Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 22nd, 2009, 10:41 AM
Passenger

Default teen cruiser

Hello...Our Daughter is 15 and is not looking forward to cruising. Last cruise she was 12 and made friends easily. Is anyone cruising on either the Valor 3/28 or Liberty 3/29 with any teens ?
Sponsored Links
Old February 22nd, 2009, 11:44 AM
Admiral

Default Re: teen cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsterrito
Hello...Our Daughter is 15 and is not looking forward to cruising. Last cruise she was 12 and made friends easily. Is anyone cruising on either the Valor 3/28 or Liberty 3/29 with any teens ?
Can you bring her best friend along? My son was 14 when we did our first cruise in 2007 and he didn't want to participate in any teen club activities. When we were not on an excursion, he either wanted to hang out in the video arcade or our cabin watching movies. This why I'm doing a solo cruise in 2010.

If only I had thought to take a close friend of his along. That way, he has a friend to do things with, and the friend's parents would have only had to pay the kid's airfare + the "3rd person in the cabin" fee.

You don't have to worry about your teen being alone when she is not with you, she'll be with a friend both you and she trusts. Also, if she doesn't like the teen club activities, she can do other things with her friend.
Old February 22nd, 2009, 11:47 AM
Yeoman

Why is she not looking forward
to it? Did she not have fun on her last cruise? Check out the teen boards, sometimes kids will still do roll calls there instead of using the MOB's.
Carnival Legend
HAL Eurodam
Caribbean Princess

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/s...avelin&match=1
http://www.igougo.com/profile/profil...emberID=574103
http://picasaweb.google.com/beentravelin
Old February 22nd, 2009, 11:59 AM
Passenger

We have thought about taking a close friend, even offered to pay for the cruise as long as they pay for her airfare. Unfortunately with the economy her Parent's are unable to do it. Our last cruise we had 5 ppl to our cabin. The one we are looking at is only a quad, therefore we would need two cabins and then price would go way up.
She had a great time on the last cruise, but she was younger and met a few girls her same age. It was great, they all kept in touch even after the cruise. I just told her about the teen msg board on here. Hopefully she will check it out, I don't want to push it on her.

Also, she has been invited to go on vacation with my Sister and her family. My niece is 9 months younger and they are best friends. I know she would have much more fun, but can't seem to justify her not going on our family trip.. I'm torn!!! ha.ha...
Old February 22nd, 2009, 12:59 PM
Yeoman

I say let her go with your Sister. I'll take her place! JK

Can your Sister afford to let you take her Daughter?

I would say that if she had no trouble making friends on the first cruise she would probably have the same success on this one. If she still seems resentful, let her go with your Sister. Just try to put yourself in her shoes. You wouldn't want to force her to go and have her be miserable the whole vacation when you know she would've had a great time with her Aunt. Good Luck. The teen years are tough. Thank goodness mine are both over 18 now.
Carnival Legend
HAL Eurodam
Caribbean Princess

Old February 22nd, 2009, 03:09 PM
Admiral

Both ships have excellent Club O2 areas. The number of teens onboard of course will depend on the school schedules, but with March being Spring Break month...there should be a good number. Club O2 is not like "Camp Carnival". They have their own room where they can just hang out.

The Valor March 29th Roll Call on Cruise Critic has a large chat going. I would suggest that you check over there and see if there are any teens that your daughter can chat with before they get onboard.

The Liberty March 28th Roll Call is very small.

I would try the Valor (especially because John Heald will be the CD) and touch base with the Roll Call.

Have a great cruise.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old February 22nd, 2009, 06:59 PM
Passenger

Thanks for your help guys

I am leaning towards Kiley (our Daughter) going with my Sister. They will be going to OBX, which she loves anyway. I made my Sister promise to go with us next year!!! We will be booking on Thursday. Let's see how many times I change my mind before then..ha.ha..

BTW...how the heck do these avatars work? I keep trying to put a profile picture up but it's too large. Good lord, I have cropped it so much I don't even look human anymore! lol
Old February 22nd, 2009, 07:05 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
BTW...how the heck do these avatars work? I keep trying to put a profile picture up but it's too large. Good lord, I have cropped it so much I don't even look human anymore! lol
Yeah, after you crop your picture to include only what you want, you will then have to resize it.
Carnival Legend
HAL Eurodam
Caribbean Princess

Old February 23rd, 2009, 12:21 AM
Passenger

My son and I have cruised together for the past 3 years and we just booked a cruise for this summer. He was 13 the first year and now he will be 16. Each time he thought he wouldn't meet anyone his age and he was worried about being bored. It has never happened! He always meets other teens his age and they end up hanging out the whole cruise. I am sure that your daughter will find other friends her age. The O2 Clubs are such a great way to meet other kids who also have the same fear of not finding friends. I think you will be fine!

Enjoy your cruise!!
Fascination - 7/2006

Old February 23rd, 2009, 02:24 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ainsley

Ive been on 8 cruises and hopefully my 9th will be this Nov! But as a teen I loved O2! The directors and the teens are so much fun. I talked my parents into taking 2 cruises last year for my grad present just so I could sail once more before I turned 18. I came back just 8 days before my birthday and I completely loved the cruise. It was my favorite one to date. I hope you daughter looks on the positive side to going... It kinda sucks now that I'm 18 I wish I could turn that clock back 3 years and start all over again, but I cant =( Anyways have a wonderful cruise and I hope your daughter has a wonderful vacation as well.
Carnival Conquest-02.22.04
Carnival Conquest-02.06.05
Carnival Legend-3.25.06
Royal Caribbean Sovereign OTS-4.16.07
Carnival Fantasy 4.28.08
Carnival Fantasy 10.27.08
Norwegian Pearl 3.13.11
Carnival Elation 11.14.11

Future Cruises
Carnival Ecstasy 5.21.12
Old February 23rd, 2009, 06:34 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Thanks for your help guys :)

I am leaning towards Kiley (our Daughter) going with my Sister. They will be going to OBX, which she loves anyway. I made my Sister promise to go with us next year!!! We will be booking on Thursday. Let's see how many times I change my mind before then..ha.ha..

Our children have loved cruising but now that they are older (16/20) they are not as ready to just go with Mom and Dad.... having said that I would suggest that you have a LONG talk with your daughter. Just make sure that she understands this is supposed to be a family vacation and that without here it won't be. It will just be a vacation. She may still opt to go with her aunt and maybe she should (you sure don't want a pouting teen on a cruise) but just make her understand what she is missing.

Club O2 seems to really try at making the whole experience fun. Last cruise one did the O2 and the other was to old. If they go to the first night it really helps.