Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 19th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Beginner

Default First time to cruise going to Cozumel

Need advice on what to do in Cozumel, will be there first week of May.
Sponsored Links
Old February 19th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

Depends on what you are looking for. Heather and I took a cab to Mr. Sachos Beach Club, $10. They have a wonderful beach and great food. Wonderful spot to just relax for the day. They also have a great Tequilla Tasting that I highly recomend, $30pp. But be careful, read the "Tequilla in Cozumel" thread to get prepared!!

Randy and Heather

Destiny '11-booked!
The Royal Cancun '10(A.I.)
Dream '10
Sun Palace Nov. '09 (A.I.)
Glory '08
Sun Palace '07(A.I.)
Enchanment of the Seas '06
Aventura Spa Palace'04 (A.I.)
Couples Negril '04 (Honeymoon, A.I.)
Big Red Boat '93
Old February 19th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Beware the tequila!! A lot of Tequila related problems there lately!Stay away from the jewelry stores!

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old February 19th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Pocono Pug

You can check out the Playa Mia beach break nice beach free booze

Monarch of the Seas 3-92
Celebrity Century 7-96
Dawn Princess 2-97
Enchantment of the Seas 11-98
Rhapsody of the Seas 8-99
CCL Inspiration 8-08, 8-11
CCL Valor 1-09
CCL Glory 11-09
Old February 19th, 2009, 01:36 PM
First Mate

I like the Fury excursion. It's snorkling with a time set aside so you can hang out at a private little beach. Fun.
Jewelry stores are fine. You can get some awesome deals on silver if you know your prices.
Have a great time!
Old February 19th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Susie, I meant to stay out of the Jewelery stores that offer Tequila! 8)

I have also done the Fury a few times. I highly recommend it!!

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old February 19th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to RockChickX51

I to went to Mr. Sanchos beach. It was so fun. They have a little flea market, a bar, a small freshwater pool, jet ski rentals, and the PRETTIEST water.
As soon as you get off the boat, follow the signs through the pedestrian mall to the cabs and there will be a ton of people there waiting to take you wherever. Our ride to Mr. Sanchos was right at $10 and there at taxi's at Mr. Sanchos readily available to take you to whereever.
Once you leave there, take a cab back to San Miguel and go to Senor Frogs and Carlos and Charlies. It's right by the pier so you can drink and walk back to the boat. Senor Frogs has a tequila conga line and they give you free shots. It was a lot of fun.

If you're not into the whole drinking scene then the pedestrian mall (not the 2 story one that's right when you get off the boat) has a lot of JUNK (and I literally mean junk) for sale. There's tequila STORE there and LOTS OF JEWELRY STORES. Lots of silver.

Also the worlds SMALLEST Hard Rock Cafe is in Cozumel right down from the pier. I live near Orlando where the worlds LARGEST Hard Rock is, so going to the smallest was kind of fun.

Carnival Liberty - May 2009
Carnival Inspiration - October 2008
Old February 21st, 2009, 10:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave the Wave
Beware the tequila!! A lot of Tequila related problems there lately!Stay away from the jewelry stores!
OMG. What is wrong with the Tequila in the jewelry store. That is where my husband got all of his free tequila.
Ecstasy - 2013
Old February 21st, 2009, 11:44 PM
Admiral

Quote:

/ticker.png">
Old February 22nd, 2009, 07:49 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkoBabe
Quote:
OMG. What is wrong with the Tequila in the jewelry store. That is where my husband got all of his free tequila.
It could get you banned for life from Carnival.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old February 22nd, 2009, 02:11 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
There was nothing wrong with the Tequila.....however the irresponsible person consuming it is now banned from Carnival for behavior unbecoming a civilized human being.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old February 23rd, 2009, 02:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

check out passion island. Drinks and food included. Beautiful beach, very relaxing.
Old March 1st, 2009, 08:37 PM
Familiar Face

I couldn't agree more. Isla de Pasion is Spectacular! It is a gorgeous beach and not crowded at all. I love that it is away from the "hordes" in Cozumel.

Past Cruises:
CARNIVAL DREAM, 12-23-10
CARNIVAL GLORY, 07-04-09
CARNIVAL ECSTASY, 03-21-09
CARNIVAL CONQUEST, 12-21-08
CARNIVAL CONQUEST, 12-23-07
Old March 2nd, 2009, 03:03 AM
First Mate

In 2003 we rented a VW convertible and did the whole island trip. Very interesting. We stopped at Nachi Cocom... I think that is right and paid one fee for food/drinks/beach/pool. It was far enough from the port/pier that is was quiet and very nice.
IF you do rent, make sure to take ALL insurance provided as most credit card or US car insurance does not count with the locals and unless you have it you might find yourself in big trouble if something was to occur. Just a warning.
Old March 5th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Admiral

We have been going to Cozumel for YEARS (sometimes as many as 5 times a year)....

We used to go to Playa Mia (when it was Playa Sol) ...then we went to Mr. Sanchos until Paradise Beach opened....now we go to Paradise Beach because they offer the most water and land toys.

Paradise Beach is a free beach resort. They do not charge any entrance fee (like Playa Mia) and they do not charge for their lounge chairs, tables and umbrellas and CLEAN restrooms and changing rooms....the Internet at the bar is even free. All they ask is that you eat/drink while you are there.

They also offer an OPTIONAL wristband for $10.00 that includes the largest number of non-motorized water and land toys in Cozumel. You can even climb a coconut tree....which this 54 year old lady did last month AND rang the bell!!! woo hoo!!!

