Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 11th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to RockChickX51
Default WORST person you've ever cruised with......

I saw this on a thread on another site for a different thing and thought it might be fun to start it on this since there's not much activity on this board.

Who is the worst person you've ever cruised with and why?
Whether it be a mother in law that complained all the time, a friend that was cheap, etc. etc.

I'll start.

I've only been on one cruise and it was me and my BF in one room, my aunt, her 2 kids, and my grandma in another room.
The whole time my aunt did nothing but yell at her kids.
"Stay over here!" "Where are you going?" "What are you doing that for?" "Get over here!"
So for most all of the cruise, except for the last night, we let the kids hang out with me and my boyfriend just so she'd leave them alone. We'd meet up in the mornings, hang out all day and then drop them off at their room at night. Even in the port we took her older one with us because we knew she'd yell at them all day. She's very dictator and people have to do everything SHE wants to do.
She didn't really ruin the cruise for ME, but made it miserable on her kids so I took them with us so THEY could at least have a good time. Me and the BF missed out on a lot of bars and stuff and staying out late on the boat, but it was all in good cause.

I'm sure there's more stories out there, so lets have it.

Carnival Liberty - May 2009
Carnival Inspiration - October 2008
Sponsored Links
Old March 11th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Admiral

It's those mean people who make me get off of the ship at the end of the cruise.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old March 11th, 2009, 04:18 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd
It's those mean people who make me get off of the ship at the end of the cruise.
I Hate those guys!!
Old March 11th, 2009, 07:28 PM
First Mate

I don't recall any "worst" people on a cruise. Some aren't as fun as others but none that qualified as Worst.

2012 Carnival Destiny
2011 Carnival Splendor
2011 Carnival Pride
2010 Carnival Legend (w/ Hurricane Paula)
2010 Carnival Imagination
2009 Carnival Valor
2008 Carnival Freedom
2008 Carnival Facination
2007 Carnival Triumph
2006 Carnival Miracle
2005 Carnival Victory
2002 Carnival Imagination
Old March 11th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Admiral

At work we organized an 8 day cruise out of San Diego and had 12 people sign up, some we didn't know. The cruiseline arranged our early dining together at 1 table which was great. We had the smallest waiter and our table was the farthest from the kitchen. One couple could NOT be happy or satisfied with anything they ordered. Every night they sent their meal back for one reason or another. We were always the last ones there getting dessert. They would also complain about everything, even saying their portable radio, DVD player and movies were stolen from their luggage before it was delivered to their cabin. I told them to file a report but they said no because the movies were "bootlegged"! Needless to say we didn't tell them the next time we planned a cruise out of Fort Lauderdale. We had some repeat friends and more new ones. It was a great cruise and we had a wonderful time.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old March 11th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

O, do not flame me now, but the worst person I have cruised with is my mother. She is hopeless. She needs to guided around the ship just to find a common room that can be found on Promenade, no, I have to show her. I literally had to spend the whole first day on a LONG guided tour several times over so she had a little bit of a clue where everytthing wzs. Turns out most of the time was spent at the main pool area on Lido and when I told her about the pool and food at the back of the ship she was clueless!!! She didn't even go past the lido buffet after two days!!!!!

I think the biggest issue was snoring, she went to sleep the minute her head hit the pillow and the snoring began a few seconds later. I need silence to get to sleep. I ask, have you ever tried to sleep with someone snoring?...it isn't easy. I think I managed to get to sleep after more than an hour each night--I should have gotten up and went on deck and had some more fun instead. She also snored all night long. I barely managed to get 3 or 4 hours of sleep a night. The worst was on the Conquest when I was sound asleep and her snoring woke me up. I took forever to get to sleep and by 5am I was jolted awake by her snoring and couldn't get back to sleep. I went out on the balcony and watched the ship sail into Grand Cayman. it was a LOOOOOONG 90 minutes before we anchored and woke them (my mom and niece) up that we were there...

She said I snored and that I was asleep before her, uhm, ya.....I needed a week to recover from the lack of sleep I missed and it wasn't because I was out partying too late!!!

I cruise alone now, so no one to complain again...

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old March 11th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by misguidedangel
I cruise alone now, so no one to complain again...
EXACTLY !!! I don't want my "friends" or family cruise traveling with me.
That's one reason to go on holiday, to get away from those who irritate. 8)
99% of the people who cruise travel are simply wonderful. They are a "fun" breed of humans. Birds of a feather stick together.

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Old March 12th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by misguidedangel
I think the biggest issue was snoring, she went to sleep the minute her head hit the pillow and the snoring began a few seconds later. I need silence to get to sleep. I ask, have you ever tried to sleep with someone snoring?...it isn't easy.
I'm usually the snorer rather than the "snoree"

The DW and I have pondered who we would want to cruise wtih. We haven't come up with the answer yet.

Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Old March 12th, 2009, 10:41 AM
First Mate

Quote:
The DW and I have pondered who we would want to cruise wtih. We haven't come up with the answer yet.
As my wife is my best friend we find the same... we have gone on several group cruises and end up almost hiding from them... lol
Old March 12th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsfamily
Quote:
As my wife is my best friend we find the same... we have gone on several group cruises and end up almost hiding from them... lol
Hay Bob - it's marvelous how often you and I are of the same opinion!

You know what they same about Bobs of a Feather, or something like that.

Old March 12th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Familiar Face

Well the worst people we ever cruised with was the mechanic and his wife that I worked with--when we begin the process of planning our cruise --he and his wife invited themselves-----then they asked for a room beside of us---so we go on this cruise kinda wondering what will happen as he never shuts up and is alway bugging people everyday about something---well let's just say he did it this time as well----- when we arrived on the ship he started eating-----he would stand up and say its free I think I will try some of this and some of this---then take a bite and say I don' t like that then go get more---we could have fed an army with what he wasted-----not something I think anyone should do ever----then when we went on the excruisions he was so loud everyone was looking at him-----after that we hid from him until the formal night ----we were seated with him and he did the same with the food again------- then he asked the waiter for something that we were sure was not available--he also made a scene about the tea-----boy were we floored----so the rest of the trip--we never saw them cause we hid from them
sorry but they were way too ignorant for us----we never go on any vacation cruises with anyone else ---we don't tell until the ship is BOOKED
Kathy
Old March 12th, 2009, 03:16 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsfamily
Quote:
Hay Bob - it's marvelous how often you and I are of the same opinion!

You know what they same about Bobs of a Feather, or something like that.
Yes BOB's unite... Actually the name of my company is RENT A BOB.... and I'm the Bob. People ask me what I do and I ask them what their budget is... lol
http://www.rent-a-bob.net
Old March 12th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to RockChickX51

www.rent-a-bob.net

How about Bob's Barricades? LoL I think that's like the only barricade place in America. All those road construction signs, all made by Bob's Barricades. Who's that Bob? Whoever he is, he's raking in the cash

Carnival Liberty - May 2009
Carnival Inspiration - October 2008
Old March 12th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Captain

Well let's see I have had snoring roomates. I cover that up with ear plugs etc.

But the worst person I ever cruised with was on the singles cruise I did several years ago on the Monarch of the Seas. I was paired with a roomate who was strange to begin with.

I woke up one night during the cruise from the noise he was making (how do I put this nicely) "touching himself".

I was grossed out.
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09
Old March 12th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I have to say that my mom isn't the worst, but I always feel like a glorified tour guide when I went with her on the two cruises. Her and my niece were terrified to wander about on their own if I was not around...Uhm, ah, ok.....not fun....During the day after day 1 it was ok, we would hook up at dinner, but that travelling day, boarding day, and first day were always the worst....

The night time sleeping was a BIG deal, but I dealt with it...

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old March 12th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockChickX51
www.rent-a-bob.net

How about Bob's Barricades? LoL I think that's like the only barricade place in America. All those road construction signs, all made by Bob's Barricades. Who's that Bob? Whoever he is, he's raking in the cash
Not me - but I did make a Bob's Barricades page for a graphic application (way back in the day) for the ubiquitous "this page under construction".

Old March 13th, 2009, 03:13 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe323

But the worst person I ever cruised with was on the singles cruise I did several years ago on the Monarch of the Seas. I was paired with a roomate who was strange to begin with.

I woke up one night during the cruise from the noise he was making (how do I put this nicely) "touching himself".

I was grossed out.
You win. That's gross.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old March 13th, 2009, 05:32 AM
Admiral

I never cruised with any unpleasant people. We have cruised with friends a few times, but I like it better when it's just my wife and I.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13

Booked Vision of the Seas . 2/14/2015

Booked Allure of the Seas... 2/21/16 *Last Gang Cruise*
Old March 13th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe323

I was grossed out.
You win. That's gross.
Yeah it was good thing the rest of that cruise was Fantastic !!!
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09
Old March 14th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to passionmango

My husband and I decided to take our family from both sides, I would have to say I had the worse time due to my mother in law.

Carnival Splendor May 2009
Carnival Valor May 2007
Carnival Glory 2005
Carnival Conquest 2004
Old March 14th, 2009, 05:56 PM
First Mate

The worst person I've ever cruised with is a good friend of my wife and I. This lady is a registered nurse and a Captain in the Air Force. We put together a 7 day cruise and all we heard about everyday was the $10 per day that she had to pay for tips. She just could not understand why she needed to pay that much. Someone overheard her complaining and told her that she could go to the purser's desk and get it removed. Needless to say by the time I got through reading her the riot act she left the tips in place. Two years later we went through the entire thing again. I now tell her that if she ever tries to book a cruise that I am on we will cancel and book a different ship. This lady is by no means is hurting for money. She is just cheap.

