Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 1st, 2009, 01:14 PM
Passenger

Default cell phone and PDA coverage on the Valor

I read that cell phones work on the ships. Can anyone explain this? Can I really use my cell phone in the middle of the sea? I understand that there are international roaming fees. Does anyone know where I can find out how much?

WRT PDAs (I have a treo) that receives and sends emails through a goodlink server. Will that work on the ship or in the Ports? It did work when I was in Punta Cana.
Sponsored Links
Old April 1st, 2009, 01:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Yes, my cellphone worked on my last cruise on the Miracle. We left NY and it worked all the way into the Caribean. That was the good news, the bas news was the bill when I got home, over $200. My cell company said I should have called them before I left and I could have signed up for a plan that would have mitigated the high roaming chages. So, beware.
Old April 1st, 2009, 01:41 PM
Admiral

You will also pay a fee per minute to the cruise line, as you are using their tower. And, some cell phones (like mine, for example) don't work at all on a ship.
Marty
Old April 1st, 2009, 02:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

There were no charges from Carnival. I would assume I was getting the signal from shore. I was told by Carnival that the do not charge for cell phone usage.
Old April 1st, 2009, 03:31 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by conway scott
There were no charges from Carnival. I would assume I was getting the signal from shore. I was told by Carnival that the do not charge for cell phone usage.
Carnival was "technically" correct but the cell provider will charge an International Roaming charge of $2.95/minute (Verizon) for service.

The cruise lines must turn off their cell service when approaching or in port. You will get a local signal in those locations and the appropriate International Roaming charges will apply. Check your provider for what the rates are.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 1st, 2009, 03:43 PM
Captain

Default Re: cell phone and PDA coverage on the Valor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dld
I read that cell phones work on the ships. Can anyone explain this? Can I really use my cell phone in the middle of the sea? I understand that there are international roaming fees. Does anyone know where I can find out how much?

WRT PDAs (I have a treo) that receives and sends emails through a goodlink server. Will that work on the ship or in the Ports? It did work when I was in Punta Cana.
You can get all the details here.

http://www.cellularatsea.com/roaming.htm

Follow the links to your carrier. All billing is done by your carrier. $2.49 to $4.99 a minute for voice, Send text for $.40-$.60, Data $.02 - $.04 per KB.

Used wisely it is a great service. If you are not careful it can cost a lot in a hurry. There was a great article about a man that ran up a $10,000 bill watching a Bears football game from is slingbox connected through the ships cell service.

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old April 1st, 2009, 04:39 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Pocono Pug

If one of your ports of call is St Thomas you do not have roaming charges because it is a US territory. On the ship and other islands you are subject to ship and local charges

Monarch of the Seas 3-92
Celebrity Century 7-96
Dawn Princess 2-97
Enchantment of the Seas 11-98
Rhapsody of the Seas 8-99
CCL Inspiration 8-08, 8-11
CCL Valor 1-09
CCL Glory 11-09