Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 30th, 2011, 10:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by by_the_board View Post
I chose to carry on some alcohol on my recent cruise for the same reason that I don't walk into a car dealership and pay full ticket price for a new car. I like to think of myself as an informed consumer. On my recent cruise I estimate that I saved enough $ to pay for parking at POM. I did purchase a few DOD and a bottle of wine at Harry's Steakhouse so Carnival did make some $ from me. I am a responsible consumer of alcohol beverages and don't smuggle alcohol in order to drink myself into a stupor.
There IS a major difference. When entering the car dealership, you did not give your word that you would pay full price for a car. You did not give your word that you would even buy a car.

When booking your cruise YOU gave your word that you would abide by the rules Carnival set. [even if you had not read or were not aware of those rules].

So the difference is the value you place on your integrity. Mine is worth more than all the booze Carnival sells. And I do buy my FULL share of it.
Old April 29th, 2011, 01:52 AM
Welcome Newcomer

And I'm sure that there is people on this site that work for cruise lines that go back and report the sneakiness to their companies too. College kids would sneak liquor on board. If your older than 30 act your age and just either pre order bottles from Bon Voyage or order minimal drinks
Old June 13th, 2012, 03:42 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Two words rum runners

To anyone looking for the ANSWER to the question, "How do I save $ on drinks on a cruise?" the answer is RUM RUNNERS! For the "nervous ones" here’s food for thought….. You are 1 of 2,500 cruisers on a smaller cruise they only skim X-rays to get things moving! Hide it well and you’ll never have a problem (you can google many diff. ways to place the runners and where yet I am not giving up my secrets lol) !

Plus man up please...I can't believe how many comments on this site are of ppl saying how scared they are. Alcohol is just that.. you wont be thrown off the cruise and sent to prision RELAX! No one I ever known in my years of cruising have been caught till this day, and if for some odd reason you do become part of the mere 2% who get caught that day SOO WHAT….ALARMS DON’T GO OFF THEY DON’T YELL HEY EVERYONE LOOK AT THESE PPL….NO! They will just bring your alcohol to a room with your name and room # on it and will have it sent BACK to you even, with ur baggage the last day of the cruise.

Although be weary rum runners usually don’t get returned to you because they have no real way of knowing what’s in the bag, labeled bottles are more specific. Also to the people who are here commenting "well I’m above smuggling alcohol" Okay gooooood for you A.) If you were sooo much above us than whatttt brought you to this particular link on this website named "rum runners/sneaking alcohol into cruise ships ….

b.) If u spend all day researching sites for subjects that you obviously have no interest in and feel so insecure about ur finances u mussstt give your unwanted comments to prove what? Someone is asking a question and deserves a specific answer, we dont care if you choose not to do things the way we do!

C.) Also A cruise is well known as the "poor mans vacation" because it's a great, cheap getaway for those of us who can't afford to swing to Fiji this month. If your THAT RICH TELL ME NEXT TIME YOU ARE CRUISING AND YOU CAN GO AHEAD AND PICK UP MY TAB.

Same goes for Non drinkers commenting…..really? Again feel free to read up on ways us partiers are doing things, but if you don't do it, again why leave an unwanted comment such as "well I don't drink". Thanks thats exactly the comment the person whos asking rum runners questions wants to read. We do not up at an AA meeting pounding patron shots (only to those who got nasty about it), and again what led u here.

One more thing that erked me is the bunch stating how Cruise lines read these comments n up the anty. A.) You are either an employee yourself or have never been on many cruises in your life. Cruises happen 24/7 about one million ppl travel one line per 5months, so their concern is getting ppl on the ship ASAP so passangers could start spending money n ESP. To make sure they embark on time 2,500 bags go through on the smallest of ships, are skimmed and never thoroughly checked unless it's obvious.

As I said b4 random checks usually happen round spring break time n if u have obvious bottles of alc. showin up in ur bag. I TAKE (AND MY FRIENDS…FAMILY) 2 large rum runners each time been on 10 cruises so far myself I’m 25years old so yeaa

Also to the girl who’s rum runner tasted weird the directions really help with that….you were supposed to fill them with burning hot water days b4 n massage them correctly empty. N air dry.

