Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 26th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to RockChickX51

Yeah the first cruise I went on (and only) they had one formal night. We didn't get dressed up for it. We went and ate in the buffet. I don't like dressing up. But I can see where it would be aggravating, having this nice fancy dinner and people come in looking like they just rolled out of bed.

This next cruise we're going on I think we might actually dress somewhat up for it. I think I'll just wear what I wear to work, business casual clothing. I see no need in bringing a prom like dress on board to eat dinner in. I think a 3/4 sleeved shirt and a pair of black pants will suit me fine. The BF can wear his black pants and a collared shirt.

Carnival Liberty - May 2009
Carnival Inspiration - October 2008
Old February 26th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Admiral

For my part, on formal nights I will dress to the nines, but then, between my ballroom dancing and work related events like galas, play/opera/ballet openings, and award events, my closet will benefit from some men's formalwear in my closet, so it is a justifiable expense, even though the IRS may not allow me to deduct it.
Old February 26th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Yeoman

Do any of you think Carnival should be more strict about who gets in and who doesn't?

I too have seen some folks get in that they probably should have turned away. I have also seen some people denied entrance. It seems to be inconsistent.

If you didn't realize this pre-cruise then there is always a buffet to hit, and a pretty good one at that.

On formal nights I dress to the nines and at regular seating I still wear a nice long sleeve shirt and dress slacks.

I've been known to come to breakfast in a shirt and tie. Dressing up just makes me feel better about myself!
Carnival Legend
HAL Eurodam
Caribbean Princess

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/s...avelin&match=1
http://www.igougo.com/profile/profil...emberID=574103
http://picasaweb.google.com/beentravelin
Old February 26th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Admiral

I think the maitre d, though obviously busy with other things as well, needs to politely address such problems. Obviously when there is a dress code it is for the comfort of all and to keep in theme with the night. Besides, there is no reason not to dress up at all when Carnival rents tuxedos for around $100 and you can get a decent suit/sportcoat and all that goes with it for under $100. And for the ladies, check discount stores like Ross or TJ Maxx for hot fashions at low prices. Hell, even eBay has great deals. Another great site is overstock.com Saying it costs too much when you pay for a cruise just means you are being a cheapass.
Old February 26th, 2009, 11:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Dressing up is part of the fun. I otherwise have no place else to dress up. It's part of the glamour

03/30/2009 ~ Carnival Ecstasy
09/14/2008 ~ Carnival Legend
03/2008 Carnival Victory
09/2007 Carnival Elation
06/2007 Carnival Liberty
09/2006 Carnival Ectasy
12/2004 Carnival Conquest
Old February 26th, 2009, 11:52 PM
Admiral

What would Jeff Foxworthy say on this issue ?
If you have ever worn sweatpants and a ballcap to a formal dinner, then you might be....

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Old February 26th, 2009, 11:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

Quote:
Originally Posted by beentravelin
Do any of you think Carnival should be more strict about who gets in and who doesn't?

I too have seen some folks get in that they probably should have turned away. I have also seen some people denied entrance. It seems to be inconsistent.
Absolutely. I watched Royal turn more than one GROUP of people away from their dining room because they weren't properly attired. While I know that Royal tends to be more upper scale than Carnival, it's still a semi~formal dining room setting, regardless of what they call the dress code.

Not everyone has to dress formal, to each his own, but I ask for just simply nice. I understand it is your vacation and you want to do what you want, but ball caps/cutoffs/skirts that show all/tops that don't cover/wifebeaters/tasteless t-shirts are disrespectful to such a hardworking staff in such a pretty setting.

During the day all I wear is a sundress and bathing suit/shorts and tees with flipflops/chacos. But at night the mood changes and with it so does my dress attire
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old February 27th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by conway scott
When I am on vacation I like to dress in what makes me comfortable. I could care less what other people wear on formal night. This is my vacation and I will have a good time regardless.
I think this attitude is pretty common, and is probably why the cruise lines don't enforce their dress codes.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old February 27th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

In corporate America, some work places have rescinded Casual Fridays, because, people came to work not casual, but..Iv'e slept in these clothes for 4 days, and I don't care attire.

When someone tries to walk into the dining room, in a thong and flip flops, maybe the line will wake up,realizing, that they went overboard...pun intended.

Call me a snob or whatever, but when someone on formal night sat down at my table, with, jeans, a shirt with a tee shirt sticking out, I was resentful...Go eat somewhere else I wanted to shout...the ships have designated places for casual, or even less than casual dining.

I think some people try and see, just how much they can dress down, and get away with. I guess the same people will go to a nice restaurant or to a wedding dressed the same way.....

Want a nice look, cruiselines..go resort casual each night....ok, I
vented<vbg>

Let me add, there attire did not impact my enjoyment one iota, but, I think the DR staff should stop people at the door, who flaunt the rules....

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 27th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Admiral

Ok, the girl walking into the dining room in a thong..........is she a Hollywood starlet/model type or grossly overweight? Depending on which it is determines if I would want to see. For the record, I do know what Hollywood starlets are supposed to look like. Met one at an actor's convention back in November. Yes, I am an actor in my primary field of work. Secondary is as a travel agent hopeful. Don't mind me, I go off on strange tangents sometimes. Quirky-eccentric type. Kinda like Johnny Depp without the fame, money, or the hot wife.
Old February 27th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Familiar Face

to me, it's fine if you you don't want to dress properly for dinner, just eat at the buffet. please do not go to the dinning room looking like you were laying by the pool.I also believe that those people should be turned away at the door.
Carnival Jubilee 88
Carnival Holiday 89
Sovereign of the Seas 91
Carnival Celebration 92
Big Red Boat 93
Explorer of the Seas 03
Carnival Victory 04
Carnival Legend 05
Jewel of the Seas 06
Carnival Triumph 06
Carnival Miracle 07
Carnival Victory 07
Carnival Miracle 08
Carnival Miracle 09
Carnival Liberty 10
Celebrity Reflection 14
Old February 27th, 2009, 11:51 PM
Admiral

Perhaps you are right, but in any case, we are all here to enjoy ourselves. Let us put all the serious stuff behind.
Old February 28th, 2009, 12:50 AM
Cruise Maniac

I have always and will continue to wear a tux for 1st formal (elegant) night.

