Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 15th, 2009, 07:28 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoth
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsfamily
[
No box for ME!... ashes shot out of a cannon... that way I can never be a zombie combat trooper!

.. lol
Of course we jest, but I hope that once the organs are retrieved that there won't be enough left to bury.
give my eyes to a blind person
give my heart to someone one step from heart failure
give my kidneys to someone on dialysis
and so on.
bury what little is left in a shoebox.
or cremate me and shoot me out of a cannon for that matter... :wink:
Thanks for understanding that it is jest.. I truly would rather not be buried and put my family thru the cost.... As for a cannon, it could be part of a new reef or anything as the remains are not me...
Old April 15th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Admiral

I digress but the point is that if we slowed down and appreciated life we would take notice of others, such as those in wheel-chairs.
Take time to smell the proverbial roses, just don't get your proverbial thumb pricked by the proverbial thorns.

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Old April 18th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad813
Truth is, whether you can walk or not, these days people consider those who are disabled as second class citizens.
I must disagree with this statement. Yes there are some that may act that way, but not all.

As others have pointed out, respect goes both ways. I have held doors open for many different people; young, old, walking, in a wheel chair, men and women. There were those in each category that were disrespectful. While I still continue to hold open doors, I am less likely to hold that door for someone that is taking more then 10 seconds to get to it, unless I can see that they are moving as fast as they can. Ohh and yes, if I hold a door open for someone, and they DO NOT say thank you, I will say loud enough for them to hear, "Your welcome."

I have heard some say the younger generations are the reason that respect and common sense manners are dying, but honestly, I have seen less respect and common sense from the older generations.

Basically what I am trying to say, is that respect starts with you and me, no matter our age, physical limitations, gender or any other classification. You get what you give. Ok so you may give more respect then you get, but at least you can say you gave it.

Old April 18th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Admiral

Thank you for bringing this up. Rudeness is unfortunatley going to happen wherever there are people. I have a damaged perenneal nerve in my left leg and hae had pain for 20 years. I always have to be careful in crowds so that someoine with bags or kids running around don't bump into my left leg or the pain - even with a mild touch - is so severe I screm to the high holy heavens. I use prescription medicated pads and meds that "block" the nerve from tansmitting pain signals to the brain.

At any rate, I always let others go ahead of me when they have an obvious physical problem or are in a wheelchair. Even when someone is walking slowly, that is an indication of a problem.

I'm at the point where I have been thinking of getting a cane so to see if it would help, I used my mom's cane (from before she had two hip replacements) when we visited her over spring break last month. When we were going places where I'd do a lot of walking, it really helped me to go a lot farther and longer before my leg started to bother me. So I am trying to find one of those canes that has a built-in little "seat" that you can unfold and sit on if you are in a long line.

When I cruise in March 2010 I will bring this along and hope that people see that though I look like I'm in my earloy 30's, I'm actually 50 and have a debilitating pain problem and to stay away from my leg.

I think you should definitely stick up for yourself and be as pushy as those idiots are. Then, as you get on the elevator, look them in the eye and smile, then say "thank you for being so kind to those less fortunate than you."
Old April 19th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2cruze
Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
Wow, that is disappointing to hear. Did you cruise on the April 5? My boss is on the splendor now it's her first cruise. Was your husband able to tender in Cabo? I have MS also, mine is recurring and remitting. So mine is very mild, my meds control it pretty well. What was your favorite part of the ship? Is there anything you felt could have been done better? Maybe the cruiseline should make one elevator a wheelchair only elevator so this doesn't happen in the future.
Hi Katlady - Yes, we cruised on the April 5th cruise - the ship is great!! (New ship smell and everything!!)

No, he was not able to tender in Cabo - there are about 10 steps to navigate in order to get on the tender from the ship and he is not able to walk at all. I did a parasailing excursion there - it was a lot of fun..

I think my favorite part of the ship was the serinity deck - no kids, no noise. It was very peaceful to just lay out and read a book. One thing I found very interesting and I probably would not have even noticed it if I had not read the posters on this board - but they do enforce the "no kids in the adult only pool" - which is on the Lido deck, Aft. They were kicking them out left and right, if they did not appear to be 18. They also appeared to take very seriously the rule about not reserving the deck lounge chairs and if a chair was 'body-less" for 30 minutes, it was up for grabs.

One thing I would love to see Carnival do at some point in the future is to provide specific information on the ship for the disabled and those who need additional assistance. For instance - the first presentation at the ship's showroom for the introduction to the ship, with question and answer time, etc - they should offer a separate one for the disabled as there are very specific issues that would be very helpful if they were addressed right away.

In the past, I have only done cruises with my other family members (sisters, daughter, etc) but this was my first cruise with my husband, so I had not been aware previously of all the issues there are. I think an elevator in each "elevator area" JUST for wheelchairs, would be a big step in the right direction for the cruise lines!
Here is Carnival's website for disabled guests. It shows the ways they should exit in an emergency and which cabins are for the disabled. You have to scroll down a little bit to the Accessible Accomodations section and click on the class of ship you are on.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_T...uirements.aspx

Past Cruises:
Carnival Ecstasy (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2003
Carnival Pride (7 Day Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Spirit (8 Day Exotic Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Freedom (7 Day Western Caribbean) 2008
Carnival Elation (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2009
Carnival Spirit (7 Day Southbound Alaska) 2009
Old April 21st, 2009, 09:09 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle1959
So I am trying to find one of those canes that has a built-in little "seat" that you can unfold and sit on if you are in a long line.
I got one off of ebay many years ago.. cannot find that exact one but here is a link to another type:

http://activehomehealth.com/Handy-Se...B000LX2MQ6.htm

Good Luck and have a great trip.
Old April 26th, 2009, 01:32 AM
Cruise Maniac

The truth of the matter is that society today moves so fast that if you are handicapped you are considered a speed bump that must be passed as quickly as possible. It is sad that people are that way, but they are.