ALSO I even know of someone who got randomly checked on RCCL with 2 rum runners and they even let him get by with one whole runner awesome. They (the crew) aren't stupid and are human themselves don't forget. The more people drink the more money they tend to spend as well on other things on the ship and even back at the cruises bars because rum runners only last you so long and they know the business quiet well. Once partiers start drinking they dont tend to stop for a while so trips to their bars are inevitable even more so if you're liquored up on your own stash prior.

So everyone relax and just be prepared everytime I travel with rum runners in hand I always bring about 400 dollars with me as a "just in case I get randomed and I wanna drink" Yet 10 cruises later I always go home with 400 dollars still in my pocket (yes thats how much I save on drinks I am a fish lol )

My answer is there and short although I know this comment is kind of long and "harsh" yet during each cruise I scan the cruiser blogs to learn new things and always see others comment things that have nothing with the posters questions and I felt it was time to speak my mind tis all.

Cruisers are one of 4 people - The partier, the relaxer, the mingler singles, or the celebratory couples. To each is own and fun and relaxation is all that should be in mind. I hope people could take this post for what it is and nothing more .

Back to the point.. rum runners are number one choice for simplicity, others have gone with the listerine bottles which works well with clear liquors and 2 drops of green food coloring. I've personally stayed away from this option because I feel as if that is something they have had to have caught onto by now mouthwash is not a necessity that everyone and their mother has 2 HUGE bottles of listerine in their bags for lets say a weekend cruise lol. It's all about being creative and simple ENJOY everyone.

Yes ive sent this message out once before but I feel the need to help out people with questions on how to save money in this economy

Last edited by Paul Motter; June 13th, 2012 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Ed: I added paragraphs for clarity
Old June 13th, 2012, 08:07 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Try breaking up your post into paragraphs. It is really hard to read.

Thanks,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 13th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Okay - so we have heard from the people who demand the right to smuggle booze onboard without any comments from the rest of us.

So, at CruiseMates we do NOT advocate sneaking alcohol onboard. Contrary to what this poster just said about her experiences, the truth is that the cruise lines have the option of denyig cruises to people who break their rules. So, while I have never heard of it happening, it is possible that some day a cruiser will be turned away from boarding just for trying to sneak booze onboard.

Secondly - we have found that over-imbibing is one of the leading causes of problems on cruises - fistfights, arguments, falls, even suicides. People who sneak booze onboard tend to get more drunk that the average passenger. (of course, the fact that they probably tend to drink a lot even if the rumrunner is found is likely the main reason they are not denied the cruise).

Look at George Smith (the Honeymoon cruiser). he had sneaked absinthe onboard the night before he disappeared, and was drinking it that night along with the guys who are currently under suspicion.

Plus, the cruise lines are currently re-evaluating a lot of policies, so don't be surprised if they get tougher about this as well - just like lifeboat drill.

Some people are uncomfortable being around highly intoxicated people - and so other people do have a right to complain about rumrunners here - your right to do anything stops when it affects me personally. And it is against cruise line rules; just like saving chairs and muscle shirts in the dining room.
Old June 13th, 2012, 05:46 PM
Banned
Captain

Alcohol IMHO has no advantages...all it does is destroys the liver...and I am not talking about a small glass of wine at dinner.

I don't care to be near anyone who drinks in public and gets drunk, it will only get you into trouble if you meet the wrong person.

I hope the day comes when cruise lines turn away people who smuggle alcohol aboard the ships..LIke Paul said you are breaking the rules and I dont want to be around anyone who becomes drunk.

At least at min is the fact that those who drink are not able to get into a car and kill someone...too many deaths on the road today due to drunks.

Here is an idea for the cruise line...build a deck mainly for drunks block off the staircase once they are on it stop all elevators going to that floor and let them do what they want to themselfs without bothering the sober people who dont want to partake in that sort of behavoir.
Just saying.

Last edited by buttons16; June 13th, 2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old June 13th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Well said Buttons....

I know plenty of people who have an aversion to being around intoxicated people, and we don't really need to go into the reasons because they are often personal.

I personally do not mind an intoxicated person, as long as they are not sitting close to me and shouting or doing something else that infringes on my experience, and I don't shudder just from seeing someone obviously drunk (as some people do).