I haven't decided what I am wearing for second but leaning toward suit.

I will do a third dress up night with a trip to the supper club - but probably a sport jacket & slacks
Old February 28th, 2009, 12:57 AM
Admiral

I am planning a tux one night and a dinner jacket the other, though I am unsure in which order. I assume the captain's gala is the first formal evening?
Old February 28th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Admiral

Yes, Captain's Gala is the first formal night and usually is the dressier of the two.
Marty
Old February 28th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Familiar Face

When we were on Conquest, our youngest son wore a baseball hat to dinner one night, (he was 21, and has a receding hairline). The maitre'de came by and asked him to remove it. Two nights later, there was an older gentleman wearing a cowboy hat, and our son asked why that was allowed, and was told that it was part of the mans outfit. even though he was dressed very casually. Go figure...

Personally, I love seeing all you James Bond look-a-likes at dinner...keep it up
Old February 28th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Passenger

I'm surprised that the OP found that on the Sensation. When hubby and I sailed her back in December (before DD), I thought that almost EVERYONE was dressed up! It almost felt like prom night onboard

Past cruises:
December 2008 Carnival Sensation
May 2009 Carnival Valor
September 2009 Carnival Elation
Old February 28th, 2009, 09:21 PM
First Mate

I will be the first to say that I hate dressing up for dinner but I do believe in following the rules. However when the DW says I have too I just do it. On a 7 day cruise she only makes me dress up for the first formal night. For the second formal night she lets me off the hook for dressing up but we don't go to the formal dinning room to eat either.

Fascination 01/02
Imagination 07/02
Glory 07/04
Glory 12/04
Valor 12/05
Miracle 08/06
Fascination 10/06
Triumph 06/07
Inspiration 11/07
Destiny 08/08 (VIP Status)
Inspiration 11/09 (VIP Status)
Inspiration 10/10 (VIP Status)
Destiny 10/11 (VIP Status)
Enchantment of the Seas(RC)04/13
Dream 07/13
Old February 28th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Beginner

In general, I'm not a formalwear type person, but the guidelines that Carnival has on their website seem very easy to follow, even for a more casual person like me I plan to dress to the nines on formal night, then wear slacks, a dressy tank and heels the other nights. Far more casual and fun than I get to be at work, so I don't really have pity for the people who want to come to formal night in sweats. Not attractive at all.
Old March 1st, 2009, 02:51 AM
First Mate

I truly hope the formal dress will always be apart of the cruise. It adds a elgance and style to a bygone era.

Plus dressing up is part of the fun. We are looking forward to our next cruise, and the formal nights.
Old March 1st, 2009, 09:28 AM
Familiar Face

While I agree with people doing what they want on a vacation, but you must remember...RULES ARE RULES (or even recommendations) and need to be followed. People who start ignorning certain rules are bound to start pushing the limit on other rules.
Carnival Fantasy Aug 2008
Carnival Esctacy Aug 2007
Celebrity Century Jan 1999
Old March 1st, 2009, 10:13 AM
First Mate

On our next cruise The TUX is going with me.... even if worn to the Lido deck.
Old March 1st, 2009, 03:59 PM
Familiar Face

This past Christmas on the Conquest, most folks had on a nice suit and the women nice dresses. There was a splattering of tuxes and long, ballroom type gowns. On the previous Christmas cruise I did see more than a few that didn't bother to try to look like that had "cleaned up" after coming in from a day at the beach -- I'm talking cut-off jean shorts and wrinkled t-shirts.

I can understand one trying to be comfortable and having the type of cruise that suits your personal style -- but if it's "Formal" night and you want to dress like that, why not go to the buffet or one of the other casual spots to eat?

I do think that Carnival could enforce these nights more. Why have an "elegant" evening when you allow anything (and I mean EVERYTHING) to be worn into the dining room.

Can't wait to see what some folks will wear on a 5 day cruise. Won't stop me from enjoying my cruise though.....

Past Cruises:
CARNIVAL DREAM, 12-23-10
CARNIVAL GLORY, 07-04-09
CARNIVAL ECSTASY, 03-21-09
CARNIVAL CONQUEST, 12-21-08
CARNIVAL CONQUEST, 12-23-07
Old March 1st, 2009, 11:49 PM
Admiral

I don't know about you all, but once I'm on a ship this whole issue goes away . Personally, I can't recall noticing how others dress . Next time I think I might just need to take a note-book with me to dinner as to keep a tally of the # of bluejeans I see.

/ticker.png">
Old March 2nd, 2009, 02:53 AM
First Mate

Many years ago when the children were little we decided to do a family portrait for the Christmas cards... back before digital cameras (my how old are you) and we dressed up with party dresses (not me) and tux (that's me), went to the studio and got them done. After we took the kids to eat at one of the family buffet chains that dot this country. We still had on our "good clothes" and stood out. Well as we are getting ready to leave this older gentleman (80ish) comes up to me and thanks me and my family for making them so happy. It was great to see a WHOLE family that dressed up for Sunday dinner out. We just said "your welcome" and then beat it out to the car.... no comment just an observation. It seems that when dressed up people are always kinder and more polite.