CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Holiday-condition? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/362692-holiday-condition.html)

badknees March 23rd, 2009 03:24 PM

Holiday-condition?

We are booked for a 4 day cruise on Holiday May 14. I was on the ship a few years ago and enjoyed the trip but am now hearing,from our travel agent, how run down it has gotten. Would cruisers from recent trips care to comment on how the old girl is doing? It is a quick get away on an old ship so I am not expecting world class but am hoping it is at least satisfactory. Thanks.

Snoozeman March 23rd, 2009 05:21 PM

I understand it's getting some TLC in drydock. I too would like hear about any improvements. I'd like to sneak in a cruise on the Holiday.

Thoth March 24th, 2009 12:03 AM

Good question :!: I'll be go on her 25 April.

badknees March 24th, 2009 12:55 AM

Thoth, would you please report as soon as you get back. I shall be checking to see what you thought. It doesn't have to be in depth just in general unless you want to write more. I hope it's good news. Thanks.

Gary & Deb March 24th, 2009 05:16 PM

We are booked for April 6 leaving out of Mobile. We understand it has had a complete facelift since used by fema after the hurricane. Hopefully that is correct. I know it has some years on her!

Thoth March 25th, 2009 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badknees
Thoth, would you please report as soon as you get back. I shall be checking to see what you thought. It doesn't have to be in depth just in general unless you want to write more. I hope it's good news. Thanks.

I sure will report back my findings !
Be forewarned I do tend to be a glass half full kind of guy. 8)

mrspair March 26th, 2009 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thoth
Quote:

I sure will report back my findings !
Be forewarned I do tend to be a glass half full kind of guy. 8)

My family and I will be traveling on her in June, I too have sailed her 3 times and all was wonderful!!! Now I am anxious to here how the condition is. I do realize that she is older and won't expect 5 star, but I just want to have a good time away from home, work, and everyday life. :D

Gary&JoAnn March 26th, 2009 03:18 PM

I have sailed the holiday before and she doesn't have the glamour of the larger ships but she has character and a friendly crew. I really liked the little ship. A change of pace from the larger ships. We will book her in Oct before she is sent away. I'm sure she will be in good condition. Happy Sailing!!!

badknees March 26th, 2009 04:44 PM

Thanks everyone for responding. And I really appreciate your upbeat attitude. That can make a big difference when everything isn't perfect. We will have a good time.

Thoth March 27th, 2009 12:02 AM

Quote:

We will have a good time.

Oh yeah 8) I know I plan on having a good time.

mrspair March 27th, 2009 10:32 AM

Quote:

Quote:

ME TOO!!!!! LOL

Thoth March 27th, 2009 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrspair
Quote:

Quote:

ME TOO!!!!! LOL

It's hard NOT to have a good time on a cruise ship. The fellow pax alone will keep one's spirits up . 8)

rebster59 March 28th, 2009 10:03 AM

We're going April 16th! I don't know the condition of the ship,but some people I know of just went and said they had a great time,anyway...so must not be all bad![/b]

badknees March 28th, 2009 12:25 PM

It would be nice if everyone who is going cruising on Holiday wrote back and at least gave a general impression of the condition and how much they enjoyed what was offered. I would love to hear about it. But don't feel obligated.
I tried to do a cruise review once and it got to be so long I finally gave up. It would have been good but I think it was too soon after the trip. I have a tendency to kind of crash for a few days after we do something. It won't be quite the same with this cruise as it is a short one and we can do the drive to the port in less than two hours. It makes more of a difference having to fly or make a long drive to the port and take a longer cruise. But we always love the cruise. I have not had a bad one yet even when I did one with four women in one cabin. I had fun but would never do it again.

Gail4cruising April 11th, 2009 12:13 PM

Will be going on April 16th also, packing today! Will report back in when I get back with info on the condition. I have heard this ship has won a lot of awards regarding their service.

Thoth April 11th, 2009 11:39 PM

2 weeks from today !! 8)

rebster59 April 12th, 2009 03:14 PM

What shore excursions are ya'll going on? We want to do the zipline then Passion Island...

Thoth April 12th, 2009 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rebster59
What shore excursions are ya'll going on? We want to do the zipline then Passion Island...

I'm going somewhere called chicken pizza :-? No it's called Chichen Itza...a Mayan city so famous LOL
In Cozumel, I'm driving a Jeep.

