Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 12th, 2009, 12:17 AM
Beginner

Default Marida/Progreso vs. Calica

We are thinking about cruising on the Fantasy once it locates to Mobile. One cruise docks at Marida/Progreso and one at Calica. For those who have been to both, which is preferred? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old February 12th, 2009, 12:31 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ainsley

I'm going to go with Calica. Ive been to Playa del Carmen and I think thats close to there?? As far as Progreso I'm not big on wanting to go back.. Once the Fantasy moves to Mobile its going to have six 7 day cruises going to Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. There is 2 in May, 2 in July, and 2 in October of 2010. Thats the one we are looking at for the moment. But goodluck in your cruise findings! =)
Carnival Conquest-02.22.04
Carnival Conquest-02.06.05
Carnival Legend-3.25.06
Royal Caribbean Sovereign OTS-4.16.07
Carnival Fantasy 4.28.08
Carnival Fantasy 10.27.08
Norwegian Pearl 3.13.11
Carnival Elation 11.14.11

Future Cruises
Carnival Ecstasy 5.21.12
Old February 12th, 2009, 10:25 AM
First Mate

I would much prefer Calica. The port itself is not good, but you are very close to Playa Del Carmen and some great excursions. Yes you will have to take a cab to get to any water, but the water is wonderful compared to Progresso.
Old February 12th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Passenger

We actually enjoyed Progreso when we cruised on the Fantasy last year. We booked an excusion at the dock with autoprogreso (a legit tour company) We took a combination mayan ruins and merida city tour. The guide was fantastic. The sites were interesting and the guide was very passionate about his culture. The city tour was great too. We also ate in the town near the square. I could go on for days about how much we enjoyed the experience at half the price of carnivals excursion. Now as for as going to the beaches or any water activities, I would wait and do those things in Calica. We have contacted autoprogreso.com about more tours they offer around Progreso for our next cruise there. This will make our 7th cruise, having been to Progreso twice. Research the area before you condemn it. Its more fasinating than most think. Hope this helps.
Fantasy Jan 7, 2010
Triumph Feb 20, 2010
Glory 2008
Fantasy 2008
Holiday 2006
Ecstacy 2006
Sensation 2005
Conquest 2004
Old February 12th, 2009, 12:04 PM
First Mate

I hope my post regarding my personal choice is not thought of as a condemnation of Progresso. As the previous poster has pointed out, if you are not looking for a great beach, Progresso has some good excursions. I have to say that Merida is a wonderful city with many attractions. I also agree that going through the ships excursion desk is far too expensive and it sounds like they found a good operator.
Don't be bummed out if Progresso is where you end up going. Each port has a few jewels if you look for them.