Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 8th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Passenger

Default Do we need a Visa?

My daughters (ages 16, 16, and 19), my husband, my ex husband, and I are traveling aboard Carnival Imagination and it debarks and returns to the port of Miami. We sail on June 1st of 2009.

We are very concerned at this point that we may need a Visa (or the Visa credit card thing). Our Carnival agent told me that we will NOT need a visa because we are entering and exiting the US by boat and at the same port; but I read something (under denial of boarding the ship reasons) on CruiseMates a moment ago that says that this may be incorrect. From what I read, there is an official travel document issued by the US Government that has the wrong information on it regarding this scenerio. This artical states that we will need Visas.

Also in the article, it mentions that everyone over the age of sixteen MUST have the Visa to re enter the US on or after June 1st, 2009. Then later in the document it suggests that anyone age sixteen or under will not need the Visa. Since I'm traveling with two sixteen year olds, I guess I need to find out, for certain if they do or do not need a Visa, assuming of course that rest of us are required to obtain a visa to board the ship.

Anyone know for certain if we need a Visa? I hate to pay the $45 x 7 people if we don't need them; however, I'd gladly pay it rather than be denied boarding the ship or re entry into the US!!!

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Old March 8th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

Taken from Carnival's site:

U.S. citizens traveling on cruises that begin and end in the same U.S. port must show proof of citizenship (such as an original or certified copy of a birth certificate) and a government-issued photo ID (such as a driver’s license). Effective June 1, 2009, U.S. citizens traveling on cruises that begin and end in different U.S. ports, or begin or end in a foreign port, must have a valid passport or recognized WHTI-compliant document. For a complete list of accepted documents, see www.travel.state.gov.

So yes you will need the passport to travel. If you are going to cruise, get the passport, it's good for 10 years.

Turn off your mind, relax, and float downstream

Jubilee July '86
Celebration May '88
Fantasy June '90
Sovereign of the Seas May '93
Windjammer Polynesia June '06
Carnival Triumph May '07
Carnival Freedom Dec.'07
Carnival Imagination Oct.'08
Carnival Destiny Dec.'08
Carnival Liberty May '09
Carnival Freedom Nov.'09
Old March 9th, 2009, 07:48 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Do we need a Visa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaJeff
My daughters (ages 16, 16, and 19), my husband, my ex husband, and I are traveling aboard Carnival Imagination and it debarks and returns to the port of Miami. We sail on June 1st of 2009.

We are very concerned at this point that we may need a Visa (or the Visa credit card thing). Our Carnival agent told me that we will NOT need a visa because we are entering and exiting the US by boat and at the same port; but I read something (under denial of boarding the ship reasons) on CruiseMates a moment ago that says that this may be incorrect. From what I read, there is an official travel document issued by the US Government that has the wrong information on it regarding this scenerio. This artical states that we will need Visas.

Also in the article, it mentions that everyone over the age of sixteen MUST have the Visa to re enter the US on or after June 1st, 2009. Then later in the document it suggests that anyone age sixteen or under will not need the Visa. Since I'm traveling with two sixteen year olds, I guess I need to find out, for certain if they do or do not need a Visa, assuming of course that rest of us are required to obtain a visa to board the ship.

Anyone know for certain if we need a Visa? I hate to pay the $45 x 7 people if we don't need them; however, I'd gladly pay it rather than be denied boarding the ship or re entry into the US!!!

Thanks for your help.
First off I commend you on taking your husband and ex on a cruise together... I'm not sure my wife could or would do that....

Second.... GET A PASSPORT!!!!! Geez....
Old March 10th, 2009, 02:19 AM
Admiral

VISA
Don't they mean passport ?
Perhaps the OP isn't from the US or Canada. According to the Carnival travel brochure the Imagination goes to the Bahamas and Mexico from the US. Can't see where a VISA would be required for a US or Canadian citizen.
If it's passports we are thinking of, I was told 9 March 2009 that PASSPORTS are required, or at least that the cruise-line expects us to possess one.

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews
/ticker.png">
Old March 10th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Passenger

I was curious about this as well, I think we are taking our Passports regardless because of the seemingly conflicting opinions.
Old March 10th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Beginner

Could you have possibly read the article about the South America cruise where people were turned away because they didn't have a Visa?

If so.. that was only for Brazil. They require Visas.
Old March 10th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Familiar Face

Hmmm... carnival told me ( and a few other friends ) that I do not need a passport - that my long form birth cert will do just fine. But I am only going to the Bahamas....

Go figure....
Old March 10th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Admiral

If you all are US citizens, a passport is required, but NO Visa.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old March 11th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Admiral

Passports are preferred because there will come a time (and our government is famous for last minute announcements) when passports are required.

The Government keeps moving back the requirement date....but eventually Passports will be required.

Visas are only required for some ports....but not the ones you will be going to.

Children 16 and over do need a picture ID. If they don't have a driver's licence or high school id (with a picture) just run to Walgreens and have a general picture ID made.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old March 12th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Admiral

Here's the 411.

Passports are required for all US Citizens starting June 1 except those on cruises beginning and ending in the same US City, which requires only a birth certificate and photo ID. Passport books highly recommended due to the possibility of unforseen circumstances.

Visas(not the the credit card, this is a travel document issued by foreign embassies and consulates when required for travellers entering that country for a small fee) are required for some countries but not all. There is a full listing of visa requirements at travel.state.gov, so check each country on your itinerary and if there are any that are required you need to contact the nearest consulate to your location for that country, or if you live in D.C. that country's embassy, for the paperwork. Let their phone receptionist know what you need and they will direct you to the correct official.
Old March 13th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Captain

Get the passport Its not worth the hassle of using anything else & its good for 10 years.

Remember Carnival is not going to let you get on the ship, if they aren't sure you can get off the ship. They aren't The Residensea they do expect you to leave at the end of your cruise
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09
Old March 13th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hard to tell if the OP was talking about Visa, Mastercard and Discover, or about a visa on their passport.

The round trip cruise to/from Miami DOES NOT REQUIRE a passport. It is a "closed loop cruise" [starts and ends in the same US port] and only requires proof of citizenship for US citizens. BC and photo ID.

However a passport is RECOMMENDED!
1. A passport will NEVER be cheaper than it is now, and it is good for 10 years, and it WILL someday be required for local cruises same as it already is required for cruises that are nor 'Closed loops'
2. Should something happen on the Miami cruise requiring an emergency FLIGHT back to the US, then a passport is required to enter the US.

Passports ARE required by countries ALL over the world. Some require a visa [prior permission] on the passport too. But all require a passport and have for decades. Mexico and Canada "waive" the passport requirement for US citizens. And the Caribbean countries "waive" the passport requirement for cruise passengers THAT WILL VISIT THEIR COUNTRY FOR LESS THAN 24 HOURS.

Dan