Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 10th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to RockChickX51
Default Off the wall questions

Here's a couple questions I was thinking of today when a friend and I were talking about crusing on our lunch break

1) Taking a cruise to Costa Rica and Panama, are they worth it? Are those OK ports? There's one that the Freedom does, I don't think it goes through the Panama Canal but it goes to Costa Rica and Panama

2) What happens if you do something bad on a boat (get into a fight, get drunk and disorderly, etc) do they have a brig on cruise ships that they lock you up in??

3) If something happens that you miss the boat at one of the ports, what happens to all your stuff on the boat? Do they collect it and ship it back to your house?

4) The crew, do they sleep on the first 3 decks of the boat? I know the infirmary is down there somewhere to, I've never been to it. I've just been curious as to how the crews quarters look. Do they have the same rooms as the passengers?

Carnival Liberty - May 2009
Carnival Inspiration - October 2008
Sponsored Links
Old March 10th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Admiral

1) I would love to do the Panama Canal and know that Costa Rica is beautiful. Haven't cruised there so am no help.

2) I have been told that there is indeed a brig, on at least some, ships. According to your cruise docs they can put you off anywhere and you need to get back home, if you are not turned over to local authorities.

3) You have to get back to your embarkation port to get your stuff.

4) I've always wondered that too. That's a lot of people for in not much room. Hi diddly dee - a sailors life for me!

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old March 10th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Passenger

1) Panama and Costa Rica are great ports. Although the ship you mentioned, the Freedom, won't able to transit the Panama Canal due to her size. Most ships that go to Panama will dock in Colon, which is only a short ride from the first set of locks on the Panama Canal. I have heard of smaller vessels (not Carnival) transiting the canal halfway and then turning around, but I don't know if that is still done.

2) I have never heard of or seen a brig on a cruise ship. I believe they may exist on some or all ships. A makeshift brig may be used as well. If not that, then the passenger or crew member will be confined to their cabin until they reach the next port of call.

3)If it is possible, you can fly to the next port of call to reboard the ship. The cruise line will know if you didn't reboard the ship. They won't wait for you too long at port when it's time to depart (unless a tour booked through the cruise line is running late). If that doesn't work, then you would have to get in touch with the cruise line as soon as possible to notify them of your situation. And you will have to meet up with the ship at the debarkation port to pick up your belongings or (just as a good guess) they may ship it back to where you live.

4) Most of the staff and crew members have cabins on the lower decks of the ship. Some of them may have cabins is the middle parts of the ship on the passenger levels. I once came across a few of these cabins when I accidentally took the alternative staircase route to get to my muster station when I was on the Carnival Legend. High ranking officers and the Captain have their own private cabins located near the bridge. Accommodations for the staff are a bit smaller than the smallest passenger cabins. They are similar in size to what you would see for a small van RV or train cabin. They usually have a bathroom,a desk, and a small tv. Most of the staff will share the room with up to 1-3 other members (4 all together). There isn't any exciting decor in these cabins. They use plain or basic colors and may or may not have carpeting. The cabins have basic paneling. The crew cabins are usually a bit larger than the staff cabins with some upgrade in decor. Depending on the rank, most crew members may share their cabin with only one other person or they may have their own cabin. High ranking officers and the captain have deluxe accommodations similar to those found in ocean-view suites on cruise ships. On some some ships, the captain may have his/her on private balcony. Most of the staff and crew hallways usually just have painted metal walls using white or beige colors. Some areas may use basic paneling similar to the passenger hallways. The closest most passengers will ever come to seeing the staff and crew areas is when they visit the infirmary and/or leaving the ship via tender or gangplank.