Have you ever sat back and watched people during debarkation ? Everyone is in such a hurry to get off the ship and back to their normal routine, I always ask myself, what is wrong with this picture! I don't hurry and am glad to wait till I have to get off the ship.

A serious question though.......I was wondering why some handicapped people even take a cruise? I have seen some in such bad shape that it would be a wonder that they could possibly enjoy themselves.
Carnival Triumph Feb 09
Island Princess coming in Nov. 2009

Old April 26th, 2009, 01:44 AM
Passenger

Send a message via ICQ to luv2cruze Send a message via AIM to luv2cruze

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireba11
A serious question though.......I was wondering why some handicapped people even take a cruise? I have seen some in such bad shape that it would be a wonder that they could possibly enjoy themselves.
Wow... I can't roll my eyes up in my head far enough for that one...
5/05 - Glory to Western Caribbean
Old April 26th, 2009, 02:07 AM
Beginner

Quote:
I just cant believe you said that
Old April 26th, 2009, 08:49 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Here's a serious question for you.... ARE YOU STUPID OR WHAT?
Old April 26th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Martha C

[A serious question though.......I was wondering why some handicapped people even take a cruise? I have seen some in such bad shape that it would be a wonder that they could possibly enjoy themselves.[/quote]

To get away like everyone else. People with disabilities are still people. A change of venue is still exciting. A break from normal routine. Don't judge a book by the cover. Look at Stephen Hawking. Sure a body that has failed, but such a brilliant mind. I would imagine being able to sit out on the deck in the sun, listening to the waves, conversations is just a soothing and appealing to those that wheelchair bound, as it is to those of us who are not.

Old April 29th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

No, not a stupid or disrespectful question. I myself, if I was in the condition some of these people are would not want to go on a cruise and ruin a vacation for whoever had to take care of me. Like I said, Some of these disabled that I see are in really bad straits and it just seemed to me that it would be impossible for them to enjoy the cruise.
Carnival Triumph Feb 09
Island Princess coming in Nov. 2009

Old April 29th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Captain

Quote:
No, not a stupid or disrespectful question. I myself, if I was in the condition some of these people are would not want to go on a cruise and ruin a vacation for whoever had to take care of me. Like I said, Some of these disabled that I see are in really bad straits and it just seemed to me that it would be impossible for them to enjoy the cruise.
Others may find this strange, but I could actually see where you were coming from before you clarified your question. My husband is able bodied and I am disabled, our attitudes are completely different. My husband says all the time that if the roles were reversed he would stop cruising right away because he wouldn't want people to have to work so hard to accomodate him. I think there are varying degrees of disability that have to be considered too. My husband and I have already talked and we have agreed that once my disease progresses to a certain point, I don't want him to take me cruising, it's not that I wouldn't enjoy it but that I would feel insanely guilty about the amount of work it would be for him to take care of me on a cruise. I see where you are coming from, the question would have been better rephrased, but...
Old April 30th, 2009, 04:07 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Littletime

Others may find this strange, but I could actually see where you were coming from before you clarified your question. My husband is able bodied and I am disabled, our attitudes are completely different. My husband says all the time that if the roles were reversed he would stop cruising right away because he wouldn't want people to have to work so hard to accomodate him. I think there are varying degrees of disability that have to be considered too. My husband and I have already talked and we have agreed that once my disease progresses to a certain point, I don't want him to take me cruising, it's not that I wouldn't enjoy it but that I would feel insanely guilty about the amount of work it would be for him to take care of me on a cruise. I see where you are coming from, the question would have been better rephrased, but...

Sorry for you problems...

Quote:
BUT it's still a stupid and ignorant question...
And BTW you have no IDEA what you would do unless you were in that position...
Old April 30th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Admiral

Quote:
You weren't being mean, and I understand the context in which it was stated. Perhaps those who flame you should have read your whole post.

/ticker.png">
Old May 1st, 2009, 12:11 PM
Captain

I am absolutely HORRIFIED that happened to your husband. Some people have no heart, and no class. God Bless you because i have a loud mouth....i would have probably embarrassed him more if i had been his wife because i would have called people out on the carpet infront of everyone. Infact, if i had just been standing next to you, not knowing you, i would have called them out. (my husband hates me on occassion i'm sure lol)

Again, that is horrible, i just dont understand it at all. My mother in law had one of the worst cases i have ever seen, god rest her soul, and i will NEVER forget how horrible the woman felt...she was in a very upscale nursing home (her husband had since died) and she was only in her mid 50's, and her mind was sharp as a tack, but her body prevented her from even sitting in a wheelchair. She had a special recliner with wheels. They had an atrium that was a restaurant for the residents to take familys for lunch, it was super nice and good food. She had to be fed by her caretakers, but she loved buy us lunch and being "normal" when we visited as we couldnt take her out in a car. One day the head of the center informed us that other patients had complained about being nauseated by having to see her be fed and the fact that she had a catheter bag (btw it was concealed in a pretty flowered cover her sister sewed for her so that no one could tell what it was unless htey stared at it long enough)...so she was banned from enjoying the restaurant. I'll never forget her hurt. People can be so mean.