Fascination 01/02
Imagination 07/02
Glory 07/04
Glory 12/04
Valor 12/05
Miracle 08/06
Fascination 10/06
Triumph 06/07
Inspiration 11/07
Destiny 08/08 (VIP Status)
Inspiration 11/09 (VIP Status)
Inspiration 10/10 (VIP Status)
Destiny 10/11 (VIP Status)
Enchantment of the Seas(RC)04/13
Dream 07/13
Old March 14th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Passenger

I'd have to say my sisters sister-in-law. Ok this girl has traveled before right, how she does it still has me clueless.....BUT....the majority of her cosmetics, shampoos, conditioners, lotions, etc are in her carry on...big red flag right? So the airport dumps all her junk in the trash..BAM! So they miss their flight....and this is before we leave our hometown. So her cruise is pretty dramatic..fighting with her boyfriend, wearing prom dresses during non-formal nights, etc...So our trip comes to an end, we debark, get our luggage, get to the airport...BAM..more drama...she is under the impression that her luggage would be special delivered just for her to the airport, nope its sitting in the warehouse at the port. She blames her boyfriend..(of course)..and tries to tell anyone her story. We just couldn't wait to get home and go our seperate ways.
Old March 15th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Admiral

Daves' Ex-wife! O.K.,,,I'm sorry....I just couldn't help myself.

Ken
"SKY"
Old March 15th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Admiral

The only time we have had a problem was a cruise that we took with some friends. Now, most of the cruise, it was fine. They both tend to be workaholics and watching them relax and get into the cruise mood was a blast. But, having never been out of the country, they were nervous. Wife wanted to do a specific tour in Mexico, her DH did not, so I went with her. Had a good time, but we got back to the ship before the guys did. She went to beauty salon, I went up on deck and got some lunch. Now, I already knew that her DH is a tad overprotective, but he came up to me and demanded to know where his wife was. I said she went to the salon. He insisted that her appointment was too long ago and should be over. He got so insistent that I finally got annoyed and said that, since I had NOT left his wife in a third world country, that my responsibility for her whereabouts was OVER. He got the message. We're still friends, but haven't cruised together since.
WHen single, I cruised with several friends over the years. Found that the friendship had little to do with how well we travled together. People have very specific styles of travel and they don't always mesh. That's why I went back to assigned cabin mates. No harm to existing friendship if I have to get rude and just go ahead with what I want to do.
Marty, just happy DH and I travel well together
Old March 15th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Admiral

A buddy of mines wife. She complained about everything, and I mean everything. The ride to the airport before the cruise, the flight, the trip to the ship, the ship, the cruise, everything. A couple of times at dinner she ordered food and when it was brought to her she complained about it not being right and got up from the table. My buddy didn't say anything about his wifes complaining. After the 3rd day DW and I (ditched them) found company with ourselves much better.
Needless to say haven't cruised with them again.
Old March 15th, 2009, 07:17 PM
First Mate

my mother in law. She was the harbinger of doom. She was constantly worried about fire, sinking etc. Never again!
2004 "Glory"
2004"Victory"
2007 "Liberty"
2007" Explorer of the Seas
2009 "Valor"
2009 "Fascination"
2011 " Pride"
2014 "Adventure of the Seas"
Old March 15th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to passionmango

jlauntz,

My MIL cried threw the whole time my FIL could not step away from her site or she would cry.

Carnival Splendor May 2009
Carnival Valor May 2007
Carnival Glory 2005
Carnival Conquest 2004
Old March 16th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
I cruised with several friends over the years. Found that the friendship had little to do with how well we travled together. People have very specific styles of travel and they don't always mesh.
Marty we would never cruise with some of our dearest friends. It just wouldn't go well.

Old March 16th, 2009, 10:52 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
I cruised with several friends over the years. Found that the friendship had little to do with how well we travled together. People have very specific styles of travel and they don't always mesh.
Marty we would never cruise with some of our dearest friends. It just wouldn't go well.
Amen on that one... I have actually found that the BEST friends for cruising (other than my wife) are ones you meet onboard... no strings and if things click great... if not -well the ship is BIG.
Old March 16th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Admiral

I have also found the reverse to be true. Met some people on a 14 day cruise and got along with them really well. Met for coffee every a.m. and I hate chit chat in the morning. Found out we lived fairly near each other. Got together a few times and found out that we had nothing in common other than cruising! Still wish them well, just at a distance.
Marty