Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 19th, 2009, 12:40 AM
Familiar Face

Default San Diego boarding with all your luggage

Hi there....

I was told that in San Diego, you can board the ship with all your luggage.... is this true? Or do you just bring along your carry-on?
Anyone have any experience with this?

We are staying at the Holiday Inn across the street the night before, so I know we can just walk over to the pier, etc, but I didn't think we can bring our own luggage onboard ourselves.....

Any insight on this issue????
Thanks....

Maria
Sponsored Links
Old February 19th, 2009, 12:56 AM
Cruise Maniac

I am going to say Not True. From what I saw when I got to the pier, you dont have much of a choice, but to give up your bags and let them take them for you unless of course you pack light and the only bags you take are carry on's. One of my table mates did this. She only had a small rolling carry on and a back pack so she was able to take her stuff right on board with her. From what I understand the bags must fit though the regular airport scanning machine and most larger bags dont do this. I know mine would not have. I would call Carnival and see what they have to say.

Old February 19th, 2009, 02:23 AM
Familiar Face

Default thanks

Hi

I think you are right.... besides I don't really feel like lugging around a suitcase and a carry-on until the cabins are ready..... then I won't be able to have lunch on the lido deck or have a drink..... or two.....

I will check them through.... don't know where I heard that, but it sounded rather odd.....

Happy cruising....
Old February 19th, 2009, 06:17 AM
First Mate

Not San Diego... but in Jan. out of Jacksonville there were signs stating that only a certain size was allowed. Having said that we were in the VIP line and the older man in front of us had a full size roller suitcase - I think you could have gotten a body in it - that he carried on. It caused a backup because even though they had come thru and said have your documents out to get onboard he waited til he got at the checkpoint to rummage thru his huge suitcase. We walked past him, but others were not so lucky as he just unzipped the bag in the middle of the everything.
I would urge that even if it is allowed you don't do it. We say many onboard waiting for the rooms to open with a pile of suitcases around them.
Old February 20th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Familiar Face

Default i agree

Yup,

You are right, I agree.... I will just bring our carry-ons with us, that should be enough to be cumbersome without the large suitcases....

Thanks for affirming that for me.... I feel better knowing I won't have to lug around my suitcases....

Old February 20th, 2009, 02:08 AM
Cruise Maniac

I took a small rolling carry on and a sholder bag. I put my clothes in my rolling one for that evening in case my big bags did not show up in time. I also put my make up, extra undies, med's, camera, ect in there to. My sholder bag held my paperwork and my purse. I was able to take both on the lido deck and have lunch with no problem.

Old February 20th, 2009, 07:36 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbowman
I took a small rolling carry on and a sholder bag. I put my clothes in my rolling one for that evening in case my big bags did not show up in time. I also put my make up, extra undies, med's, camera, ect in there to. My sholder bag held my paperwork and my purse. I was able to take both on the lido deck and have lunch with no problem.
ALWAYS take your meds/undies/bathing suit/docs in a carry on...
Old February 20th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsfamily
Quote:
I totally Agee!!! One time my husbands large luggage did not show up until the next day, so he had extra things in his carry on!!! And he had a luggage tag on it. My large piece show up among lost luggage at the Pursers desk with the tag NOT ON IT that I had put on it. So I agree, take important things you will need right away in your carry on.
Old February 20th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsfamily
Quote:
I totally Agee!!! One time my husbands large luggage did not show up until the next day, so he had extra things in his carry on!!! And he had a luggage tag on it. My large piece show up among lost luggage at the Pursers desk with the tag NOT ON IT that I had put on it. So I agree, take important things you will need right away in your carry on.
Old February 20th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Admiral

I came back from a cruise out of San Diego and you can carry on your luggage on the ship. As long as it fits through the x-ray. I saw some people bringing in bags that were pretty large that wouldn't fit through the x-ray and they never came back out to leave them with the porters. So I don't know what they did with them.

I didn't carry-on my luggage, so I can't tell you my experience.

Past Cruises:
Carnival Ecstasy (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2003
Carnival Pride (7 Day Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Spirit (8 Day Exotic Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Freedom (7 Day Western Caribbean) 2008
Carnival Elation (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2009
Carnival Spirit (7 Day Southbound Alaska) 2009
Old February 20th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Passenger

I've been through San Diego twice. The first time, we checked our luggage through the porters and the second time I went w/ some girlfriends who wanted to carry their luggage on board w/ them. We didn't have any issues from a process standpoint - no one said we couldn't....but it was a pain in the butt. First you go through security and then you have to stand in line to check in...then pictures and then up to the ship. I wouldn't recommend it. I'd just take a small carry-on with what you think you need for the day.
Old February 20th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Familiar Face

Default thank you

thank you all for your insight on this.

sounds like its best if we let the porters handle the bags, they may become rather cumbersome.

thanks again, really appreciate your comments and your help