck parties on Carnival. The food on Carnival is good I just loved the Fettucine Alfredo in the cheese bowl that Princess had. I wish I had that recipe.

skymaster February 11th, 2009 05:30 PM

I pretty much agree with Kat, however the food aboard Carnival has improved 100% in the last couple of years, and the beef has gotten much much better, (read tender!) in the last couple of months. It really depends on which ship you travel, but IMO Carnival is nearly on a par with Princess at this point, and is much much less expensive. We just returned from a 7 day aboard Carnival "Triumph", and out of over 100 cruises, it was absolutely among the top 5. GREAT cruise, and budget priced!
You're going to have a wonderful cruise. I have no doubt!

Ken
"SKY"

Donna February 11th, 2009 05:43 PM

I found the service level on Princess to be above and beyond Carnival, along with the food quality on Princess. Although the food on Carnival was very good, no complaints. Both or any cruise for that matter is better than working at home :-) I'm sure you enjoy your next cruise, lots of activities and a different atmosphere.

Pocono Pug February 11th, 2009 06:05 PM

I have also sailed both Princess and Carnival and I would say that Carnival give you a lot more bang for the buck. Don't get me wrong, Princess cruises are very nice but I was more impressed with the way I was treated on a Carnival ship over the way I was on Princess. Either way you will have a great time. Bon voyage.

Trip February 11th, 2009 07:30 PM

If you want a more laid back cruise, Princess is for you. Carnival seems to have more planned "fun", especially around the pool...Of course being an observer, and not a participant can be fun, but Princess will be a bit more quiet.

dnunez February 11th, 2009 08:39 PM

I took the Triumph last May and the food was the best of any Carnival cruise I have taken. I took a cruise on the Crown in October and the ship was beautiful, clean, service was fine and I loved muts, but I have had a more enjoyable experience on Carnival overall. I wouldn't turn down the opportunity to cruise on either.

Thoth February 11th, 2009 09:42 PM

Huh ? Sounds like the differences are relatively minor.
I've sailed on Carnival and Holland America, which are suppose to be radically different. I didn't view it that way.
Food? about the same
shows? about the same. Carnival does offer R-rated comedy, but since I don't attend R rated comedy that doesn't matter.
rooms? about the same
service? both good. HAL is all Indonesian & Filipino, while Carnival staff more diverse.

dnunez February 11th, 2009 09:48 PM

Thoth, I am with you, I too think they are all more the same then different. I am taking my first NCL cruise in April so I will have another one to compare. I really enjoy the experience of trying something new.

fireba11 February 12th, 2009 06:04 AM

I have sailed on the Caribbean Princess and on two Carnival ships (Valor and Holiday)
Carnival had better service, food, entertainment and was more fun. Carnival also does not nickle and dime you like Princess does, for say Ice Cream or juice!

Princess does have it's good points though. We loved the learn at sea program they had where you can learn to scuba dive, process photos on your computer, take dance classes and a number of different things. As you can see in my signature, we are taking another Princess cruise this coming December. If that cruise isn't better then the first we are going to mark them off of our cruise line list.

katlady February 12th, 2009 08:32 AM

I'm glad to hear the good comments about the carnival Triumph as it's one of the cruises I was thinking about for 2010. Does the Triumph feel bigger then a fantasy class ship or are they about the same?

skymaster February 12th, 2009 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katlady
I'm glad to hear the good comments about the carnival Triumph as it's one of the cruises I was thinking about for 2010. Does the Triumph feel bigger then a fantasy class ship or are they about the same?

Hey Kat:

Just off "Triumph", and I have to say, best food of any Carnival ship we've ever sailed! The ship does feel slightly larger, but it may be because of the galley being between the two dining rooms, so you have to go up and over, or down and under to get from here, to there. :roll: Overall, you'll have a GREAT cruise on Triumph. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend her to anyone, and especially my "Mates".

Ken
"SKY"

mrmusic February 28th, 2009 04:47 PM

Carnival or Princess

The Survey says: Carnival Cruise line. If you want to have fun - go Carnival. If you want peace and tranquility - go princess

If you want great food and service - Go Carnival
If you want mediocre service - Go Princess

If you want to live life to the fullest - Go Carnival !
If you want to age rapidly - Go Princess (just a joke!)

You'll like Carnival WAY more than Princess. Hands Down!! :D

Reyguel Nious

Donna February 28th, 2009 05:01 PM

Hi MrMusic,
I happen to have a different look on Princess than you do...service and food was far better than Carnival. I think the entertainment was better on Carnival...Its also a more personal opinion anyway, plus you just can't compare Carnival to Princess, a certain ship to another ship. The different ships in each cruiseline are just a little different when it comes to food and service...Its just not something to generalize off the board. Again, its just my opinion and yours..