Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 2nd, 2009, 11:04 PM
Passenger

Default Carnival Vs Norwegian vs Royal Carribbean International

I am thinking off a future cruise which cruise line you think is better?
thanks
Old March 3rd, 2009, 12:06 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

Carnival hands down, but Royal is super nice too. Both have areas they excel in and each one offers a unique experience.

There are definitely differences that are quite obvious, but I enjoy both. I just enjoy Carnival more

Never sailed on Norwegian...
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old March 3rd, 2009, 10:42 AM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Pocono Pug

I prefer Carnival as well

Monarch of the Seas 3-92
Celebrity Century 7-96
Dawn Princess 2-97
Enchantment of the Seas 11-98
Rhapsody of the Seas 8-99
CCL Inspiration 8-08, 8-11
CCL Valor 1-09
CCL Glory 11-09
Old March 3rd, 2009, 10:48 AM
Admiral

Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge....

just like cars....each line has its pluses and minuses.

We have only cruised Carnival because our son has Autism and (at least for now) we like the fact that he is comfortable there.

But you can have a good or not so good experience on any of them.

One recommendation...is I would stay with newer ships.

Know that shorter cruises can be more of a party crowd. If you do not want to be around a lot of kids...then cruise when school is in session.

Also, don't book a cruise specifically for a port. While it does not happen all the time, ports are missed from time to time due to weather or other issues.

I have a saying that as long as the ship doesn't sink, I am going to have a great time. So while some cruises are better than others....we have never had a bad one.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old March 6th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Beginner

To answer your question.....depends on your tastes. All cruises offer many things to many people. Rather than get into specifics here. Ask yourself these qustions.
Shopping: Wal-mart or Macys
Dining: Joe's Diner or Joe's Steak House & Grille
If you prefer upscale to bargain basement then consider Royal Caribbean or even Celebrity. Carnival offers alot but be prepared to accept mediocre as the norm. 8)
Old March 7th, 2009, 12:53 AM
Admiral

Huhh I wouldn't compare Carnival to Wal-Mart, nor is the food similar to some greasy diner. From my vantage point, the service and food have both been wonderful.
I've sailed on Holland America which promotes itself as "premium". The experience was wonderful, but so has Carnival's.
For the price, the "Fun Ships" are quit the bargain. For example one trip I'm contemplating....same itinerary for all 3,
Carnival= cruise + air+ vacation protection+ taxes= $1400
Royal Caribbean= $2000
Princess= $2000

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Old March 7th, 2009, 02:33 AM
Admiral

Each person will have a different opinion. I never had a bad cruise and definetly prefer the newer ships. No cruise line is the best. Most likely you will enjoy your cruise no matter which line you choose.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13

Booked Vision of the Seas . 2/14/2015

Booked Allure of the Seas... 2/21/16 *Last Gang Cruise*
Old March 7th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Beginner

carnival!!!!!!!!!!
Old March 7th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Carnival Vs Norwegian vs Royal Carribbean International

Quote:
Originally Posted by xArguetaxcruiser
I am thinking off a future cruise which cruise line you think is better?
thanks
That all depends on what you are looking for in a cruise vacation. What is important to you food, entertainment, activities, ship size, freestyle dining or set dining. etc. If price is important then keep in mind Royal will be the more expensive cruiseline most of the times.
Do you have any kids that will be cruising with you?

My preference is Royal Caribbean first Carnival second and no desire to sail on NCL.

If you can post any additional info then we can recommend a line for you based on what is important to you and not what cruiseline the rest of us like.

Good luck and Enjoy your Cruise whichever one you choose!! 8)

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old March 8th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Captain

Interesting no one seems to like NCL
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09
Old March 9th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Admiral

I prefer RCCL. Having said that however I still feel that Carnival gives you "more bang for your buck". Carnival is a bit (just a bit) more party oriented and a tad rowdier, but between the two the only real advantage is the newest mega ships on Royal are a step up.
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old March 10th, 2009, 03:00 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtropic
I prefer RCCL. Having said that however I still feel that Carnival gives you "more bang for your buck". Carnival is a bit (just a bit) more party oriented and a tad rowdier, but between the two the only real advantage is the newest mega ships on Royal are a step up.
I would love to give RCCL or Princess a try, but the price is a "step up " well.
Within the last week, I was quoted about $700 more for the same Mexican Riviera itinerary that Carnival offered. It must be that abominable single room supplement .
Maybe someday I'll get a bargain on another line !

