Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 4th, 2009, 12:54 AM
Beginner

Default Tulum ruins - Cozumel - shore excursion

I'm considering the Tulum Ruins shore excursion in Cozumel during a fall cruise on the Carnival Liberty.

Has anyone else done this excursion? Good . . . bad . . . indifferent . . .
Sponsored Links
Old April 4th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Admiral

I LOVE Tulum. Granted things have changed since I used to go there years ago. Now, it has tons of tourists, like most good tours. But still a great way to learn about the Mayan culture and see the buildings that they constructed thousands of years ago, without using any kind of mortar and yet they are still standing. Tulum was originally a fort with look out towers to watch for invaders via the sea. One cool thing that they have added is some Mayans who can write their hieroglyphics. You can pay a modest fee to have something written up in Mayan. I had our anniversary done. Really glad things have changed in that regard. as it took a lot of characters just to do a single date!
Marty
Old April 4th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

I was very let down by Tulum. I think its just a tourist trap. It looks A LOT better in pictures than in real life. Apparently the other ruins in that area are a lot better. I would save your cash and hit the no name bar in Cozumel
Old April 4th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Beginner

Well, after reading colorcrazie's response, I was all ready to sign up and be the first in line! It sounds incredible.

Then I read Deakon's suggestions.

Anyone else care to weigh in?
Old April 4th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

You can make the decision for yourself. It sounds like you really want to see them, so go!

I find that the Mayan ruins in Belize are decent as well. Lamina is too far to go on a standard stop. Altun Ha is cool, it is small and partially excavated, but well worth a climb up the big temple!!! Xunantunich (Zuni for short) had good reviews. ALL the mayan ruins in Belize are accessible to climb, unline the ones in Mexico....

Go, have fun, enjoy the experience..You won't have time to do any shopping, so you will likely be taken to a tourist trap shopping place where the prices are sky high..

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old April 4th, 2009, 07:46 PM
First Mate

I have been there and enjoyed the trip quite alot. I have also been to ruins in Belize, the ruins there are much more extensive than Tulum however it takes a whole day to do the excursion in Belize. If memory serves me correctly, the ruins at Tulum are the only Mayan ruins directly on the sea and therefore unique. Bear in mind that they are only about 400 yards square, not large, but worth it from an educational standpoint.
2004 "Glory"
2004"Victory"
2007 "Liberty"
2007" Explorer of the Seas
2009 "Valor"
2009 "Fascination"
2011 " Pride"
2014 "Adventure of the Seas"
Old April 4th, 2009, 11:48 PM
Admiral

They are to die for. I have made the trip twice in my life and they are so good to see. You have a great view of the sea from the site. I will try to post a picture of it that I had taken before.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old April 5th, 2009, 12:30 AM
Admiral

Sue H, if you are interested in history and the Mayans, the tour to Tulum is certainly worth it. Tulum is a small Mayan site compared to Chichen-Itza, and Uxmal but from a day stop at Cozumel you wouldn't have time to visit those anyway.
Tulum is the only Mayan site built directly on the ocean. Tulum in Mayan means " wall "--hence the name " walled city " It was surrounded by walls on 3 sides and the Caribbean on the other. It was a trading center as well as a lookout point for that general area of the Mayan world. The earliest date found at the site goes back to 564 A.D.True, there's shops, etc. built up around the outside area but not in the compound itself.
The only drawback that I would mention to you is that you catch a ferry from Cozumel over to the mainland , then ride a bus to Tulum. The crossing is on a fairly high speed, large ferry and at times it can be a little rough.
If you go ( and you should if you are into this sort of thing ) take a ships tour--don't try to save $ 10.00 and go it on your own. It's a day long trip and
if you're on a ships tour and should happen to run late, they will wait for you.
Go--enjoy--you can find a bar to get drunk in at home--but you can't see Tulum from home !!
--google Tulum and you can get some info.
Old April 5th, 2009, 12:45 AM
Admiral

book the tour
Tulum is very interesting, especially if one hasn't visited a Mayan site prior. The only drawback for me was buildings being roped off.

