Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 21st, 2009, 12:37 AM
Beginner

Default Passport Cards

Has anyone done a cruise with the new Passport Card instead of the normal Passport? The information I read said it was good for land and sea but not air travel. Our cruise is going to Grand Turks and Nassau and the passport cards will be cheaper for my granddaughter but want to make sure she won't run into any problems with it at any of the foreign ports. They are less expensive than the normal Passport.

Thanks in advance for any responders to this inquiry.
Sponsored Links
Old March 21st, 2009, 03:24 AM
Passenger

Send a message via ICQ to luv2cruze Send a message via AIM to luv2cruze

I'm certainly hoping they work as they are advertised too! We are leaving on our cruise in just a couple of weeks and that's what my husband and I have. We also found the passports were a lot more expensive than the cards and if your trip doesn't include any foreign air travel, you should be fine - at least that's what we were told... ... fingers crossed!!
5/05 - Glory to Western Caribbean
Old March 21st, 2009, 04:37 AM
First Mate

The cards are very limited in what they can be used for... but sea travel is one. The card can be used on a cruise that does not require visa's... most places in the carib. If you have a problem and have to fly home from another country you may find yourself in some trouble. It can be used to go to Canada and Mexico by land and certain cruises.
Old March 21st, 2009, 10:30 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CruiseNOID

The way I look at, yes it is a lot of initial upfront cost but it is for a period of 10 year. Which is really 12.50 per year. Do you really want to play roulette for something you can not forsee. What if you got hurt needing air flight back to home, even if it is just Mexico.

I know that it is cheaper and doing more than one in a pretty good chunk of money and yes, 9 times out of 10 everything goes without a hitch but can you predict when you have the flu, a cold, or an accident? Did you ever have a car accident that you planned?

My opinion is do the passport book. It just ranks right there with the travel insurance.

Carnival Inspiration 8/2009
Carnival Fascination 8/2008
Old March 21st, 2009, 11:32 AM
First Mate

Passport cards are basically government issued ID and proof of citizenship. The only country that legally must accept it under International law is... the United States. It can be used only for maritime and land borders and only where a passport isn't required for entry.

If you miss your first port and must fly to the next port. Or if you have to fly home in an emergency, the passport cards are essentially useless.
Old March 21st, 2009, 07:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

The only use for that document will be to enter Canada, and that will ONLY be until June of this year. June is when Canada is implementing a passport required rule.

Once the US government stands firm on June 2009 then it won't even get you back into the US. June 2009 is when you are all supposed to have a passport to leave and to return.

As a Canadian, a passport is needed to go on any cruise or air, but we will require a passport for land crossings in starting June 2009.

Break down and get the passport. Your passportas are good for 10 years and if it costs $100, think of it as $10 a year.....My Canadan passport is good for 5 years.

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old March 21st, 2009, 07:44 PM
First Mate

The Canadian government will be accepting the passport card or enhanced drivers licences for land and sea crossings, but not for air. For air, passports will be required. Nexus and FAST are also accepted, but not relevant for most travellers.

Closed loop, open loop, hula hoop... that's what is required as of the 1st of June.
Old March 21st, 2009, 08:06 PM
Passenger

Send a message via ICQ to luv2cruze Send a message via AIM to luv2cruze

This information is taken directly from the US Department of State/Travel regarding the passport card:

We began production of the U.S. Passport Card on July 14, 2008. To date, we have issued over 900,000 U.S. Passport Cards. Applications for the U.S. Passport Card are being processed in approximately 4 weeks from the time of application.

The wallet-size passport card is convenient and less expensive than the passport book. However, the U.S. Passport Card cannot be used for international air travel. This new travel document can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry.
5/05 - Glory to Western Caribbean
Old March 22nd, 2009, 04:26 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Passport Cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickandsheila
Has anyone done a cruise with the new Passport Card instead of the normal Passport? The information I read said it was good for land and sea but not air travel. Our cruise is going to Grand Turks and Nassau and the passport cards will be cheaper for my granddaughter but want to make sure she won't run into any problems with it at any of the foreign ports. They are less expensive than the normal Passport.

Thanks in advance for any responders to this inquiry.
If your cruise is in a couple of weeks your birth certificate and drivers license would have been all you needed, or for your granddaughter just her birth certificate if she is under 16.

Bill