Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 2nd, 2009, 01:06 PM
Familiar Face

Default When Can/Should I Board

On my cruise the Fascination is scheduled to leave at 4:00 p.m. from Jacksonville.

When is the earliest that I can board? Is there any reason to want to board early?

Ships I've Sailed:

Carnival Fascination July 6th 2009

Sponsored Links
Old April 2nd, 2009, 01:19 PM
Admiral

We have always arrived at ports by 10:30 - 11 am and board around noon. We would rather wait in the terminal than at the hotel. We are in the first group to embark and the advantage is exploring and learning to navigate the ship. We always go to the Lido deck for lunch with our carry on because the cabins aren't usually available until 1 pm. Enjoy!

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old April 2nd, 2009, 02:07 PM
Admiral

Definitely board before 4

As CA notes you can board most ships around noon. The buffet on the Lido is open but you may not be able to get into your cabin. I'm not sure if there is a sure fire way to "beat the rush".

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old April 2nd, 2009, 02:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

We have always been at the terminal by 10:30-11:00ish as well. It gives you time to get checked in before they start boarding. There may be a small wait after checking in, but not too long. And then you can be one of the first people on board. It really is like adding a 1/2 day to your cruise. We always head up to the Lido deck, have a nice lunch (either buffet or Lido grill), grab "2 Pina Coladas" 8), and start the vacation!! Your room wont be ready for an hour or 2. But it gives you time to learn your way around the ship or if you packed you bathing suit in your carry-on hit the pools. Either way its a great way to get your vacation off to an early start. So get there early and have a great time!!

Randy and Heather

Destiny '11-booked!
The Royal Cancun '10(A.I.)
Dream '10
Sun Palace Nov. '09 (A.I.)
Glory '08
Sun Palace '07(A.I.)
Enchanment of the Seas '06
Aventura Spa Palace'04 (A.I.)
Couples Negril '04 (Honeymoon, A.I.)
Big Red Boat '93
Old April 2nd, 2009, 02:47 PM
First Mate

Default Re: When Can/Should I Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus
On my cruise the Fascination is scheduled to leave at 4:00 p.m. from Jacksonville.

When is the earliest that I can board? Is there any reason to want to board early? :?:
We arrived around 10am and were turned back at the entrance... told to come back at 12:30... RIGHT! We came back and around 10:50 and waited about 5 min. in line and then went straight to drop off for luggage. We then parked and went thru check-in (had VIP so quick but even without it would have been) sat in a chair til around 11:25 and was onboard by 11:30. If you check your ticket it states that everyone needs to be "checked" in by 2:30pm for security. As for why to board early... food is available as soon as you get on, time to get your bearings... find a good spot for sail-away.
We did the Fascination in Jan.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 06:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

We were just on Fascination last Oct. Got to port around 11 and was on by 12. Just make sure you check all the luggage you don't want to drag around until about 1 or 130. They don't open the cabin areas until 1 or later. It's hard to get thru the crowd in the Lido dining room dragging a bunch of bags with you. FYI- if you are looking for a nice and convenient place to stay try the Microtel (near the airport area). It was the nicest Microtel we had ever stayed at and they do offer a service to take you to the port and you can leave your car there. Can't remember the fee but it was very reasonable. Got to their website and check it out!
Carnival Celebration 03/06
Carnival Fantasy 12/06
Carnival Fantasy 04/07
Carnival Glory 10/07
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2008
Carnival Fascination Oct 2008
Carnival Holiday April 2009
Carnival Dream Dec 2009
Carnival Triumph Jan 2010
Carnival Dream May 2010
Carnival Elation Jan 2011
Carnival Triumph May 2011
Carnival Fascination Feb 2012
Carnival Conquest 12/09/12
Carnival Fascination 01/06/13
Old April 2nd, 2009, 08:49 PM
Familiar Face

Default Re: When Can/Should I Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsfamily
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus

When is the earliest that I can board? Is there any reason to want to board early?
We arrived around 10am and were turned back at the entrance... told to come back at 12:30... RIGHT! We came back and around 10:50 and waited about 5 min. in line and then went straight to drop off for luggage. We then parked and went thru check-in (had VIP so quick but even without it would have been) sat in a chair til around 11:25 and was onboard by 11:30. If you check your ticket it states that everyone needs to be "checked" in by 2:30pm for security. As for why to board early... food is available as soon as you get on, time to get your bearings... find a good spot for sail-away.
We did the Fascination in Jan.

Bobsfamily,

Since you were on the Fascination recently can you give a brief review of the ship and trip? :o

Ships I've Sailed:

Old April 2nd, 2009, 08:51 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail4cruising
We were just on Fascination last Oct. Got to port around 11 and was on by 12. Just make sure you check all the luggage you don't want to drag around until about 1 or 130. They don't open the cabin areas until 1 or later. It's hard to get thru the crowd in the Lido dining room dragging a bunch of bags with you. FYI- if you are looking for a nice and convenient place to stay try the Microtel (near the airport area). It was the nicest Microtel we had ever stayed at and they do offer a service to take you to the port and you can leave your car there. Can't remember the fee but it was very reasonable. Got to their website and check it out!
Gail,

If you can give a review of the ship or share pictures that would be excellent!

Ships I've Sailed:

Old April 3rd, 2009, 06:30 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail4cruising
What was the traffic like at that time? Last time I was at that port, it was a two lane (one lane going each way) road to the port. Traffic can easily get backed up.