Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 23rd, 2009, 11:35 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Martha C
Default More Newbie Questions!

Well after many years of talking about it the DH and I have booked our first cruise. We are sailing 12/6/09 on Elation. Got a great deal and could not pass it by. I have read all through this forum and have received some great tips. I really had about a 100 questions, but reading through the board has chopped that down to just a few....well for now. On shore excursions - is Catalina or Ensenada tendered? Is the sea rougher in December? Does anyone know what the weather is like at that time of year in either port or while at sea? I am thinking sundress in the day and a sweater at night or is it chilly? I live in the desert and know it gets cold here in December. We are staying in a CAT 12 cabin. I just read a complaint from someone about cigarette smoke on the balconies? Is this a big problem? I am an ex-smoker and you know how we can be? Lol! I just think it shouldn't be that big of a deal as long as the ship is moving. But, never having been on a cruise, who am I to know for sure.
Thank you all so much for the assist! I feel much more comfortable taking a cruise.
Also, where do you get those cute banners that show your sail date. Love them!!

Sponsored Links
Old March 23rd, 2009, 11:58 AM
First Mate

I have not been on the West Coast cruise so I can't help much there, but I have cruised with a balcony several times.

Twice we were near smokers. It wasn't a big deal though. The smoke was not a problem at all when the ship was moving. Just an occasional brief smell and then only if the smoker is up wind. It can get a little thick in port but there was only a couple of times on all of our cruises that we decided to leave our balcony because of the smoke.

The Elation is a smaller ship with a limited number of balconies so I think your chances are pretty good that you will have clean air. We never smelled any smoke when we had a balcony on the Fascination. It has the same general configuration.

2012 Carnival Destiny
2011 Carnival Splendor
2011 Carnival Pride
2010 Carnival Legend (w/ Hurricane Paula)
2010 Carnival Imagination
2009 Carnival Valor
2008 Carnival Freedom
2008 Carnival Facination
2007 Carnival Triumph
2006 Carnival Miracle
2005 Carnival Victory
2002 Carnival Imagination
Old March 23rd, 2009, 12:59 PM
Admiral

The west coast can be a little chilly in December. The Arctic current runs down the coastline. The seas are usually calm and it will be warmer in Ensenada. But, take a light jacket or, better, a wind breaker. You will want something, especially up on deck or on your balcony in the evening. And, if it does rain, the rain will be cold. So, disposable ponchos are a good item to have. I carry them on all cruises, since rain is so not going to stop me from going to see the sights on any cruise.
Hope you have a great time. Ask as many questions as you want to.
Marty