/ticker.png">
Old March 10th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Admiral

Carnival has come a long way in the last few years, and now offers a lot of cruise for the money. RCI is great as well, if you don't mind paying considerably more for things that you may, or may not use, like the rock climbing wall, and the flow rider. Their ice show is GREAT, but it seems like a lot of extra money to pay, just for that. I personally, enjoy NCL, but don't care for the open dining they offer. I prefer the assigned table each night. Bottom line,,,,IMO Carnival is the way to go,,,,at least for now.

Ken
"SKY"
Old March 10th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

I just posted the same question on the Royal Caribbean Message Board. I've only cruised once before and that was on RC, and I had a fantastic time. I'm now looking to schedule another cruise when I happen to run across pricing for Carnival and was "floored" by the price difference. In reading all the previous responses to this question I just get the feeling its a matter of taste. For those who have cruised both RC and Carnival, is there any significant differences with Food, Services, and Rooms? What does Carnival have that RC does not? If I stay in a suite room, do I get any special services with this room type? Any detailed insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
Old March 10th, 2009, 09:18 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2vacation63
I just posted the same question on the Royal Caribbean Message Board. I've only cruised once before and that was on RC, and I had a fantastic time. I'm now looking to schedule another cruise when I happen to run across pricing for Carnival and was "floored" by the price difference. In reading all the previous responses to this question I just get the feeling its a matter of taste. For those who have cruised both RC and Carnival, is there any significant differences with Food, Services, and Rooms? What does Carnival have that RC does not? If I stay in a suite room, do I get any special services with this room type? Any detailed insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
IMO, the main thing that you'll get aboard Carnival, that you won't get aboard RCI, is a larger cabin, and a smaller bill for the cruise. I do really like the shower aboard the large RCI ships, with the curved door. VERY cool. Food is pretty much a matter of opinion. I don't see much difference myself. Both acceptable and both offer a good choice of dishes.

Ken
"SKY"
Old March 11th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe323
You don't know until you try it!
Old March 11th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Admiral

I've sailed on all three cruise lines, - my first two were with RCCL a short 4 night and then next was 7 nights - after my very first cruise I knew I'd be cruising every year!! The next 4 cruises were with Carnival, my most recent with NCL - and next two cruises are booked with Imperial Majesty and Carnival.

I really liked RCCL and will cruise with them again - I really like Carnival and will cruise with them again. I did not like NCL and I will not cruise with them again. It depends upon who my cruise partners are in regard to what ship I cruise - I didn't care for NCL (too many reasons to list) but I had a blast because we made our own fun. And, on the cruises with RCCL and Carnival - I never had a dull time, and both cruise lines kept us busy, laughing etc.
All, I can say is do some research on your own and yes, listen to previous cruisers but really it's going to be your decision!
Old March 11th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks to all! The best research I have done seems to be on these Cruise Boards. My overall thought is that I will give Carnival a try.
Old March 11th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Passenger

Thanks for the replies
Old March 12th, 2009, 12:01 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeintl
To answer your question.....depends on your tastes. All cruises offer many things to many people. Rather than get into specifics here. Ask yourself these qustions.
If you prefer upscale to bargain basement then consider Royal Caribbean or even Celebrity. Carnival offers alot but be prepared to accept mediocre as the norm. 8)
Since you mention Joe's Steak house I have to comment. I am a Diamond RCL cruiser and a Platinum Carnival cruiser. And will sail both lines again as the right itinerary comes up.
Dining room food overall is pretty good on both lines with a tiny edge to Carnival except beef. Carnival's free DR steaks are a thicker cut and better prepared than RCL's Carnival steaks are NOT outstanding, they are just barely tolerable. RCL's dining room steaks are terrible and unfit to eat. So I pass on beef in the DR on both lines. Many other dishes are quite good on both lines.
In the buffet, RCL's buffet line offerings are definitely better than the same on Carnival. But Carnival has a MUCH wider choice of "Fresh Prep." stations and they are very good to excellent. 50/50
In Premium supper clubs RCL has Portofinos and Chops. Portos is very good. Chops serves USDA CHOICE meat AT BEST. It might be SELECT grade. And they cut it too thin. Much thicker than their DR steaks but still too thin. Not worth an extra cent.
Carnival's supper clubs serve very thick cut real AGED, USDA PRIME BEEF. This is the same meat you find in a $100. a meal upscale steak house. USDA PRIME BEEF cannot be purchased in your local supermarket, nor is it available in an "Outback" type restaurant.
RCL has no beef of the USDA PRIME quality.

