Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 12th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Questions on Costa Rica and Panama

We are currently booked on the Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas in Sept 2010. But living in Michigan and things being so uncertain here, I have been looking around and can get far better deals on other cruises. I figure I can wait another year or so for when the price lowers for that ship.
Now, I am looking at the Carnival Freedom 8 day Western Caribbean. The itinerary includes Cost Rica and Panama.
Can anyone give me any info in these stops?

What would you suggest as good excursions?
Imagination 2004
Diamond Princess 2006
Emerald Princess 2008
Imagination 2009!
Sponsored Links
Old April 13th, 2009, 05:53 PM
First Mate

We did this cruise but on the Carnival Liberty. I did just get off the Freedom and loved that ship too. Anyways, it was by far our favorite cruise.
In Panama we did the excursion through Carnival where you ride the Ferry into the canal. A lot of reviews said it was long and the bus ride was long, but we went through on a day it was a holiday and there was no canal traffic. It was so interesting. They had a buffet lunch on the ferry for us that was very good.

In Costa Rica we went on a private tour with Charlie DeSoto. Actually there were 20 of us from our ship. It had to be the best tour we have ever been on. We went to a private farm, banana plantation, a ride on the Tortunga canal and then to a grocery store for vanilla and coffee. Our guide was excellent. We really learned a lot.

Our third stop was Cozumel and that was a relaxing beach day for us.

If you do this cruise, have a wonderful time.
RC Grandeur of the Seas Oct. 2009
Carnival Liberty March 2008
RC Adventures of the Sea Feb. 2007
Carnival Liberty March 2006
Enchantment of the Seas June 2004
Monarch of the Seas March 2003
The Big Red Boat March 1997
Old April 14th, 2009, 02:08 AM
Admiral

Did those places from the Legend in 2006.
Colon Panama is a rough place so plan on some sort of tour. While some hired a taxi, I did Carnival's Panama Canal tour. It was quit interesting, but a bit pricey for the tour via ferry through the locks. There is some decent shops within the terminal, but venture beyond the secure area on one's own...in my opinion.
In Limon Costa Rica, I again did Carnival's tour . That was a train, boat, and bus tour through the rain forest. The port is basically a banana ship pier and very little else. There was very little shopping at the pier.

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews
/ticker.png">
Old April 14th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Admiral

We did the Freedom cruise there in November.

We can't do excursions because of a son with Autism...so we are "on our own"...so to speak.

We walked around Limon without a problem. I found a karaoke bar and had a blast. But we were pro-active in the fact that we did not wear our jewelry off the ship. Nothing that could be "yanked" off. Even a necklace that isn't "valuable" can cause great pain if someone decides that they "want it" and yank it off.

Colon - we had planned to hire a taxi from the port directly to Gatun and back (10 miles) but our son wasn't having a good day...so that idea got scrapped. So we just shopped there at the port. It was interesting because they have a Supermarket there. There is an entrance to the port area...but it is not restricted. Locals come and go as they wish. It was fine as long as you stay inside the "fence" (so to speak). We did not have any issues at all.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND