Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 12th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Beginner

Default CARNIVAL RIP-OFF

Dear Editors: Please alert your readers to Carnival Cruise's dealings with their customers! My wife and I were sceduled to leave on our first-ever cruise on January 25th, 2009. On December 24th, I was hospitalized with a 1%-chance reaction to chemotherapy which damaged 85-90% of my lungs. I was on a ventilator and was hospitalized for two months and am still in recovery from the ordeal. Our cruise organizer was able to sell our tickets to some past clients for $1,200.00, which we believed would be refunded to us. This was not the full price we had paid, but acceptable under the circumstances. GUESS AGAIN! ENTER CARNIVAL!! CARNIVAL told our cruise organizer ( a large group which sails YEARLY with them) that,"SORRY!", this is a cancellation and we are going to sell tickets to your clients and we're only going to refund 50% of the original ticket cost!! Remember, the tickets were re-sold for cash, Carnival was not out anything. I guess when you get as BIG as CARNIVAL, you don't have to care much about people anymore. And I just read that the cruise lines were reducing fares because fewer people were cruising. YOU BET! BEWARE OF CARNIVAL!! Remember, this was to be our FIRST CRUISE. Talk about a BAD TASTE!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Old March 12th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Admiral

Hi - Are you an SIU Saluki?

Anyway, I'm sorry to hear about your difficulty, especially on your first cruise. Unfortunately for you, Carnival's actions were exactly as they are described in your cruise contract. I know you are new to this forum, but that is why people on it preach insurance over and over again. It is good that your organizer tried to help, but they did you a disservice in not having you get trip insurance.

I hope you will take another shot at cruising whether it is with Carnival or another line. And I wish you a speedy continued recovery.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old March 12th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Admiral

It is not Carnival's fault. Like the other poster said it was in your cruise contract. You were in the time slot where if you cancel you WILL NOT get a refund. If you would of got travel insurance it would of helped.

I have another question. If this happened in late December, early January why are you just writing about this now.

Past Cruises:
Carnival Ecstasy (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2003
Carnival Pride (7 Day Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Spirit (8 Day Exotic Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Freedom (7 Day Western Caribbean) 2008
Carnival Elation (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2009
Carnival Spirit (7 Day Southbound Alaska) 2009
Old March 12th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
I have another question. If this happened in late December, early January why are you just writing about this now.
The original poster did say that they were hospitalized for two months, and still in the recovery process, so I think the question was answered before it was asked.

Sadly this is a case where the travel agent needed to request a name change on the booking from Carnival first. It is not possible for someone to simply resell a cabin.

As was pointed out, travel insurance is available, and siutations like this are why.

First time cruisers often think they can save the expense or it doesn't even enter their minds. This is where a travel agent NEEDS to make customers aware of the risks they're taking when booking, and making final payments for their cruise.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 12th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki
Quote:
The original poster did say that they were hospitalized for two months, and still in the recovery process, so I think the question was answered before it was asked.
Oops. I didn't see that!

Past Cruises:
Carnival Ecstasy (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2003
Carnival Pride (7 Day Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Spirit (8 Day Exotic Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Freedom (7 Day Western Caribbean) 2008
Carnival Elation (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2009
Carnival Spirit (7 Day Southbound Alaska) 2009
Old March 12th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Passenger

Default Carnival Refund policy

I am glad you are recovering from your adverse reaction to chemo.
Carnival has clear cancellation policies, and cruise insurance would have covered your unfortunate circumstances.
I can feel for you, but policies are policies, and they have to draw the line somewhere.
Barbara

Pride 10/03
Triumph 5/04
Triumph 4/07
Splendor 4/0
Dream 5/10
Old March 12th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

Sorry, I am going to be snarky...bad day at work..

read the fine print about cancellation and policy on changing the name of who was going. If two were to cancel out of a cabin then the booking for that cabin would be cancelled....

I've read the fine print so many times in the back of the brochure that anytime anyone tells me I tell me I've read em a dozen times and know what it means!!

INSURANCE, INSURANCE, INSURANCE..

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old March 12th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Passenger

insurance insurance insurance......
I hope you are doing well in your recovery and can do yourself a favor and book another cruise someday. Just be sure and buy the insurance..
god bless you
Mike
Carnival Fantasy 2008
Granduer of the seas 2005

Old March 12th, 2009, 11:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

Insurance would not only have gotten you a refund, but if something happened while you were on board and needed emergency medical care - Your regular insurance does not cover.

I have a friend that was hurt in Europe and the insurance got her back to the states on a medivac - No charge but without would have been over $10,000.

Always get insurance - The one time you need it more than pays for a lifetime.
Old March 12th, 2009, 11:41 PM
Admiral

I'm sorry things didn't work out.

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Old March 13th, 2009, 05:35 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

So sorry to hear about your health issues, hopefully a full recovery will happen. As this was your first cruise, there are cancellation policies that are outlined for you. Had you cancelled when you first got sick, you should of received a full refund..

Lets hope you feel well enough to try cruising again, but be sure to take out the travel insurance, it covers things like this.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 13th, 2009, 07:59 AM
First Mate

Why is it the one hit wonders that have such bad problems... Never mind I know they are venting and I am very sorry about their condition.. but it does get so tiring.
Old March 13th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Admiral

Sorry, but I have to agree as well. Read the contract, then buy insurance if you're not willing to take the chance on losing your money.