All the beach resorts will run you $12-15 one way for up to 4 people.
And all the beach resorts have the same sand and water....although Mr. Sanchos did lose a lot of the sand that was covering the rock at the water line when Hurricane Wilma came through. Water shoes at all the Beach Resorts is recommended. Because the WEST side faces the mainland...there is not enough wave action to make the sand really soft.

If you go to Paradise Beach, tell Tom that DJ said HI!!

Anyway, we did something new for the first time last month.

We hired a private driver and went over to the East side. For those who do not know...the East side has no electricity. Since it faces open waters with dangerous currents (unlike the WEST side that is safe) there is no major development over there.

So it is primitive and beautiful. There are about 6 - 8 bars over there..so we just bar hopped for 3 hours and had a blast.

It was $95.00 for 3 hours and $25.00 for any additional hours for up to 4 people (sometimes you can get a van that holds 8 if you give them enough notice). Gerry will even bring an ice chest if you want to stop at a grocery for ice, soda and beer.

He speaks English very well. He used to be the Maitre D at the Park Royal.

You can make your reservation through cozumeltaxi@hotmail.com. You do not have to give them a Credit Card....you just make the reservation and Gerry picks you up at the Pier.

This way you can leave the "driving" to someone else and enjoy the :liquid charm: of Cozumel and the natural beauty!!!

As far as Ship excursions...."the thing" to do in Cozumel is swimming with the dolphins. And I would book that through the ship to make sure you get a spot.

Also IF you want to do the ruins at Tulum...ONLY do that through a ship excursion because it takes all day and requires you to leave the island.
If the tour is late getting back....the ship will wait for a SHIP TOUR...they will not wait for an independent.

The only thing I would not recommend folks to do in Cozumel is the zipline. This attraction was started in ports with mountains and heavy tropical forests....and Cozumel has neither. You basically glide from one man made stand to another over flat land that is not very tall.

Hubby and oldest son did it in Puerto Vallarta and it was excellent.

Just know that Cozumel is safe and very tourist friendly...so above all...go and have a good time.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old March 8th, 2009, 04:21 AM
First Mate

I would highly rtecommend Nachi Cocum also.....
http://cozumelcruiseexcursions.com/C...reak.htm<br />
For the $49 you get the use of their large pool with swim up bar and hot tub attached to the corner of the pool.

Hundreds of yards of beautiful sandy beaches with palapas with two loungers under each.

You will have a waiter, who will be bringing you you drink of choice constantly, all day. (my Wife had fruity drinks and I had beers all day)

You will also get a choice of lunch from the restaurant either brought to you poolside or beachside or you can have it in the restaurant.

The day we booked last September, it was DW and I and a group of 4 from another ship, who had the entire place to ourselves that day.

WE just caught a cab there and let them know when we wanted to leave to head back to the ship and they had a cab waiting to return us to the pier, before we finished packing up our things.

We can't wait to return there again in January.

Bill
Sept. 18, 2010 -
Sept. 19, 2009 -
Inspiration - Jan. 10, 2010- Grand Cayman, Cozumel
Freedom - February 8th, 2009 - Key West, Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios Jamaica
Glory - September 8th, 2007 - Key West, Cozumel, Progresso, Nassau
Sensation - Freepor-Nassau
Jan. 28th, 2007 -
Sept. 10th, 2006 -
Old March 9th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Admiral

Sanchos, Playa Mia, and Paradise are all super. Now if you have a lot of time in port I would recommend considering Xcaret reached by ferry to Playa del Carmen. It is an ecological water park with river tubing, a wonderful ocean beach, an equestrian review and a great restaurant.
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old March 9th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Passenger

take the island tour we liked it but if snorking is your thing you might concider that or shopping . the island tour was nice to see the first time we were there we just did the beach and shopping was a little to boring. just go explore and see the island i do have pictures if interested
Old March 15th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhp

Anyway, we did something new for the first time last month.

We hired a private driver and went over to the East side. For those who do not know...the East side has no electricity. Since it faces open waters with dangerous currents (unlike the WEST side that is safe) there is no major development over there.

So it is primitive and beautiful. There are about 6 - 8 bars over there..so we just bar hopped for 3 hours and had a blast.

It was $95.00 for 3 hours and $25.00 for any additional hours for up to 4 people (sometimes you can get a van that holds 8 if you give them enough notice). Gerry will even bring an ice chest if you want to stop at a grocery for ice, soda and beer.

He speaks English very well. He used to be the Maitre D at the Park Royal.

You can make your reservation through cozumeltaxi@hotmail.com. You do not have to give them a Credit Card....you just make the reservation and Gerry picks you up at the Pier.

This way you can leave the "driving" to someone else and enjoy the :liquid charm: of Cozumel and the natural beauty!!!
We're hiring Gerry when we go in June. I'm not sure I want to bar hop, but I definitely want to sit near the water and have an adult beverage...maybe under one of those thatched-roofed things. Any recommendation on which bar to go to on the "wild side"?

I am not really where I want to go. I do know I want to get some Mexican pottery at a good price. I got a name of a place from a Cozumel website. Any other ideas of where to have Gerry take us. We're not interested in spending a lot of time at the beach.
Old March 15th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhp
Quote:
Quote:
There was nothing wrong with the Tequila.....however the irresponsible person consuming it is now banned from Carnival for behavior unbecoming a civilized human being.
This sounds like an interesting story. Where could I go to read about it?
Old March 15th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Admiral

Quote:

Hey Dave what shaking?

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old March 15th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Admiral

I'm going in December and I want to go snorkling where's the best place to go??

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014