I even admit I enjoy having a few drinks to relax and don't see it as a crime. The truth is that lowering your inhibitions can lead to fun times, since it is relaxing and entertaining, and basically that is what cruises are for...

But I do still stand by what I said, that your right to do as you please ends at the point where it starts to affect me in a negative way. It doesn't mean I will turn you in, but I may choose to avoid contact with you drunk or sober if I don't like the way you act when you are drunk.

And that is also another point - alcohol affects different people in different ways - and it often has nothing to do with how the person is when sober. I hope people who tend to drink a lot are aware that their their personalities when very drunk may be different from what they think.
Old June 13th, 2012, 11:48 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Lmao

Ppl who get away with bringing on alcohol are Not always lushes first off. It's about $ to each is own I just can't stand the ones who post on ANYYY blog site comments that are anything but the answers to the bloggers questions. Agreed people who can't handle liquor should not be drinking in the first place. Yet hopefully everyone who is here looking for help are responsible adults as ourselves and are truly here looking for some friendly non judgmental economical solutions to getting in some adult beverages on board to enhance cruise enjoyment. To the ppl still commenting on subjects u clearly have no interest in ...stop hatin n thank u for proving my point you statistics . To the ppl looking for help my advice is above n fool proof don't let anyone scare u it's booze not coke lol it's not that big a deal attttt all .
Old June 14th, 2012, 05:38 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacyvanderbloom View Post
Ppl who get away with bringing on alcohol are Not always lushes first off. It's about $ to each is own I just can't stand the ones who post on ANYYY blog site comments that are anything but the answers to the bloggers questions. Agreed people who can't handle liquor should not be drinking in the first place. Yet hopefully everyone who is here looking for help are responsible adults as ourselves and are truly here looking for some friendly non judgmental economical solutions to getting in some adult beverages on board to enhance cruise enjoyment. To the ppl still commenting on subjects u clearly have no interest in ...stop hatin n thank u for proving my point you statistics . To the ppl looking for help my advice is above n fool proof don't let anyone scare u it's booze not coke lol it's not that big a deal attttt all .
Ahh But I do have a right to post a rebuttal if you feel you can post all about why you feel its ok to smuggle alcohol on board and break the rules.

Fact is there are people who smuggle alcohol on board and get drunk and disrupt other peoples good times.

And its also not always about saving the money, many people who do smuggle alcohol on board intend to get drunk, and if they interfere with my good times then we have a problem whcih the person drunk will almost always come out on the short end. But either way, if its for saving money or getting drunk the rules have been broken, no other way to sugar coat that.

And it just seems that for this thread the only questions that can arise is how to break the rules which im am sure is against this sites better judgement.

I also think that this thread should be discountinued just because it is about bending and breaking rules.

As far as stats are...how many innocent people are killed and injured because of drunk drivers, how many people are killed and injured on cruise ships...the stats might scare you...even one person being killed or injured due to alcohol is one too many...BTW I dont think its no lol matter.
Old June 14th, 2012, 10:29 PM
Admiral

The original post is over 3 years old so the question of how to, can I, and is it proper to smuggle alcohol aboard a ship still hasn't been resolved and never will be.
Just my personal opinion, which as I always say, is worthless to any one but me, is that If I want to take enough alcohol to stay drunk all the time, I'd rather stay home and stay drunk, that way I don't have to smuggle, hide, worry, fret, etc and can save a ton of money by staying home---have a lot more money with which to buy more alcohol, thereby enabling myself to stay drunk longer !
On the other hand, if all I'm doing, as most smugglers suggest their doing, is smuggling enough onto the ship to have a drink in my cabin before dinner, etc., etc. , then I can surely afford to buy it on the ship, because if I can afford the cruise, I surely must be able to afford to buy a drink if I want it.
Cheers, bottoms up, and all that!!
Old June 15th, 2012, 02:09 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
The original post is over 3 years old so the question of how to, can I, and is it proper to smuggle alcohol aboard a ship still hasn't been resolved and never will be.
Just my personal opinion, which as I always say, is worthless to any one but me, is that If I want to take enough alcohol to stay drunk all the time, I'd rather stay home and stay drunk, that way I don't have to smuggle, hide, worry, fret, etc and can save a ton of money by staying home---have a lot more money with which to buy more alcohol, thereby enabling myself to stay drunk longer !
On the other hand, if all I'm doing, as most smugglers suggest their doing, is smuggling enough onto the ship to have a drink in my cabin before dinner, etc., etc. , then I can surely afford to buy it on the ship, because if I can afford the cruise, I surely must be able to afford to buy a drink if I want it.
Amen to that

Need some cruise help?
Old June 15th, 2012, 07:26 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
But the latest comment was on the 13 of June, 2012...and a number of other comments since then.
However I do agree with what you have stated. As long as people who get drunk and dont put anyone in harms way or interfere with anyone then they can do whatever they want to themselfs.
Old June 18th, 2012, 11:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have taken my two favourite adult beverages, Tawny Port and single malt scotch aboard in my carry on bags and never had a problem. I tried putting it in my checked baggage once and got nailed. I guess the way I wrapped it to prevent breakage.
Some days you get the chicken and some days just the feathers.
Take a cork screw and avoid the corkage fee or tip the head table waiter an extra $20 and see what happens.
Old June 19th, 2012, 03:02 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Alcohol on Carnival

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board. However, you may bring one bottle of wine or champaign 750 milliliter, per person 21 years old or older. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should you wish to consume this wine in the dining room. No other alcohol (whisky, vodka, liqueur, etc.)

Alcoholic beverages will not be sold or served to anyone under the age of 21

Alcoholic beverages purchased in the ship’s gift shops or in ports of call will be retained by Carnival until the end of the voyage.

This is one of the highest income for the cruise lines and they want you to buy alcohol on board.
Old June 19th, 2012, 04:51 PM
Administrator
Admiral

The bottom line is that there will always be the people who skrimp and save to take a cruise - and bless their hearts.

If these are good people who just want to have one of the finer things in life, and taking a bottle on board truly makes a difference in their vacation who am I to tell them what to do?

It is against cruise line rules - yes. So don't abuse it. Don't take on three bottles and get obnoxiously drunk. People like that have no excuse for themselves. But if you are reasonable about it, I don't personally care.
Old July 1st, 2012, 05:02 PM
Familiar Face

What a great idea! I had never heard of these before. I have read where the Nazi's at Carnival sometime open sealed water bottles to check the contents.

I think I will put my camocap bottle of 'water' in the suitcase and take my chances.

My Blog can be found at: http://capndinghy.multiply.com/
Old July 1st, 2012, 06:26 PM
Admiral

As I posted on the other alcohol thread from 2005....

you can also order a bottle from Bon Voyage and have it waiting for you in your cabin....since there are folks who like to have a beverage in their cabin while they are getting ready for dinner.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old July 1st, 2012, 06:30 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhp View Post
As I posted on the other alcohol thread from 2005....

you can also order a bottle from Bon Voyage and have it waiting for you in your cabin....since there are folks who like to have a beverage in their cabin while they are getting ready for dinner.

I have used Bon Voyage for my past 5 cruises. So what did they do...raised the prices! Go figure. It is fun to sneak now and then!

My Blog can be found at: http://capndinghy.multiply.com/
Old September 25th, 2012, 05:38 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Try this

Old October 4th, 2012, 07:40 PM
Welcome Newcomer

This past cruise out of P.R. we packed a bottle of rum in our bag. When we got our bag there was a little "nice" letter saying they were throwing it away. It had been opened in the hotel we were staying in. If it is unopened they will save it for the last evening and bring it to your room.
We did find that you could order a bottle sent to your room and the prices were not bad.
But in the past we have brought rum,vodka, etc. By putting it in plastic bottles and then into our suit cases, that always worked. But remember the bottle price was not bad on the ship.
Old October 6th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd View Post
I would recommend you use the search function to learn about bringing alcohol on board. There have been several recent threads on the topic.

As far as buying alcohol in port, you might be able to sneak small amounts on board and take to your cabin (you go through a scanner and your bags get xrayed each time you embark). But generally they will take the booze away from and and deliver it back to your cabin the last night of your cruise..
Ditto for any alcohol purchased from the ship's store. Of course anything you buy at the bar you can consume right away

If you purchase the mini bottles in the ship's shop you're allowed to bring them back to your cabin.