Ken
"SKY"
Old March 13th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Shirley Jones

Another good case for having that all IMPORTANT INSURANCE just a few more dollars would have saved you a lot and I hope you are well and doing much much better GOD BLESS AND KEEP YOU
Conquest 3/10
Ecstasy 6/11
Magic 11/11
Old March 13th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsfamily
Why is it the one hit wonders that have such bad problems... Never mind I know they are venting and I am very sorry about their condition.. but it does get so tiring.
They think they are doing us a service by warning us of their bad experience. You know, "if you can be a shining example at least be a horribble warning". Those of us that are active here should try to remember that everybody is a rookie once.

Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Old March 13th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Admiral

About insurance, I have to chime in. Having compared that which the cruise lines provide and the independent companies, the independents do seem to have better plans with higher limits, so in my humble opinion it is advisable to go with an independent company, especially since the cost is similar to cruise line insurance, and it will also cover your flight, and if you prepaid it, your hotel stay as well.
Old March 13th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Captain

First I am glad you are feeling better and wish you well.

As a frequent cruiser and an insurance underwriter (Not travel though)I am very surprised that your Travel Agent did not offer the insurance.

For example:

When I booked my upcoming Fascination cruise my T/A automatically quoted it with the insurance and had I wanted to opt out I would have had to sign form to decline the insurance.

I suspect he/she might have mentioned it and you decided to opt out.

This is a case of "You don't pay the money and you take your chances".

Don't give up on cruising. Instead just get the insurance. Incidentally you can shop for these policies at insuremytrip.com. It is worth reseaching in advance. You don't have to take the cruise lines or the travel agents policy, but you do have to get the policy soon after you book . I think within 24 hours in some cases to be sure it covers pre existing conditions. This is important your case.

Best Wishes,
RCI Monarch of The Seas 1998
Ecstasy 2000
Carnival Miracle 9/24/07
Upcoming Fascination 11/5/09
Old March 13th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Captain

Somebody should have replied to the poster to get insurance. Wait a minute, I think all 15 replies mentioned insurance. Wonder if he got the message. If not, get the insurance!
1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Freedom of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream
2012-Allure of the Seas and Navigator of the Seas
Old March 13th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Admiral

I am more curious about their "cruise organizer" who told them they could "resell" their cruise to someone else.

Every TA worth their salt would know that this is not allowed.

Sorry the OP had a problem, but Carnival did not RIP OFF anyone.

As sorry as I am for the OP, I am really tired of people making irresponsible decisions and then wanting to blame someone else.

Our society is becoming a nation of "victims".

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old March 13th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Admiral

Truth is there are unscrupulous travel agents out there who try to make money by reselling a canceled cruise for a profit. Travel agents who really know their stuff know they usually make a 30-50% commission off of travel insurance so they have incentive to recommend it. It is also recommended to avoid any travel agent who claims to host through any know card mill, such as YTB. Run a google search for card mills as you will understand what this means.
Old March 13th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Admiral

I agree with the others that insurance would have been the right thing to do. While I wish the OP a speedy recovery, I also don't think that trashing the cruise line was justified. And, it could have been almost any cruise line. The TA was so bad, I would have been furious with them, and myself for not reading fine print. Which I do for everything.
My only complaint in this area is that you often don't have access to that fine print until after you have booked. If you have lots of time, then you can cancel in time. But, being frequent last minute bookers, heaven help me if they ever change the fine print, since I rely on all the previous times I have read it!
Marty
Old March 13th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

ALWAYS ALWAYS Get travel insurance. It's better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

Carnival Legend:Western Caribbean
RCCL - Explorer of the seas: Bermuda - April 08
NCL - Spirit: Eastern Caribbean - April 07
Old March 13th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Admiral

I book well in advance so things like this do not come up, plus I also take the insurance as well, and I will specifically request it. Some travel agents will also assume automatically that none of their clients want it so do not ask them about it.
Old March 13th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Admiral

Actually, in my experience, the opposite is true. Agents add it on automatically. I always ask and then have them remove it as I get my own a lot cheaper. I don't tell them that, but I just say "no thanks".
Marty
Old March 13th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Admiral

Marty, in most cases that is true. But there are those agents whose clients take insurance infrequently enough they just start assuming. I was just making a note of the exception, not the rule.
Old March 13th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Admiral

We may never hear from the OP again - I think they were just venting, but as somebody pointed out there is a great deal of culpability with the TA or tour organizer. They resold the cabin, so they got theirs twice, once from the OP and once from the person who dropped $1200 CASH.

Old March 13th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Admiral

Which of course makes true professionals look bad.
Old March 13th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Before the end of the first converstaion a travel agency has with a client, they should talk about insurance......A gambler rolls the dice, and takes a chance, a cruise shouldn't....

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 13th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I also agree, the word "resell" strikes me as odd for someone to tell a potential customer when booking a cruise....I'm also wondering if they offered the travel insurance??

The thing that bugs me is putting the blame on Carnival or any other cruiseline for that matter, when its spelled out when booking. I know, who likes to read all the fine print, but any good travel agent working with someone that has never cruised should of explained how it all works and let them know, its a good idea to get travel protection...

I see nothing wrong with the way Carnival handled this....yea, you like to hear, they feel sorry for you and return all your money, but it doesn't work like that, can you just imagine if it did. Cruises would be booked like crazy and for whatever reason, you could cancel and get your money back??

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 13th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Admiral

This just vindicates reputable travel agents. My advice would be for first timers to locate a travel agency with a good history of service.
There are many variables to cruise ships which an experienced & honest TA would know to address.
and NO....I'm NOT a TA, but I do utilize one !

/ticker.png">