Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 12th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Familiar Face

Default custody form for grandchild

Can anyone direct me to a sight where I can download a FREE simple custody form to take my grandchild on a cruise? So far, all I have found are the pay sight's and I'm to cheap to pay $12.95 for a single form.
Sponsored Links
Old April 12th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Familiar Face

Do you have custody of your grandson? We do and the last time we went on a cruise we just took a copy of the court custody papers we had. No one asked to see them. Coming thru customs they just asked my grandson who we were. He was four at the time. We are going on another cruise on April 18 2009. In the meantime we have registered him for kindergarten and needed a custody paper that was "certified" by the court-has an embossed court name on it. That's all we were going to take.
Old April 12th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Familiar Face

No we don't have custody, just wanted to give our 2 granddaughter's a vacation. I was told that we need the whole "legal" form notorized and everything else.
Old April 12th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Usually your local elementary school or day care will have a standard form that they use. Many require them when someone other than parent picks up a child. See if you can get a copy of what they use and then change/customize it to whatever form you need. Probably needs to be notarized.

Almost guaranteed than when you go to the effort to get it, they will never ask you for it, but if you don't get it, they probably will ask for it.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old April 12th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Shirley Jones
Default Re: custody form for grandchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturist
Can anyone direct me to a sight where I can download a FREE simple custody form to take my grandchild on a cruise? So far, all I have found are the pay sight's and I'm to cheap to pay $12.95 for a single form.
I took my grand kids just 2 years ago and they said if she would just write permission on a paper and have it notarized that would work so that's what we did.She stated that I was granted premission even to get medical attention if needed .
Conquest 3/10
Ecstasy 6/11
Magic 11/11
Old April 12th, 2009, 07:01 PM
First Mate

Default Re: custody form for grandchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturist
We are going on a Disney cruise in a few weeks with our grandson. We used the form on the Disney site but looks like it could be used for any cruise line.

http://adisneycruise.disney.go.com/m...horization.pdf

Bill
Old April 12th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Looks like a good form to me Bill. Thanks. OP should be able to make her own from that.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old April 13th, 2009, 01:17 AM
Admiral

Each cruise line has their own form. You should not have to pay for anything more than a notary(and the cruise lines will tell you they do not authorize those companies). and you should be able to find the form on your cruise line's site or you can call and request one from the cruise line, to be mailed to your home. I am considering including my 16 year old sister on my cruise next year, since her trip to Australia fail through and I think the experience would be good for her. I am pretty sure my father and stepmother would trust me with her safety for a few days. In any case, do check out the website or call them. The cruise lines are more than happy to help, though a word of advice, do have charging restrictions placed on them or you will wind up with a huge bill.

Need some cruise help?
Old April 13th, 2009, 02:25 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to cruisecouple

Don't take any chances if you are cruising with your grandchild. We have temporary custody of our granddaughter and I had the works:

The original power of attorney signed by my daughter. The temporary custody order required me to get a signed order from the Judge (I work at a law office so I have a working knowledge of what was required). Attached to the Consent Order which was signed by me and my daughter were copies of the original temporary custody order, a copy of the hotel receipt for our stay, a copy of the cruise receipt with our itinerary as well as our flight reservation receipt and itinerary. In order to go out of the country, the Order needed to have the Judge's original signature and his raised GOLD seal affixed to it. This may be a different situation if you're just taking your granddaughter on a vacation HOWEVER you will still need: her digital raised seal birth certificate or passport, a NOTARIZED letter from your granddaughter's PARENTS (BOTH PARENTS MUST SIGN) giving you permission to take your granddaughter out of the country, copy of your flight reservations, copy of the hotel receipt where you are staying pre and post cruise, a copy of her shot record just in case, her health insurance card. Whatever you think you could possibly need take. If she has a passport already great. My granddaughter did not need a passport yet nor did I need a photo id. HOWEVER, because my granddaughter is mixed, I called Carnival pre-cruise to give them a heads up and they made a note of this fact so that we were not questioned. I covered all bases and was glad I did. I did need to present the raised seal Order when I was in Mexico. I have since obtained an Order so that I don't have to jump through hoops the next cruise.

I can understand the security considering the children that are kidnapped each year. It's a pain to do all of this but it made our cruising that much more enjoyable. You don't want to get to the terminal and be turned away and they will do that if you don't have the proper authority. If you have an attorney, it's worth the money for them to draw up a simple power of attorney so that it will be for an infinite period of time, i.e. whenever your granddaughter is traveling with you, you shall stand in the place of her parents as guardian, medical authority, etc.

A word to the wise: remember you are traveling with your grandchild and that will dictate how you cruise and the things that you will do. If you've cruised before, you may not be able to do all the things you would like to do. Our granddaughter kept her same sleep schedule which meant her grandfather and me (early 50's) were with her when she slept except for the last night when Camp Carnival was definitely on HER itinerary. CC was a God-send to her, it allowed her some freedom from us and it allowed us a break to rejuvenate. She had just turned 3 but we can't wait to take her again!