If anyone asks about how I got the information to answer #4, I have seen pictures and videos of these cabins on YouTube. I have also seen pictures of these areas taken by people exploring the insides of older cruise ships that are being prepared to be scrapped. I also have talked to some of the staff members about their living conditions on the ship.
Carnival Miracle 12/23/08
Carnival Legend 4/1/07
Carnival Liberty 1/1/06,11/21/06
Caribbean Princess 5/28/05
Norwegian Wind 3/20/04
Carnival Legend 12/20/02, 3/18/03
Carnival Fascination 11/1/02
Carnival Victory 3/17/02
Carnival Triumph 3/17/01
RCI Majesty Of The Seas 1/5/01
Carnival Ecstasy 1/15/99, 2/04/00
Old March 10th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Admiral

Cruiser EK is pretty much correct on the crews cabins. I go aboard ship and work on the computers from time to time, and therefor have been on the crews levels, and seen some of their cabins. VERY small, and usually shared by two or more crew members sharing the space. If they don't get along,,,,well,,,,I can't imagine what would happen. As he stated, the more ranking members of the crew have much better cabins, however, they are still pretty much like an inside cabin for the passengers. Of course the Captain, I'm sure, has a much better cabin. I personally, have never seen the Captains cabin though.

Ken
"SKY"
Old March 10th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

The asnwer to the question about the crew is they have space on the Zero deck and one deck below for ALL of the crew. Many of the staff have a cabin that is the size of a typical inside cabin, but it is FOUR to a cabin and the cabin is a bare bones, so I doubt there is a desk and mirror. They would have double the closet space so each has their own space for their belongings. The dancers, social staff, and some higher ups are two to a cabin, but if your are lucky enough to be even higher like CD, hotel director, some of the officers, and the Captain you get a cabin all to yourself!!!

The crew have a mess hall, a social room, and there probabyl are computers for them to keep up with people back home if they have the internet. They work so much they do not have a lot of down time. They usually put in a 12-14 hour day, so sleep is important to them!!!!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old March 11th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Admiral

Thanks folks for the information on crew quarters. A word of advice....don't go snooping or looking around... the crew... they don't like that.
I can answer one question, Colon Panama isn't at all a "nice port", but the shore excursion into the canal was wonderful. My ferry tour crossed two of the three locks.

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews
/ticker.png">
Old March 11th, 2009, 07:20 AM
Admiral

1. I've been to Costa Rica, and Panama. Very interesting if not very pretty ports. Very poor city, heart breaking poverty. In Panama going to the Gatun Lake was the prettiest part, the locks were interesting but I didn't want to spend all day going through them, the cruise lines has an excursion that takes you to more then one. Meeting the Umbria Indians also included on Carnivals Grand tour was interesting though very hot weather at the reservation. Costa Rica is very jungle like, lots of wild animals I called it the Land Before Time, I saw monkeys, sloths, igunas etc in the wild. The roads are scary ha ha wouldn't want to drive them myself that's for sure.

2. Don't know about a Brig.

3. When embarking on shore it's important I would think to bring a credit card, cash ID, and allow plenty of time to get back to your boat especially if it's a tender port. Ships will wait for you if you are on there excursions only not a private one, but don't hold up the group.

4. I have been in a crew members cabin (I dated a musician who worked on the ship and he snuck me in for a few minutes before disembarkation) it was tiny bare bones with bunk beds, he had a roomate, no porthole or windows. I do wonder if the crew can get fired for dating a guest? My guess is probally, though on some ships the officers at least made no attempt to hide this fact.
Carnival Pride October 2006 (Mexican Rivera)
Carnival Legend 2007 (Western Caribbean)
Carnival Glory 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Liberty 2011 Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Spirit 2011 Western Caribbean
Carnival Miracle 2012 Southern Caribbean
Carnival Breeze 2013 Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Valor 2014 Southern Caribbean
Old March 11th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Admiral

Just remembered my father-in-law and his wife dined at the captains table on a Cunard (I think) ship. One evening he invited the group to his cabin for cokctails. I'm not sure where it was located but they said it was very nice. Mostly they talk about his socks being washed out and hanging in the shower. Some people concentrate on odd things.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old March 11th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to RockChickX51

CruiserEK thanks! That helped a lot. They weren't really anything I NEEDED to know, just stuff I was curious about.

