Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 2nd, 2009, 11:44 PM
Passenger

Default Carnival Inspiration Questions

I'm planning on taking the 5 day Western Caribbean trip to Cozumel and Grand Caymen in November. People are saying to be careful in Mexico these days because of some wars going on. Would it be wise to take this cruise to Mexico at this time?

Does anyone have an idea of what the seas and temperatures are like at those places in Mid-November? I'm hoping there won't be any late hurricanes this year.

Any special tips for this particular ship? We plan on an oceanview room. Should it be in mid-ship?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Old March 3rd, 2009, 12:32 AM
Admiral

Should you go to Mexico ? SURE ! I'm booked on a cruise to there for April and I'm not worried. No reason for concern. 8)
By November hurricanes aren't nearly as likely. Even in peak storm season ( August & September) I've cruised and had no problems. Even if there a storm out there, these high tech ships and their competent crews will sail around the bad weather. Sometimes they might alter an itinerary if need be.
Location is up to you. I have always been on one end of the ship or the other...no seasick...yet. As a matter of fact, I had a forward cabin on the Inspiration, yet I didn't have any issues.

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Old March 3rd, 2009, 02:16 AM
Passenger

Thanks so much! I wasn't really concerned about any dangers in Mexico until someone mentioned it to me tonight. I guess there are drug wars and who knows what else going on in Mexico, but I really didn't think they would be happening in the ports.

I've only been on the Carnival Valor to the Eastern Caribbean 3 years ago so all of this will be a new experience. I'm wishing I was leaving tomorrow!

[/b]
Old March 3rd, 2009, 08:03 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

The only danger in Cozumel is the Tequila in the jewelery stores. The other kind of problems are on the mainland and near the borders. Cozumel is an island and pretty safe.

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old March 3rd, 2009, 08:45 AM
Admiral

Dave is correct! Most of the problems are in the boarder towns, and around Mexico City. I wouldn't worry about Cozumel at all,,,just use common sense as you would in any foreign country.
Inspiration is an excellent little ship. She just completed refit, and is is super condition, as well as having a crew that is truly outstanding. You're going to have a GREAT cruise.

Ken
"SKY"
Old March 3rd, 2009, 09:45 AM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Pocono Pug

I did the same itinerary on Inspiration and loved it. You have nothing to fear in Cozumel except tequila in jewelry stores. So go and have a blast. As far as water temps they should be in the mid to high 70s

Monarch of the Seas 3-92
Celebrity Century 7-96
Dawn Princess 2-97
Enchantment of the Seas 11-98
Rhapsody of the Seas 8-99
CCL Inspiration 8-08, 8-11
CCL Valor 1-09
CCL Glory 11-09
Old March 3rd, 2009, 11:23 AM
Passenger

That makes me feel better. Can't wait to visit the jewelry stores though and watch OTHER people with the tequila.
Old March 3rd, 2009, 03:33 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP
Thanks so much! I wasn't really concerned about any dangers in Mexico until someone mentioned it to me tonight. I guess there are drug wars and who knows what else going on in Mexico, but I really didn't think they would be happening in the ports.

I've only been on the Carnival Valor to the Eastern Caribbean 3 years ago so all of this will be a new experience. I'm wishing I was leaving tomorrow!

[/b]
It's been my experience that on ship sponsored excursions that we get the sanitized tour of the country. That's not such a bad thing in that the locals will attempt to shelter us from social problems.

/ticker.png">
Old March 5th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ro

Five of us are going on The Inspiration to Cozumel June 29, 09 sailing. I never had a problem but I think its like any place you go just be aware of your surroundings and the people hanging around. I believe its Mexico City and the inner cities that are being over ridden with drug lords and drug wars. Only problem I ever encountered in Cozumel were the hawkers selling their wares and them getting mad at me for not wanting to buy anything. Other than that I found the native people very polite.

Inspiration-2004, 2005, 2009
Glory- 4/26/2009
Sensation -4/2007, 10/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Old March 5th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Passenger

Thank you very much. I will be looking forward to your report about the cruise!
Old March 6th, 2009, 06:53 PM
First Mate

We are doing the Inspiration November 7th. We have been to Cozumel several times and never had a problem. Got a mid ship room Ocean View room also. Hope to see you on board.

