Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 11th, 2009, 10:09 PM
First Mate

Default Tell me about the rear balconies

Hello All,

I'm looking to book a cruise on Carnival Freedom and want to know the pros and cons about the back balconies at the rear of the ship. Also, what can you tell me about the back corner rooms with balconies. These rooms are odd shape and what can you tell me about them. I'm not looking for suites, just the standard balconies.

Any info would be helpfull.

John & Christine

Carnival Tropical 2000
Carnival Pride 2002
Carnival Glory 2003
Carnival Miracle 2004
Carnival Victory 2004
Sun Princess 2005
Carnival Legend 2006
Carnival Glory 2008
Carnival Liberty 2008
Carnival Freedom 2009
Carnival Dream 2011
Carnival Conquest 2012
Carnival Liberty - Sept 2013
Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas- Sept 2014

Sponsored Links
Old February 11th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Passenger

how about I tell you on March 2nd? I am going on the Freedom in about 9 days and I have an aft room on the back. VERY EXCITED. I will take pics etc. Cant wait to go and promise to share photos if you would like!
~Tracy
Old February 12th, 2009, 06:06 AM
Cruise Maniac

We are sailing the Feb 22nd on the Triumph and have a rear balcony cabin....we will let you know how we like it!
Carnival Triumph Feb 09
Island Princess coming in Nov. 2009

Old February 12th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Cruise Maniac

We loved our Aft Balcony on the Conquest. Our favorite view is the wake of the ship out the back so it was perfect for us to wake up and enjoy a pot of coffee while taking in the view.

I'll include a couple links to pictures taken while in port. (Cozumel and Jamaica.)
http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/image.php?id=60205
http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/image.php?id=60193

Enjoy your cruise
Carnival Paradise
NCL Dream
Carnival Elation
Carnival Conquest
Golden Princess
Old February 12th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Passenger

I am booked on the Victory going out of San Juan on Mar.1st. We have a a balcony room all the way aft on the port side with a wraparound deck.I will let you know when we get back.I have seen a picture of one of these wraparound decks and it looks very spacious.
Old February 12th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Admiral

Dupes,,,very interested in your review of the wrap around balconys,,,,we are going on Freedom next Feb 2010 and thinking about upgrading to one of them.

"Attitude is determined by latitude"

Geoff Peterson for President.
Old February 12th, 2009, 07:14 PM
First Mate

Nice Pictures Ron & Sue,

The balcony looks bigger than the ones on the side of the ship. Was there a big price difference? How about the privacy, can the upper floors see into you balcony?

I have to pick a room in the next day or two, so this is all good info. I'm trying to take advantage of the early booking price and I see it already went up since Monday. I don't want to wait much longer before i commit. Hopefully more comments are coming to make my choice much easier.

For all that are cruising shortly, please give us your feedback & pictures when you get back. I love all the Kodak moments!!!!!!

Happy sailing!

Carnival Tropical 2000
Carnival Pride 2002
Carnival Glory 2003
Carnival Miracle 2004
Carnival Victory 2004
Sun Princess 2005
Carnival Legend 2006
Carnival Glory 2008
Carnival Liberty 2008
Carnival Freedom 2009
Carnival Dream 2011
Carnival Conquest 2012

Old February 13th, 2009, 11:29 AM
First Mate

Rear and the wrap around 9As are sometimes hard to get Book early if you want one. We had a rear on Destany and a 9A on Splendor we booked 10 months out to get them. On each cruise we had one day of black soot all over the balcony. They did clean it up ok but we had it all over and tracked it in the cabin. 9A balconys are big for only 2 people. We had 4 chairs and two loungers and alot of room left over. We have been hooked on balconys now we will be on 9As.
Old February 13th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Passenger

Yes Dutchman, I was on an aft corner cabin on adventure of the sea last year and I did notice soot and ash flying all over during the night .When you looked into the lights at the back of the ship it looked like it was snowing.No one ever said anything about it. You are the only one , so you proved that I'm not crazy.Contrary to to popular belief
Old February 15th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Beginner

My DH and I had an aft balcony last year on the Spirit to Alaska. We cruised Glacier Bay and with the aft balcony it was an amazing way to see the glaciers up close. There is a little more motion in the back, but it is definitely worth the view. I most certainly would book an aft again. The corner balconies are huge because they are on the side as well as the back of the ship. The cabin itself is configures a little differently. Go on webshots.com and look for a 9A wrap around and you'll see for yourself.
Old February 15th, 2009, 07:40 PM
First Mate

Hey Teaach,

Thanks for the good info and the suggestion to look on Webshots. There are some pretty good shots there, which does help quite a bit. The only problem is I want the back room and my wife wants the side of the ship. She tends to get a little sea sick for the first couple of days of the cruise and I'm not sure how the back rooms will affect her. I just like the idea of having a bigger balcony and have a nice view from behind the ship.

You know who will win this battle, don't you????

Carnival Tropical 2000
Carnival Pride 2002
Carnival Glory 2003
Carnival Miracle 2004
Carnival Victory 2004
Sun Princess 2005
Carnival Legend 2006
Carnival Glory 2008
Carnival Liberty 2008
Carnival Freedom 2009
Carnival Dream 2011
Carnival Conquest 2012

Old February 16th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Familiar Face

I am thinking of booking one of these aft balconies but the comment about soot and ashe from the stack make me wonder. Does anyone else have any comments about these rooms..

Carnival Freedom Jan 2012
RC Liberty OTS Feb 2011
Carnival Valor Feb 2010
RC Navigator OTS Apr 2009
Carnival Splendor Jan 2009
Carnival Valor- Feb 2008
Carnival Ecstacy - Feb 2006
Carnival Imagination - Jan 2005
Carnival Fascination - Feb 2004
Carnival Fascination - Jan 2003
Disney Magic - Nov 2003
Carnival Ecstacy - Feb 2001
Royal Caribbean Sovereign Of the Seas 1999
Royal Caribbean Majesty of the Seas 1997
Old February 16th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Familiar Face

I have had aft cabins on Holland and Princess. I have now booked an aft cabin on the Spirit this fall. I believe those cabins are the best kept secrets in cruising. I have never noticed smoke or soot on previous sailings. You will enjoy a cabin in the back!
Old February 16th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Beginner

Hey Shipmate,
If your wife doesn't use prescription meds for seasickness then tell her to get over the counter Bonine. It's in the pharmacy section of the store. You take one the day before you cruise or fly and one everyday you are on the ship. I, who used to get seasick, have not been seasick for the last 4 cruises. Really does the trick!
Old February 16th, 2009, 07:28 PM
First Mate

Hey Teaach,

She tried bonnine and couldn't keep it down, ginger seam to be the only thing that really worked. Normally we've been booking larger ships with rooms at the center of the boat. There's hardly any rocking there and it's really been the trick the last couple of cruises. Me on the other hand, love it when the ship rocks. I sleep like a baby on rough waters.

We took a cruise on the Sun Princess which was smaller ship and that did her in. She had sea sickness for the first 3-4 days of the ride. And you know it took a lot of convincing to get her on another cruise after that.

Carnival Tropical 2000
Carnival Pride 2002
Carnival Glory 2003
Carnival Miracle 2004
Carnival Victory 2004
Sun Princess 2005
Carnival Legend 2006
Carnival Glory 2008
Carnival Liberty 2008
Carnival Freedom 2009
Carnival Dream 2011
Carnival Conquest 2012

Old February 17th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUPES
I am booked on the Victory going out of San Juan on Mar.1st. We have a a balcony room all the way aft on the port side with a wraparound deck.I will let you know when we get back.I have seen a picture of one of these wraparound decks and it looks very spacious.
Dupes - You are going to love this balcony. We had aft corner wrap (deck 6, one above "Y") on the Destiny when it was doing the Southern Caribbean, starboard side, and it was awesome...had no problem with soot but had a few cig butts once in a while, but no big deal. Doing corner aft on the Victory too.

Here are a couple of pictures

Old March 3rd, 2009, 04:36 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireba11
We are sailing the Feb 22nd on the Triumph and have a rear balcony cabin....we will let you know how we like it!
Just back from our cruise on the Carnival Triumph and our first cruise with a balcony. I must say we are now hooked on Balconies! We had a cabin 8434 at the rear or the ship and it had a really nice sized balcony. We spent much more time in our cabin and on our balcony then we had on the previous cruises where we only had inside rooms. I must confess that this was the MOST relaxing cruise we have had and I contribute it to having a balcony. One thing that I loved was that with those rear balconies there was a community feel to it as we could see all or the other rear balconies and talk to one another. All in all I wont say that we will never have an inside cabin again but we definitely will cruise with more balcony cabins as much as possible.

Happy Sailing
Tim
Carnival Triumph Feb 09

Old March 3rd, 2009, 10:50 PM
First Mate

Hi Tim,

Did you notice a lot of ship movement being in the back? The wife gets sea sickness very easily and I wanted to know if this would be a problem with a back balcony. Did you have a wrap around or one that directly faces the back? Also do you have any pictures of this balcony that you want to share? Love to see them!!!

Glad to see that you enjoyed your cruise. We can't wait until we leave in September.

Carnival Tropical 2000
Carnival Pride 2002
Carnival Glory 2003
Carnival Miracle 2004
Carnival Victory 2004
Sun Princess 2005
Carnival Legend 2006
Carnival Glory 2008
Carnival Liberty 2008
Carnival Freedom 2009
Carnival Dream 2011
Carnival Conquest 2012

Old March 3rd, 2009, 11:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipmate
Hi Tim,

Did you notice a lot of ship movement being in the back? The wife gets sea sickness very easily and I wanted to know if this would be a problem with a back balcony. Did you have a wrap around or one that directly faces the back? Also do you have any pictures of this balcony that you want to share? Love to see them!!!

Glad to see that you enjoyed your cruise. We can't wait until we leave in September.
We were on the Veranda deck 8 in the middle directly facing the back. There is a little more motion there but could be better if located on a lower deck. My wife gets sea-sick too but she only had to take a pill one time during the whole trip. We did experience ash most mornings on our balcony as they burn their trash at night but the room steward did a good job of cleaning it up every day. The wind is not as strong in the back as the side balconies are. I talked to several people on the cruise with balconies on the side and they repeatedly said that it was too windy to sit on their balconies where we had no problem. I will be posting some pictures soon and will let you know as soon as they are up!

You will love the ship! Chow...Tim
Carnival Triumph Feb 09

Old March 6th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Beginner

Default Rear balcony

We returned from a cruise in Jan. on CCL's Miracle. Our room was 5203 a rear balcony. What a nightmare as well as a waste of $$$$. The only view is boat wake and that of other rear balconies, zero privacy. To top that off be prepared while in port to return and find engine soot covering everything.
If you complain loud enough though you'll probably get a $5 bottle of cheap champagne and an apology letter.
Never another rear balcony for us or as far as that goes, we'll stick with RCCL in the future. Cruising with CCL is like shopping at Walley World and we prefer Macy's.
Old March 6th, 2009, 08:28 PM
First Mate

Hi Oeintl,

Thanks for your reply. I was wondering about the privacy of these balconies. I guess, unless you have the top level, everyone can watch what you're doing. They may get an eyeful and that's something I wouldn't be happy about. Can't be too romantic out there unless you want a crowd watching and probably end up on You Tube!!!

The main reason we haven't booked a cruise with the staggered balconies on the side of the ship. No privacy.

Carnival Tropical 2000
Carnival Pride 2002
Carnival Glory 2003
Carnival Miracle 2004
Carnival Victory 2004
Sun Princess 2005
Carnival Legend 2006
Carnival Glory 2008
Carnival Liberty 2008
Carnival Freedom 2009
Carnival Dream 2011
Carnival Conquest 2012

Old March 7th, 2009, 03:26 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Hi Oeintl,

Thanks for your reply. I was wondering about the privacy of these balconies. I guess, unless you have the top level, everyone can watch what you're doing. They may get an eyeful and that's something I wouldn't be happy about. Can't be too romantic out there unless you want a crowd watching and probably end up on You Tube!!!

The main reason we haven't booked a cruise with the staggered balconies on the side of the ship. No privacy.
There is no privacy with these rear balconies. However we enjoyed the community feel of it. We made friends with our neighbors to our left and partied together a couple of evenings and had some good football discussions with others several decks below us. No one can look in on you unless they purposely look around the dividers or you are standing at the rail. We enjoyed it so much we changed from an inside cabin on our December sailing to a rear balcony. We did not experience any soot while in dock, only noticed it in the mornings when we got up.
Carnival Triumph Feb 09

Old March 8th, 2009, 04:02 AM
First Mate

We had 7434 on the Freedom, which is one of the L-shaped cabins directly in front of the aft wrap around corner cabin.

Nothing like paying a regular balcony price to get a double length balcony.

The only drawback I had seen before our cruise was people complaining about there not being a sofa in these cabins, due to the sideways layout.

We found this absurd, as we spent any sitting time, out on the balcony in any of the 4 chairs we had out there. (with room for 2 or 3 more)

I do know that the deck below ours had 2 of the double wide rooms on each side, instead of one, and those had the bonus of 2 picture windows, instead of the just one, that our cabin had.

If price is a heavy consideration for you, I highly recommend these cabins.

Bill
Sept. 18, 2010 -
Sept. 19, 2009 -
Inspiration - Jan. 10, 2010- Grand Cayman, Cozumel
Freedom - February 8th, 2009 - Key West, Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios Jamaica
Glory - September 8th, 2007 - Key West, Cozumel, Progresso, Nassau
Sensation - Freepor-Nassau
Jan. 28th, 2007 -
Sept. 10th, 2006 -
Old March 8th, 2009, 10:54 PM
First Mate

Hi Bguppies,

You've caught my interest on this L shaped cabin. Do you have any pictures of this room and balcony? Is the room the room bigger as well? Also, tell me what you think of the Freedom because we're taking a cruise on this ship in September.

Carnival Tropical 2000
Carnival Pride 2002
Carnival Glory 2003
Carnival Miracle 2004
Carnival Victory 2004
Sun Princess 2005
Carnival Legend 2006
Carnival Glory 2008
Carnival Liberty 2008
Carnival Freedom 2009
Carnival Dream 2011
Carnival Conquest 2012

Old March 8th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Passenger

Default got back from Freedom a week ago

Just got back from The Freedom last Saturday and LOVED IT! I had room 6487 and it was awesome! I would not stay in any other area ever. This room and deck was great. I felt like we had privacy. Its not like we stuck our head over to the other peoples decks. There was not any ash that I could see. It was really great. The Freedom was a good ship with great hospitality.
Old March 8th, 2009, 11:45 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Hi Bguppies,

You've caught my interest on this L shaped cabin. Do you have any pictures of this room and balcony? Is the room the room bigger as well? Also, tell me what you think of the Freedom because we're taking a cruise on this ship in September.
Sorry no pictures uploaded.
The balcony is simply put, exactly double length.

The cabin was the same size as previous cabins we have stayed in, with the exception of about 6 feet of completely empty space as you first enter the cabin.
Then the closets begin right after that.
It was nice being able to dump the luggage in that space and not trying to cram under the bed.

Bill
Sept. 18, 2010 -
Sept. 19, 2009 -
Inspiration - Jan. 10, 2010- Grand Cayman, Cozumel
Freedom - February 8th, 2009 - Key West, Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios Jamaica
Glory - September 8th, 2007 - Key West, Cozumel, Progresso, Nassau
Sensation - Freepor-Nassau
Jan. 28th, 2007 -
Sept. 10th, 2006 -
Old March 12th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Passenger

Hi Everyone, Just got back from from the & day southern caribbean on victory with a wrap-around deck. Let me tell you, if there are only tw0 of you ,you can get lost on the balcony.Approx. 20-25 ft. across the back and another 12-15 ft. on the side.I also did not experienc any soot or ashes,however, we did have a few cigarette buts from the inconsiderate smokers that would throw their butts off the balcony from somewhere.Very busy itinerary.If you love to go on excursions every day then this is for you.If you want peace and quiet,this is also for you.For me a cruise is doing what you want to do.You can be as busy or as laid back as you want.No problems with staff.Everyone was terrific and met all our needs.I can't wait to book my next cruise.