Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 2nd, 2009, 05:21 PM
Passenger

Default Carnival Splendor

Has anyone sailed on this ship? Is it nice? How many "specialty" restaurants does it have if we prefer to dine alone? Also, we splurged and got a balcony cabin. Are they nice and do they have the LCD or Plasma TV's? (Not that it matters, I was just wondering regarding space issues).
Also, what kinds of items are on the room service menu? Any other info would be great! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old April 2nd, 2009, 11:21 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Carnival Splendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellster
Also, what kinds of items are on the room service menu?
http://unofficialcarnivalwiki.com/wi...m_Service_Menu
Old April 3rd, 2009, 12:54 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Carnival Splendor

Quote:
Has anyone sailed on this ship? Is it nice? How many "specialty" restaurants does it have if we prefer to dine alone? Also, we splurged and got a balcony cabin. Are they nice and do they have the LCD or Plasma TV's? (Not that it matters, I was just wondering regarding space issues).
Also, what kinds of items are on the room service menu? Any other info would be great! Thanks!
It has one specialty restaurant that costs $30 and I have never tried it, but everyone says it is worth it. In the dining room you can request tables for 2 or 4 so you can sit alone if you want to. The rooms have LCD tvs.

Past Cruises:
Carnival Ecstasy (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2003
Carnival Pride (7 Day Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Spirit (8 Day Exotic Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Freedom (7 Day Western Caribbean) 2008
Carnival Elation (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2009
Carnival Spirit (7 Day Southbound Alaska) 2009
Old April 3rd, 2009, 12:14 PM
Passenger

Thanks for both replies! This really helps. This will be my first Carnival Cruise and I'm excited. I usually go on Norwegian because of the Freestyle thing as my mom has disabilities and is very self conscious, making it hard for her to dine with other guests.
This isn't really related, but does anyone have any suggestions of neat shore excursions to do on the Mexican Rivera? We both just love relaxing at the beach.
Old April 4th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Beginner

Default SPLENDOR

We just returned from Cabo on the Splendor. It is a beautiful ship. The balcony room does have a LCD tv. Room service menu is breakfast foods and sandwiches. We did not order from it. There were very many big eaters at the buffet lines. We found the Rotissere which served probably the healthiest lunch on the ship. It served chicken, salads and baked potatoes. It was actually very good. The pizza was better than last year to us. The Deli was very good too. The layout of the ship with the roof that closed was a bit weird.We were on a John Mayer cruise where concerts were done on the Lido deck and it was impossible to see due to the layout. Last years Victory was a much better set up as far as the purpose of the cruise. We ate at the Pinnacle 4 nights and it was outrageous. The food and the service was amazing and worth more than the $30. extra fee. We went into the Black Pearl one night and requested a table for 2 and they acted annoyed even though the restaurant was not very busy. THey placed us in the worst table in the place. We were in the middle of an isle at a tiny table for 2 where there were longs lines of large groups of people constantly walking by both sides of out table. We had not placed our order yet , however did order 2 glasses of wine and we decided that it was too horrific to stay. We told our waiter that we had to leave. We thought that since we didn't receive the wine and didn't sign for it we would not be charged.When we checked out bill. even though my husband didn't sign for the wine, we were charged for it. Not a nice thing. The ship rocked so badly that people miss shows due to seasickness. We were not far out in the ocean since our cruise went from San Pedro to Cabo.
Old April 4th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Passenger

Default thanks Jersey!

So all in all, you were not that impressed? What is the Black Pearl? Is that a bar, "specialty" restaurant or main dining room? What are your choices if you are unable to make your 5:15 dinner assignment?...besides the buffet. Is there only one fancy specialty restaurant? Oh and one more question, sorry, but because of the covered pool area, is the outdoor pool deck small and difficult to find lounge chairs? Thanks!
Old April 4th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Admiral

Default Re: thanks Jersey!

Quote:
So all in all, you were not that impressed? What is the Black Pearl? Is that a bar, "specialty" restaurant or main dining room? What are your choices if you are unable to make your 5:15 dinner assignment?...besides the buffet. Is there only one fancy specialty restaurant? Oh and one more question, sorry, but because of the covered pool area, is the outdoor pool deck small and difficult to find lounge chairs? Thanks!
Black Pearl is the midship main dining room. There is only one specialty restaurant. Your other choices for dinner are probably the buffet, pizza, delli, or maybe one of the grills. I think the Rotissere is only open at lunch but could be wrong. Yes the main pool deck is smaller because of the roof configuration but there is a good sized second pool aft with chairs, and as I remember a third small pool up 2 decks and forward of the main pool.
61 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom X3, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X3, Triumph X2, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3, Pride
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
8 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta X2
HAL Statendam
Old April 5th, 2009, 12:12 AM
Cruise Maniac

My wife and I were on the Splendor from Valparaiso, Chile to San Francisco, California, from March 3 to 21. All in all, we loved the ship. After reading Jersey205's replay, we have to admit, the ship does have it's faults. Let's go with the positive's first. We loved the layout and the decor of the ship. The food, service an entertainment were excellent! Our mini suite was near the front of the ship and during one of our first nights our room creaked so much, that it woke me up. It was loud and noticed that even in the hallways, when the seas were not that rough, you could hear the ship creak like an old wooden ship.

We loved the Pinnacle Dinning Room, it was worth way more than the $30. The Rotisserie was the best place to eat on the Lido Deck; separate from the crowds and the best good on the Lido Deck.

We live in California and would not hesitate taking another cruise on the Splendor again. If you have any other question about this ship, please let me know.

Old April 5th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Beginner

Default Mr. Bill, You are right

Our cruise, being a music cruise put us in a different situation. The ship was lovely and I didn't mean to say that it wasn't. It was not as good a choice for the John Mayer cruise as last year, only because of the deck layout. We spoke to the people that ran the cruise and they said that Mayer himself was unhappy with the deck situation because many people could not see the shows on the deck. The rocking of the boat was actually making feel fall against the walls. Mayer himself wore a seasickness wrist band, as did almost everyone on the ship.