Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 19th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Passenger

Default Carnival Cruise passenger in ICU

This is on one of our Atlanta news sites today, thought you all might find it interesting.
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/18960448/detail.html
Sponsored Links
Old March 19th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Carnival Cruise passenger in ICU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdudley13
This is on one of our Atlanta news sites today, thought you all might find it interesting.
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/18960448/detail.html
Where was their travel insurance. Isn't this the situation that it's for?

I will never ever defend as cruiseline, but ............... if ever there is a case to prove the need for travel/medical insurance this is it.
Old March 19th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Admiral

Gee they cruised from the tropics around the cape and people got sick? There is a big difference between Rio and Antartica.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old March 19th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Admiral

another one-sided article aimed at bashing a cruiseline; holy heck a respiratory illness could have come from anywhere; i.e. the flight to the cruise; at the port; in the hotel... seems like reporters never take the time to do a little research

again, where is the travel insurance
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old March 19th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Admiral

This article left me with a lot of questions. How old is the father? Did he have a pre existing condition that could have put he in a weakened state? Did he get the proper shots before traveling to these countries? Was he sick before the cruise? Where did he go while in port? Is there an outbreak in any of the countries visited? How many other people were sick on this cruise? Did regularly wash his hands? Did he have trip insurance? Why is the daughter's first concern this:

Quote:
Fessenden wants the cruise line to help with the thousands of dollars in out of pocket expenses for her mother while she stays in Chile.
People cruising the Splendor next shouldn't worry all the smog in LA will kill any "illness" on the ship.

another quote from the article:

Quote:
A local family says an Atlanta man is in critical condition in Chile and is too sick to come home after taking a cruise on a brand new ship. His family said he got sick on board along with a lot of other people, but the cruise line tells a different story.
How does the paper know that "a lot of other people" got sick. It was a month long cruise. People could have caught a cold on the plane to the ship and been sick. This article doesn't talk about the type of illness in the other people or how many or if any others required medical attention. If the article was going to talk about the "other people" they should have some facts to support the statement.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old March 19th, 2009, 12:09 PM
First Mate

Plus, the final question should be, "why do people expect the cruiseline to pick up any and all expenses related to this man's illness?" I can't believe the entitlement game. I feel badly for them; certainly this is awful for them, but why should the cruise line pay all associated costs?
I don't work for Carnival either.
Old March 19th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Admiral

susie,
I totally agree. People get sick everywhere. But, if they are on vacation, and happen to be on a cruise, they want the cruise line to pay for everything. Guess they want their vacation to really be "all inclusive".
Marty
Old March 19th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Admiral

Have you ever noticed a great many of these basher stories are inexperienced or first time cruisers taking their "Dream Cruise" apparently with very little research? They say no thanks to the insurance to save a few bucks and then expect a cruiseline to cover their unexpected expenses.
I am sorry the man is ill but his expense is his own.
56 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam
Old March 19th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ainsley

If you watch the video its an elderly man. It also shows pictures of the man, his wife, and their daughter..

This is insane. I hate how alot of new people think they know the in's and out's of the cruise industry when they book their first cruise when in reality they need to do a lot more investigating on different matters of "what if's"
Carnival Conquest-02.22.04
Carnival Conquest-02.06.05
Carnival Legend-3.25.06
Royal Caribbean Sovereign OTS-4.16.07
Carnival Fantasy 4.28.08
Carnival Fantasy 10.27.08
Norwegian Pearl 3.13.11
Carnival Elation 11.14.11

Future Cruises
Carnival Ecstasy 5.21.12
Old March 20th, 2009, 12:50 AM
Cruise Maniac

I always get the insurance. Leaving on Freedom in 22 days and I was just looking at the insurance email. It includes medical evacuation.

Now he may be too sick to travel, but I would rather be evac'd home than be treated in certain places.

Flu Outbreak can happen anywhere anytime.
Old March 20th, 2009, 06:33 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ainsley
This is insane. I hate how alot of new people think they know the in's and out's of the cruise industry when they book their first cruise when in reality they need to do a lot more investigating on different matters of "what if's"
The same can be said about lots of different industries. As someone who works in the aviation/airline industry, I see tons of news that gets mis-reported, or facts are conveniently omitted.

Upcoming:

Grandeur of the Seas, April 2009
Old March 20th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

Renal failure? That has nothing to do with Respiratory stuff and is certainly not contagious. That sounds like he had kidney issues he didn't know about.

03/30/2009 ~ Carnival Ecstasy
09/14/2008 ~ Carnival Legend
03/2008 Carnival Victory
09/2007 Carnival Elation
06/2007 Carnival Liberty
09/2006 Carnival Ectasy
12/2004 Carnival Conquest
Old March 21st, 2009, 10:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

My wife and I just disembarked from the Carnival Splendor today. We boarded this beautiful ship in Valparaiso, Chile. We immediately noticed that most of the passengers were seniors and many were not in the best of health to begin with. I ate in the main dinning room for breakfast and talked with many passengers who had been on the ship since Ft. Lauderdale, FL. Seems like many of them had been ill at some point during the cruise with an upper respiratory infection (URI). I couldn't help but notice the drone of coughing while in the Spectacular Spectacular Lounge during the shows. Maybe Carnival is downplaying the number of ill passengers on this cruise but one would expect that age may have played a role in many people were effected by it. My wife and I always purchase the Carnival Insurance in case something goes wrong. It's a small price to pay should you need help far from home.