I actually sat next to a crewmember on my last cruise at the Chopin Lounge. He was in street clothes and said he was off for the night and the next morning and was going to make the best of it. I gave him a Cuban cigar and we drank for a little bit. He was really really nice. I couldn't get over his accent. I love accents. He was from Eastern Europe, one of those "fall of Communism" countries...can't remember which one.

Carnival Liberty - May 2009
Carnival Inspiration - October 2008
Old March 11th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Admiral

Years ago, when single, I dated a high ranking crew member. SInce I lived in the home port for his ship, relationship got serious enough that he treated me to a cruise at Christmas so we could be together. His cabin was very small, but he had it to himself. However, on Christmas Eve, crew was having a part below decks and he needed to put in an appearance and I went with him. I was appalled at how tightly their areas were pushed together. Crew lounge was big enough for maybe 10 people at a time. Dining area was wooden picnic tables and benches. Very barebone. Did not see their cabins, but they are assigned 4 to a cabin 2/3 the size of smallest parrenger cabin. And, I can answer the question of what happens when they don't get along...if any of them get into fights, they are fired. And fights still break out, sometimes with knives.
Still currently friends with someone who works on board a ship and things haven't changed much apparently.
Marty
Old March 11th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Admiral

Oh, and I forgot. Do NOT go into crew quarters. WHile I was with someone I was serious about, even he was nervous about taking me down there. You are talking about a LOT of men who have been away from wives, girlfriends, and no private time with women at all (unless they have a "friend" in a port, which most of them don't have time or opportunity for) and you do NOT want to be accessible!
:evil: Don't do it.
Marty
Old March 11th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Off the wall questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockChickX51
Here's a couple questions I was thinking of today when a friend and I were talking about crusing on our lunch break

1) Taking a cruise to Costa Rica and Panama, are they worth it? Are those OK ports? There's one that the Freedom does, I don't think it goes through the Panama Canal but it goes to Costa Rica and Panama

Been to CR from both Pacific and Caribbean sides. Enjoyed both. Its a little less touristy than most places.
Canal, haven't been to the port, but have gone thru the Canal a few times. Take an excursion that goes thru Gatun locks if the ship doesn't, it is extremely interesting, 26million gals of water used for every ship that goes thru. Trillions of gallons per year, all from rainwater. So expect rain while you're there!

2) What happens if you do something bad on a boat (get into a fight, get drunk and disorderly, etc) do they have a brig on cruise ships that they lock you up in??

They have brigs, and they can turn you over to the authorities at the next port, or just put you off the ship, ON YOUR OWN.

3) If something happens that you miss the boat at one of the ports, what happens to all your stuff on the boat? Do they collect it and ship it back to your house?

Probably C.O.D and they take no responsibility for missing or damage. Also, missing the ship many places will put the ship in violation of the Passenger Services Act and they could [will] be fined $350.00 pp and you will have to pay it. Also true if you are put off.

4) The crew, do they sleep on the first 3 decks of the boat? I know the infirmary is down there somewhere to, I've never been to it. I've just been curious as to how the crews quarters look. Do they have the same rooms as the passengers?

The crew does sleep below the passenger decks. When in port you will see round portholes all along the lower part of the ship. Those are mostly crew rooms. Depending on the rank, they have teeny tiny rooms. Some with 4 bunk beds in a L shape. Only a couple of sq. ft. personal space per crewman. 2 of those rooms would have a head to share between them.

Ordinary crewmen have their own bar/night club. Petty Officer ranks have their own private club/bar and full Officers have their own private club/bar. Have had the pleasure of getting pretty blasted in all 3.

Dan
Old March 12th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Admiral

I have heard Costa Rica is supposed to be one of the most beautiful countries in Central America and I know for a fact the women are just as beautiful(I have a Costa Rican friend), not that the women will neccessarily matter to you.