Fascination 01/02
Imagination 07/02
Glory 07/04
Glory 12/04
Valor 12/05
Miracle 08/06
Fascination 10/06
Triumph 06/07
Inspiration 11/07
Destiny 08/08 (VIP Status)
Inspiration 11/09 (VIP Status)
Inspiration 10/10 (VIP Status)
Destiny 10/11 (VIP Status)
Enchantment of the Seas(RC)04/13
Dream 07/13
Old March 6th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Passenger

I'll be sailing a couple of days after you return. Save me some chocolate cake!
Old March 7th, 2009, 11:39 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP
I'll be sailing a couple of days after you return. Save me some chocolate cake!
I will be sure to tell the wife to leave some of the cake for you. Not sure if it will do any good but I will tell her. Chocolate is her delight.

Fascination 01/02
Imagination 07/02
Glory 07/04
Glory 12/04
Valor 12/05
Miracle 08/06
Fascination 10/06
Triumph 06/07
Inspiration 11/07
Destiny 08/08 (VIP Status)
Inspiration 11/09 (VIP Status)
Inspiration 10/10 (VIP Status)
Destiny 10/11 (VIP Status)
Enchantment of the Seas(RC)04/13
Dream 07/13
Old March 20th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to PENNYCRUISER
Default Just back from Inspiration 3/19/09

Mid ship is best, so said my travel agent, and we felt very little rocking, we were in M119..our travel agent picked it out. The room was great, only complaint was spring breakers singing,yelling, banging on our doors all hours of the night............ UG no sleep.. I love kids, I have 5 of them but I was trying to get a bit of R&R AWAY from them!
Old March 21st, 2009, 01:55 AM
Passenger

Thanks so much. I think my room is probably across the hall from where you were. We're not going until November so we won't be bothered with Spring Break folks and truthfully, I wish I was back at that age again!

Were there any special things on the Inspiration that you liked, or would avoid the next time?

We're only going for the 5 day cruise, but I'm sure I am going to wish I had signed up for at least 7 days. Right now I am kind of limited to the Port of Tampa cruises and there's not much there.

[/b]
Old March 21st, 2009, 08:41 AM
Admiral

I forgot to mention, be SURE to seek out, and find the "Serenity Deck". If you walk to the aft end of the buffet, you'll see a very small open deck, and stairs that lead down to that area. VERY nice, very relaxing, and very small, so get there early on sea days. You'll love it if you're looking for a nice quiet, relaxing area. 8)

Ken
"SKY"
Old March 21st, 2009, 01:35 PM
Admiral

And, if you like sushi, they have a free sushi bar every day, I think between 5 and 6 p.m. Or something like that. It is made up fresh as it is ordered and can get very crowded, but even if we do early seating dinner at 6, I'll still be one of the first in line for the sushi. I can't remember the deck it is on, so ask at the pursers desk.
Yum.
Marty
Old March 21st, 2009, 01:56 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster
I forgot to mention, be SURE to seek out, and find the "Serenity Deck". If you walk to the aft end of the buffet, you'll see a very small open deck, and stairs that lead down to that area. VERY nice, very relaxing, and very small, so get there early on sea days. You'll love it if you're looking for a nice quiet, relaxing area. 8)

Ken
"SKY"
Yes, that was my favorite part of the ship. It was very popular, so the chairs were all taken early.
Old March 21st, 2009, 02:04 PM
Passenger

I will definitely check out the Serenity area as well as the sushi. Thanks so much for these great tips. I'm keeping a Word document with all of these notes so I won't forget.
Old March 22nd, 2009, 09:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ro

We are looking forward to checking out the Serenity Deck also in June. I love nice and quite areas to relax in. Are kids allowed here?

Inspiration-2004, 2005, 2009
Glory- 4/26/2009
Sensation -4/2007, 10/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Old March 22nd, 2009, 10:22 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to PENNYCRUISER
Default Inspiration

Take nice casual clothes, I over packed on the really nice dressy clothes, only needed one formal night and just nice dinner clothes for the rest of the nights.. Chocolate Melting cake is YUMMY!! Catch the shows, the late night adults only stuff is HILARIOUS! (is R rated but the crowd is warned a bit racy!) DO not do the hell, turtle farm and stingrays in Grand Cayman our tour guide was not good and we were 20 mins late getting back, had me really concerned. I would do the stingray part of it, just not the other stuff, to long and not all that great, it takes up all your island time.

I will not do the spring break time again, yes I wish I was that age again, but when I say all hours I mean every night NO continuous sleep @ all!

I loved the cruise, we had Joseph the Super Charged Maitre De and the waiters were great in the Mardi Gras Dinning room. Food is good, ship is very nice and provides a nice smooth ride! I hope you got a room with a window I went to sleep every night with curtains open just enough to see the stars, they are so bright over the dark water!! I cant wait to sail again!