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Old April 5th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Admiral

Yes, they have roped off some buildings. Forgot about that. But, I can't blame them. Too many tourists wanting to climb all over the ruins. I confess that when younger, I was guilty of that...once. Climbed up the back of one of the towers and took photo's. Boy, was I dumb! It would have been a significant fall from the cliff down to the water.
Oh, and they have a beach area there now. So, take a bathing suit if you want a quick dip.
Marty
Old April 6th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
Yes, they have roped off some buildings. Forgot about that. But, I can't blame them. Too many tourists wanting to climb all over the ruins. I confess that when younger, I was guilty of that...once. Climbed up the back of one of the towers and took photo's. Boy, was I dumb! It would have been a significant fall from the cliff down to the water.
Oh, and they have a beach area there now. So, take a bathing suit if you want a quick dip.
Marty
I can't blame them either. We tourist at times forget just how old and fragile some structures are.

/ticker.png">
Old April 6th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Admiral

I agree, Thoth. Never gave it a thought until they started roping them off. And, I was really into Mayan history and culture....I really should have known better.
Marty
Old April 6th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by misguidedangel
I find that the Mayan ruins in Belize are decent as well. Lamina is too far to go on a standard stop. Altun Ha is cool, it is small and partially excavated, but well worth a climb up the big temple!!! Xunantunich (Zuni for short) had good reviews. ALL the mayan ruins in Belize are accessible to climb, unline the ones in Mexico......
I'm not the OP, but I'm curious as to the best choice for ruins as well. We're stopping in Cozumel AND Belize, and while I'd like to do Xunantunich AND Tulum, my boyfriend would really prefer just one Mayan ruin excursion during this cruise. "I want some variety", he says.

So, given that choice, which one would you choose?

Past cruises:
Carnival Triumph Sept 2008 - Eastern Caribbean
Old April 6th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Familiar Face

Book the tour!! I have been to the Tulum ruins twice and would go tomorrow if I could . The guide will tell all about the Mayan history which is very interesting. The best of all, is at the top of the bluff, what a view!! It is a long day but who cares, you're on vacation .

Liberty June 2012
Old April 7th, 2009, 01:38 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dear23
Quote:
I find that the Mayan ruins in Belize are decent as well. Lamina is too far to go on a standard stop. Altun Ha is cool, it is small and partially excavated, but well worth a climb up the big temple!!! Xunantunich (Zuni for short) had good reviews. ALL the mayan ruins in Belize are accessible to climb, unline the ones in Mexico......
I'm not the OP, but I'm curious as to the best choice for ruins as well. We're stopping in Cozumel AND Belize, and while I'd like to do Xunantunich AND Tulum, my boyfriend would really prefer just one Mayan ruin excursion during this cruise. "I want some variety", he says.

Xunantunich was superior to Tulum in my opinion. Ironically enough since we are speaking of climbing the ruins, I was allowed to CLIMB structures at Xunantunich. The main temple ( El Castillo ) was far more grand than anything in Tulum. Not that Tulum is bad !

/ticker.png">
Old April 7th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoth
Quote:
Originally Posted by dear23
Quote:

Xunantunich was supior to Tulum in my opinion. Ironically enough since we are speaking of climbing the ruins, I was allowed to CLIMB structures at Xunantunich. The main temple ( El Castillo ) was far more grand than anything in Tulum. Not that Tulum is bad !
Thank you for responding to my question. I was kind of leaning towards Xunantunich, but wanted to make sure I was picking the best ruin. I've wanted to see Mayan ruins since first learning about the Maya in the 5th grade...so this excursion is kind of a big deal for me.

Past cruises:
Carnival Triumph Sept 2008 - Eastern Caribbean
Old April 7th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Beginner

I just return this past Sunday, April 5, 2009 and we visited Tulum. I loved it!!!! Just make sure that you get Angel as a tour guide. The detail that he goes into about the Mayan culture was better than par. He lets you know what all the building represent. Angel is very educated about his heritage. Besides, the view is breath taking.
Old April 7th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Beginner

Default Carnival Legend - Billies Piano Bar

I just return this past Sunday, April 5, 2009 and we visited Tulum. I loved it!!!! Just make sure that you get Angel as a tour guide. The detail that he goes into about the Mayan culture was better than par. He lets you know what all the building represent. Angel is very educated about his heritage. Besides, the view is breath taking.
Old April 10th, 2009, 09:56 PM
Admiral

Bottom line is what akes a difference in visiting ruins is that you have to enjoy the history and archaeology of it to really get something out of it. If you are doing it only because of the thought it is the tourist thing to do, then you may not get anything out of it. Bottom line is it is your vacation, so make sure you enjoy it.