Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 16th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

My first cruise in 1983 on the Festivale. I sailed with 5 other ladies. Three in each room. One of the ladies in my room was out drinking with the crew most nights. Came in at 4:30 am one morning. Made a lot of noise and finally fell into bed and passed out. That morning we came in to St Thomas. we had a free morning then an outing in the afternoon. We tried to wake her to see if she wanted to go into town. No luck. So off we 5 went and really enjoyed exploring Charlotte Amalie. We got back in time to wake up our roommate and go to lunch before going on our tour. She spent the rest of the week whining that we left her alone that morning. Se was actually mad that we did not sit in the room and wait for her to wake up. We never heard the end of it the rest of the week. There is a lot more to it than just that but I will leave it there. The next year the same group plus others formed a group again. we made sure we did not room with her!

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old March 17th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Pocono Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe323
Well let's see I have had snoring roomates. I cover that up with ear plugs etc.

But the worst person I ever cruised with was on the singles cruise I did several years ago on the Monarch of the Seas. I was paired with a roomate who was strange to begin with.

I woke up one night during the cruise from the noise he was making (how do I put this nicely) "touching himself".

I was grossed out.
I dont care who youare that there is funny

Monarch of the Seas 3-92
Celebrity Century 7-96
Dawn Princess 2-97
Enchantment of the Seas 11-98
Rhapsody of the Seas 8-99
CCL Inspiration 8-08, 8-11
CCL Valor 1-09
CCL Glory 11-09
Old March 17th, 2009, 03:44 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
I have also found the reverse to be true. Met some people on a 14 day cruise and got along with them really well. Met for coffee every a.m. and I hate chit chat in the morning. Found out we lived fairly near each other. Got together a few times and found out that we had nothing in common other than cruising! Still wish them well, just at a distance.
Marty
We have a couple that we have cruised twice with - met the first cruise... the 2nd time was a fluke as we had both booked independently of each other and then emailed to gloat we were going on a cruise.... They don't live near us and I'm not sure we would do well on land - BUT on the ship they are a blast.
Old March 17th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsfamily
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
I cruised with several friends over the years. Found that the friendship had little to do with how well we travled together. People have very specific styles of travel and they don't always mesh.
Marty we would never cruise with some of our dearest friends. It just wouldn't go well.
Amen on that one... I have actually found that the BEST friends for cruising (other than my wife) are ones you meet onboard... no strings and if things click great... if not -well the ship is BIG.
I have friends from all over the world that I have cruised with many times. Meet them all onboard various ships. We have a great time onboard and in the ports. The only time I see them is on another ship. It works out great. We stay in touch by email and still often end up booking the same cruises.

There is the cruise me and the land me. Have onshore friends and onboard friends. Works for me.

As far as the worst people I ever cruised with that would be my now ex inlaws. Nuff said.

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old March 18th, 2009, 05:38 AM
First Mate

Quote:
that would be my now ex inlaws. Nuff said
LMAO!!! My first marriage ended a LONG time ago but even today I would not want to be around those people....
Old March 20th, 2009, 01:04 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to cruisecouple

Carnival Inspiration May 3, 2007 - a grandmother in her late 40's or early 50's cussing at her young granddaughter so that everyone could hear. The grandmother is the one that should have been given a tongue lashing. No offense to any of my fellow cruisers here but I'm glad I know when there's a time and a place. I would never yell at my granddaughter like she did. I felt so bad for the little girl. You could tell she needed some "me" time be it a nap or a short stay to rejuvenate in Camp Carnival.

Old March 20th, 2009, 01:09 AM
First Mate

Cruisemates that are late for dinner!!! How rude. But even worse, cruisemates that have never read any books of etiquette. We cruised with two who thought they were in some low life diner somewhere (no offense to diner owners either - I love a nice diner). We now know to tell them to be ready a half hour before they're supposed to be and after three cruises together, have decided that we are buying them travel size etiquette books! No joke! We love them dearly, but it's time!

Old March 20th, 2009, 01:28 AM
First Mate

Ok so we've lived and learned about cruising now that I've read all the posts which were excellent. This is what I've learned just like when I had friends stay with me at the beach for a few days when I was a lot younger. They thought I was their maid. Thank goodness it rained and we came home!

1. Cruise with someone or a couple that you know have been with you through good and bad, highs and lows and don't give a hoot about what you do for a living and who you DON'T have to impress!
2. Cruise with the above so that you know they won't throw hissy fits if they aren't together 24 hours a day, 7 days a week! When my husband and me got married, we made sure we kept our friends because some day those friends will be here when one of us are not!
3. Married couples who don't trust one another should NOT cruise! My mantra "married not dead" and "look but don't touch"!
4. Family cruising together is great if everyone is able to go their separate ways and come back and tell funny stories!
5. As grandparents who have temporary custody of a now 3 1/2 year old little girl, I am not neurotic and after seeing how she fell in love with Camp Carnival and two little friends from Colorado (fortunately close to her where her cousins live), I will never force her to stay with us if she wants to go there. We just have two rules - meals together and excursions together and we will never torment her with a ruins tour. She can do that when SHE'S older and cruising with HER friends or family!
6. Speaking of grandparents, don't just take your grandchildren with you because you HAVE to, take them because they enjoy your company as much as you enjoy their company!
7. My final advice come cruisemate issue: neat cruisemates should bunk together and the other should bunk together! Unless you're like me and that neat cruisemate has a very good effect on you! :0