Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 23rd, 2009, 01:05 AM
Passenger

Default Wrangler jeans guy stressing about formal night

We are due to leave next Sat. on Destiny. We are not fancy guys and are sort of stressing about formal night. Do I really need to bring a suit. If so I will but I feel like a fish out of water wearing one. Comments...
Sponsored Links
Old March 23rd, 2009, 02:12 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Wrangler jeans guy stressing about formal night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latigo
We are due to leave next Sat. on Destiny. We are not fancy guys and are sort of stressing about formal night. Do I really need to bring a suit. If so I will but I feel like a fish out of water wearing one. Comments...
There are many things you can do... like go to the Lido and eat that night.
If going to the dining room you need to take a suit or at least a sport coat and tie. Many do dress up and it might be kinda embarrassing to show up way under dressed.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 08:24 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to RockChickX51

My boyfriend is a skater type guy that NEVER dresses up. His attire is jeans and a t-shirt and skate shoes, all the time 24/7.

On formal night on this last cruise we went on he just brought a black and white pinstripe long sleeve button up shirt and black Dickies pants.
Not exactly FORMAL but dressed up enough and no one said a word to him.

Then at the last minute he decided he didn't want to eat in the dining room LoL so we just walked around the boat dressed up.

I don't dress up either and on "formal" night I had a black pair of Dickies pants on and a long sleeved button up shirt untucked and a pair of maryjane shoes.

Carnival Liberty - May 2009
Carnival Inspiration - October 2008
Old March 23rd, 2009, 10:35 AM
Captain

Dressing down for formal night shows a lack of class in my opinion. Eat at the lido that night. Nobody is asking for suit and tie but a nice shirt and slacks isnt too much to ask. People are judged by their appearance. Although it may not be fair its the way of the world.
1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Freedom of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream
2012-Allure of the Seas and Navigator of the Seas
Old March 23rd, 2009, 11:35 AM
Passenger

I am on Destiny leaving the 28th as well.
My g/f is bringing a cocktail dress and i'll be in a suit.

What about dress for the other nights. From what i've read it says that its more casual now so we will be fine in jeans and a button up, is this correct or do i need to be more business casual?
Old March 23rd, 2009, 11:47 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdudley13

What about dress for the other nights. From what i've read it says that its more casual now so we will be fine in jeans and a button up, is this correct or do i need to be more business casual?
It's sad to say that other than the "formal" night you will be fine. When people with ballcaps on and almost t-shirts are fine, then you will be fine. i don't dress up everyday BUT do try something nice to go to the dining room. As has been stated if not up to it go to the Lido.. almost anything goes.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 12:45 PM
Passenger

Sounds good. I will go business casual the first night at least and see how everyone else is dressed, then go accordingly for the rest of the week. Thank you for the input.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 01:00 PM
Admiral

Carnival is more tolerant than some other lines.
My formal night recommendation would be slacks, sports coat, button/collared shirt...and you should fit in just fine.
Me... I love my suit & tie combo, BUT I understand some prefer differently.

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Old March 23rd, 2009, 01:22 PM
Admiral

On Carnival, even the sport coat is optional, even on "formal" nights. On other cruise lines, you would be out of place with less than a suit or tux, but I think that it is great that there are cruise lines that are, um, "suited" to different styles and lifestyles. If you don't want to go truly formal, then Carnival is fine for that. My hubby prefers that himself. I would recommend slacks rather than jeans, and definitely a nice button down or comparable shirt. Hate to say it, but maybe even a tie?
Marty
Old March 23rd, 2009, 03:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

Not to worry, Anything goes now. Tuxedo to jeans, all are accetable on so called formal night. Let every man decide for himself. Its your vacation
Old March 23rd, 2009, 03:14 PM
Passenger

Thanks everyone. I've got the suit ready to go
Old March 23rd, 2009, 03:37 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdudley13

Carnival's new casual night policy includes jeans in good condition. So you will be within the dining room dress code. No worries.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old March 23rd, 2009, 03:41 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by conway scott
Not to worry, Anything goes now. Tuxedo to jeans, all are accetable on so called formal night. Let every man decide for himself. Its your vacation
I would say that according to Carnival's site no jeans on Elegant night (Carnival no longer has formal night). My hubby goes tux. However, what the others have said to right slack, sport jacket, and tie is all you need. We cruise enough that the tux is easier for my hubby.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old March 23rd, 2009, 05:56 PM
First Mate

No one hates to dress up more than I do, but it's a matter of respect. The Formal / Elegant nights were set up so people would have the experience of a nice classy evening. A type of night most will never see outside of prom night or another cruise. For the most part, it works and everyone feels really good.