Gary & Deb April 13th, 2009 11:22 AM

We just returned last saturday from a 5 day cruise on the Holiday. Overall we had a great trip but like some have mentioned she is an old ship and there is alot of vibrations if your room is in the rear. If noises bother you I would take a 'noise machine'. Probably the thing that I noticed the most was the brown water and the shower temp was hard to regulate. One night we took a cold shower because we couldn't get any hot water. The ship looks great for her age and the service was very good but like alot of us, the older we get the creeker we get. Overall we had a great cruise and I know you will too. :D

Thoth April 13th, 2009 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary & Deb
We just returned last saturday from a 5 day cruise on the Holiday. Overall we had a great trip but like some have mentioned she is an old ship and there is alot of vibrations if your room is in the rear. If noises bother you I would take a 'noise machine'. Probably the thing that I noticed the most was the brown water and the shower temp was hard to regulate. One night we took a cold shower because we couldn't get any hot water. The ship looks great for her age and the service was very good but like alot of us, the older we get the creeker we get. Overall we had a great cruise and I know you will too. :D

So was she the step down from the bigger/newer "Fun ships" ?
vibrations in the rear ? :shock: Oh no ! My room cannot be more in the rear....212 has a window view of the wake of all things.
I'll pack some ear-plugs and extra Dramamine...just to be safe. :idea: No no hopefully it was not THAT bad . :roll:

Gary & Deb April 13th, 2009 02:07 PM

She is still a "fun ship" and I know you will have a great time but there are some differences in a large ship and a small ship.

badknees April 13th, 2009 04:09 PM

I appreciate the imput Gary and Deb. I am looking forward to a STRESS FREE trip. We are aft too but I like the noise. However we usually keep the noise machine handy just in case it gets too noisy as in people noise and in case we want to take a nap.

Gail4cruising May 3rd, 2009 07:28 PM

We just came back on the 20th on Holiday. It was much better than I expected. The only thing that bothered us was the brown water you would see at times. There was a lot of vibrations on the ship but we didn't mind. I am glad to say I did get to go out on her once before she goes away this winter. It however is a big change from being on the larger boats......not as many food lines to pick from-they were pretty backed up up on Lido most of the time. Service was great on the ship-all the workers were very good and very friendly. The cruise director (Tory) was out at the events more than I have noticed other cruise directors on other ships. Also, there was a sail away party up on Lido- the last 4-5 Carnival cruises we have been on have not been having the actual employee-led sail away party up on Lido deck as the ship left port.

Thoth May 3rd, 2009 10:49 PM

Here's my review.......
" On 25 April 2009 I sailed on the Carnival Holiday out of Mobile, AL. This was my 9th cruise and 5th “Fun Ship” vacation. The objective was to sail on this older class of vessel before they are completely replaced. There are those who claim that this ship is a frumpy rust bucket and seem eager to see her leave the fleet in November. That assessment is largely incorrect based my experience traveling on her. For the most part the ship has been maintained in a lovely condition and doesn’t look her age.
Embarkation in Mobile could not have been more efficient. I arrived at the car park at 1200 and was on the ship 20 minutes later. The Mobile staff was absolutely fabulous in showing good old fashioned Southern hospitality. The city is very proud to have a ship to call its own, and that showed. Finding the ship from I-10 was easy enough, however I do recommend a more prominent “turn here” sign at exit 26A.
Debarkation was very much the same story….fast & polite.
Southern hospitality seems to carry over onto the ship itself. Being relatively small compared to the newer “Fun Ships,” the Holiday posses a small town atmosphere. Clearly a passenger is a name, not simply a number.
Being a relatively smaller has both advantages as well as disadvantages. Everything is close walking distance, meaning that getting from one’s cabin to the dining room then on to the show lounge is never overwhelming. Getting lost isn’t the problem that it is on the mega-ships. Another advantage is the camaraderie of passengers and personal attention given by the staff. Out of 9 cruises, I would rate Tory as my favorite cruise director. Her 3 social hosts were most personable in making time to befriend guest.
The 2 production shows were to most everyone’s likening. The first show presenting primarily a rock n’ roll theme. The second was totally country western which catered appropriately to a Southern US clientele. The grand finality was a touching version of Lee Greenwood’s “proud to be an American”. Everyone took to their feet in enthusiasm.
The food, as always, was very much to my liking. Continuity is a Carnival strength and the menu is no different. The warm melted chocolate cake is offered every night fleet wide.
The most noticeable disadvantage to being only 46,000 tons is the relatively rough ride. She traveled a bumpy road…at least on my sailing she did. Unfortunately I had an aft/stern cabin where I felt the engines, wenches, and other commotions. Stay way clear of Upper deck aft staterooms! A minor issue is the poor sightlines in the Americana Theater. Get there early if you prefer a good view.
All things considered, it will be sad to see this vestige of Carnival’s past sail out of the fleet. "

mrspair May 4th, 2009 09:38 AM

Quote:

Here's my review.......
" On 25 April 2009 I sailed on the Carnival Holiday out of Mobile, AL. This was my 9th cruise and 5th “Fun Ship” vacation. The objective was to sail on this older class of vessel before they are completely replaced. There are those who claim that this ship is a frumpy rust bucket and seem eager to see her leave the fleet in November. That assessment is largely incorrect based my experience traveling on her. For the most part the ship has been maintained in a lovely condition and doesn’t look her age.
Embarkation in Mobile could not have been more efficient. I arrived at the car park at 1200 and was on the ship 20 minutes later. The Mobile staff was absolutely fabulous in showing good old fashioned Southern hospitality. The city is very proud to have a ship to call its own, and that showed. Finding the ship from I-10 was easy enough, however I do recommend a more prominent “turn here” sign at exit 26A.
Southern hospitality seems to carry over onto the ship itself. Being relatively small compared to the newer “Fun Ships,” the Holiday posses a small town atmosphere. Clearly a passenger is a name, not simply a number.
Being a relatively smaller has both advantages as well as disadvantages. Everything is close walking distance, meaning that getting from one’s cabin to the dining room then on to the show lounge is never overwhelming. Getting lost isn’t the problem that it is on the mega-ships. Another advantage is the camaraderie of passengers and personal attention given by the staff. Out of 9 cruises, I would rate Tory as my favorite cruise director. Her 3 social hosts were most personable in making time to befriend guest.
The 2 production shows were to most everyone’s likening. The first show presenting primarily a rock n’ roll theme. The second was totally country western which catered appropriately to a Southern US clientele. The grand finality was a touching version of Lee Greenwood’s “proud to be an American”. Everyone took to their feet in enthusiasm.
The food, as always, was very much to my liking. Continuity is a Carnival strength and the menu is no different. The warm melted chocolate cake is offered every night fleet wide.
The most noticeable disadvantage to being only 46,000 tons is the relatively rough ride. She traveled a bumpy road…at least on my sailing she did. Unfortunately I had an aft/stern cabin where I felt the engines, wenches, and other commotions. Stay way clear of Upper deck aft staterooms! A minor issue is the poor sightlines in the Americana Theater. Get there early if you prefer a good view.
All things considered, it will be sad to see this vestige of Carnival’s past sail out of the fleet. "

Thanks so much, for your review. We sail out on June 15 on a 5 day. We are very excited. I have been waiting for your review. It is much appreciated and it is good to here something positive about the Holiday. This will be my 4th cruise on her and all previous cruises have been GREAT!!! Thanks again for the positive review, looking forward to next month!

Thoth May 4th, 2009 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrspair
Quote:

Here's my review.......

Thanks so much, for your review. We sail out on June 15 on a 5 day. We are very excited. I have been waiting for your review. It is much appreciated and it is good to here something positive about the Holiday. This will be my 4th cruise on her and all previous cruises have been GREAT!!! Thanks again for the positive review, looking forward to next month!

have fun !! one thing to consider is those aft cabins on the Upper deck which were very loud with engines, winches, or whatever.

beninhsv May 5th, 2009 02:21 PM

I just got off the Holiday yesterday. The ship is in decent enough shape, for its age........we had no complaints about the condition. The staff is excellent.........couldn't have asked for better. My biggest issue (other than having to go to Key West, instead of Mexico) was the food. It was mediocre at best....suffice it to say that I would never go to a restaurant and pay for the food that we were served. We have cruised before and thought we were going to gain 15lbs, but instead, we barely ate, except in Key West when we made up for it!

Thoth May 5th, 2009 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beninhsv
I just got off the Holiday yesterday. The ship is in decent enough shape, for its age........we had no complaints about the condition. The staff is excellent.........couldn't have asked for better. My biggest issue (other than having to go to Key West, instead of Mexico) was the food. It was mediocre at best....suffice it to say that I would never go to a restaurant and pay for the food that we were served. We have cruised before and thought we were going to gain 15lbs, but instead, we barely ate, except in Key West when we made up for it!

Did you eat in the 4 Winds or 7 Seas? I found the food there to be quit good. But let's face it, it's the same food they served on the other "Fun Ships". The Lido food was more limited than the bigger ones.
Did you like Tory ? I enjoyed her as well as Rachel, Kaylyn, and Richie. Fun bunch !

beninhsv May 5th, 2009 07:17 PM

We ate in the aft dining room....7 seas...i think. I was on the Conquest a few years ago back when it was in New Orleans and the food on there was amazingly good! Trying to figure out the next cruise to go on.....a new ship is gonna be porting in Mobile.....may do that one in November.

Gary & Deb May 5th, 2009 09:14 PM

Do you know which ship will be sailing out of Mobile and when?