Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 10th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Airport transfers-Fort Lauderdale to Port Miami

Hello folks!

I'm taking a cruise out of Port Miami but chose to fly into Fort Lauderdale because it's so much cheaper (I'm coming in from NY). Has anyone else done this and secured reasonable transports to and from the ship?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old April 10th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Passenger

Back in June my wife and I used Go transporation from Fort Lauderdale airport to the port of Miami. The fare was $18. /p (plus tip) and worked quite well. After we securing our luggage we walked outside the doors and found the representative. We only waited about 10 minutes for the shared van and the ride took about 45 minutes to the port. It was much quicker (and less expensive) then waiting for the Carnival transfer. However, we did user Carnival's transfer back to the airport post cruise.

My wife and I both would rather fly into FLL as opposed to Miami because like you said, it's cheaper and we find it to be less crowded, less of a hassel, and the flights have a better on time record.

Have a pleasant trip.
Old April 10th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks so much for the advice! I've added your suggestion to my travel plans.

If you have any other suggestions for beaches in Ocho Rios, Cozumel, or Grand Cayman, I'd love to hear your input.

Thanks again!
Old April 10th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 17th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

Anyone find transportation from FLL to Port Miami cheaper than $18 per person?
Old April 17th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Someone on another post suggested www.ridesas.com. They said they were charged $15pp each way. I called up and got the same price, this was about 3 weeks ago. I personally never used this company, however I might just try. I did some checking on other sites and read good and bad, mostly good. The price is very cheap. Has anyone recently used this company?

Turn off your mind, relax, and float downstream

Jubilee July '86
Celebration May '88
Fantasy June '90
Sovereign of the Seas May '93
Windjammer Polynesia June '06
Carnival Triumph May '07
Carnival Freedom Dec.'07
Carnival Imagination Oct.'08
Carnival Destiny Dec.'08
Carnival Liberty May '09
Carnival Freedom Nov.'09
Old April 18th, 2009, 12:03 AM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Dr Plunger,

I noticed you are set to sail on the Liberty in May 09; I'm heading to the Western Caribbean in Aug 09 on the same ship. I would love to hear how the trip/ship panned out for you. Are you heading to the Western or Eastern? I'm always looking for great excusion ideas if you have any!

Thanks for the info on the transfer...very helpful. If you use them, I'd love to hear about it!

I've done the Eastern cruise before in case there is anything I can answer for you.
Old April 18th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hey llb,

My kids and I are doing the Western route on the Liberty. Flying in the day before and staying at the Epic Hotel in Miami. We are doing the Jamacian Bobsled and Dunn's River tour in Ocho Rios, beach day and parasailing in Caymans, and the Dolphinaris tour in Cozumel. Can't wait, got 42 days and counting. We have a balcony on the Panorama deck, never stayed that high before. Just so ready to get away!!!! Will be glad to let you know about the cruise when we return. But I can tell you now, that we will have a great time!!!!

Jubilee July '86
Celebration May '88
Fantasy June '90
Carnival Triumph May '07
Carnival Freedom Dec.'07
Carnival Destiny Dec.'08
Carnival Liberty May '09
Carnival Freedom Nov.'09
Old April 20th, 2009, 05:59 AM
Beginner

Hello llb,

I just came back from sailing 4/11 on the Liberty. We were on the western intry and had a great time.

We used SAS Transportation from FLL to the Holiday Inn port of miami. The rate was $15 per person. When we were waiting for our luggage the driver called to see if we had arrived. Told us to call him back when ready and get instructions on where to meet. On the way back we used the carnival transfer.

In cozumel we went to Tulum, nice but also a long excursion. Didn't have time to see much of cozumel, although Playa del Carmen seemed like a nice place.

In Grand Cayman nephews went snorkeling over a shipwreck, and i went on the Trolley roger with my 3yo niece. Our guide was dressed as a pirate and for 3 days she had to tell everyone that the pirate was just pretend and teasing.

In Ocho Rios, we did the Shaw park beach and Dunns River falls. Shaw Park seems to be a nice but older resort. Just stay away from the hotdogs. Not many people at the resort while we were there, so it was more of a calm and relaxing time. Our guide was very nice, it was funny watching her reaction to some of the other locals. She would smile and roll her eyes a bit like i can't believe they just did that.

This is getting a little long so any other questions just ask away.
Old April 20th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Runamok,

I seen that you have used SAS Transportation. How was their service, would you use them again? Would you recommend them? The price is right, however, just looking for someone with first hand knowledge. Also would use him for the round trip. It would save me a lot compared to what I was going to spend. Thanks for your input.

Jubilee July '86
Celebration May '88
Fantasy June '90
Carnival Triumph May '07
Carnival Freedom Dec.'07
Carnival Destiny Dec.'08
Carnival Liberty May '09
Carnival Freedom Nov.'09
Old April 20th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

I agree with Dr. Plunger...I plan to use SAS for my trip in Aug as the price is the cheapest I've heard/seen.

I just wondered how long you had to wait? Did you have to fill the shuttle or will they take just 2 for that price? I would also like to use them for the return; wonder if they pick up at the port. I appreciate any input you can provide Runamok!

Thanks! Hope you had pleasant weather!
Old April 22nd, 2009, 01:30 AM
Beginner

Hello llb and Dr Plunger,

Yes I was happy with SAS, and would use them again. I believe they will pick you up at the port but you may want to ask them to be sure.

The wait was very short, our driver called to check on us even before we had all of our luggage. As for only two people on a trip I don't know? We had four in our group and ended up with a private ride by accident. He tried to pick up two other people but the airline lost their luggage and they were nice enough to tell him to go ahead without them.

About ten years ago I was a dispatcher for a small airport shuttle company and it's a much harder business then many think. Dealing with usair used to drive me nuts :evil:. I could be wrong but I get the impression that SAS is a small company also. The good thing about a small company is that they know who you are, and you may get more personal service. The bad is that they may not have vans by every few minutes if you miss the first. Given the price and the fact that we came in the day before it was worth giving them a try. If it didn't work out thought we could still get a go shuttle or a cab. Hope this helps.