Now and then, you get the jeans and the Van Halan or Dodgers T-Shirts at the next table and the illusion is blown. Society has become far less formal so go ahead and enjoy it every day. But if you're going to enjoy the ambiance of the dining room on formal night, at least dress up a little to support the experience for everyone else.

2012 Carnival Destiny
2011 Carnival Splendor
2011 Carnival Pride
2010 Carnival Legend (w/ Hurricane Paula)
2010 Carnival Imagination
2009 Carnival Valor
2008 Carnival Freedom
2008 Carnival Facination
2007 Carnival Triumph
2006 Carnival Miracle
2005 Carnival Victory
2002 Carnival Imagination
Old March 23rd, 2009, 07:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Consider the dining room on par with a fine restaurant, or your best friends wedding ....jmho

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 23rd, 2009, 09:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

I want to applaud Latigo for getting a suit for formal night. You'll be glad you did and so will everyone around you.
I've learned that almost the only thing that can make a cruise into a bad cruise is a bad attitude (really rough seas is the other). The selfish attitudes of the people who "wear what I want cuz I paid for this cruise" are usually the same ones you hear complaining about everything else. If they only new the fun they were missing out on.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 10:24 PM
Admiral

As a rule I wear a suit a couple of times a week. So when It comes to Elegant/Formal night on a cruise I'm comfortable with it and I usually break out my really nice suits. DW dons her nicest formal gowns and we have fun dressing up. We believe it adds to the whole cruise experience.
Old March 24th, 2009, 09:58 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to MrPete

Quote:
Thanks everyone. I've got the suit ready to go
You made the right choice!
Past Cruises: Explorer of the Seas 2008 Explorer of the Seas 2007 Carnival Victory 2007 Explorer of the Seas 2006 Legend 2005 Miracle 2004 Disney Wonder 2004; Pride 2003 Legend 2002 Disney Wonder 2002 Destiny 2001 Victory 2000 Triumph 1999 Jubilee 1998 Imagination 1997 Imagination 1996 Fascination 1995 Ecstasy 1993 Fantasy 1990 Jubilee 1990 NCL Seaward 1989 Jubilee 1988
Old March 24th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to justgr8fl2cruise

From the Carnival website....

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs). Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, and sleeveless shirts for men.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too! Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

HAL-M.S. Noordam 1987 ....Alaska
CCL-Elation 1998 ....Mexican Riviera
NCL-Norwegian Star 2002 ....Hawaii
CCL-Carnival Conquest 2004 ....Western Carribean
CCL-Carnival Miracle 2006 ....Western Carribean
CCL-Carnival Spirit 2007 ....Alaska
CCL-Carnival Spirit 2009 ....Mexican Riviera
Old March 24th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Wrangler jeans guy stressing about formal night

Quote:
You will see everything from tuxes to khakis, white shirt and tie. On Formal night I would not go any less casual than that....but a "suit" is not required.

Hubby also wears his custom cowboy boots every night.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old March 24th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Admiral

At least be courteous enough to wear a sport coat.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old March 24th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Dress like Mehawk and you will be just fine. 8)

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old March 24th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

Don't I saw a family on formal night on the Valor that were dressed casual. The father was wearing khaki pants and a nascar Tshirt and the mother was very similar, except she had capri pants on. Their kid didn't care, he wore board shorts and a tshirt!

Remember, it is YOUR vacation, do what you want to do! I don't care what others think about what I am wearing. I am not there to please anyone else!!!!

You have other choices that would make you fit in a little better. Do you have black jeans, that would be more than adequate with a dressy shirt and bolo tie.

Lido is an option, but the dining room food is better!!!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....