Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 19th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Beginner

Default First Cruise with Carnival on Ecstasy

What shore excursions to do in Cozumel ? Do I book thru Carnival or what until I get to Coxumel?? Help!
Sponsored Links
Old February 19th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

If you are going to do a Shore Excursion, then I would book with Carnival. That way you have a guarnetee if something goes wrong. For instance, the Estascy was 2 hours late into Cozumel when we went a week or so ago, those who had booked SE w/ Carnival were taken care of and the tour waited or it had to be cancled they were refunded. Also, if you are on a tour booked w/ Carnival and they are late to get you back to the ship then Carnival will wait for you.

I did not do any SE's when I was there but after a LOT of research I would only book w/ Carnival and pay that extra instead of relying on a tour group that does not have alliances with Carnival.

Old February 19th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Admiral

The other option is to NOT book an excursion. This is a very easy port to get around. If you are looking for a beach, there are many good ones to choose from, and taxis are plentiful and inexpensive.

For information about Cozumel, check out the website cozumelinsider . com There is a list of all the beaches and amenities, a map of the island, etc. For beaches, I have been to Mr. Sanchos a couple of times, Paradise, Playa Mia, Isla Passion. I can recommend any of them!

Whatever you choose, I know you will enjoy your cruise and your time in Cozumel!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old February 20th, 2009, 02:11 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2gonow
The other option is to NOT book an excursion. This is a very easy port to get around. If you are looking for a beach, there are many good ones to choose from, and taxis are plentiful and inexpensive.

For information about Cozumel, check out the website cozumelinsider . com There is a list of all the beaches and amenities, a map of the island, etc. For beaches, I have been to Mr. Sanchos a couple of times, Paradise, Playa Mia, Isla Passion. I can recommend any of them!

Whatever you choose, I know you will enjoy your cruise and your time in Cozumel!
That was my decision. I dont swim very well ( I sink) so most SE's would not be fun for me. I am a shopper so that is what I really wanted to do. I just did not have a good time there though. I really did not like it that much. I liked Progresso so much more. But that's just me. My bestfriend went and she raved over it for weeks. So I guess its all in what you do or dont do.

Old February 20th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Yeoman

For a first timer I would recommend booking thru Carnival. As you become a more seasoned cruiser you will get accustomed to doing things on your own more.

Also by booking thru their website you can pre-pay for your excursions.

The last time I was there we did the dunebuggies to Punta Sur. It was a blast. Of course we ended up at Carlos and Charlies along with half of the ships passengers. Great tourist bar!
Carnival Legend
HAL Eurodam
Caribbean Princess

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/s...avelin&match=1
http://www.igougo.com/profile/profil...emberID=574103
http://picasaweb.google.com/beentravelin
Old February 21st, 2009, 09:21 AM
Passenger

I agree withy ready2gonow. When you book shore trip with cruise line, you overpay and you'll waste time waiting for bus to fill up. It make sense to do it for example, in Europe, South America, Ausralia but not in Cozumel. People are friendly, everything is close to pier and taxis are pleniful.
Old February 21st, 2009, 11:57 AM
Beginner

I just got back from my first cruise on the Fantasy about a week or so ago and we didn't go through Carnival. We didn't book anything ahead but we did plan on going through carnival. We decided to just do something in Cozumel and just hang out in Progresso but when we were in Progresso we were wishing we would have picked an excursion so for 10$ a person we took a tour of the mayan ruins and it was wonderful. Then in cozumel we rented a buggy for 45$ for the whole day, went to one of the beaches and had lunch and swam, went horseback riding for a half hour for 20$ and then drove back to the market area to shop.

Doing it by ourselves was waaay cheaper and it was nice just to be able to do our own thing and not worry about staying with carnival. The buggy was especially nice, being able to explore cozumel on our own was one of the funnest things ever. At first I was worried about being first time cruisers and going off on our own but my boyfriend and his uncle took care of everything and when I go with my family in June I plan to do it the same way.
Old February 21st, 2009, 12:21 PM
Admiral

I suggest going through Carnival so you can get a refund if needed.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old February 21st, 2009, 01:41 PM
Yeoman

I have seen some people doing things on their own and not make it back in time (once in Cozumel due to flooding). They were left behind and had to catch a flight to the next port. They also had the added cost and hassle of finding a room for the night in Cozumel. They didn't make it back to the ship until we were about to leave the next port so they missed out on that too. I realize this is the extreme case but it does happen. Just something to consider.
Carnival Legend
HAL Eurodam
Caribbean Princess

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/s...avelin&match=1
http://www.igougo.com/profile/profil...emberID=574103
http://picasaweb.google.com/beentravelin