Comparing ships, RCL's Voyager class and beyond are outstanding.

Carnival has been revamping and stretching the same ship since the Fantasy class. No "WOW" factor like on RCL, but very low company debt load. RCL's beautiful and constantly unique ships are extremely expensive and put a worrisome debt on the company.

Dan
Old March 12th, 2009, 12:05 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan40
Quote:
Originally Posted by oeintl
Since you mention Joe's Steak house I have to comment. I am a Diamond RCL cruiser and a Platinum Carnival cruiser. And will sail both lines again as the right itinerary comes up.
Dining room food overall is pretty good on both lines with a tiny edge to Carnival except beef. Carnival's free DR steaks are a thicker cut and better prepared than RCL's Carnival steaks are NOT outstanding, they are just barely tolerable. RCL's dining room steaks are terrible and unfit to eat. So I pass on beef in the DR on both lines. Many other dishes are quite good on both lines.
In the buffet, RCL's buffet line offerings are definitely better than the same on Carnival. But Carnival has a MUCH wider choice of "Fresh Prep." stations and they are very good to excellent. 50/50
In Premium supper clubs RCL has Portofinos and Chops. Portos is very good. Chops serves USDA CHOICE meat AT BEST. It might be SELECT grade. And they cut it too thin. Much thicker than their DR steaks but still too thin. Not worth an extra cent.
Carnival's supper clubs serve very thick cut real AGED, USDA PRIME BEEF. This is the same meat you find in a $100. a meal upscale steak house. USDA PRIME BEEF cannot be purchased in your local supermarket, nor is it available in an "Outback" type restaurant.
RCL has no beef of the USDA PRIME quality.

Comparing ships, RCL's Voyager class and beyond are outstanding.

Carnival has been revamping and stretching the same ship since the Fantasy class. No "WOW" factor like on RCL, but very low company debt load. RCL's beautiful and constantly unique ships are extremely expensive and put a worrisome debt on the company.

NCL ranks behind both, but they do a good cruise. I've sailed them and would again for the right itinerary. I'm not a big fan of "Freestyle Dining", its too much like any restaurant on land. But its not horrible.
Dan
Old March 12th, 2009, 12:15 AM
Cruise Maniac

Sorry, double post?????????
Old March 12th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Beginner

Default NOT NCL

We went on the Pearl last year (newer ship). What made us so upset is that if you wanted to eat food that tasted good, you had to go to a pay restaurant. It is unreal how many pay restaurants they had!!! ALSO, our friends complained that even though the sur-charge was $15.00 per person, many of the menu items stated that you had to pay more than the sur-charge.

Stick with Carnival or RCCL.
Old March 12th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Admiral

The interesting thing here is that Celebrity, which is owned by Royal Caribbean, has some Caribbean cruises for less than Royal Caribbean and is yet a premium line. Ironic really. Last I checked, Celebrity had Caribbean cruises from $350/person.

Need some cruise help?
Old March 12th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe323
I'm a big fan of the newer NCL ships. Of the mass market lines, at the moment they're my favorite.

I like the numerous options they offer in dining. Though you have to mentally add $100 -$150 PP to the cost of the cruise to see what it will really cost if you take advantage of all the options.

In most cases, even after adding that amount, they are less expensive or competitive with Carnival, and less expensive than RCI.
Old March 12th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Captain

Truth be told In the past when I was single I did not want to cruise NCL because the lack of a fixed dinner schedule limited my socializing. I also think that is one of reasons I see very few singles cruises on NCL.

Now that I'm engaged the social aspect of dinner is less important but not entirely unimportant. Having said that I would like to give NCL a try beacause the idea of multiple dinner options intrigues me.
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09
Old March 12th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Admiral

NCL charges for everything but the dining room if you look carefully at their web site. It even took me a while to find it, and I obsess over details.

Need some cruise help?
Old March 12th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Admiral

We liked the NCL Dawn cruise that we did last year. Found the food in the main dining room extremely good. Only bothered with the pay extra one night. We also found NCL's production shows to be a LOT better than Carnival, HAL or Princess. Had an excellent cast, plus Russian ballet duo, Latin ballroom duo, and some Cirque de Soleil style acrobats. Had a blast. The only thing I did not like was the fact that those extra dining rooms took up so much room. The ship was a lot bigger than it would have been otherwise. Oh, and fabulous gift shop. I'm not a shopper, but all kinds of cool stuff. We would do NCL again in a heartbeat.
Marty